Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    SFB your dad looks younger now than you did almost ten years ago when I met you. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    That’s a weird fetish. No judgment.
    You say it... but I think you *are* judging.

Bastid!

Clean the garage.

Then look in and sigh in appreciation of a job done well.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

If someone wants you to pour something into a glass for them, insist that they put it down or hand it to you. "Never pour something into a glass or container that someone else is holding." It drove me nuts as a kid. I fully get it now.

Have a beard. I do some stuff with power tools sometimes. That's pretty much it. I don't have any offspring and don't plan on it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'm a lot like my dad I'm told--cranky, impatient, but he didn't have a lot of time or interest in dad stuff. We played catch--once. We tried to build a birdhouse together--once. Guess he was ticking off the boxes. I think he was mostly irritated by his kids And then my youngest brother was juvenile diabetic and autistic, so that absorbed his attention.

I tried to do stuff with my kids. Up until the last couple of years I did a back trip every year with one son and a ski trip every year with the other. We've been each other's main ski partner despite his being a monumentally better skier than I am. And the backpacking one is a lot stronger than I am so as the years went on he got more and more weight and I got less and less, which was nice.

With my dad family vacations--2 weeks every summer like clockwork--were a trial. My wife and I bought our house on Donner Lake--now our home--so we had an easy way to spend fun time with the kids.

Oh, having a runny nose constantly. Wtf.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Refuse to pay someone to do something I can do myself, even if it takes me 4 times as long.
    Just rebuilt a wall in our backyard and totally had flashbacks to my dad doing the same thing many times as a kid.
    I called him and let him know I finally figure out why he has back problems.
    My sciatica is killing me. Oy.

Just hanging with my kid not saying much, but being there for her.

Watch the news religiously. Jezus christ the 13 yr old me is just cringing, I thought it was boring shit.

I am happy to report, that i DO NOT watch lawrence welk reruns.

yet.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Refuse to pay someone to do something I can do myself, even if it takes me 4 times as long.
    Just rebuilt a wall in our backyard and totally had flashbacks to my dad doing the same thing many times as a kid.
    Heh.

Grouse about lights being left on.

from my grandfather:
    hate noises in the car. if something is rattling, or rolling around, or if someone is crinkling a bag/wrapper. Makes me mental.
    He once reached over to the backseat, grabbed a bag that was rattling in the wind. Violently threw it out the window (said bag had his new oil filter in it).

No one laughed.
    north bound horse.

Watch the news on a bongo board, whilst having a nightcap (although his was bourbon, mine is tequila).

Dude took me on my first side country trip at Jackson Hole with a guide when I was a kid in 1978, I have not looked back!

I can't think of anyone I keep in contact with that is more different than me, than my Dad.

Heh. I’m the exact opposite - I’m becoming okay with paying people to do things I could, like my dad did. I thought he was dumb, but the older I get, the smarter my dad seems. And my back doesn’t hurt as much.

Things your Dad did that you do now...

I never flippantly swear, try and use proper grammar, and practice good manners.
    Last edited by 4matic; 11-17-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    from my grandfather:
    hate noises in the car. if something is rattling, or rolling around, or if someone is crinkling a bag/wrapper. Makes me mental.
    He once reached over to the backseat, grabbed a bag that was rattling in the wind. Violently threw it out the window (said bag had his new oil filter in it).

No one laughed.
    They put radios in cars so you don't have to hear all the squeaks and rattles.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Heh. I’m the exact opposite - I’m becoming okay with paying people to do things I could, like my dad did. I thought he was dumb, but the older I get, the smarter my dad seems. And my back doesn’t hurt as much.
    My dad refuses to pay anyone to do anything. He is fairly talented, but most of his projects turn out looking like he did them. I am a bit smarter than that. When it comes to stuff that could affect resale value, I pay. Stuff like building a wall so we can make a large fire pit in the backyard, yeah, well, it will take me less time to do it than it will to get someone to even come out here right now.
    I buffed out and ceramic coated my 34 ft boat last year. Took months, but I saved $5,000, and it looks way better than it would have if someone else half assed it.

I like to say that as I get older I have figured out what is worth paying other people to do. It sure is nice to come home and have it done though. I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    They put radios in cars so you don't have to hear all the squeaks and rattles.
    The radio isn't working for some reason in our Bronco project. It has 4 tires with flat spots and most of the interior trim is loose. My daughter asked me the other day if the truck sounds like this on the outside. She was worried that it sounded like it was falling apart and scaring the people walking on the sidewalk. I kinda don't want to fix the radio until I get all the sound deadening mat in, and fix all the trim.

...I like to say that as I get older I have figured out what is worth paying other people to do. It sure is nice to come home and have it done though. I get it.
    Those are good points, and for me it does depend on the project and my skills.

The radio isn't working for some reason in our Bronco project. It has 4 tires with flat spots and most of the interior trim is loose. My daughter asked me the other day if the truck sounds like this on the outside. She was worried that it sounded like it was falling apart and scaring the people walking on the sidewalk. I kinda don't want to fix the radio until I get all the sound deadening mat in, and fix all the trim.
    My kid inherited my 87 4Runner when he was in HS. Something wasn't quite right with the exhaust system--we could hear him coming home 3 blocks away and know it was him. The dog was the first to know, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Grouse about lights being left on.
    Don't get me started! I started doing this when the bill had my name on it. That was about 45 years ago.

Add to the grouse list unreported faucet drips (or not turned all the way off) and running toilets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Growing up, every morning before school I'd be in the shower when my dad would walk into the bathroom before work. He'd inevitably fart while taking his morning piss, which was incredibly irritating for me, seeing that I was in the shower in a small bathroom. If I dared say something, he'd just grunt or mutter "get your own house."

I don't fart in my daughter's bathroom but...

My farts sound alarmingly alike to my dad's. They were burned into my hard drive and now I nearly get deja vu at times at my own farts.

Seems like there's some crossover material here for a "Things your father did TO you" thread.