Page 25 of 94 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Yup, looking forward to my first storm day of the season...

Parking drama update
    Sent the following last night

Their response late AM today

And my rejoinder

Toadman - you have an iPhone, no? Can you reserve without a cc on file?
    I have an iPhone. I had to put my cc info in to make a reservation. I haven't taken out the data since I set it up last Monday. But, right now, I would just like to be able to reserve another day of skiing for Saturday. Is that asking too much!?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

OK thanks.
    No you are not asking too much IMVHO. I am finding that parking slots open about 0600 day of so maybe you can still get a space. Trust in Ullr to provide!

OK thanks.
    No you are not asking too much IMVHO. I am finding that parking slots open about 0600 day of so maybe you can still get a space. Trust in Ullr to provide!
    I have been randomly checking the app. Just happened to show some availability while I was riding the Red chair solo around noon. Awesome! I said to myself. Got to the point of "purchasing" the free parking spot, and nope. It wouldn't confirm the reservations. Tried a second time, and again, no joy. Then just like the mythical great white buffalo, it was gone. I will keep trying and randomly checking, and will also take your sage advice about the 6am time frame, and see if I have some luck. Might have to beg the wife to drive me up on Saturday. Boy, that's going to cost me if it comes to that!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Probably the trip to come get you at end of day will be more expensive than the first dropoff.

More on parking drama - Shortly after I sent my last response to MtB parking people, I was invited to participate in a Parkwhiz survey about my experience. So I let them know, and gave them one star - copied the bug report I sent to MtB.

Got this response
    Hi TBS,

Thanks for writing in! I'm sorry to hear about your poor experience. We take all customer issues seriously and your feedback is much appreciated.

Please know that the system now requires for you to enter your credit card information for a more secure booking, and to ensure that people who book are the ones who will really show up to ensure that we monitor your safety at the premises as well.

Sorry for any inconvenience! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Happy New Year!
    Blance
    My response
    Gotta say, this answer is really stupid

I am using Parkwhiz to reserve FREE parking at Mt Bachelor Oregon
    Please explain how exposing my sensitive credit card info
    • makes my booking more secure, and
    • makes me more safe while skiing.

Also please explain how exposing my credit card info can be used as a form of reservation verification. The Mt Bachelor parking crews only care about whether the QR code scans. They don’t care in the slightest if the license plate matches, let alone whether I have a matching credit card.

Please reduce my rating to negative three stars due to this lame response
    I thought about giving the revised rating in Ogdens, but I doubt they could comprehend the scale.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

The New and improved Oregon 2020/2021 Ski Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    despite the warm interlude Fri/Sa, I'm thinking this next week's precip gets us to a Heather open

lots of swe in the forecast
    They opened 1/2 moon gate this afternoon and a dude was fully buried in a slide. Doubt they will open it this weekend. I was the third person there and helped dig him out... the guy survived and is so lucky. Nobody was beeping or had probe/shovel. First guy on site heard the buried dude yelling under the snow and dug out his head and torso by hand. I was skiing down (my 2nd lap in there) and they yelled over for help, I rolled over and started digging the guy out with my skis. His waist down was fully locked in like concrete and still in one of his skis. Seemedlike he had a knee injury once we got him out, but it was hard for him to tell. Adrenaline and shock can mask those problems. Patrol arrived after 10-15 mins and brought the guy out on a toboggan.

I doubt they will open Heather this weekend. It was a big fuckin slide - looked like storm slab that ripped on a crust layer 20-30cm down. The whole bowl ripped, 100 yards wide and same distance down. Carried the guy several hundred feet.

Last time I’ll ski through the gates without my avy kit. I am reflecting back on today, and I’m super lucky. It would have been me (I was planning to ski the exact same line) if I dropped in minutes or seconds sooner. Could have been me on the first lap too... Glad this had a happy ending and the guy survived. Be safe out there, mags.

A couple pics from a friend I was skiing with.

You can see the crown a few hundred feet above us, spanning the whole bowl.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0277.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	279.0 KB 
ID:	355608

Digging the dude out:

Name:	IMG_0364.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	355611

Name:	IMG_0363.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	355609

right on fortress!!!!.......good on ya++++

Christ. What a lucky set of circumstances. Makes me feel like less of a danger dork when I gear up and end up skiing groomers with a full kit.

Glad you were there at the right time!
    (Sorry the dude was there at the wrong time)

i will share this with my teen too [but not his mother...cuz she’ll just stew on it]

[i was just scoffing the other day at some guy carrying his avy gear in the resort...time to adjust my attitude]

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    Christ. What a lucky set of circumstances. Makes me feel like less of a danger dork when I gear up and end up skiing groomers with a full kit.
    Yeah I developed a false sense of security at meadows... “they wouldn’t open the gates if a slide was likely”

Good reminder that even though it is lift-served, Heather canyon is still big, avy prone backcountry terrain

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Yeah I developed a false sense of security at meadows... “they wouldn’t open the gates if a slide was likely”

Good reminder that even though it is lift-served, Heather canyon is still big, avy prone backcountry terrain
    Yup me too
    Gonna start carrying regularly

thx for posting here on this

Your the man fort!
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Damn, that's some serious shit going down. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Damn fortrees, good thing people heard him. Was he solo or did he have someone(s) with him?

Glad you and everyone else is safe.
    Skiing solo

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Your the man fort!
    Negative, the first guy on site who heard him and cleared his head is the one who made a difference.

Yea, solo in heather is mistake number 1

Guy just used up a huge amount of luck

Good thing you and the others were there. Ya think about patrol showing up 15 minutes later - not a lot of time to find and extricate.

Yea, solo in heather is mistake number 1

Guy just used up a huge amount of luck

Good thing you and the others were there. Ya think about patrol showing up 15 minutes later - not a lot of time to find and extricate.
    Cell coverage in the canyon is not guaranteed either

Good point. I am curious how/when patrol was alerted

" Glad this had a happy ending and the guy survived..."

Pretty sure you're first in line for a ' Happy Ending ' my brother.

Solid work, mag.

I peep primarily to find others, but also to be found.

Dude was lucky you were there. Great reminder on safety thoughts. Re-evaluation commencing.

MHM website says 50% chance at lower heather open tomorrow (no lift tho, use runout to HRM)

Telemetry still stacking snow

Excellent work TFT! Glad he got out and you were not caught as well. I roll full kit on storm days even at my little hill. Last year was a sobering reminder that anywhere will slide eventually.

FKNA — atta boy!!

Last year silver taught me to always beep and wear my vest with shovel/prove... why not right?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The New and improved Oregon 2020/2021 Ski Season Thread

Filling in today at MHM

Jr getting some of that cream cheese

Name:	IMG_1829.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	741.5 KB 
ID:	355654

Name:	IMG_1828.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	600.8 KB 
ID:	355655

Solid work TFT! I always carry on big days regardless of location for this reason. Appreciate the reminder.