Page 91 of 94 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2347
    One gouge at a time. What no parking fee? Dogs are extra. Our local hill isn't local anymore. But neither is Bend.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    My guess is that POWDR took it in the balls, the chest and head for lost revenue on concessions and lessons. They did a brainstorm session and came up with the brilliant idea to charge for the paid line cutting gravy train.

I mean where else are Bend locals going to go ski that as easy and convenient as MtB? POWDR knows they have a captive customer base. Now they want to see how much they can milk their customers. Plenty of new residents dropping 7 figure sums to buy into the dream this past year. POWDR has all the data and they figure they can squeeze some more cash out of some wealthy tourons and locals.
    100%

I don't disagree with any of that. Two dumbs don't make a smart. Still, I suppose dumb pressure is better than no pressure. I'm rooting for the good guy to prevail here, but jaded/cynical, unfortunately.

I think the pressure point is heckling the FTWs in the morning lineup. No snowballs (assault!) but a chorus of boos and a boombox blaring "Send in the Clowns" or "Who Let the Dogs Out?" could have an impact.

Or "Money" by The Beatles or Pink Floyd

My guess is that POWDR took it in the balls, the chest and head for lost revenue on concessions and lessons. They did a brainstorm session and came up with the brilliant idea to charge for the paid line cutting gravy train.
    You know I keep hearing this trite platitude - that ski areas got screwed from Covid. But honestly, I haven't seen any evidence that's true.
    I can't speak for Bachelor, but at MHM, the lots were NEVER so consistently full as the last ski year.

If I were to guess, I think MHM made more profit the last year than any recent season. And I think this coming year will likely be better if season pass sales and price are any guide. (I can guarantee you, if they were getting murdered profit-wise, we'd all be hearing the violins come out in the press about how neglected and poor the resorts are - and I've not heard a peep of that. So, yeah - I'm not believing they got screwed by the pandemic.)

The part I do believe is they had a brain-storming session about how to extract even more money (they didn't need any excuse to do that, pandemic or no) - and this was what they came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    You know I keep hearing this trite platitude - that ski areas got screwed from Covid. But honestly, I haven't seen any evidence that's true.
    I can't speak for Bachelor, but at MHM, the lots were NEVER so consistently full as the last ski year.

If I were to guess, I think MHM made more profit the last year than any recent season. And I think this coming year will likely be better if season pass sales and price are any guide. (I can guarantee you, if they were getting murdered profit-wise, we'd all be hearing the violins come out in the press about how neglected and poor the resorts are - and I've not heard a peep of that. So, yeah - I'm not believing they got screwed by the pandemic.)

The part I do believe is they had a brain-storming session about how to extract even more money (they didn't need any excuse to do that, pandemic or no) - and this was what they came up with.
    I know little about ski resort finances, but I would imagine beverage and food play a decent part in revenue, and that had to be down during covid.

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    I know little about ski resort finances, but I would imagine beverage and food play a decent part in revenue, and that had to be down during covid.
    Oh, I'm sure they lost _revenue_ from food/bev - but I still think their *profit* overall was up.

It sounds like the car business. Or the record, or movie business.

Them: "We'll sell you XXX for $1 over invoice!"
    Us: "Tell me, does "invoice" equal net cost?"
    Them: mumble, mumble, mumble...
    Us: "What's that?"
    Them: "Ahem. Well, when you include the yacht cost-sharing plan, the private island lease and the blow and hookers expense, we didn't make any money at all! So you should feel so very sorry for us! We're practically having to work over here! It's no wonder we're trying to steal from you!"
    Us: "Hmmm. I'm having a hard time conjuring tears..."

I'm surprised POWDR hasn't tried to get a resort lodge built as close to the ski hill as possible.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Inn of the 7th Mt. >Inn @ Powdr Mt.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I'm surprised POWDR hasn't tried to get a resort lodge built as close to the ski hill as possible.
    I vaguely remember MtB had overnight accommodations for a while way back in the day but that went away with a remodel of West Village Lodge.

If you want to get closer than 7th Mountain, you’re looking at leasing USFS land. That would present a “financing challenge” even if feds would go for a 99year lease. And being so close to Wilderness, you can be assured the permitting process will resemble a very expensive clusterfuck. Much of it likely underwritten by the Bend and Sunriver hospitality sector.

Finally the bike park won’t attract significant overnight stays in summer months, further challenging the financing.

Some hacked off skier updated Mt. B's Wikipedia page - looks like Ramsay Bolton and Cersei Lannister are now in charge over there

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powdr.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	389083

^^^ And it hasn’t been changed as of 0645 PDT on 10/15/2021

Refunds:
    Thank you for writing to us. We understand your concerns. Our management team has approved offering a refund for those guests who request it. This opportunity to receive a refund is an exception and is only available for a short time. If you change your mind after receiving a refund, any future purchases will be at the pricing at that time. Please respond to this email ASAP to confirm your decision.

INFO DESK

Mt. Bachelor LLC & Sun Country Tours

info@mtbachelor.com

541 382-1709

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    If you want to get closer than 7th Mountain, you’re looking at leasing USFS land.
    I can't think of anywhere in the US, in the last 50 years, where the Forest Service leased public land to a private company to build overnight lodging. There are some historic cabins on Lake Wenatchee and Bumping Lake in Washington that are Forest Service owns and leases to private homeowners. But that was all done like 70 years ago and I haven't seen the Forest Service do anything like this since.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I can't think of anywhere in the US, in the last 50 years, where the Forest Service leased public land to a private company to build overnight lodging. There are some historic cabins on Lake Wenatchee and Bumping Lake in Washington that are Forest Service owns and leases to private homeowners. But that was all done like 70 years ago and I haven't seen the Forest Service do anything like this since.
    Mt hood national forest 99yr lease program for private residences comes close, but STR is specifically called out as not allowed. It also was initiated a long time ago.

Elk Lake? Not sure if any improvements would be allowed. Heck lets have a heli service too.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Refunds:
    Thank you for writing to us. We understand your concerns. Our management team has approved offering a refund for those guests who request it. This opportunity to receive a refund is an exception and is only available for a short time. If you change your mind after receiving a refund, any future purchases will be at the pricing at that time. Please respond to this email ASAP to confirm your decision.

INFO DESK

Mt. Bachelor LLC & Sun Country Tours

info@mtbachelor.com

541 382-1709
    There were a bunch of tough guys on the Facebook groups. It will be interesting to see if they follow through or get real quiet on the outrage of this social injustice!

Well, “social injustice” may be strong when pointed at the rich folks who have the means to ski, but I’m still rooting for the tack presented by Wyden.

It offers a bit of wild card counterpunch to the money grabbers doing “what the market will bear”

There were a bunch of tough guys on the Facebook groups. It will be interesting to see if they follow through or get real quiet on the outrage of this social injustice!
    Lots of talk probably not much action. Facebook knee jerk. The only time a FT would be worth it, is Holidays/Weekends or a Summit opening after its been closed for a week. Might have a little friction there.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Well, “social injustice” may be strong when pointed at the rich folks who have the means to ski, but I’m still rooting for the tack presented by Wyden.

It offers a bit of wild card counterpunch to the money grabbers doing “what the market will bear”
    It was tongue in cheek.

Lots of talk probably not much action. Facebook knee jerk. The only time a FT would be worth it, is Holidays/Weekends or a Summit opening after its been closed for a week. Might have a little friction there.
    Indeed. I have always thought the summit lineup hours before the lift opens was funny. Add the FT where those that waited for hours get to watch the FT's ski up and on in front of them as the lifts load would take it to the next level of humor.

All that aside, stoked to see snow it the mountains. While it is a very far cry from Bachelor, excited to be less than 30 minutes from the ski hill!!! Hoping to make it down there for some turns with you all, but the lodging situation has changed and the drive is also much further...The question is, will I wait for you at the top of the lift after my no line FT. (kidding)

It was tongue in cheek.
    I got that - that was clear in your post
    my point was: the net worth of the victim of this bait/switch isn't the problem. Despite the privilege already in place, it's still an asshole bait/switch move & worth some kind of resistance, even if in the dressings of "equity"...because there is otherwise zero leverage. As pointed out, who's going to leave the only lift served nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Might I propose a mag meetup in hood river to make some turns at meadows then head over to the alien landing site/spiritual cortex in trout lake?

https://www.eceti.org/
    Only if we can finish it up with a Country Girl Cherry Pizza at Solstice.
    Training for Alpental

Indeed. I have always thought the summit lineup hours before the lift opens was funny. Add the FT where those that waited for hours get to watch the FT's ski up and on in front of them as the lifts load would take it to the next level of humor.

All that aside, stoked to see snow it the mountains. While it is a very far cry from Bachelor, excited to be less than 30 minutes from the ski hill!!! Hoping to make it down there for some turns with you all, but the lodging situation has changed and the drive is also much further...The question is, will I wait for you at the top of the lift after my no line FT. (kidding)
    Pops still in CO?

Pops still in CO?
    Full-time Bend now.