Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbors...

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Who's gonna tell 'em TGR is social media?
    Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Can we get a ruling on what constitutes northern New England? Walpole is like 10 miles from Massachusetts so I’m going with with solidly not northern.
    It's in the dead zone north of Keene where there's basically nothing and north of the side of mass with no people so I think it counts.
    Northern is more about density and proximity to other civilization. Walpole has neither.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    It's in the dead zone north of Keene where there's basically nothing and north of the side of mass with no people so I think it counts.
    Northern is more about density and proximity to other civilization. Walpole has neither.
    Ask the Upstaters to weigh in.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Like New Yorkers get to weigh in on New England. You leave your tourist dollars, we don't build a wall, that's the deal.

Northern New England is above Rutland/ Big lake in NH/ Gulf of Maine. It’s Massachusetts south of that until you hit CT.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    New to this current poo flinging conversation, but reading the last 2 pages, Butta hasn't said anything I would get worked up about, so maybe lighten up guys. Flame suit on
    Well, he did specifically ask the collective what we thought about it. He didn’t seem to care much for the answers, probably should have left that question out.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Who's gonna tell 'em TGR is social media?
    Nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Non-drinker, here. If you don’t live here it’s really is hard to convey how much northern New Englanders value their privacy. The fact that I never started a Facebook should indicate that I’m not interested in what the fuck anyone else is doing, why is this so difficult? I don’t want to be part of some neighborhood watch thing or any kind of intrusive nosy bullshit neighborhood Facebook group. Check your fucking egos before you drag me for wanting to live free.
    Strong evidence for the saying never trust a man who doesnt drink

news flash, TGR IS social media and we all think yer a fucking idiot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    NH is home to some of the crustiest hermits.
    Truth

Gotta agree with Buttah and L2S on this one. Neighbors aren't worth the energy to connect with or hate, I prefer to pretend they just don't exist.

I'm also lucky in the sense that both of my houses are surrounded by homes that are only used 1-2 weekends a month, and I'm on a few acres. That being said, 1-2 weekends a month of their shit at a reasonable distance is still enough to drive me nuts. There's one restaurant and one store in town, there's no fucking reason to drive up and down the road 22 times a day in your sxs. White trash fuckheads.

And Freddy, stopping to ask people what they're up to is aggro as fuck. My default answer to dealing with those assholes is "oh, just a fun little thing called none of your goddamn business."

NH is like an Upstate version of VT so this has merit.

Once sold a tractor to this old dude across the river. He wanted to pay cash. I said just get me a bank check and he tells me he doesn’t have a bank account because he doesn’t trust the govt with his money. Ok. Dude shows up with an envelope with 250 $100 bills. Took me 30 mins to count that shit and 5 trips to the bank so I didn’t trigger AML.

Since New England is split pretty obviously in half by the northern border of MA, it's not a stretch to call NH part of Northern New England. However, culturally, anything below US Rt 4 is dominated by Massachusetts. I'd call it middle New England if you want a stupid term. I'm suspicious of anyone from below Rt 4 anyway and begrudgingly acknowledge that portion of VT.

It's sorta funny that Buttah is on here looking for validation. There's 1001 other ways he could have politely declined. He comes off as a douche that knows he's a douche and thought he'd get some folks to tell him he's not a douche. Buttah, you're a douche. Chill out man, you should have offered to blaze one with them. Actually, on second thought, why didn't you just shoot them for trespassing?

And "Take Back VT"?!?!?! For fucks sake, that was specifically in reaction to civil unions. Anyone invoking that is most likely a bigoted, homophobic asshole. Or clueless about what it meant. Personally, I thought civil unions was a gutless solution and we should have gone for full on marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Given the context of Buttah's complaint, maybe TGR is better classed as antisocial media?
    This.

Grandma Brownski would have knocked my fillings out if I talked that way to a neighbor. If a neighbor talked that way to her, she would have shared her opinion of the interaction quickly, loudly and continuously. Grandpa Brownski would have shrugged it off but filed the offender in the people- to- be- ignored part of his brain.

Except you would be very wrong, I’m very generous. My ego is in check, I’m fit, and happy. If you aren’t from here it might be difficult to convey just how weird it is for someone to randomly knock on a door and ask to exchange info. This woman was kinda aggro, like she couldn’t understand what I was saying to her and whatnot. NH is what is, we don’t interact with our neighbors, never have, never will. We wave and smile, it’s freaking perfect actually.
    They're new to the neighborhood, and although you've already "got a guy" to deliver wood and cover your ass should you need it, they likely have nothing. Wouldn't it have been a solid to hook them up with your digits since you're such a seasoned NE badass? Meh, on second thought I think they lucked-out in this exchange. Why even share this story, you knew how it would go.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Grandma Brownski would have knocked my fillings out if I talked that way to a neighbor. If a neighbor talked that way to her, she would have shared her opinion of the interaction quickly, loudly and continuously. Grandpa Brownski would have shrugged it off but filed the offender in the people- to- be- ignored part of his brain.
    Right?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Why even share this story, you knew how it would go.
    This is the lesson taught by TGR. Your ass is going to get handed to you over shit you thought was no biggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

This question gets posted on AITA and the response is the same.

Backyard grass is boring, I put in a bike pumptrack in the spring and really pissed off my introverted neighbor. I told her husband, who I've always been friendly with, but not sure he relayed the message when I told him months ahead of time. He said sure we can always plant some trees. About a week after finished build she completely blew up on one of my friends, screaming profanities at her when she rode maybe 5-10' into their yard, next to their giant rusty steel burn-pit.

In order not to really be an asshole (a la Buttah), I'm planting a row of 7-8' Arborvitae's now that it's fall. They were also concerned about it becoming a 'park', but I'm not letting them gate-keep who and when I can have a few friends over.
    Last edited by VTskibum; 09-08-2022 at 09:21 AM.

Heh. My only neighbor I dislike was pissed that I moved in and put the kids swingset where he could see it. Swingset is gone. Neighbor is still a dick.
    Now he has to deal with the mountain bike track and jumps my kids built. Fuck him.

Otoh had two new neighbors recently. Got their digits in case they need something. It’s neighborly. As long as they are chill.

New neighbor knocked on the door last evening as it was getting dark in the rain. This is New Hampshire, no one knocks on anyone’s door. I don’t know my other next door neighbors last name, they’re just Bill and Wendy. Never been in anyones house in the hood, northern New England is cool because no one gets in anyones else’s bidness. Her and her partner just moved from Seattle. So I hear the door and head out to look out the kitchen window and see nothing, reach into my shorts to scratch my ballz as I’m looking out the dining room window, I lock eyes with the new neighbor. Open the door and walk out into the entryway, neither one of us extended hands. Cool she wants to introduce herself. Excellent, welcome to the neighborhood. She then ask’s to exchange contact info. My wife and I, value our privacy, no Facebook, twitter, no bullshit, it’s so freaking nice. She wants to get to know us and have us over for tea, I told her straight-up, we have lived here for 20 years and have never been in anyones yard let alone house, and that we were never coming over for tea and that I hade no reason to exchange contact info with her. What say you?
    They probably wanted to see if they moved in next door to Ken Burns, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I understand not wanting to be buddy-buddy with your neighbors. I like my privacy and my unmolested downtime as much as most introverts.

that said, i dont really see the point of being a rude asshole to your neighbors. Id rather my neighbors think im quiet, nice, helpful when needed but mostly keeps to himself.

I support the Northern New England dividing line being Rt 4. I mean, Walpole might as well be Northhampton MA, notably given the alleged proclivities of Buttah's new neighbors.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I support the Northern New England dividing line being Rt 4. I mean, Walpole might as well be Northhampton MA, notably given the alleged proclivities of Buttah's new neighbors.
    Agreed.
    If you can walk to Massachusetts from your town's center in an hour or so you're not in northern NE

I can see Dunkins from my house!
    I still call it The Jake.