Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbors...

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    All discussions of neighbors sooner or later devolve down to fences.
    Name:  Image1664155613.195174.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  46.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    He did make a decent Gyro, though.
    Decent hot dog too?

Doesn't the buttahflake incident thro a whole different light on the neighbor... thread ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    IME, it's whatever has the most continuity, or whichever side has better access while building, or whoever pays.
    Town of jackson says the good looking side has to face out.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Decent hot dog too?
    His wife ‘handled’ all of the hot dogs.

I was thinking of between the neighbors, but yeah, that's good policy. Lots of people build 'good side in' fences here, and it's ghetto af.

That's a good way to go about fence code that I never thought about. We built our fence good side in and now I need to go through our neighborhood and see what everyone else did. I'm a little worried I'm going to feel like an asshole. Fortunately our front fence is just hog panels so it's not much of an appearance difference.

Side fences are build good side in since we bought materials and did the install ourselves.

My neighborhood fences have both sides good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Got a good fence one. Many years ago, there was an asshole in Victor who raised goats. On Main Street. He had them fenced in, but the fence was like two feet inside his property line. Well, one day a curious dog was next to the fence, sniffing around, not being aggressive, from what I heard. Well, the Grumpy guy shot the dog.
    Asshole.
    (I don’t remember if the dog lived, or if it was a BB gun)
    Either way, the consensus seemed to be that the Grumpy Goat guy was basically baiting the neighborhood dogs, just waiting for this. Kind of ‘attractive nuisance’ type thing.
    He did make a decent Gyro, though.
    If some fucker killed my dog for that some sort of severe revenge would absolutely be on the table. Not that my dog is usually wandering around town. Man that shit makes my blood boil.

I seriously thought about poisoning his goats, but those critters didn’t do anything wrong.

The way I've always done fences is the good side faces out. Whoever can see the posts owns the fence end of discussion.

Bought a rental, and the day after closing the neighbor was over complain about my crappy fence, only about 50 to 70 feet long, but admittedly was falling over, and I planned to replace it that summer. The fence served no purpose to me, but she kept her dog in with it, and it kept her from looking into my driveway.

So being a good neighbor I immediately took it down. It was, as she pointed out a safety hazard. A few days later she comes over and asks "when are you putting the fence back up, my dog keeps getting out" I said "Oh I'm so sorry lumber prices are double what they were a few weeks ago, I'm just going to wait until the prices come down".
    She didn't have anything to say to that, but a few hours later comes over and says "If you put the fence up we'll pay for the lumber". I went up, bought the materials showed her the receipt, cashed her check, and got the fence up the next day. She keeps telling me how many compliments she gets on "her new fence".
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post

Side fences are build good side in since we bought materials and did the install ourselves.
    That wouldn’t fly here. The ‘good’ side has to face out if it is on your property.

That wouldn’t fly here. The ‘good’ side has to face out if it is on your property.
    That's a totally reasonable way to go about code for a town as well as neighborly expectations. My selfish ass just never thought that way and I feel a bit sheepish because of that.

In my defense 1 of my neighbors is fighting a losing battle with meth and another is a single wide that is a revolving door of shitbag renters so inter-neighbor relations have been fairly low.

Ignoring that the front fence is now on the radar to be moved to the other side of the posts.

Not only do I think it's aesthetically better to have the "good" side out -- I like seeing the posts and crossbars -- but why would you want to give an "invader" (mischievous neighbor kid or thief or ???) a ladder into your yard?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Re the issue of who pays for the fence--in CA the law is that adjoining neighbors share in the cost of building and maintaining a fence. Other states likely have similar laws. That said--who decides a fence needs to be replaced, who decides the design, who decides who gets which side? How long does the fence have to be--just the backyard, backyard and side of the house, whole length of the lot? There's still plenty to argue about. Or agree on, as the case may be. We've replaced the fence on one side of our house twice because it needed replacing and we had a lot more resources than the original owner. On the other side a new owner replaced a cinder block wall with a wooden fence at his expense. Along our back property line we both agreed it needed fixing but we paid 2/3 because we got the side we wanted. So the law doesn't really help a lot. Fence issues involve the kinds of compromises difficult for people who love each other to make, let alone people who just happen to be neighbors.

Fence rules are like upstate definition

But yeah, in New England they refuse to pay if the stockade faces them. If you have crossbars it’s your fence. Even if it’s right on the property line.

I find all of this right side/wrong side talk amusing. Would likely settle for a chain link fence if pushed too hard. Y'all approach neighbors that don't mow their lawn to your standards?

To the current dilemma OP, I would advise daughter to not fork out any money for a fence she had no input in sourcing.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    My daughter's next door neighbor has a dog and 2 teens. Daughter has 3 dogs and 2 tweens. Daughter never got cookies when they moved in 2 yrs ago. They do not have coffee or chat over the fence with the neighbors. Yesterday, the neighbor tells my daughter they are having the wood fence between them replace on Monday and tells my daughter they'd like $3500 to pay for half. Fence is on neighbors property. My advice is for my daughter to smile and tell them "Not our fence, not going to pay. Thanks the the heads up about Monday." What sez the board?
    Agree with above posts. Have daughter say two things to neighbor:
    - "It's a balsy move on your part to decide to replace fence and then ask me to pay half."
    - "No, I'm not paying half. Had you discussed ahead of time I'd have considered it."

Put it in writing and leave it at that. Part of this is setting expectations, if daughter gives in to paying half now then neighbor will take that as a sign.

Fences serve two purposes, aesthetics and delineating property lines/living spaces. Depends on the exact situation, aesthetics might be zero and delineation 100%.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

It's their fence on their land. No communication about said fence until they already contracted and scheduled someone to replace it. Cost is totally on them.

I don't get along with my neighbor at all. We have not spoken in a decade. With that said we do exchange emails when we absolutely have to. Just last month I emailed him to ask about splitting the cost to remove a 150 year old maple that died that sits right on the property line. I told him he could pick the tree service and I would pay half. He agreed and it got done. The tree service billed us both for our amount. Took about 5 minutes of my time.

If I could I'd replace our chain link fence with a 12' high, ugly mutha solid wall tomorrow. I'm sick of all of them and figure if I can't see them they don't exist.

We have an old 80 foot tall swamp maple that's failing and two of the tallest trunks are leaning towards the neighbor's house and it's getting worse as the trunk splits. We offered to take it down last spring but the bucket truck would have to come up their driveway because it can't go over our leach fields and the ancient drywell on the side of the house. Their insurance agent told them not to allow the truck or workers on their property under any circumstances so we gave up and dropped it. Apparently they recently had something happen and an agent came out to the house and saw the tree and told them they may have to reevaluate their policy if the tree isn't removed but the truck still can't access it from their side. I've had a half dozen tree guys come out and they all refuse to send a climber up so turned down the job if they can't send a truck up the neighbor's driveway. At this point, I'm done worrying about it until they escalate it and call the town forester.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    If I could I'd replace our chain link fence with a 12' high, ugly mutha solid wall tomorrow. I'm sick of all of them and figure if I can't see them they don't exist.

We have an old 80 foot tall swamp maple that's failing and two of the tallest trunks are leaning towards the neighbor's house and it's getting worse as the trunk splits. We offered to take it down last spring but the bucket truck would have to come up their driveway because it can't go over our leach fields and the ancient drywell on the side of the house. Their insurance agent told them not to allow the truck or workers on their property under any circumstances so we gave up and dropped it. Apparently they recently had something happen and an agent came out to the house and saw the tree and told them they may have to reevaluate their policy if the tree isn't removed but the truck still can't access it from their side. I've had a half dozen tree guys come out and they all refuse to send a climber up so turned down the job if they can't send a truck up the neighbor's driveway. At this point, I'm done worrying about it until they escalate it and call the town forester.
    Jeez.

Why can't the truck go up their driveway?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

They don't want it and their ins agent said not to allow it. Something about we'd need to put up a bond equal to what it would cost to replace the driveway after the truck ruins the old pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    It's a dick move to start the discussions after going to a contractor.
    Seriously! Who even does that?! If you want to go halfsies with a neighbor on a fence, seems it might be best to (A) see if they're even interested in doing that, and (B) actually work together on making it happen. Thankfully I only have a shared fence on one side, but IF I had a bee in my bonnet about replacing, I'd probably just pony up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    They don't want it and their ins agent said not to allow it. Something about we'd need to put up a bond equal to what it would cost to replace the driveway after the truck ruins the old pavement.
    Time to CYA, before your tree falls on your neighbor's house: letter to neighbor, certified mail, return receipt, laying out that you discussed the risks from tree with the neighbor, that the arborist crew would need to drive the truck onto the neighbors driveway to address the issues with the tree in order to help protect the neighbor's house, that the neighbor refused to allow arborist crew to drive onto their property, that the neighbor is comfortable with the risks presented by that tree.

It's not going to make them happy to receive that letter. But it's better than what will happen after the tree falls on their house and they, or their insurance company, sues you for the damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.