Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbors...

Maybe NH is different now since he’s gone.

“Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.”

― Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I understand not wanting to be buddy-buddy with your neighbors. I like my privacy and my unmolested downtime as much as most introverts.

that said, i dont really see the point of being a rude asshole to your neighbors. Id rather my neighbors think im quiet, nice, helpful when needed but mostly keeps to himself.
    Right, our neighbor is a nice guy but that's all I know about him. I moved a small piece of furniture for him and he mows part of our shared lawn. He was talking to my partner (she's more chatty than I am) and he said something to the effect of "you guys are so busy." I'm not going to disavow him of that notion but busy is not how I'd be described.

He travels for a few months a year and gives us a heads up. I can't say that I've interacted with him more than buttflake has with his new neighbor but at least he doesn't think I'm a raging fuckhead.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Buttahflakes ‘I don’t do social media’ line made me curious. You fill 3 Google pages on my phone. A place called Peekyou has your name in the results.

You aren’t doing too well.
    Given how many people lurk here you can't be the only one who became curious, but at least they can't find him on Facebook.

I'm glad I clicked on this thread while drinking coffee this morning.

My daughter's next door neighbor has a dog and 2 teens. Daughter has 3 dogs and 2 tweens. Daughter never got cookies when they moved in 2 yrs ago. They do not have coffee or chat over the fence with the neighbors. Yesterday, the neighbor tells my daughter they are having the wood fence between them replace on Monday and tells my daughter they'd like $3500 to pay for half. Fence is on neighbors property. My advice is for my daughter to smile and tell them "Not our fence, not going to pay. Thanks the the heads up about Monday." What sez the board?
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Suggest that your daughter say: "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were joking."
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

It's a dick move to start the discussions after going to a contractor.

Seems to me that it's well within her right to say no thanks. Likely at the expense of getting along with the neighbors.

Just tell them $3500 isn’t in the budget, sorry. When we moved in to our house we had a fence that was falling onto the neighbors garage so we removed it. Couple of months later she asked when we were going to replace it as “good fences make good neighbors”. We told her we didn’t have it in the budget and that she was free to put one up. Didn’t hurt our relationship over the years. Just be polite.

I agree she just needs to politely decline. The first thing I did when I moved into my house was put up a fence but I wouldn’t ask somebody else to pay for it. Not in a million years. That’s just crazy.

It was on the neighbor to discuss whether they wanted to replace the fence. Not, "we're replacing the fence, please give us half". My old house backed to a condo complex and the fence was falling down. It made both properties more attractive to have the fence there. We approached the HOA and asked if they were willing to split and they agreed. I'm sure if we had just sent them a bill or told them that we were replacing the fence and the needed to pay half they would have told us to fuck off.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My daughter said to me once as a teen "I am not you and you are not me." I would consider waiting till I heard the neighbor in their back yard yell over "About the fence, go pound sand." She is not me. She is a strong but more tactful person. I like Busters move. Wait for them to ask for the money after the fence is up and say "I thought you were joking."

As to my new neighbor, the day we were gong to go over two cop cars were in the driveway and the LEO's were searching behind the house for something or some one. Wife went over the next day and gave the cookies to the wife. I chatted with the guy and learned he was in a motorcycle club. The Five Skulls or something like that. Rides a full dress black and chrome Harley.

I don't get how the fence is on the neighbor's property. If it's +/- inches from the actual property line, and has historically been considered a boundary fence, it's joint property. That's especially true if your daughter has a front or back fence attached to it.

Don't believe me? Knock it down and see what happens.

That said, dick move on their part.

Good input. Who decides what way the good side faces?

Here’s a fence design from a home about 4min from mine…
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B8F449C3-0CBE-43F7-8C74-F50548B24C2D.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	821.6 KB 
ID:	427561

I have to hand it to them, asking a neighbor with 2 days notice for $3500 takes some balls.

Sounds to me like they were just taking a shot in the dark. Probably don't really expect any money but had nothing to lose by throwing it out there.

Neighbors...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I don't get how the fence is on the neighbor's property. If it's +/- inches from the actual property line, and has historically been considered a boundary fence, it's joint property. That's especially true if your daughter has a front or back fence attached to it.

Don't believe me? Knock it down and see what happens.

That said, dick move on their part.
    Last fence I had put in, the contractor said he’d put it 3-4” inside my property line unless the neighbor and I were hiring him together. Took all questions out of it, and accounted for concrete footers.

And yea, it never even occurred to me that my neighbor would help pay for my fence. That’s idiotic.

Still though, we may need pics of your daughter sunbathing behind said fence.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Guy I know moved to a new house. Neighbor comes over within a day or two and says, hi, welcome to the neighborhood. We need to talk about your fence.

Friend says, what about it?

Guy says, it's ugly, it's falling down and it's dangerous. And it's two feet over on my property.

Friend says, that's your fence, man.

End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Guy I know moved to a new house. Neighbor comes over within a day or two and says, hi, welcome to the neighborhood. We need to talk about your fence.

Friend says, what about it?

Guy says, it's ugly, it's falling down and it's dangerous. And it's two feet over on my property.

Friend says, that's your fence, man.

End of discussion.
    Adverse possession

My neighbor to the rear has a fence he built ONE WHOLE ft onto his property from the line behind my tuff shed. When I first moved in I was moving some dirt around and threw it into a pile behind my shed temporarily. Not knowing the property line I came out one day and found him shoveling the dirt from my pile that was over the property line back on my side of the property line. I came over and asked if I could help him and he responded "The fence isn't the property line, this its the property line and your dirt is on my side of the line".

Now keep in mind there is a fence there....and that 1 ft of property leads no where except my yard. Basically he was shoveling dirt from his dirt to my dirt. I was nice enough to tell him to knock it off and I'd move the dirt since it was my pile. Strange fellow. Never spoke to him again but he did have a herd of alpacas back there behind his fence for a while.

All discussions of neighbors sooner or later devolve down to fences.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    I have to hand it to them, asking a neighbor with 2 days notice for $3500 takes some balls.
    Well new facts have come to light, man. Daughter had it wrong and the Install date is in 2 weeks. I suggested her first question should be "Why do you feel we should pay for the fence?" And then without reacting ask for more details about said fence. Then she'll know what to say or ask next. $6-7k for 75' of cedar fence sounds steep but I'm ignorant about fence pricing.

Got a good fence one. Many years ago, there was an asshole in Victor who raised goats. On Main Street. He had them fenced in, but the fence was like two feet inside his property line. Well, one day a curious dog was next to the fence, sniffing around, not being aggressive, from what I heard. Well, the Grumpy guy shot the dog.
    Asshole.
    (I don’t remember if the dog lived, or if it was a BB gun)
    Either way, the consensus seemed to be that the Grumpy Goat guy was basically baiting the neighborhood dogs, just waiting for this. Kind of ‘attractive nuisance’ type thing.
    He did make a decent Gyro, though.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Love it. Perfect self own.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Who decides what way the good side faces?
    IME, it's whatever has the most continuity, or whichever side has better access while building, or whoever pays.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Got a good fence one. Many years ago, there was an asshole in Victor who raised goats. On Main Street. He had them fenced in, but the fence was like two feet inside his property line. Well, one day a curious dog was next to the fence, sniffing around, not being aggressive, from what I heard. Well, the Grumpy guy shot the dog.
    Asshole.
    (I don’t remember if the dog lived, or if it was a BB gun)
    Either way, the consensus seemed to be that the Grumpy Goat guy was basically baiting the neighborhood dogs, just waiting for this. Kind of ‘attractive nuisance’ type thing.
    He did make a decent Gyro, though.
    this kinda makes it sound like you killed and ate the guy

THNX

Looks like the day of the build I'll be pet sitting at their place. Could be fun.