Page 27 of 94 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    A truck or a truck camper? I thought the former was a no-go.

Favor looker's right or backside (probably find a buddy for that?) on good snow days. Avoid going too far looker's left to avoid a relatively low angle cat track. The looker's right cat track is much zippier.

I don't know shit about shit when it comes to doing control work, but I was stunned they opened HC as early as they did and even more stunned they opened it again without saying a word of warning regarding the incident. That's an uncommonly big dumb place for a big dangerous slide. Should have been grounds for a courtesy heads up, if not an outright evaluation of wtf went wrong with control work (I realize it could have been an honest mistake or a freak coincidence, but still, it's far enough out of the ordinary to say something). It could have been as simple as "heads up: there was a big slide on half moon yesterday. Be sure to ski with a buddy, and bring your shovels/beacons/probes if you have them."
    Next time you guys get off the lift read the signs about what is to be expected in gated terrain as far as avalanche conditions and the gear that should be on your person while skiing in there. It is mind blowing to me that people think that it is completely acceptable to be skiing in gated terrain and not wearing avy gear. There was a court case in Colorado that set precedence for events such as this if I remember correctly which essentially stated that is a risk that you assume while skiing at a ski area.

Also keep in mind that while you are skiing in the heather canyon drainage that you are skiing within the largest avalanche slide path within a ski area boundary in all of North America. There are not many place around that have slide paths that are fully capable of producing D4.5-D5 avalanches and this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Very nice - yesterday or today?

Quote Originally Posted by noparking View Post
    Next time you guys get off the lift read the signs about what is to be expected in gated terrain as far as avalanche conditions and the gear that should be on your person while skiing in there.
    Yep. I’m a total fucking JONG, only been skiing at MHM for a short while but the information about the potential danger in Heather Canyon is everywhere. It’s on the signs in the resort, it’s on the trail map, and Thursday it was on their website where they talk about the conditions and lift statuses (they specifically said ski with a buddy and carry a shovel/probe). If someone is too stupid to get the message it’s not for lack of exposure.

Next time you guys get off the lift read the signs about what is to be expected in gated terrain as far as avalanche conditions and the gear that should be on your person while skiing in there. It is mind blowing to me that people think that it is completely acceptable to be skiing in gated terrain and not wearing avy gear. There was a court case in Colorado that set precedence for events such as this if I remember correctly which essentially stated that is a risk that you assume while skiing at a ski area.
    I have to admit I always made a distinction btwn PR & Heather re: need for gear. I have changed that based on TFT’s post abv

Also keep in mind that while you are skiing in the heather canyon drainage that you are skiing within the largest avalanche slide path within a ski area boundary in all of North America. There are not many place around that have slide paths that are fully capable of producing D4.5-D5 avalanches and this is one of them.
    Great info
    Thanks for the perspective

Yday
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    You don't think there's any pressure from management to open Heather ASAP? Just curious, really, not being aggressive.

I have never, ever seen or heard of heather opening, (since the chair went in) before the chair could run.

Maybe opening without the chair hopefully weeds out those that shouldn't be there...

But the biggest issue I have is, info/education about conditions. If it wasn't for this site, I'd have no idea there was a slide, and since I ski solo most of the time, knowing of a slide would be hudge in deciding on skiing Heather or not
    If you're relying on this site for hc conditions and avy potential, you shouldn't be going in there. I've dropped in numerous times only to see cracking slabs and bailed under the rope to the inbounds side of things. Not worth it. You guys are requesting a ski nanny. Take responsibility for your decisions, risk tolerance, knowledge or lack thereof, and actions. Shit slides in there, patrol can't nuke every inch, although sometimes it feels as if every good line ends in cooked bomb debris snow.....

Sure there's pressure, if it figures in to the rope drop then yes I agree there is a problem because it shouldn't.

@mattig, Dude, how many people do you think skied every inch of that zone after that slide? Its mhm during the holidays. If something else was going to go, it would have likely gone.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yes, I realize you work there and always take criticism of the resort personally. I'm not criticizing. I love mhm... Might even be a bit of a fanboi. Just expressing a bit of surprise. Everyone knows about the signs at the gates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    If you're relying on this site for hc conditions and avy potential, you shouldn't be going in there. I've dropped in numerous times only to see cracking slabs and bailed under the rope to the inbounds side of things. Not worth it. You guys are requesting a ski nanny. Take responsibility for your decisions, risk tolerance, knowledge or lack thereof, and actions. Shit slides in there, patrol can't nuke every inch, although sometimes it feels as if every good line ends in cooked bomb debris snow.....

Sure there's pressure, if it figures in to the rope drop then yes I agree there is a problem because it shouldn't.

@mattig, Dude, how many people do you think skied every inch of that zone after that slide? Its mhm during the holidays. If something else was going to go, it would have likely gone.

What was "dude" worthy? Doesn't really matter I guess. It's ok for me to be surprised they didn't find a tactful way to mention this. In their shoes, I may have done the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone was surprised about that.

Anyway, more stoke. Less of my philosophical bullshit. Apologies. Back to it.

https://www.skihood.com/en/about-us/...e-and-defiance

TBH, if any ski area starts a vector, all the areas in the state will get shut down...let’s not fuck it up

Wow, people suck. Good response from MHM. I was a lifty at Snowbird back in the 90's and there were so many entitled doosh nozzles there that were so rude. I can't imagine what t would be like there now.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Yes, I realize you work there and always take criticism of the resort personally. I'm not criticizing. I love mhm... Might even be a bit of a fanboi. Just expressing a bit of surprise. Everyone knows about the signs at the gates. What was "
    Not sure where you got that idea, but I don't work there. Hell, I don't even live within 800 miles of Mt Hood.

Not sure where you got that idea, but I don't work there. Hell, I don't even live within 800 miles of Mt Hood.
    Well shit.

Jackson Hole?
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Jackson Hole?
    Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Jackson Hole?
    I think “Up North” = canadia
    [if you’re looking at a web browser, that’s his “location”]

I should have gone up today
    temps & lines look better than forecasted

^^ confirmed AC... pleasant surprise. Love me some bottomless creamy windbuff with refills

Alright, faak...
    at least go slay my share of lines for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post

I would have no idea "this quickly" there was a slide...
    I rarely go in Heather early season for just this reason. The fact that A Zone to Moon Bowl doesn't slide more often is miraculous and a testament to the quality work of MHSP

Ever been employed by MHM? I have

The pressure on Ski Patrol to open terrain is immense

MHM keeps incidents hidden well, they have always been good at turd polishing

They may have been posting these warnings all along, but I see a Twitter post from Meadows advising beaconshovelprobe in Heather Canyon today.

https://twitter.com/hoodmeadows/stat...202376704?s=21

Fack...38f snowing sort of and 50 mph winds at the Doo. My feet are even wet.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

^^^As we have discussed - this the price of getting paid to ski

Oh yea, and to be revered as a God

Well at least the $5 burritos are at deal & free coffee.

Stiff winds and blowing snow today. Still fun. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1609648470.004639.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	356058
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Lines are bulbous today. Largest of the year for me so far. Some true PNW snow. Copious blasting this am before open.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1847.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	356114

The New and improved Oregon 2020/2021 Ski Season Thread

Fucking hell

HRM “early” load at 9.45
    1 lap per hour & no one on the slopes
    All hanging in the lift lines
    [spot reserved for HRM load line panorama]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A1F2300-6C9E-4A17-BC54-6199C4E8D0B4.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	365.5 KB 
ID:	356162
    Last edited by ::: :::; 01-03-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Right? That is a solid pass for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.