Thread: Neighbors...

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Welcome to the country.
    Move out to the country,
    Gonna eat a lot of peaches...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That photo is mind-boggling retarded.
    I'm not even sure what I'm looking at here. Is this a Mormon matriarch with her five husbands, including two child husbands?

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I'm not even sure what I'm looking at here. Is this a Mormon matriarch with her five husbands, including two child husbands?
    It's a bang bang gang bang.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Hopefully they are all shooting blanks.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    It's a bang bang gang bang.
    Slow clap

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    "Hi Erin, would you mind if I took your picture for a forum I'm on?"
    Tell Erin it's for a dentist's dating site.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    My neighbors' flood light was always shining in my bedroom window at night. So I burned his house down.
    Problem solved!
    Nice. No grey area.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    You people ever hear of these cool devices called "shades' or "blinds"? They double by keeping him from looking at your wife when she walks around the house nude at night.
    Or people could just not be douche nozzles and light up the neighborhood to enhance their artificial sense of security.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    The proprietor for the shooting range wedding venue has not been an Idahoan long. Merely pointing out that us natives and long termers might be a bunch of redneck gun lovers but we're not looking to move to a quiet, awesome place, create something and market it to other east coasters thus changing and potentially ruining a quiet awesome place that we live here for. We like to keep our weirdness a little more private. Our fault is we don't get out much and lack foresight. So we pride ourselves on less regulation that would protect our quiet awesome places from becoming places that we should have visited and realized we didn't like.
    Well put.

We have new neighbors!
    In Aug. the old dude who mowed his dirt is gone, replaced by a couple, (a forest service guy and his engineer other). As soon as I could, I went over, introduced myself, brought over the dogs, so his and mine could meet, talked about how the sale/closing went, etc. Mrs. Plug thinks it's an upgrade. Time will tell. He may be a little worried about fire and defensible space, but hey he's in the FS. No Blue Lives Matter, Nazi, or Confederate flags, (which, of course, are all the same), yet, so I think we can deal.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    If you, KQ, get along with the electric-easement-denying neighbors, could you approach them with a request to play ball with this generator guy...not for his sake but for yours?

Maybe they like you more than they hate him. You are very likeable after all.

Just a thought.
    I get along with them well enough but they are both rodeo cowboys. Once they set their mind against something not much short of money is going to change it.
    Last edited by KQ; 11-21-2020 at 09:41 PM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    Hey man, I've been meaning to ask you: how's that event venue/rifle range coming along?
    Well, to be honest, I have no plan to host weddings. I'm just spreading that rumor to trigger the nosey new Prius driving neighbor who just moved to the country and is trying to drag along his city slicker expectations and attempt to turn Idaho into a suburb of San Fran. He was dumb enough to show his cards and let me know that he's bothered by the sound of gunfire. I now make a point of touching off a few rounds at the top of each hour just to make sure he realizes that I don't care. I'll have run him off by spring.

P.S: A moderator with an alias? Cute.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I get along with them well enough but they are both rodeo cowboys. Once they set their mind against something not much short of money is going to change it.
    Seems to me the old cowboys will be your best offense. Get them on your side. In my experience a cowboy's pride is his weak point.
    As soon as you can convince them what fools they are to let generator guy run untethered, They'll get their backs up.
    And the angle that he's pushing the Lady around, usually elicits a reaction. Cowboys tend to be nurturers and protectors. Give them an opening and they may wade right in to the problem.

So. Was walking the dog last night and he picks his lawn to poop. Of course it’s right as the new neighbor opens his garage door. I am picking up the poop as he crosses the street to discuss something with his other neighbor.

Funny enough wife made cookies and dropped them off on their porch like a week before.

I didn’t think it was good timing to say we were the ones who had dropped off the cookies

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

My closest neighbors are about 1/3 of a mile away from me. One of them is down the road on the opposite side, and the other's property is separated from mine by a river. As far as I can tell, nobody ever turns on any outside lighting except full-cutoff fixtures adjacent to doors, and they don't have obnoxious animals. I've heard fewer than 10 gunshots since I moved in too, but those aren't neighbors, they're people sighting in their hunting rifles nearby.

Pretty content thus far.

Letter to Douchebag Neighbors:

11/15/20
    When I was about 12, my mom bought a camp on the Iron River between Lake Independence and Lake Superior. It was a new build, built by a family friend. Being along a river, and next to the only bridge across that river, the property had a longstanding history of foot traffic along an existing trail. Fishermen, hunters, hikers from near and far, several neighbors.
    As a kid, I held a simplistic and immature view of this situation: that upon arrival, the area was now ours and we should expect everyone to stay away…and in fact, by and large, that did take place on its own, just by way of our presence. I remember though, an old-man neighbor upriver continued his daily walks downriver unchanged. I was incredulous, how dare this trespasser! My mom explained to me that this was a neighbor who was harmless to us, and not just harmless but indeed potentially helpful if we ever needed a variety of neighborly favors, and that he had a routine that was very valuable to him (and his dog). He was there first, you never know when the kindness you pay to strangers will pay back, it’s a small price to pay for a harmonious relationship, passing along the waterfront is a traditional human right, etc etc.

I got used to seeing Gene and his dog on their walks. It shifted from disconcerting to routine to comforting. If I didn’t see Gene I’d wonder if anything was wrong. At times I appreciated having the social capital to fish the upper portion of the river in front of Gene’s residence. We always knew if a tree fell on the house or it caught fire when it was 20 below, or we got seriously snowed in, or the car needed a jump, or there was a job that needed heavy equipment, we had somebody who could and would help. That easy little bit of simple tolerance bought us the invaluable peace and goodwill of getting along with this nice old man. When I spent a year living up there full time 10 years ago, Gene was getting very old, and I would walk that same trail over to check on him every few days. He appreciated me carrying some firewood for him, and little things like making his walkway a little less treacherous, I appreciated some old Big Bay stories. It was nice just to be neighborly.
    Now, it seems, I have become like Gene. For years, my wife and I have been walking our little dog on the little trails on the property you now own. It’s been a life saver to have a place near home to take our dog that isn’t exposed to the highway or the truck route to the dock. And, as I mentioned to you in person, several times over the years I’ve seen vagrants trying to set up camp, and the simple act of being there on a regular basis works to keep that down. When that place was for sale, I had hoped the new people would let life carry on here without coming in hot trying to change everything. Perhaps you might still reconsider. Life really is a lot better with friendly people around, and we cannot be friendly with you if you can’t just let us be. I’m acutely aware that you seem to have no issue with your Marquette Drive neighbors coming and going extensively through the same area. You also seem to have no issue with hikers and dog walkers and bums who come uphill from behind Drifa and Joe’s. No signs down there. No signs at the top of the hill. Just signs directly pointed at my wife and I.
    I’m at a loss, really, as to this thought process. Seems like suddenly one day you went from smiling and friendly greetings to posting signs, with no precipitating event. If I’m misunderstanding, please by all means let me know. If I’m not misunderstanding, consider for a moment: you arrived in our neighborhood, where everyone gets along, and right away you’re starting passive aggressive moves to make life worse for us when you could easily just relax, take it easy, make some new friends and enjoy getting along with everyone. In return for some ski tracks and paw prints in the snow, you could have had a couple of priceless things: peace of mind, good karma, and friendly helpful neighbors. Now you get bad karma, and neighbors who wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire. Any way you turn it, that seems like a bad trade to me.

8/20/20 Update: since writing this, you’ve called the police and made a nonsense accusation about me “stealing your signs” and trespassing….when, as you know, me asking you why it matters to you if we walk through the little trail at the edge of your land, and making it clear that if you’re an asshole to us, we’ll be assholes to you, that happened with me standing in the middle of my own public street, not trespassing. As for your signs (the ones you attached with, I dunno, like, kite string and masking tape, like an 8 year old) the only time I’ve touched them is when they’ve blown away and become litter, and in that case I picked them up and dropped them at your garage door so you could have them back, because they're yours. There’s still one in the brush on the hillside east of your gate, because I’m not bushwacking into the brush down the hill to pick up your trash. Seems like maybe you’ve finally figured out how to attach a sign that won’t blow away on a windy day, congrats! At this point, I’ve fully resigned myself to the fact that your household is now part of the yuppie condo invasion slowly wrecking what used to be a wonderful place to live, formerly with almost exclusively friendly people, and that at least the male of your household is entirely in the wrong kind of property in the wrong part of the wrong town for him. He seems like a Grosse Pointe guy, maybe Lake Forest. This ain't Grosse Pointe, and it ain't Lake Forest.
    So, anyway, even though we’ve written you off as neighbors, you should still probably be aware that Drifa has had evidence of somebody trying to break into their offices, and while working in my garage very late at night I’ve heard people moving though your land, and prowling around my property. We’ve also recently had a murder just across the highway, by a vagrant who was living all around our neighborhood. I suspect some, or all of those movements on your land, and perhaps the attempts at burglarizing Drifa, came from this guy who has now stabbed our neighbor to death. As I said to you before, this is one reason why our neighbor Scott and I used to walk that area on a regular basis, because without doing so, it defaults into a place junkies can and will set up camp. Seems like it’s only affected us so far, but really, once you have junkies living in the woods next to your house, all bets are off, not just for us but for you too.
    As for us, you said you were worried about liability….which, to me, means a couple of things: 1) you were specifically worried about us but not the numerous others coming and going, and thus 2) for whatever reason you see us as the kind of ambulance-chaser scam-lawsuit scumbags you have to proactively guard against. For clarity: we’re good on money, thanks. Can’t think of any way I’d want to spend my time less than dealing with lawyers and courts….That may be the typical neighbor wherever you came here from, but it’s still abnormal here, thank goodness; and normal or not, it’s not how we operate and it never will be. If we were scuzzers trying to sue our neighbors, we could have done that to the previous owner, which of course we didn’t, because we’re not the awful gross civil-lawsuit creeps you apparently assume we are.
    Anyway, might want to pay a little more attention to the back 40 there Tex, the bums that now come and go through there, since you had the police issue me a trespass order and nobody’s keeping an eye on it, have had a real big time lately looking for places to burglarize, and now stabbing a homeowner to death.

I hope you didn't send either of those letters. If it's cathartic to just write them and share them here, I get that. If you send them, then they certainly have won.

Good luck with all that IAS

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Nobody wins, we used to have a trail system everyone enjoyed, now we have a rich cunt and an overgrown thicket with murderous junkies.

Sorry to read that community dynamic IAS.

The area I am in is in decline, despite people moving into the town. Social services are limited and some like healthcare are at risk to further reduction due to staffing shortfalls. Traditional large industry has mostly moved out and not been replaced. Local money is concentrated within a few long-standing families whose grand and great grandparents got here in time for the late 1800's cheap land grabs. By and large they have not re-invested into the community in at least a generation and only maintaining their wealth as best they can. Most graduates move away to the sparkle of the big city. Overall, people are friendly, but not welcoming, to most newcomers; buy-in to the upper echelons is at a steep premium.

My immediate neighbour and the next house over have a little feud going. No fence between their property in the front half of their joint property line. One has done well for himself and is relatively new to the community, the other is also doing well but is related to the local royalty. I'm friendly with both of them, although I've had strained words with the farthest neighbour when his hounds got out of their house/yard and came over to torment my very territorial hound through the yard fence. My girl almost went through a couple panels trying to get at them. I fixed the fence, and their hounds have been kept home for the past year or so with no issues. In the last year, relations between the 2 neighbours has deteriorated significantly, as far as I under stand it mostly over the use of that shared piece of property line. We are talking about 3m wide and 10m long, where both like to park their respective vehicles/trailers. At one point, far neighbour actually hooked up to near neighbours trailer and moved it to reclaim some territory. Social media posts have gone up. Near neighbour has set up pallets as a temp fence line where he thinks the property line is. Yes, a pallet fence, complete with a couple 'No Trespassing' signs stapled on for good measure. Security cameras have been installed, pointed directly at the drive of far neighbour. More nasty social media posts.

At times I feel I should go over and try to broker a peace deal. But I have made such efforts in the past in other communities and become a target for miss-placed anger, but I admit my diplomacy skills when dealing with what I consider childish behaviour definitely are not the best. Mostly I just want to get out of the fishbowl subdivision and find a place with a few more acres, for privacy, gardening and toy storage.

Kind of interesting learning more about our first nations culture when it came to territory. It is hard to understand their tradition that they did not hold to property in a european sense, but protected rights to resources to ensure survival of their family/tribe. Sharing of resources, and establishing settlements was negotiable, but outright ownership in the western sense was something they couldn't grasp when they were first engaged with those conversations. The wars and plagues that followed european settlement made the conversation moot until very recently. Our western ideal of property ownership created first through agriculture, then via the privilege of Title (and thus political power) definitely have a subtle difference that is hard for me to grasp when in discussions with those first peoples. Not sure where the middle ground will land in the future we are creating for our children.

Oh God Damn...

...As if enough shit wasn't swirling...

While gingerly walking off the wasted quads and glutes of my 46-hour solo sheep hunting/dehydration/failure triathlon of Tues-Thurs, came upon one of my neighborhood kids [old enough to drive] with a pellet gun and a whole pile of dead Steller's jays.

[You don't want to see the pics]

"They bury peanuts in our yard."

"Everybody in the neighborhood has been feeding them peanuts for years. And here you are, murdering them. You should be ashamed of yourself."

"Well you can direct your comments to my father." [Good response, that]

"That's exactly what I'm going to do young man."
    [Kid stops killing the chattering bluejays, goes inside like a fox fleeing a henhouse and calls his dad before I can get his number from another neighbor...]

10 minutes later, Dad, a guard at the max across the Bay, pulls up, jacked. Like he was working out when the call came. He addresses me from his truck.

"I understand you had some words with my son."

"I did indeed." I look at the pile of dead jaybirds. "That's not OK with me. I and just about everyone else in this neighborhood feeds these birds because they're awesome and they're nice to kids."

"That's all good but if my son wants to kill a thousand of them on my property it's just fine with me. Do you know what I do for a living?"

"[Not wanting to take that bait] It doesn't matter what either of us do for a living. Were you aware that my youngest son built the foundation of your beautiful home? Nine foot basement walls, right? August or September of 2002, right?" [This is me telling him I'm aware his FIL financed his nice house as his daughter's wedding present...]

"That doesn't mean shit to me."

"He wasn't much older than your son then. He went off to school shortly after he worked for Roger Swenson...Man, that's the scariest time - when they can drive and need to impress girls... The fact that we can both take your son's version of events as fact here is pretty darn good. You know these jays live 10-15 years in the wild, and mate for life, right?..."

[interrupts] "I already told you I don't give a damn about blue jays, and me or my son will kill them as we please." [He actually flexed his forearm.]

"Well, are you going to clean them up out of the public right of way, or leave them piled up there like little Columbine victims?"

"I'll do what I damn well please and I'd advise you not to speak to my son."

"I trust I'll have no reason to. Have a nice day."

Edit: Goddammnit. Now I'm some sort of freelance morality-imposer. WTF that metamorphosis occur? Man, shit just caught me off guard...

In the abstract, the guy had more right to be a dickhead than I did to moralize at his son. I certainly can't hate him for reasoning like a Rottweiler when that's what the State pays him to do.
    Last edited by highangle; 08-21-2021 at 12:36 AM.

Maybe he's a road biker?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

lotta ways to flex....

Should have recorded the conversation. Seems like a friendly game warden may want to schedule a public encounter with the a-hole. And as a correctional officer, I'm not sure how hunting a bird during a statewide closure of said bird or taking of a protected bird under the MBTA would look on a background check. Probably a misdemeanor so may not be a big deal.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/r.../waterfowl.pdf

Page 11

• Steller’s and spectacled eiders, and trumpeter swans are closed statewide.
    Seems like they might be talking about Steller's eiders here but there's also this:

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...withbirds.main

Steller's Jays fall under the MBTA.

Either way, looks like it's a protected bird.

Was his dad around when he was hunting?

Page 4

•  If you are under 18, you must either complete Basic Hunter Education or hunt under the direct supervision of a hunter who has completed Basic Hunter Education or was born on or before January 1, 1986.
    Page 10

If you find a group of sick or dead birds, contact wildlife authorities. Please leave birds where they are and call as soon as you can.
    STATEWIDE (866) 5BRDFLU (866) 527-3358
    Anchorage
    ADF&G (907)267-2257
    USFWS (907) 786-3309
    Fairbanks
    ADF&G (907) 459-7206
    Juneau
    ADF&G (907) 465-4148
    Maybe the kid has his license?

Do they have a stamp or proof of HIP enrollment?

Did the kid shoot from a road?

Copper or lead pellets?

Are his BBs/pellets larger than .2?

Did he only shoot them in his yard? Yards of others? Did he have permission to hunt on private land?

Either way, it's probably technically poaching and you have photographic evidence. How far do you want to take it?

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    lotta ways to flex....
    This dude makes his living jocking up in body armor and subduing unruly inmates in a maximum security prison - Really truly bad ppl who don't want to be stripped and cavity searched.