Page 78 of 94 FirstFirst ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2347
    Jonesys a little further south. He’s always welcome at mhm but don’t think he was talking about that

Bachelor guy like fort mentioned. Tbs & I will be rolling up to Palmer next month for a day. Looks like another blustery day on the Butte.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Jonesys a little further south. He’s always welcome at mhm but don’t think he was talking about that
    I was replying to a post that got deleted. Should have quoted it...
    Was asking about how soft the snow would get, here through the weekend, with the warm temps, and how set the snow would get at night...

Yes... I was the jong who asked the questions. Thanks Gregorys. I've never crayoned. Only done the liberal application and light scraping of yellow swix. Now I have the purl yellow. But it says it only works up to 35 degrees (Snow temp.). I am at tflat. Which faces due south. Probably gonna wait for Palmer to open.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    Yes... I was the jong who asked the questions. Thank's Gregorys. I've never crayoned. Only done the liberal application and light scraping of yellow swix. Now I have the purl yellow. But it says it only works up to 35 degrees (Snow temp.). I am at tflat. Which faces due south. Probably gonna wait for Palmer to open.
    structured bases at this time of year

So.... is the faucet turned off in CO? Already pretty dry out there.

Yeah... I've got structure ground into them from my last shop tune. It's more fine than coarse though. Asked for it specifically. Might go up on Sunday.

As to the "sticky" snow issues. This came up in another thread recently.

The short answer, from my experience is;
    Structure makes very little difference for very wet snow - like spring corn/slush. (or rain etc). I'm pretty sure it's going to do a lot for a race, but, they're not racing in the really sticky snow you see when it's 50F. And I've tinkered with structure quite a bit. It may help some, but it's not all that helpful. [That is my experience, perhaps someone else has a bunch of first hand experience that says otherwise, but I've specifically attempted to adjust structure for spring etc.]

I've also tinkered with a bunch of different waxes - hot waxed. Warm yellow. Multi-temp. Hard/cold wax. Low flouro, med flouro, multi-temp flouro, moly. And hot-waxed, I never felt it was a huge improvement. It probably helped, but only a bit.

I've tinkered with crayoning on a few different waxes. And IMO, that's been the ticket. And the change is really dramatic. Yet the data-set I have is only from a 5-6 days. And not all were crazy sticky. So, I'm a bit hesitant to claim it's the holy grail. But the few times I've messed with it, I've always come away really surprised. And I get 5-10 runs before it feels like it's starting to wane. Crayon on pretty hard, don't bother corking, etc. I don't even bother drying them. Hop off the lift, flip them over and scribble like mad. Perhaps two minutes. Nothing else I've done even comes close.

I'll certainly be up on Sunday and I'll ski till I worry I'm going to face-plant really hard. Then I'll go home.
    I'll bet I get most or all of a day in.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    So.... is the faucet turned off in CO? Already pretty dry out there.
    Yes, going warm and sunny for the next week.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    As to the "sticky" snow issues. This came up in another thread recently.

The short answer, from my experience is;
    Structure makes very little difference for very wet snow - like spring corn/slush. (or rain etc). I'm pretty sure it's going to do a lot for a race, but, they're not racing in the really sticky snow you see when it's 50F. And I've tinkered with structure quite a bit. It may help some, but it's not all that helpful. [That is my experience, perhaps someone else has a bunch of first hand experience that says otherwise, but I've specifically attempted to adjust structure for spring etc.]

I've also tinkered with a bunch of different waxes - hot waxed. Warm yellow. Multi-temp. Hard/cold wax. Low flouro, med flouro, multi-temp flouro, moly. And hot-waxed, I never felt it was a huge improvement. It probably helped, but only a bit.

I've tinkered with crayoning on a few different waxes. And IMO, that's been the ticket. And the change is really dramatic. Yet the data-set I have is only from a 5-6 days. And not all were crazy sticky. So, I'm a bit hesitant to claim it's the holy grail. But the few times I've messed with it, I've always come away really surprised. And I get 5-10 runs before it feels like it's starting to wane. Crayon on pretty hard, don't bother corking, etc. I don't even bother drying them. Hop off the lift, flip them over and scribble like mad. Perhaps two minutes. Nothing else I've done even comes close.

I'll certainly be up on Sunday and I'll ski till I worry I'm going to face-plant really hard. Then I'll go home.
    I'll bet I get most or all of a day in.
    That's where I am coming from. Will bring my wax with me to crayon on after the ironed on layer wears off. Thanks for answering me without jonging me. By the way.. Tflat closed again today.

Ski Bowl open this weekend. 1200 to 2000 Saturday and Sunday.
    "Let's be careful out there."

that manually applied wax lingers for maybe a run max, imho

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Manually meaning ironed on?

Wax 'em up, ski, and if it gets too sticky, just go drink a beer (or three).

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Yeah, I'm the first to say that my experience really defies what I expected. I suppose it could just be a massive placebo effect - though in the cases I've mentioned, it was an "unblinded crossover study." (A pair of us were dragging - mine after a hot wax just prior to the day - and after doing the crayon thing - the impact was dramatic and apparent to both of us. The second person was different each time.)

And it lasted way more than a run or three.

So, I dunno - I'm totally aware that we imagine a bunch of stuff in our minds that isn't real - but if that's the case here - well, it's like really impressive drugs or something. (And no, we didn't snort, smoke, inject, or ingest the wax.)

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    Manually meaning ironed on?
    no, crayoned [should have clarified, sorry]. it's not getting to the pores at all, just superficially coating
    i'm not any kind of race tech, tho, so ymmv & gregorys's experience stands for what it is

pragmatism

Zardoz NotWax/BaseBoost is also great for sticky spring/summer snow. I find it lasts 3-5 runs (~10,000 vertical feet) before it wears off. Quicker and easier to apply than rub on wax.

I don't have any warm wax. I might take a can of Spam from the cupboard and do some unscientific testing tomorrow. This isn't considered dangerous, is it? I mean, I am not all of a sudden going to go mach looney on some slushy groomer or something, right?

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I don't have any warm wax. I might take a can of Spam from the cupboard and do some unscientific testing tomorrow. This isn't considered dangerous, is it? I mean, I am not all of a sudden going to go mach looney on some slushy groomer or something, right?
    It probably won't make you go fast, but you can use it to make a sandwich later, so at least you got that going for ya. And as long as you're testing, you might see what impact mayo has too!

A bar of Ivory soap each run crayoning cross hatch patterns is also a cheap way to get some glide when water stiction is a problem ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

This
    Adjourn to beer whenever F < 1.6E

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    It probably won't make you go fast, but you can use it to make a sandwich later, so at least you got that going for ya. And as long as you're testing, you might see what impact mayo has too!
    Good idea. Packing some bread and cold cuts.

Big WD40 fan. Spray & go....
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

That was a fun read. Hittin' it tomorrow.

The New and improved Oregon 2020/2021 Ski Season Thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1164.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	371865

Name:	PXL_20210417_170623672_Original.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	371879

Name:	PXL_20210417_162735765_Original.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	371880
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1162.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	371866  
    Last edited by thefortrees; 04-17-2021 at 05:36 PM.