Page 9 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Monday looks to be a day.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    A change appears to be on the way. Fingers crossed.

Indeed. Imma try and head up Sunday with a buddy I'm trying to get back into skiing.

I'm kicking myself for not buying a MHM pass this year.

The parking reservation beta has me bummed. Who knew it would be that highly booked out?

Some idiot wrote Gov Brown about bachelor parking reservations. Dipshit
    yepper

Quote Originally Posted by interloper View Post
    Some idiot wrote Gov Brown about bachelor parking reservations. Dipshit
    Ha! Really? You have a link to the story?

Yup. I think Mt B is trying, even though I’m not convinced that parking was the right metering method.

This AM was pretty quiet - a TT80 kinda day. Had to wait for maybe five chairs before loading on all lifts. But parking was locked out.

Still willing to give them some space to figure it out. They need more than two days of data to work with.

Did run into a guy with a legit beef today. He bought an alpine and a Nordic pass. But they won’t let him reserve 7 days for the alpine and another seven for the Nordic. Even though families are reserving under each parent and each kid - family of four could reserve 28 days advance parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Ha! Really? You have a link to the story?
    See Shea Long’s post @1230 today

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1697064730523148/#_=_

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Yup. I think Mt B is trying, even though I’m not convinced that parking was the right metering method.

This AM was pretty quiet - a TT80 kinda day. Had to wait for maybe five chairs before loading on all lifts. But parking was locked out.

Still willing to give them some space to figure it out. They need more than two days of data to work with.

Did run into a guy with a legit beef today. He bought an alpine and a Nordic pass. But they won’t let him reserve 7 days for the alpine and another seven for the Nordic. Even though families are reserving under each parent and each kid - family of four could reserve 28 days advance parking.
    Yah... tough deal.

Selfishly, I want to be able to use my 7 days on the IKON pass - it was a deciding factor for me. Perhaps I underestimated the parking demand. All that pales in comparison to all the locals with full passes that are locked out. That's a really shitty deal.

I'm wondering if there are piles of unused reservations? People jumped in the first they could, reserved it all and then didn't use the reservation and did not give it up/

I reserved the first seven week days of the season, knowing I wouldn’t use all of them and that weather, etc would change plans. I think a lot of people had the same idea.

There are penalties for not cancelling timely.

It’s a first world problem.

It’s a first world problem.
    That it is. Perhaps it's more akin to people flipping out and cleaning the stores out of TP. And then doing it again a few weeks. Only instead of hoarding shit tickets, they've hoarded Mt Bachelor parking reservations.

geez.... don't jinx it.

The New and improved Oregon 2020/2021 Ski Season Thread

While I don’t know the acres per person they are aiming for, Bachelor’s daily capacity and parking availability depends on a bunch of factors....weather related lift closures (full mtn vs just frontside), packed cars or single driver cars, cancellations, midday departures from the hill, etc.

What I can say is that I know the people up there and they are trying to do the best they can to get as many people as possible skiing while trying to keep people safe and navigating state and local health rules. Three days of data is too little to judge the parking program in its entirety and I know that as they learn more, they will adapt the policies. This whole thing was a new deal for everyone...roll out was funky, messaging about the nuances of the reservation system needed to be clarified, a lot of folks I know didn’t even act quickly enough and just didn’t address it till it was too late, some people gamed the system (I heard they were cracking down on folks with more than 7 pre-reserved says)....

There are basically 176 days left in the typical Bachelor season...folks gotta turn down the rage and not be myopic. This disease is killing 3000 people a day at the moment but if you look at Oregon compared to the rest of America, especially the “you know which” states, our states precautions are paying off in significantly lower numbers of infected and deaths. Do I personally know people suffering financially and watching their business dreams circle the toilet because of the state of things? You know I do. And not being able to get a parking rez and go feel free and happy for a few hours on a mountain while the rest of life runs down the shitter is an additional kick in the nuts. It sucks. Now I’m not here to argue COVID (so let’s not, there are other threads for that)...just saying that this is the first real global war/pandemic event most of us have lived thru and if it were an actual World War instead of an invisible pathogen, it might hit differently and folks’ attitudes might not be so whiny and selfish. Is Bachelor “perfect” and able to please everyone? Hell, not even in a normal year...someone always be trippin’ (No Jamal...YOU be trippin). It is what it is...you just gotta accept it and adapt with grace. I suppose losing my home to a fire last year readjusted my emotional response to “Life” fucking up your dreams like the way COVID has fucked up the ski season. Shit fucking happens.

If the weather cooperates we will probably be skiing off Summit before year end, OBX and NWX by Monday (?).

Don’t like it? Ski somewhere else. It’s that easy. I’m sure Silent Rock will happily watch drivers go speeding past, racing other cars on icy winter mountain roads to ski heavy snow. Maybe after they get turned back from a full parking lot, they can stop at Antfarm for a coffee on their way home.

Or get a Hoodoo pass and ski with Jonesy for $5 extra. Talk about value!
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    While I don’t know the acres per person they are aiming for, Bachelor’s daily capacity and parking availability depends on a bunch of factors....weather related lift closures (full mtn vs just frontside), packed cars or single driver cars, cancellations, midday departures from the hill, etc.

What I can say is that I know the people up there and they are trying to do the best they can to get as many people as possible skiing while trying to keep people safe and navigating state and local health rules. Three days of data is too little to judge the parking program in its entirety and I know that as they learn more, they will adapt the policies. This whole thing was a new deal for everyone...roll out was funky, messaging about the nuances of the reservation system needed to be clarified, a lot of folks I know didn’t even act quickly enough and just didn’t address it till it was too late, some people gamed the system (I heard they were cracking down on folks with more than 7 pre-reserved says)....

There are basically 176 days left in the typical Bachelor season...folks gotta turn down the rage and not be myopic. This disease is killing 3000 people a day at the moment but if you look at Oregon compared to the rest of America, especially the “you know which” states, our states precautions are paying off in significantly lower numbers of infected and deaths. Do I personally know people suffering financially and watching their business dreams circle the toilet because of the state of things? You know I do. And not being able to get a parking rez and go feel free and happy for a few hours on a mountain while the rest of life runs down the shitter is an additional kick in the nuts. It sucks. Now I’m not here to argue COVID (so let’s not, there are other threads for that)...just saying that this is the first real global war/pandemic event most of us have lived thru and if it were an actual World War instead of an invisible pathogen, it might hit differently and folks’ attitudes might not be so whiny and selfish. Is Bachelor “perfect” and able to please everyone? Hell, not even in a normal year...someone always be trippin’ (No Jamal...YOU be trippin). It is what it is...you just gotta accept it and adapt with grace. I suppose losing my home to a fire last year readjusted my emotional response to “Life” fucking up your dreams like the way COVID has fucked up the ski season. Shit fucking happens.

If the weather cooperates we will probably be skiing off Summit before year end, OBX and NWX by Monday (?).

Don’t like it? Ski somewhere else. It’s that easy. I’m sure Silent Rock will happily watch drivers go speeding past, racing other cars on icy winter mountain roads to ski heavy snow. Maybe after they get turned back from a full parking lot, they can stop at Antfarm for a coffee on their way home.

See ya at the Dew. (

IMO, the parking policy is the least intrusive way they could have gone about a reservation system. I'm not sure how much it works as a public health measure, but I think it's gonna allow people to ski more than a lottery reservation would. I'm more concerened about Mt.B's community getting its shit together mask/distance wise in order to keep the resort open. All I could think on opening day was "if someone from OHA/etc was actually watching this, we're gonna have a very short season".

I agree with this all. I'd be a little frustrated if I had a pass. I've been fairly successful getting the days I want, but I sit on my but all day working and can keep on it. Without a pass or multi day tickets, it's going to be crazy expensive, but needed for piece of mind at this point. I just hope it all stays open...

Edit: Well said Tap. I hope all is well on your end, and our paths cross this winter for a turn or two.

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    I agree with this all. I'd be a little frustrated if I had a pass. I've been fairly successful getting the days I want, but I sit on my but all day working and can keep on it. Without a pass or multi day tickets, it's going to be crazy expensive, but needed for piece of mind at this point. I just hope it all stays open...

Edit: Well said Tap. I hope all is well on your end, and our paths cross this winter for a turn or two.
    word up
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post

I get all that. And yes, there's some additional perspective needed here.

I can only speak for myself. I've been fortunate to be employed during the pandemic, as has my wife. However, it seems that as it drags on, it drags me down. I've been able to get by with the hope that I will be able to ski one of my most favorite places in all the world - Mt Bachelor - which would provide a much-needed respite, even a legit mental health break. In particular, that latter point about mental health is a real thing. I've lost one good friend to suicide and another to a drug and alcohol-fueled fatal car crash. It may seem like a luxury to ski, but it can also provide a much-needed break. And not having it sucks. That's all.

And truthfully, I was hoping for a bit more community with brother and sister maggotry during this pandemic, not the present disposition of if-you're-not-local-tough-and-go-ski-elsewhere. But I'm just some life-long Bachelor interloper...

/sweetblogbro

In any case, be well, think snow, and I hope to make some turns with some of you this winter.

I can only speak for myself. I've been fortunate to be employed during the pandemic, as has my wife. However, it seems that as it drags on, it drags me down. I've been able to get by with the hope that I will be able to ski one of my most favorite places in all the world - Mt Bachelor - which would provide a much-needed respite, even a legit mental health break. In particular, that latter point about mental health is a real thing. I've lost one good friend to suicide and another to a drug and alcohol-fueled fatal car crash. It may seem like a luxury to ski, but it can also provide a much-needed break. And not having it sucks. That's all.

And truthfully, I was hoping for a bit more community with brother and sister maggotry during this pandemic, not the present disposition of if-you're-not-local-tough-and-go-ski-elsewhere. But I'm just some life-long Bachelor interloper...

/sweetblogbro

In any case, be well, think snow, and I hope to make some turns with some of you this winter.
    Bobcat... I echo your sentiment. This year isn't about competition. It's about a much needed respite. I am grateful to the ski industry for finding a way to stay open. My attitude reflects my younger years as a skier in Vermont. 1980's to be precise. I just want to be outside, make a couple friends, get fresh mountain air in my lungs, and maintain my sanity. Skiing has always been my white powder of choice. This year, I need my drug more than ever. I don't care if it's on a groomer, a big open powder bowl or dust on crust. I don't want to play the one up game or any of that. It's time to count our blessings and realize that we are fortunate we still can ski.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    Bobcat... I echo your sentiment. This year isn't about competition. It's about a much needed respite. I am grateful to the ski industry for finding a way to stay open. My attitude reflects my younger years as a skier in Vermont. 1980's to be precise. I just want to be outside, make a couple friends, get fresh mountain air in my lungs, and maintain my sanity. Skiing has always been my white powder of choice. This year, I need my drug more than ever. I don't care if it's on a groomer, a big open powder bowl or dust on crust. I don't want to play the one up game or any of that. It's time to count our blessings and realize that we are fortunate we still can ski.
    Precisely. The other thing I forgot to mention is that the biggest thing that bums me out is what seems like the hoarding of parking reservations. It's kind of like people feaking out and buying a pallet of Costco TP, depriving the rest of us. The upside is that at least there's some skiing to be had this year. It's just a helluva lot harder to get it.

I hope to make some turns with you and others this year. My most memorable day last year was with thefortrees, k2skier112, and showing LeftyT around on a sneaker powder at Meadows. It was glorious. More of that, please.

/sweetblogbro

I share your feelings on Bachelor, and am also but an interloper with the fortune to have a family vacation home in Bend to spend more time there than I otherwise would.

Did you use the 7 day advanced reservations when it went live? I thought it worked well. I was able to secure the week between xmas and New years, my wife has the week before, and the other member of the family snagged Presidents day and MLK weekend. I have also been able to secure three days next week using the week of 7 days available to us all.

Interlopers and the advanced 7 days tickets aside, I honestly, feel like it's going to be ok. Right now, capacity appears to be very limited with not much terrain open. That's going to change. Even with limited terrain, tickets open up most everyday I've been watching as folks that grabbed these windows cancel due to other commitments. Perhaps not weekends yet, but certainly this week.

It's work, but certainly for a worthy cause! (Making turns in the cool mountain air!)

Question.

Last time I was a Fusion Pass holder I was somewhat of a break of noon kind of fella, now as a HRM first chair devotee. I'm curious if it is allowable to shred down to the lower lifts at T-line, and wait for chairs to start loading, or do they discourage that?
    Training for Alpental

I share your feelings on Bachelor, and am also but an interloper with the fortune to have a family vacation home in Bend to spend more time there than I otherwise would.

Did you use the 7 day advanced reservations when it went live? I thought it worked well. I was able to secure the week between xmas and New years, my wife has the week before, and the other member of the family snagged Presidents day and MLK weekend. I have also been able to secure three days next week using the week of 7 days available to us all.

Interlopers and the advanced 7 days tickets aside, I honestly, feel like it's going to be ok. Right now, capacity appears to be very limited with not much terrain open. That's going to change. Even with limited terrain, tickets open up most everyday I've been watching as folks that grabbed these windows cancel due to other commitments. Perhaps not weekends yet, but certainly this week.

It's work, but certainly for a worthy cause! (Making turns in the cool mountain air!)
    I didn't. Unfortunately, I don't have certainty in my schedule that far out, so it's difficult, if not impossible to plan my weekends out that far in advance. For any ski trips I take, they are 6 months in advance type of thing or a last-minute, jump-in-the-truck sort of thing. That tweener time of weeks to months or so out is tough. And I certainly don't want to be that guy sitting on a reservation when it's not certain that I can go skiing. So it goes for 2020. #firstworldproblems

To add insult to injury, I was all stoked to get out on Sunday at Meadows and drag a buddy along. I checked reservation availability and saw that Sunday was available. Sweet! Then reality hit; it was for next Sunday. FML So if anyone has a reservation for Sunday that they think they can transfer to me, I'd be quite grateful.

yeah you can ski down a little early and wait for them to let you load when they start at 9. way too early and they will discourage you though. people getting suited up way too early this season is why they have been having to send out all of those wait with your car your car until 8:00 messages.

you fusion passing it again this year?
    Question.

Last time I was a Fusion Pass holder I was somewhat of a break of noon kind of fella, now as a HRM first chair devotee. I'm curious if it is allowable to shred down to the lower lifts at T-line, and wait for chairs to start loading, or do they discourage that?

Question.

I've dropped down early. Never encountered any resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    yeah you can ski down a little early and wait for them to let you load when they start at 9. way too early and they will discourage you though. people getting suited up way too early this season is why they have been having to send out all of those wait with your car your car until 8:00 messages.

you fusion passing it again this year?
    I normally pick up a Meadows pass and a Ski Bowl night pass. But I was going to sit the season out and not fuck with reservations and the like. But Fusion pass was an added perk of buying the wife a new Subie.
    Training for Alpental