Page 60 of 94 FirstFirst ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 2347
    It’s getting wild for the end of the week. Watching that storm head over the coast range last night was cool with the full moon and clear sky’s in the valley.

Sruffian, Corvallis is a cool town. I think you like it there, and I hope you het settled in easily. I live just north and do
    a lot of town and medical stuff in Corvallis because we prefer driving there instead of Salem. I owe you a welcome beer at Sky High or Block 15 now that I was rude and told you Oregon sucks, so shoot me a PM (if you want) when you get settled. Also, I think you will find, like me, that Hood is more accessible for us mid-valley folk because of freeway and the mostly double lane of 26. Driving the single-lane Santiam (N and S) can be brutal during storms.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Who said Hoodoo is flat? Jonesy? Have your groms school him.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Can you elaborate on the ‘activities’? Spoiled as I’m used to driving 15 minutes to a backcountry ski trailhead and 5 mins to a bougie grocery store

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    you can go ski laps in the rain on Mary's Peak with my son.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Hold on to your butts!

Attachment 364766
    Name:  mhm snowforecast.PNG
Views: 406
Size:  229.9 KB
    I've found the actual snowfall in-between the 2

Wind is getting sporting up there.

Name:  wind.png
Views: 422
Size:  36.9 KB

The New and improved Oregon 2020/2021 Ski Season Thread

My wife grew up in Corvallis and her parents still live there ... she got offered her dream job in Eugene about 4 years ago at a higher salary than Bay Area would have offered doing not-her-dream-job so it was a no brainer. And for the ultimate no brainer part of this, grandma is en route to my house right now so I can get out of the house, run errands, and get a break from taking care of my daughter!

Don’t get me wrong, skiing is fun and I have a lot of fun at WP and Hoodoo, and I’m pretty pleased that they are both a much shorter drive now than CP was from Oaktown, and traffic is non existent here. I also figured that for steep skiing it’s a 1 hour flight from EUG to SEA and 1.5 hours flight to SLC ... but that was an easier thing to say pre-pandemic and pre-kids, hah!

Oh yeah, if bougie grocery shop is your thing you won’t have to worry too much about that either. Market of Choice is pretty decent - but from May through October the farmers market, various farmstands, and CSA offerings are pretty off the hook, pretty much anything grows well midvalley. And October - January wild mushroom hunting is pretty off the hook too! (Oregonians are really polite but good luck getting anyone to give you details about where they foraged their haul from!)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I got my masters in Corvallis. Sleepy town with smart people and lots of great countryside. If I could land a job there equivalent to my pay in PDX, I would relocate and gladly ski WP and The Doo.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    My wife grew up in Corvallis and her parents still live there ... she got offered her dream job in Eugene about 4 years ago at a higher salary than Bay Area would have offered doing not-her-dream-job so it was a no brainer. And for the ultimate no brainer part of this, grandma is en route to my house right now so I can get out of the house, run errands, and get a break from taking care of my daughter!

Don’t get me wrong, skiing is fun and I have a lot of fun at WP and Hoodoo, and I’m pretty pleased that they are both a much shorter drive now than CP was from Oaktown, and traffic is non existent here. I also figured that for steep skiing it’s a 1 hour flight from EUG to SEA and 1.5 hours flight to SLC ... but that was an easier thing to say pre-pandemic and pre-kids, hah!

Oh yeah, if bougie grocery shop is your thing you won’t have to worry too much about that either. Market of Choice is pretty decent - but from May through October the farmers market, various farmstands, and CSA offerings are pretty off the hook, pretty much anything grows well midvalley. And October - January wild mushroom hunting is pretty off the hook too! (Oregonians are really polite but good luck getting anyone to give you details about where they foraged their haul from!)
    For chanterelles, head west. Find a landing the end of a logging road with dark reprod timber (50ish yo trees) and head into it. When you get turned around in the pucker brush, don’t cross a drainage, and never try to follow the drainages to get out, always head uphill and find the road. PM me for more specific locations. Meaningless dick wave by me really, but Mary Lloyd (Mary’s Peak) was my 4th great-grand aunt and her father John (5th great) was a principal early landowner/stealer. So there an Oregonian telling you where to find mushrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    I got my masters in Corvallis. Sleepy town with smart people and lots of great countryside. If I could land a job there equivalent to my pay in PDX, I would relocate and gladly ski WP and The Doo.
    Corvallis to Govy 143min
    Corvallis to Hoodoo 124min
    Corvallis to W. Pass 118min

Sorry, Jonesy but Hoodoo would have to be the last option, not because of the resort itself but Santiam Hwy (North and South) is rolling the dice on getting stuck for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_adk View Post
    Wind is getting sporting up there.

Name:  wind.png
Views: 422
Size:  36.9 KB
    ptffff

Name:  wind 2-22-21.PNG
Views: 399
Size:  35.4 KB

Trying to decide if afternoon/evening laps at MHM is worth the drive.
    Wind certainly seems to be cranking up.
    Think the quads will continue to run?
    (And today looks like a little less wind, and thus more lifts...)

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    Sorry, Jonesy but Hoodoo would have to be the last option, not because of the resort itself but Santiam Hwy (North and South) is rolling the dice on getting stuck for a long time.
    You say this like it’s a bad thing...

Did my undergrad at OSU. Great time, skied a bunch but my ‘rents had a house in McKenzie Bridge (spending winters in AZ) and my roommate’s parents had one at BBR.

Two of the Ski Devils live in Corvallis
    But their parents also have a cabin at Camp Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Trying to decide if afternoon/evening laps at MHM is worth the drive.
    Wind certainly seems to be cranking up.
    Think the quads will continue to run?
    (And today looks like a little less wind, and thus more lifts...)

Thoughts?
    If they're not planning on closing at by 3, I'd head up and try to get a few laps in. Nights like tonight are either great or awful.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    You say this like it’s a bad thing...

Did my undergrad at OSU. Great time, skied a bunch but my ‘rents had a house in McKenzie Bridge (spending winters in AZ) and my roommate’s parents had one at BBR.

Two of the Ski Devils live in Corvallis
    But their parents also have a cabin at Camp Sherman
    If I had a cabin in Camp Sherman, I would be a Doo regular. Also, I know most of the Corvallis and mid Valley folk head to the Doo. In fact, Corvallis Ski Swap is a great event that supports the Santiam patrollers.

That Hwy is rolling the dice though. It’s narrow and winding.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_adk View Post
    If they're not planning on closing at by 3, I'd head up and try to get a few laps in. Nights like tonight are either great or awful.
    The snow sure isn't stacking up, like I'd expected. (A couple of inches since 5a, at the time I write this.)

A couple of inches after the cut up sun-baked stuff from yesterday isn't going to cut it! And the radar map doesn't look like it promises a whole ton - though the last couple of 15m samples seem better.

If we were at 6"+ already, and more likely, I'd be way more ready to drop things and head up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    That Hwy is rolling the dice though. It’s narrow and winding.
    Paging Schralph and Teh Poacher about the joy of Hwy 126...

The will get back to you in a bit, they are currently in a 2h delay Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9914FA97-113C-427F-B17B-7BA8365196F4.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	364836

Got my terminal degree in Corvallis. Loved living there. Skied a lot at WP, the Doo, and Ski Bowl. Also skied a lot around Tombstone Pass. Not sure how much snow that area has been getting recently, though. The mtb in the Mac Dunn is okay, has been getting a little better over the years, IMO. Can get pretty sloppy in the winter. Alsea Falls riding isn't too far. Great road riding. Fairly close to the coast. Lots of gravel roads to ride in between. Mary's Peak is fun for mtb. Plenty of trail running ops around. I always thought the co-op groceries in town had a great selection and there is some good food in CorVegas if you know where to look. I'd move back there for sure. Ashland is nice, but honestly I miss the rain, doom, and gloom of the Willamette Valley (and I think I appreciate the collective intelligence of Corvallis vs. whatever it is we have here). OT - Ashland isn't what it was a decade ago, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Bring on the snow!
    Last edited by donetlynx; 02-25-2021 at 05:17 PM.

The Beaver fever runs deep. Just got done from a half day private. Great snow, the "winds" keep it creamy. Bring your skinnies friday tbs, them devils will ski das pow. Anyway hoodoo just seems flat, it's short & steep. Hood/Govy are a total shitshow. But I do like the skiing there. Got some homegrown Oregonians here. I think tbs is a native as well.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Go Beavs. They need all the help they can get!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Bringing the GPOs and maybe Goats. This will be a good day to teach the Devils to ski pow <bwahahaha>

Yup, I’m a card carrying SNOB - Sons of Native Oregon Born. My moms peeps came to OR Territory in 1840s

Weather update - snow is blowing sideways at La Ponderita.

OT >Speaking of relatives my grandparents ran a dairy farm in Cloverdale. Nestucca river runs through the farm. Summers on the farm were memorable.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Hwy 126 is a cakewalk all the way to the Santiam Junction (Hwy 22). Hwy 22 is a great road as well. Both were designed prior to the 55 mph speed limit being enacted so they are wide with good shoulders and mostly 45+ corners. Hwy 20 is the only bad one, it’s the OG route to the valley and windy as fuck til you get to Sweet Home.

Bit of trivia, the original wagon road goes past Big Lake Airstrip (behind the Doo), past Sand Mountain and drops down the hill to Fish Lake. It continues from there down what is now Hwy 20 to Sweet Home. You can ride that section from Big Lake to Fish Lake on your conveyance of choosing anytime of the year.

More trivia, the ODOT station at the Santiam Jct is where John Arthur Ackroyd applied his craft.

Details here: https://projects.oregonlive.com/ghos...way20/marlene/
    Crippled but free, I was blind all the time, I was learning to 'ski'.

The best backcountry advice ever given on the TGR forums:

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Tits are a good thing, if making a good decision so you can live to see tits again is all that motivates you then so be it!!!

Hauled a few loads of logs down Tombstone into Foster. There use to be 2 Ravens that would fly next to the Cab pulling the hill or jaking down the West side. Would throw then Crackers that they'd catch in mid air.

Name:  20210225_174838.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  41.0 KB