Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbors...

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Pound the posts right on through the pavement.
    Put the propane tank right on that part of “his” driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Put the propane tank right on that part of “his” driveway.
    That's a quality post right there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Fork.

I've got a neighbor who lives on the other side of my wheat field 50 acres from my house. His lot is landlocked, accessible only by easement from another neighbor. When he purchased the lot the access easement was there and that was it -10 undeveloped acres. There were no powerlines and to bring it in required another easement but unfortunately for him he's an asshole and he pissed off the only two neighbors who could help him out so no power.

Unfortunately for me he built anyway and now he runs a big diesel generator 24/7 that is loud and annoying. It's a constant drone I can't escape. I can even hear it inside with the windows closed unless i have the TV or music on and I've got good windows. Sound really carries out here.
    I am sorry to hear that KQ. Have you thought about using noise-canceling headphones?

Unfortunately I find myself in similar situation: I live in a very rural area, with no covenants. Up until now, all of us neighbors have been extremely considerate & aware of each other's solitude, including minimizing the noise from barking dogs, loud motors, & other disturbances. A couple of years ago, a guy bought the place down the road. He is retired ex-military. Occasionally we would hear shooting from his place. Nothing we can do about that, it's his property & people love their 2nd amendment rights here. Then we heard a rumor that he wants to turn his place into a Wedding Venue/Commercial Outdoor Shooting Range. Nothing has happened with his place yet (other than him occasionally shooting), but in the meantime, he has already published a website advertising his business. The website is still under construction, but according to the website, he would allow camping & events of up to 150 people on his property, & offer multi-day classes in "training in firearms, tactics, & dynamic scenarios." One of his shooting ranges is an 800-yard rifle range (nearly 1/2 mile), & is adjacent to public land.
    My area gets very little rain during the summer/fall. In addition to the disturbance of the peace caused by these proposed activities, we live in constant fear of wildfires, many of which are caused by target shooting. Plus, having regular multi-day events that allow alcohol & firearms, adjacent to public land where people regularly recreate, what could possibly go wrong?
    I called our local Planning & Zoning & sent them the link to his website. They said in order to have a commercial business on his property, he is required to have a Conditional Use Permit, & that a hearing with P&Z would be scheduled in the future, in which the public/neighbors would be invited to comment. I plan to attend, & bring up the issues of wildfire danger, public safety, & public nuisance/disturbance. However, as I said before, I live in a State/County where people greatly value their 2nd amendment/private property rights. So, even if we can get the rest of the nearby neighbors to comment against the proposal, I fear the County will approve.
    We have already had one negative encounter with this guy, this was before we found out that he planned to have a commercial business on his property. He got extremely defensive about his shooting, so I don't think he is going to be very agreeable if the neighbors ask him to please consider dropping or modifying his plans.
    If anyone has any suggestions or had similar experience with this type of thing, I would love to hear about it (besides noise-canceling headphones) Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by isisis; 11-17-2020 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by isisis View Post
    I am sorry to hear that KQ. Have you thought about using noise-canceling headphones?

<snip>
    If anyone has any suggestions or had similar experience with this type of thing, I would love to hear about it (besides noise-canceling headphones) Thanks for listening.
    Move.

Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Move.

Seriously.

Thanks. Nothing has happened yet & hopefully it won't come to that, but it's definitely being discussed.

In the meantime, here is a little (dark) humor for everyone:

Unfortunately I find myself in similar situation: I live in a very rural area, with no covenants. Up until now, all of us neighbors have been extremely considerate & aware of each other's solitude, including minimizing the noise from barking dogs, loud motors, & other disturbances. A couple of years ago, a guy bought the place down the road. He is retired ex-military. Occasionally we would hear shooting from his place. Nothing we can do about that, it's his property & people love their 2nd amendment rights here. Then we heard a rumor that he wants to turn his place into a Wedding Venue/Commercial Outdoor Shooting Range. Nothing has happened with his place yet (other than him occasionally shooting), but in the meantime, he has already published a website advertising his business. The website is still under construction, but according to the website, he would allow camping & events of up to 150 people on his property, & offer multi-day classes in "training in firearms, tactics, & dynamic scenarios." One of his shooting ranges is 800 yards, (over 1/2 mile), & is adjacent to public land.
    My area gets very little rain during the summer/fall. In addition to the disturbance of the peace caused by these proposed activities, we live in constant fear of wildfires, many of which are caused by target shooting. Plus, having regular multi-day events that allow alcohol & firearms, adjacent to public land where people regularly recreate, what could possibly go wrong?
    I called our local Planning & Zoning & sent them the link to his website. They said in order to have a commercial business on his property, he is required to have a Conditional Use Permit, & that a hearing with P&Z would be scheduled in the future, in which the public/neighbors would be invited to comment. I plan to attend, & bring up the issues of wildfire danger, public safety, & public nuisance/disturbance. However, as I said before, I live in a State/County where people greatly value their 2nd amendment/private property rights. So, even if we can get the rest of the nearby neighbors to comment against the proposal, I fear the County will approve.
    We have already had one negative encounter with this guy, this was before we found out that he planned to have a commercial business on his property. He got extremely defensive about his shooting, so I don't think he is going to be very agreeable if the neighbors ask him to please consider dropping or modifying his plans.
    Holy shit.

You win this thread.

That will destroy your property value as well. Have you sought legal advice yet?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Holy shit.

You win this thread.

That will destroy your property value as well. Have you sought legal advice yet?

Not yet. The hearing has not yet been scheduled. What type of lawyer/legal specialty would you suggest? I don't mind paying $$ to consult with someone, but I don't know how much of a case we would have other than our fear of wildfires & concern for public safety. We have no CC&Rs & this County absolutely prides itself on lack of government oversight. It seems like it comes down to the County Commissioners & they are very pro 2nd-amendment.

Maybe nothing will happen, but in the meantime, I will try to enjoy "paradise" as much as I can...

Not yet. The hearing has not yet been scheduled. What type of lawyer/legal specialty would you suggest? I don't mind paying $$ to consult with someone, but I don't know how much of a case we would have other than our fear of wildfires & concern for public safety. We have no CC&Rs & this County absolutely prides itself on lack of government oversight. It seems like it comes down to the County Commissioners & they are very pro 2nd-amendment.

Maybe nothing will happen, but in the meantime, I will try to enjoy "paradise" as much as I can...
    Probably want a land use attorney. You should also look into how you can get your area rezoned for non-commercial use. Agg and Residential only.

Other option is you and the nieghbors file a couple police reports about unsafe firearm usage by him eg. firing onto your property, violating any noise/time of day ordinances that may be on the books etc, etc.

If worst comes to worst, light a paperbag full of dogshit on fire, drop it on his doorstep and ding-dong-ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    If worst comes to worst, light a paperbag full of dogshit on fire, drop it on his doorstep and ding-dong-ditch.
    And hope he is not a bad shot?

One of our neighbors is the loudest motherfucker I have ever met. He talks loud, he rebuilds (grinds and grinds) his old truck from the ground up in the backyard, he talks to himself loudly, and plays shitty music loud like Linkin Park. His property in our backyard only meets ours for 20 feet, but last summer I put up a 9' fence to block him out a bit. I like him honestly, because he helped take out a couple root balls on the fence line so I could build a fence to not see him again. Ha.

One day we heard him yell over the fence to us "Shut your damn dog up!" We laughed hard, the loudest guy in the universe has a noise complaint? OK buddy.

Probably want a land use attorney. You should also look into how you can get your area rezoned for non-commercial use. Agg and Residential only.

Other option is you and the nieghbors file a couple police reports about unsafe firearm usage by him eg. firing onto your property, violating any noise/time of day ordinances that may be on the books etc, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions, it's already zoned Ag/Residential. That's why a Conditional Use Permit would be needed for his business. There are no noise ordinances, we are outside of any city limits. People hunt around here on adjacent public land so occasional gunshot sounds do occur, but constant prolonged gunshot sounds do not occur (yet). Sheriff is not the type to get involved with neighbor-to-neighbor squabbling, they have bigger issues to deal with like meth labs, domestic violence & drunk drivers.
    And while the dogshit idea is very tempting, it would not be practical or implementable due to his long gated driveway, which is probably protected by security cameras.
    But did you happen to read my post in the "Mice in the House" thread? That's the best I can do for now.

Thanks for the suggestions, it's already zoned Ag/Residential. That's why a Conditional Use Permit would be needed for his business.

but constant prolonged gunshot sounds do not occur (yet). Sheriff is not the type to get involved with neighbor-to-neighbor squabbling

But did you happen to read my post in the "Mice in the House" thread? That's the best I can do for now.
    Obviously, write letters, and show up to the county meeting to fight the issuance of the permit. If it seems like that is not going your way, fight to implement time limits on the conditional use so business hours only occur at certain times, on certain days, limit group size, are very specific about usage, etc. Argue that his sewer/septic system is not nearly up to code for that many people, etc. Lots of ways to wrap red tape around his permit.

the point of reporting stuff to the sheriff isnt to get him in trouble, its to get complaints on record so you can use legit police/sheriff reports as evidence of his unsafe/unwelcome gun handling when you argue your case to the county.

Please elaborate on your story. I want to hear about your mice, twice!

Seems like a pretty clear nuisance case to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Fork.

I've got a neighbor who lives on the other side of my wheat field 50 acres from my house. His lot is landlocked, accessible only by easement from another neighbor. When he purchased the lot the access easement was there and that was it -10 undeveloped acres. There were no powerlines and to bring it in required another easement but unfortunately for him he's an asshole and he pissed off the only two neighbors who could help him out so no power.

Unfortunately for me he built anyway and now he runs a big diesel generator 24/7 that is loud and annoying. It's a constant drone I can't escape. I can even hear it inside with the windows closed unless i have the TV or music on and I've got good windows. Sound really carries out here.
    If you, KQ, get along with the electric-easement-denying neighbors, could you approach them with a request to play ball with this generator guy...not for his sake but for yours?

Maybe they like you more than they hate him. You are very likeable after all.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I was out of town for two days and was planning to rake all the leaves today. Came home last night to 10 bags of leaves on the curb. No idea who raked them.
    The neighbor who takes care of their yard and finally got sick of the leaves from the slacker nextdoor blowing on their clean lawn. More likely that this is passive aggressive behavior than friendly.

Obviously, write letters, and show up to the county meeting to fight the issuance of the permit. If it seems like that is not going your way, fight to implement time limits on the conditional use so business hours only occur at certain times, on certain days, limit group size, are very specific about usage, etc. Argue that his sewer/septic system is not nearly up to code for that many people, etc. Lots of ways to wrap red tape around his permit.

the point of reporting stuff to the sheriff isnt to get him in trouble, its to get complaints on record so you can use legit police/sheriff reports as evidence of his unsafe/unwelcome gun handling when you argue your case to the county.

Please elaborate on your story. I want to hear about your mice, twice!
    Thanks for the great advice...on his "website," he does have some specifics on numbers of event guests & hours of noise (150 guests/event noise up until 11PM), but nothing about limiting the noise or the frequency or numbers of people attending his shooting range/classes. Hopefully we can make things a little more complicated for him by bringing up additional issues & questions at the hearing. And if it all does happen, we will definitely monitor his activities, in case we need to call the authorities.

Cross-posted from the "Mice in the house" thread: "We had a pack rat living in our hay shed. Those things are disgusting! But instead of killing it, we live-trapped it & let it loose at the end of the driveway of some distant neighbors that we haven't been real fond of lately."

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Thanks, that is somewhat encouraging. I am just glad we found out about his idea via the neighborhood grapevine, because I seriously think he would have just gone ahead with his plans without going through the CUP process. Trust me, that is the type of person he is. I mean, he has already published a website FFS.
    I will do additional research on exactly what type of "nuisance" this would pose (Public? Private?) & how it applies to my locality. While I do live in a pretty rural area, there will definitely be several dozen nearby residents affected, not to mention any Public that wants to recreate safely. I suppose when/if it happens, we will consult with someone well-versed in the local laws, but again, I live in a pretty regulation-free area. This is the downside of "freedom," I suppose...
    Last edited by isisis; 11-17-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathRaven View Post
    The neighbor who takes care of their yard and finally got sick of the leaves from the slacker nextdoor blowing on their clean lawn. More likely that this is passive aggressive behavior than friendly.
    You could be right, on the other hand when I lived in area with deciduous trees since I had powerful backpack 2 stroke leaf blower would sometimes do my neighbors leaf "raking" for them. Usually it was for older neighbors but if a neighbor was out of town I would clear their leaves for them if I had time. Another neighbor would sometimes clear snow from my driveway with his giant snowblower if I was on travel so it worked out.

At another place I had the swamp yankee version of the Langmores as neighbors. The family had been inbreeding since the 1600's locally and they figured trespass, liquor, firearm, vehicle, fish and game laws and the like didn't really apply to them. Good times....

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Apparently not per se but sometimes per accidens, But I just glossed over 26 ALR.3d 661 because I dont know what state this dude is in.

Get me this guys address. I'll get him on my mailing list for antifa propaganda, and he will unknowingly get himself on a watch list.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Get me this guys address. I'll get him on my mailing list for antifa propaganda, and he will unknowingly get himself on a watch list.
    And email. Sign him up here: https://thekrazycouponlady.com/coupons/tampons

What about the increase in traffic to his house? Is it a county road or private, either way, is the roadway suited for that increase?
    Does a turn lane or traffic study need to happen?

This all happened in my town this year from a potential campground/ raft company

All the neighbors that live on the rural road that the traffic would drive on made a petition, set up in town and had anyone that wanted to sign it.

Made a big deal that the owners are from the city, and want to change the dynamics of the area.

Anyway the neighbors made such a noise that the project is on hold.

Maybe not dead but the owners have to jump through a ton of hoops now.

Thanks for the great advice...on his "website," he does have some specifics on numbers of event guests & hours of noise (150 guests/event noise up until 11PM), but nothing about limiting the noise or the frequency or numbers of people attending his shooting range/classes. Hopefully we can make things a little more complicated for him by bringing up additional issues & questions at the hearing. And if it all does happen, we will definitely monitor his activities, in case we need to call the authorities.

Cross-posted from the "Mice in the house" thread: "We had a pack rat living in our hay shed. Those things are disgusting! But instead of killing it, we live-trapped it & let it loose at the end of the driveway of some distant neighbors that we haven't been real fond of lately.����"

Thanks, that is somewhat encouraging. I am just glad we found out about his idea via the neighborhood grapevine, because I seriously think he would have just gone ahead with his plans without going through the CUP process. Trust me, that is the type of person he is. I mean, he has already published a website FFS.
    I will do additional research on exactly what type of "nuisance" this would pose (Public? Private?) & how it applies to my locality. While I do live in a pretty rural area, there will definitely be several dozen nearby residents affected, not to mention any Public that wants to recreate safely. I suppose when/if it happens, we will consult with someone well-versed in the local laws, but again, I live in a pretty regulation-free area. This is the downside of "freedom," I suppose...
    Post up the website address.

what type of "nuisance" this would pose
    Put vanilla before your handle

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    What about the increase in traffic to his house? Is it a county road or private, either way, is the roadway suited for that increase?
    Does a turn lane or traffic study need to happen?

This all happened in my town this year from a potential campground/ raft company

All the neighbors that live on the rural road that the traffic would drive on made a petition, set up in town and had anyone that wanted to sign it.

Made a big deal that the owners are from the city, and want to change the dynamics of the area.

Anyway the neighbors made such a noise that the project is on hold.

Maybe not dead but the owners have to jump through a ton of hoops now.

I really appreciate all the suggestions!
    I doubt my neighbor reads this forum but I don't want a target on my back! Anyway, I'll risk giving this info: I live in the Gem State & definitely not in one of "blue" counties. The politicians & the locals here all favor the 2nd amendment & private property rights. If this proposal were taking place in the "blue" county right next door, it would probably be a non-starter.

Wannabe, we live on a dead-end road. County-maintained up to his place, private after his place. Very little traffic other than the neighbors, & occasional recreating public, hunters etc. There is a decent-sized subdivision over the hill with strict CC&Rs. I am trying to spread the word, but several neighbors are afraid of confrontation. This guy is without a doubt a "QAnon" Theory Subscriber; he actually built a block tower with portholes on his property! He could make life very unpleasant for all of us.

If you would like the link to the website, I would be happy to send it to you, please pm me.

^I was going to suggest getting out before any craziness goes down and let the new owners deal with it, but a block tower with portholes sounds like it has already begun.

step 1 - get bigger guns.....

step 2 - fire them enough to annoy him...

step 3 - negotiate from a position of strength...

step 5 , profit.....