Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbors...

At my last company my office faced the side of our parking lot where our dumpster was. I was surprised how often I'd see random cars driving past, and then a couple mins later, drive back. I didn't clue in til I saw a pickup loaded with stuff drive past, then then drive out unloaded. We put locks on the dumpster after that which pretty much stopped it.

I realized after that I may have unintentionally busted one of the dumpers when we found financial documents for a particular company blowing around in our parking lot - financial statements, bank statements, correspondence. I looked up the company and called its CFO to tell him about all the confidential stuff floating around. He actually came and picked it up. Didn't think of it at the time but it may well have blown out of that dumpster. Not sure why someone would dump it rather than shred it at their own office. But I imagine the conversation with the person whose name was on most of the correspondence covered that among other things.

At least they took the effort to leave in a dumpster

Any time I use my charcoal grill for long periods or entertain guests in my back yard (didn't happen this year) my closest neighbor will blast Chinese talk radio at a completely unreasonable volume.

Fork.

I've got a neighbor who lives on the other side of my wheat field 50 acres from my house. His lot is landlocked, accessible only by easement from another neighbor. When he purchased the lot the access easement was there and that was it -10 undeveloped acres. There were no powerlines and to bring it in required another easement but unfortunately for him he's an asshole and he pissed off the only two neighbors who could help him out so no power.

Unfortunately for me he built anyway and now he runs a big diesel generator 24/7 that is loud and annoying. It's a constant drone I can't escape. I can even hear it inside with the windows closed unless i have the TV or music on and I've got good windows. Sound really carries out here.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    One of our neighbors is a cop and when shit started going south he put lights outside the house. Then he put more up. Then a few more. Half are on light sensors so they go on a little before dark which is pretty early now and the others are on motion sensors. Basically the place is lit up like a baseball stadium at night very time a car goes by or a deer walks down the street. We've all asked him to tone it down and been told to shut up and go away. He says that if the people he has trouble with at work find out where he lives he wants to be able to see who he's shooting when they come to "visit". There's another guy at the corner that's a detective and he rigged the perimeter of his property with pressure and motion sensors that set off sirens when activated.

Not only will the town not do anything they think it's a great idea and these two guys will keep us all safe with their "precautions". I can tell you that it sux when the critters are moving around at night and set everything off.
    All these lights and OP wants passive aggressive: mirrors aimed at the offender's windows.

One of my neighbors is Tongan, he is a very pleasant guy. His nephews help me move heavy stuff if I need a hand and are super nice. My other neighbor is an older African American couple. He says hi every day and he does great small tlak, and he feeds the crows to keep them from pecking the yards. On the other side of the alley is a Chinese family, the dad is an electrician and he has helped me out a few times and adamantly refused when I offered to pay him. Reading the stories in this thread, I can't imagine going back to having white people as neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, our neighborhood Trumpie has cameras and security lights that shine brighter than the sun into our (and our neighbor’s) windows whenever a car, dog, cat, Chupacabra, jackalope, or human goes by on the street. She was politely asked to chill it out, which was met with a hearty (between the lines) fuck off.
    so Thursday I snuck by her camera, and applied electrical tape to just 2/3’rds of her light’s sensor. It still goes off when she pulls in, but the sensor no longer can pick anything up from the street.
    Small victories, I guess. She hasn’t caught on.
    I’m a rebel.

Got any passive-aggressive success stories?
    Good job! I love revenge like this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    All these lights and OP wants passive aggressive: mirrors aimed at the offender's windows.
    Mirrors that shimmy a shake a little, for added effect. Disco ball too!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Definitely odd. I have a work dumpster that people constantly throw random shit in too. It's not odd though because it's unlocked in a back alley, it's easy to do and generally hard to figure out the asshole doing it. But it still drives me nuts, when we remodeled our place last year and we needed every square foot in it for construction debris and people would constantly fill it up. Some dumb ass threw in a ton of shit with their address all over boxes and shit though, on a day where we really needed the space. So I took all their shit out and put it on their doorstep. Took me about 6-7 trips and I felt so smug doing it.

I realized a week later it was the wrong door.
    Coffee sprayed.

We had a neighbor down the road who would walk his dogs up to our yard, stand and smoke cigs and drink natty lite while his dogs shit in my yard. He also loved to park his hummer in the handicap spot in front of the grocery store. I had him towed one day. Then he moved because the town was unfriendly. Biggest dick I ever met

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    One of my neighbors is Tongan, he is a very pleasant guy. His nephews help me move heavy stuff if I need a hand and are super nice. My other neighbor is an older African American couple. He says hi every day and he does great small tlak, and he feeds the crows to keep them from pecking the yards. On the other side of the alley is a Chinese family, the dad is an electrician and he has helped me out a few times and adamantly refused when I offered to pay him. Reading the stories in this thread, I can't imagine going back to having white people as neighbors.
    I had no idea where you were going with this, but laughed when I reached the end.

The most important lesson I learned about neighbor issues--I was talking to a cop about it, he said he had a neighbor from hell and the way he had to deal with it was to move. If cops can't deal with bad neighbors, the rest of us have no chance.
    Our full time neighbors--both owners and renters--are all good folks. The people that come to their second home occasionally and the vacation renters not so much. One of the problems with STR's is that no matter how considerate and respectful the renters and landlord are you're still living next to a different set of strangers every week. That's not a normal situation for humans.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    so first you trespass and steal their lightbulbs
    then
    code enforcement ken em
    anyone ever tell you
    yur a shitty neighbor bro
    thou shall not steal dont apply to you?
    ya wanna narc people out for codes cool
    theft aint
    thats not straight chutin pardner
    our neighbors gave us a grand worth of rock
    and the wife brings them home cooked dinner every sunday
    #buildthewall

winning
    My old slc neighbors probably had a grand of rock...

Name:  42C2B9DC-C3C4-4C01-91F5-6E63ED3016D8.jpeg
Views: 1220
Size:  56.6 KB

Then they smoked it. The end.

I was out of town for two days and was planning to rake all the leaves today. Came home last night to 10 bags of leaves on the curb. No idea who raked them.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I was out of town for two days and was planning to rake all the leaves today. Came home last night to 10 bags of leaves on the curb. No idea who raked them.
    Somebody chiseled out our driveway packed snow hump a few years ago. It was pretty epic.

Spread em back out on your yard!!!!

Do!!! It!!!!!

Paging Mustonen to the driveway neighbor related passive aggressive story-phone.

Nice Mormon kid down the block?

For my front yard I usually wait for the inevitable wind storm that blows everything almost perfectly to my neighbors yards.

Waiting to see my across-the-street neighbor to post here about me...

Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    you white people are so funny !

leaves are good for top dressing the garlic
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Nice Mormon kid down the block?
    Thinking that is the case which makes Yeti's rec more appealing. But I hate raking leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The most important lesson I learned about neighbor issues--I was talking to a cop about it, he said he had a neighbor from hell and the way he had to deal with it was to move. If cops can't deal with bad neighbors, the rest of us have no chance.
    Our full time neighbors--both owners and renters--are all good folks. The people that come to their second home occasionally and the vacation renters not so much. One of the problems with STR's is that no matter how considerate and respectful the renters and landlord are you're still living next to a different set of strangers every week. That's not a normal situation for humans.
    It's normal if you live around Donner Lake

Last year I bought a house in a neighborhood. First time ever having neighbors.

My furnace craps out one day. Came home to no heat. Pellets aren't being delivered for 2 days for the back up stove. I call a neighbor, she puts the word out to the whole block. Within 15 min I’m juggling incoming phone calls offering help and multiple cars dropping off pellets for me. Felt pretty good. It’s a great place, I’m friendly with all the neighbors. When I make cookies with my kids we make enough to drop off to the neighbors. We all watch out for each other.

This past spring new guy moves in next door. I'm having propane hooked up for a stove. Propane co. is using the smallest tank available, 60# tank I think, maybe 4 ft tall and 2 ft wide. New guy comes over and tells me that he doesn't like where it's being placed. Nobody but him can see the tank but ok, let's take a look. I walk out with him. The installers stop their work. New guy doesn't want to look at it from his house. Wants it put in my backyard, adding 60 ft of material plus labor at my cost. While in the backyard he shit talks the guy he bought the house from (who I was friends with). He also suggests that I cut down trees on my property. Says it would get him more sun on his yard. Says all the people walking by comment on how nice it is that he's working on his house, while gesturing toward mine as if it's not up to his standards (my grass is cut, yard is clean, gardens kept well, house is in good repair, it’s just house and yard, no extra shit). It wasn’t just the words, like shit talking half the neighbors, the guy just speaks like an entitled dick.

I offer to put a wooden box around the tank. He still wants the tank moved. He also wants me to cut down my lilac bushes. The lilac bushes that hide the new tank. I am polite. I say no.

Fast forward to the end of summer. Neighbor guy paves his driveway and makes it several feet wider, and about 3 feet of which are on my property. If the guy wasn't such a dick I wouldn’t care. It's in a place I have no use for and the space is way more usable to him than to me. I tend to let things go way more often than not. But my dad is a manipulative, calculating, grudge holding, cold hearted bastard. As much as I try to avoid being like him at all cost, I am the fruit of his loins. So if neighbor guy wants to make this hard, I have learned from one of the very best on how to make neighbor guy regret knocking on my door about the fucking propane tank.

I haven’t said anything to him about his driveway yet. I'm going to hold that little ace card for future use. I’ll be doing landscaping next summer behind my house and I'll just do what I want. Go ahead and make a comment neighbor guy.

I’m new to this neighbor shit.

Don't let it go too long. Here in NY there's something about not maintaining part of your property for some length of time where it reverts to the neighbor that does maintain it or some weird shit like that. I have an issue with one neighbor that refuses to trim his bushes because he can't see my side so I trimmed them way back a few years ago and used the empty space to put snow piles in when I shoveled. He freaked and pulled out the property map and showed me where our driveway is 8" onto his property but since he hadn't touched it in 20 years it wasn't actually his anymore. Ever since then he's made my life suck.

I am not going to pretend to be an expert on NY law, but around here, if someone uses your property whenever they want without your permission for 5 years, they can acquire a prescriptive easement, which means they can continue to use your property in perpetuity, and a court will protect that right. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by papapoopski View Post
    I haven’t said anything to him about his driveway yet. I'm going to hold that little ace card for future use. I’ll be doing landscaping next summer behind my house and I'll just do what I want. Go ahead and make a comment neighbor guy.

I’m new to this neighbor shit.
    You let it stay over 5 years and it becomes adverse possession and tougher for you t get rid of. Make him remove it now.

Moved into our house and discovered the same thing. Had to get a lawyer involved to draft paperwork saying they understood that this 3 square yards were our. Fucking stupid, expensive, time consuming bullshit that made buying our dream home more stressful.

y' know unless you are the guy in that alaskan reality TV show, people who live in the country are still gona have neighbors who do fucked up things they just do different fucked up things than people do in a suburban hood

corner lot with a big church lawn across the street, an alley, 1 storey houses when I'm 2 story so don't see much of anythig ... this place is pretty good

I just have to keep an eye on that Catholic priest
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know