Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I'm still rocking a Patagonia Ascensionist as well, but most days I use nothing but a base layer, a 4oz. windbreaker, and some sort of breathable insulation i can throw over the top as needed. I have pretty much no use for a hardshell. I've never use a hybrid piece, but if I skied in CA I'd probably look for the the lightest (least warm) one I could find.
    Does that piece have the heat sealed seams ?

I've also had neoshell, hardshells and nothing really works except trying not to tour in rain
    I had one and i liked it but be very careful about using a hot dryer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've skinned in the Ferrosi hooded jacket a few times so far this season after mostly using the Houdini wind jacket for the last 5 years. I've found it a little warmer and more breathable, so I plan to keep using it on cooler, more dry days. I'm not sure how it will handle skinning in warm/snowy conditions yet. It's a lot more viable to ski in because the sleeves are longer (has thumb loops) and the collar/hood seal up a bit better. The Houdini wind shell is at least very thin (adds little unnecessary warmth) and the fabric is so thin that even if it gets a bit wet it can't really absorb the water and tends to dry out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I've skinned in the Ferrosi hooded jacket a few times so far this season after mostly using the Houdini wind jacket for the last 5 years. I've found it a little warmer and more breathable, so I plan to keep using it on cooler, more dry days. I'm not sure how it will handle skinning in warm/snowy conditions yet. It's a lot more viable to ski in because the sleeves are longer (has thumb loops) and the collar/hood seal up a bit better. The Houdini wind shell is at least very thin (adds little unnecessary warmth) and the fabric is so thin that even if it gets a bit wet it can't really absorb the water and tends to dry out quickly.
    I used a Ferrosi for awhile but recently switched to the Arc'teryx Gamma LT. They are similar but the Gamma offers more weather resistance and features a more protective hood. It breathes surprisingly well and fits a little looser than the Ferrosi. It also has a dropback hem and a longer cut.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Does that piece have the heat sealed seams ?

I've also had neoshell, hardshells and nothing really works except trying not to tour in rain
    I had one and i liked it but be very careful about using a hot dryer
    Yes, it has those fancy seems. I've avoided the dryer based on reports of failure. It has aged extraordinarily well. Better than any hardshell, which I have a knack for delaminating.

What makes the jacket so good isn't the welded seems, however, its the tight, non-stretchy weave fabric. Stretchy fabrics always absorb more water in my experience, and generally block wind less. They need to be heavier/thicker/warmer for the same weather protection. But I guess they feel nicer when you try them on in the store, which is why 99% of softshells feel like they're made of elastic bands. When I wear a softshell it is almost always over a windshirt, and it is usually windy as fuck above treeline. Wearing the Ascensionist over a Houdini the wind does not get through. The combo replaces a hardshell and breathes much better.

But I live in CO and it's dry. Hybrid softshell for a warmer, wetter, climate makes sense to me.

yeah I liked the piece, I remember wearing it at -25 at asulkan hut with no base layer

I had a minor separation which i fixed with a dab of AQS ( what else? )

but then the whole back seam let go, huge hole for which i got warranty
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Neoshell and event for me with polartec alpha insulation piece

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You must tour above the Arctic circle or not have sweat glands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Patagucci Houdini Air. No drop pockets which is a bummer but light, breathable and windproof (although cold). I wear this 12 months a year, but it's not going to help in the pouring rain. Easy choice in the intermountain.

What makes the jacket so good isn't the welded seems, however, its the tight, non-stretchy weave fabric. Stretchy fabrics always absorb more water in my experience, and generally block wind less. They need to be heavier/thicker/warmer for the same weather protection. But I guess they feel nicer when you try them on in the store, which is why 99% of softshells feel like they're made of elastic bands. When I wear a softshell it is almost always over a windshirt, and it is usually windy as fuck above treeline. Wearing the Ascensionist over a Houdini the wind does not get through. The combo replaces a hardshell and breathes much better.

But I live in CO and it's dry.
    I felt the Ascenionist didn't breath well enough when I was in Colorado. For Colorado touring, where it's dry, I much prefer true softshells. I like that they block less wind - way better for keeping you dry and comfortable. And they don't get wet out there for me...?

The Ascensionist a good Polartec Powershield replacement. I really liked the it as a sidecountry piece, where you step off the lift with no extra heat from working hard, so you need to have good wind protection when you ditch your puffy so you don't overhear going up/out. And then you also aren't sweating profusely in the valley because it breathes enough for the down.

Am I nuts to consider a hybrid jacket like the Dynafit Beast as an outer/descending layer for ski touring in deep/wet snow climates? If I am in over the head dense pow am I just going to get drenched? I've been using a Westcomb Cruiser lightweight eVent jacket for this purpose for the last 10 years. It's served me pretty well but it's getting worn out. Or is this exactly what the breathable hard shells are for?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I felt the Ascenionist didn't breath well enough when I was in Colorado. For Colorado touring, where it's dry, I much prefer true softshells. I like that they block less wind - way better for keeping you dry and comfortable. And they don't get wet out there for me...?

The Ascensionist a good Polartec Powershield replacement. I really liked the it as a sidecountry piece, where you step off the lift with no extra heat from working hard, so you need to have good wind protection when you ditch your puffy so you don't overhear going up/out. And then you also aren't sweating profusely in the valley because it breathes enough for the down.
    The Ascensionist I'm taking about is around 10 years old and does not have a membrane. It's a softshell. I didn't realize they had recycled the name for a totally different product.

Thanks. This post lead me to the Norrona Lyngen. I bought one and I'm really impressed so far.

The windstopper fabric is only on the tops of the arms, shoulders and hood. Everything else is some kind of stretchy material without a laminate that is extremely breathable. It feels so much better hiking or skinning in the Lyngen than in a gore tex pro shell. In general, it is way softer and lighter than a gore tex shell. No idea how it'll work if it is snowing since I've only used it on days when it isn't snowing so far. Durability seems fine and I like the wrist gaiters.

For reference, I'm 5'11'', 195 lbs. I wear a medium in arc'teryx and the large Lyngen fits me really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Thanks. This post lead me to the Norrona Lyngen. I bought one and I'm really impressed so far.

The windstopper fabric is only on the tops of the arms, shoulders and hood. Everything else is some kind of stretchy material without a laminate that is extremely breathable. It feels so much better hiking or skinning in the Lyngen than in a gore tex pro shell. In general, it is way softer and lighter than a gore tex shell. No idea how it'll work if it is snowing since I've only used it on days when it isn't snowing so far. Durability seems fine and I like the wrist gaiters.

For reference, I'm 5'11'', 195 lbs. I wear a medium in arc'teryx and the large Lyngen fits me really well.
    Sounds like the rest of the fabric is very similar to the ferrosi. You should try one out sometime and ask yourself what good those wind stopper panels actually do. IMO, the only time a membrane does any good is when it blocks more moisture from the outside than it prevents escaping from the inside.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    Highly breathable waterproof hardshell is an oxymoron. Granted I haven't tried a ton of stuff but I have yet to find anything better than Pattaguch nano-air hoody for touring. It's relatively water resistant, insulative but yet still breaths very very well. It's crazy, there is nothing like it. I wear it with a single layer beneath in anything from relatively warm temps (near freezing) to single digits and blowing snow. I just adjust the baselayer: athletic t-shirt, long sleeved crew, smartwool merino baselayer, etc. I use the Arcteryx Alpha FL on top as a shell once at top, which is about the lightest weight / most minimalist shell, that is still waterprooof, I can find. The only other thing piece I would consider is probably the R1 tech face.

+1 on the R1 tech face, super breathable (more than nano-air) but still cuts the wind.