Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbors...

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I was out of town for two days and was planning to rake all the leaves today. Came home last night to 10 bags of leaves on the curb. No idea who raked them.
    White people?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Yeah you need to get that driveway thing fixed pretty quickly. He can't do shit about your tank but he is going to fuck you with that driveway and if it goes long enough, he'll be legally right to do it (but it does take years usually but its easy to let that shit go for a while and then forget about it).
    Live Free or Die

Thanks for the heads up all. I did look into that scenario and it hasnt been a year yet. I'll be addressing it this coming summer. Timing is everything.

maybe not so much with a driveway but Often its when it comes time to sell is when shit goes sideways
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I was out of town for two days and was planning to rake all the leaves today. Came home last night to 10 bags of leaves on the curb. No idea who raked them.
    We have a Sacramento neighbor who blows everyone's leaves on half the block.

When I broke my back a couple of years ago we had to move down to Sacramento for a few months. First day out of the hospital--with a hospital bed in the living room--the sewer line plugs up and breaks, sending sewage onto the neighbor's. Plumber comes by--we need to replace the line. (Back in the 30's when the neighborhood was built they planted plane trees directly over the sewer line. Ours was the only one that hadn't been replaced.) Our friend across the street moves me into the studio in his backyard--he's an architect that works from home--for a week. He and the leaf guy move the bed across the street and then back again when the sewer is fixed.

By the way, you don't necessarily need to make him tear it out. Like rootskier said, I can't speak to the specific laws in your state, but adverse possession and prescriptive easement law generally follows the same principles everywhere, though each state has its twists. But in general, in order for him to gain an ownership interest, his use has to be "adverse" to the true owner. So like Name Redacted described, an agreement wherein he acknowledges your ownership and you give permission will prevent him from gaining an ownership interest. Because then his use is permissive and not adverse.

Just make sure that in that agreement you don't sign away your rights to have him tear it out if necessary! (because then regardless of ownership, you could give him some enforceable right to keep it there).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    y' know unless you are the guy in that alaskan reality TV show, people who live in the country are still gona have neighbors who do fucked up things they just do different fucked up things than people do in a suburban hood

corner lot with a big church lawn across the street, an alley, 1 storey houses when I'm 2 story so don't see much of anythig ... this place is pretty good

I just have to keep an eye on that Catholic priest
    Why? You think he's cute?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Why? You think he's cute?
    the guy in the Alaskan reality TV show needs to shave

Quote Originally Posted by papapoopski View Post
    Thanks for the heads up all. I did look into that scenario and it hasnt been a year yet. I'll be addressing it this coming summer. Timing is everything.
    When he shovels/plows/blows salt filled snow onto your grass next to his extended driveway i think you can also get him for the chemical damage to your property. Maybe drop some deficient and ensure that he has to spend a fair bit to fix your property.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    By the way, you don't necessarily need to make him tear it out. Like rootskier said, I can't speak to the specific laws in your state, but adverse possession and prescriptive easement law generally follows the same principles everywhere, though each state has its twists. But in general, in order for him to gain an ownership interest, his use has to be "adverse" to the true owner. So like Name Redacted described, an agreement wherein he acknowledges your ownership and you give permission will prevent him from gaining an ownership interest. Because then his use is permissive and not adverse.

Just make sure that in that agreement you don't sign away your rights to have him tear it out if necessary! (because then regardless of ownership, you could give him some enforceable right to keep it there).
    True, but as someone mentioned earlier that is going to be a pain in the ass if he ever sells, even if it is not a big deal now.

I know if I was looking to purchase I'd be demanding it get fixed prior to buying.

Plus it lets the guy skate, and it doesn't sound like he deserves it vs if he was a stand up neighbor and the contractor just fucked up or something.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    True, but as someone mentioned earlier that is going to be a pain in the ass if he ever sells, even if it is not a big deal now.

I know if I was looking to purchase I'd be demanding it get fixed prior to buying.

Plus it lets the guy skate, and it doesn't sound like he deserves it vs if he was a stand up neighbor and the contractor just fucked up or something.
    I don't disagree. Was just pointing out that forcing him to rip it up was not the only option available if the goal is not to lose ownership.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

just put up a fence cuz they make for good neighbors

Pound the posts right on through the pavement.

^^^ in my side gig as a hack real estate mogul, we looked at purchasing a property that had exactly that. Guy had a boundary survey, chalked a line across his neighbor's concrete pad, and started drilling.

It was a nice fence too. Cedar, 4x6 posts, hidden fasteners... I guess his sense of craftsmanship was still stronger than his contempt for his neighbor.

4x6's....ballin out with his spite. I dig it.
    Live Free or Die

I lived in SF for a spell and I had a complete asshole of a neighbor. I poured out about $50 in patchouli oil on his stoop.

/thug life
    Hello darkness my old friend

Would have been even better on the floorboards of his car...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Gotta get on that driveway issue ASAP. My brother in law had this issue and a property easement issue at the same time. He won, but PITA.
    So...when we lived in Berkeley, (we didn't know this until we sold), but all the property lines were straight, but nobody's actual property line was the "straight" line. The whole city was on, (mostly slowly, 5 -38 mm/year), moving ground so many houses had actually slid onto the neighbors lot. That neighbors house had slid as well, etc. It was pretty cool to look at the whole neighborhood, and see the original plotting, and see where the houses were at the present.
    https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...or-2662450.php
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

a renter moved in next door last yr and he set up his dog with a nice long leash in his backyard
    But his dog would go as far as he could out on the leash and take his shits in my yard, basically right outside my window where I WFH and the guy wasn't picking it up

He was always friendly and I liked his dog so after about 20 large shits started piling up in my yard, I saw him outside and asked him if he'd ever seen that movie, "Me Myself and Irene"- remember the dog pooping scene?
    Him: Oh ya, haha funny movie
    Me: Well I'd rather not have to go to Hank's level and give him a wink
    Him: Oooh .........(can see him recalling the scene in his head and the realization)
    And he has been awesome about cleaning it up ever since (I told him I didnt mind his dog coming over into our yard as long as he cleaned up after his dog)
    skid luxury

Wow, you are a MUCH better person than most of us!
    This is why there should be a female President.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Pound the posts right on through the pavement.
    When we had to have a survey in order to build a garage the surveyor drove a railroad spike through the asphalt paving of the asshole neighbor's parking pad. Unfortunately it's too close to the edge to ruin anyone's tires.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Wow, you are a MUCH better person than most of us!
    This is why there should be a female President.
    it was an easy way to get the point across with that movie scene......hard to forget lol
    and I like to give them the benefit of the doubt to recognize the issue and improve. and he did, which is a bit of a pleasant surprise in this day and age
    skid luxury

When I was a kid, our neighbor came over and asked my dad if he could help out my dad with yard work. My dad was early in his career, two kids, busy at work and not enough time for landscaping, but he definitely got the message and became meticulous about yard care. I still am not sure if that was really nice of the neighbor, or just super passive aggressive.

Maybe I need to be lazier and hope for more passive aggressiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    a renter moved in next door last yr and he set up his dog with a nice long leash in his backyard
    But his dog would go as far as he could out on the leash and take his shits in my yard, basically right outside my window where I WFH and the guy wasn't picking it up

He was always friendly and I liked his dog so after about 20 large shits started piling up in my yard, I saw him outside and asked him if he'd ever seen that movie, "Me Myself and Irene"- remember the dog pooping scene?
    Him: Oh ya, haha funny movie
    Me: Well I'd rather not have to go to Hank's level and give him a wink
    Him: Oooh .........(can see him recalling the scene in his head and the realization)
    And he has been awesome about cleaning it up ever since (I told him I didnt mind his dog coming over into our yard as long as he cleaned up after his dog)
    We were like you--didn't mind the renters next door having their dogs poop in our yard as long as they picked it up, but after one after the next after the next refused to pick up we blocked off the access from next door to us.
    The woman next to us has a young doby. She walks the dog on the one lane dead end street behind us. For a while she would take extra bags and leave them next to the piles of shit other peoples' dogs were leaving, along with little signs asking them to pick it up. Didn't do any good.