Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    jackstraw, I'm curious about the "cleaner power" with Kohler, what's that about?
    The sine wave is better. Shit sine wave can cause issues and in some cases not even power new tech devices. We've seen issues. Generally speaking, I'm sure they're fine for most.

So, I sell these stupid things and every year they just make them bigger and more $$ because they can. The normal big size was 10-12kw and now it's 22kw that everyone buys. We sell way more Generac than Kohler because of cost, but I've sat thru some schooling on this crap and quite honestly forgot most details...because I don't personally sell them. Anyway, most guys that really care about quality only buy the Kohler. Generac is the giant and they rebrand their stuff to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Not sure where you are getting that info. They are all glorified lawnmower engines designed to run on propane or natural gas. Once you step up into 20KW+ you are usually getting a bigger diesel engine, but then noise and cost go up significantly.
    As an electrical engineer i was wined and dined in Milwaukee and given tours of thier large and small genset plants. It might look like a lawnmower to you but there's a bit more to them.

Beer and Brats?

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    You want to come borrow the Honda? I've used it many times to run router, modem, computer, and refrigeration.

Can't believe we live 20 minutes away and have never had an outage last more than 6-7 hours.
    Thx no it’s ok to miss a day...no deadlines thankfully

Power just fired back up anyway

We managed to actually play a board game with the teenager without screen interruptus

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    ::: :::, a Standby unit of 10-15kw would be a good choice. If you have NG, go that route
    Thx

Home generator specs?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    So, I sell these stupid things
    (Snip)
    Anyway, most guys that really care about quality only buy the Kohler. Generac is the giant and they rebrand their stuff to everyone.
    Thx good to know
    (On the sine wave detail too)

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    As an electrical engineer i was wined and dined in Milwaukee and given tours of thier large and small genset plants. It might look like a lawnmower to you but there's a bit more to them.
    The term I used was "glorified" lawnmower. I'm sure Kohler, Cummins, etc, each glorify theirs too. You didn't visit the others I guess.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I had the 22kw Generac. I was out of power often, sometimes up to a week.
    It ran everything and worked fine.

I have a 6.5 kW Honda inverter genie. It has over 400 hrs on it (all on gas). I live in a 1500sq ft house with well and storage tank (two electric pumps). We have no AC. Our dryer is electric which we can’t use with the genie (50A). Other big draws are from dishwasher, portable heater, and portable appliances. We can basically run everything but the drier off that genie. But we monitor/stagger use of some of our electric appliances. I bought the genie used with a spoiled carb in it and a handful of hours of use. I hired an electrician to wire up a plug outlet, a manual transfer switch, and build the cord/plug. Other than fuel, we’ve spent ~$3k on the generator, electrician, transfer switch, big power cord, etc. Someday, I’ll get a second propane tank and the genie stuff to convert it to burn propane. I turn it off at night.

We have several friends with generac auto-transfer backup generators. Several hundred hours of use. They’ve never had problems with their systems, though they sometimes burn through a lot of propane by accident like when there’s a power loss, they’re out of town, and they forgot to turn of their transfer switch (but their food didn’t spoil. They continue with life as normal during outages.

Shoot the hostages! Wait, what?

Home generator specs?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I have a 6.5 kW Honda inverter genie. It has over 400 hrs on it (all on gas). I live in a 1500sq ft house with well and storage tank (two electric pumps). We have no AC. Our dryer is electric which we can’t use with the genie (50A). Other big draws are from dishwasher, portable heater, and portable appliances. We can basically run everything but the drier off that genie. But we monitor/stagger use of some of our electric appliances. I bought the genie used with a spoiled carb in it and a handful of hours of use. I hired an electrician to wire up a plug outlet, a manual transfer switch, and build the cord/plug. Other than fuel, we’ve spent ~$3k on the generator, electrician, transfer switch, big power cord, etc. Someday, I’ll get a second propane tank and the genie stuff to convert it to burn propane. I turn it off at night.

We have several friends with generac auto-transfer backup generators. Several hundred hours of use. They’ve never had problems with their systems, though they sometimes burn through a lot of propane by accident like when there’s a power loss, they’re out of town, and they forgot to turn of their transfer switch (but their food didn’t spoil. They continue with life as normal during outages.
    I feel like this is the call. Unless you have someone on life support in your home or your running a bitcoin farm in your basement.... why do you need to run every circuit and have a fancy smart ATS. Get a bigger portable gene and hire an electrician to make it plug and play. Then just manage the panel and fueling for your daily needs for those rare occasions you’re out of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I feel like this is the call. Unless you have someone on life support in your home or your running a bitcoin farm in your basement.... why do you need to run every circuit and have a fancy smart ATS. Get a bigger portable gene and hire an electrician to make it plug and play. Then just manage the panel and fueling for your daily needs for those rare occasions you’re out of power.

Because no one likes waking up at 2 am in February and fucking with getting the generator going.

This is extra paranoid, but if our number comes up and we get the big quake that's in the cards, it would be really nice to have a generator that runs off a propane / gas tank on your property, not the natural gas line. Of course, that also implies you'd want months of fuel, so maybe better not to go down that road.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Because no one likes waking up at 2 am in February and fucking with getting the generator going.
    2am? For heat? I heat with wood.

I hadn't considered that, but good point. You can kind of figure propane usage here: https://motorsnorkel.com/propane-consumption-rate/

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    This is extra paranoid, but if our number comes up and we get the big quake that's in the cards, it would be really nice to have a generator that runs off a propane / gas tank on your property, not the natural gas line. Of course, that also implies you'd want months of fuel, so maybe better not to go down that road.
    that scenario is def in my head

2am? For heat? I heat with wood.
    Among other things. I have pump up septic and a well. Auto-on generator is 100% worth the premium. First time the power goes out mid shower you'll thank yourself.
    Also key here as we're last on the list to get power as a rural community. Any serious new england ice storm has a good chance of knocking out power for a bit. As long as cable internet holds it means we're 100% up for work and home needs through the duration.

Home generator specs?

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Among other things. I have pump up septic and a well. Auto-on generator is 100% worth the premium. First time the power goes out mid shower you'll thank yourself.
    Also key here as we're last on the list to get power as a rural community. Any serious new england ice storm has a good chance of knocking out power for a bit. As long as cable internet holds it means we're 100% up for work and home needs through the duration.
    That makes sense. But we’ve gotten by with our more simple system for 4 years (those 400hrs of run time are during waking hrs). The friend that prescribed my system to me lives nearish to barrington. He did the wiring himself at his home.

Btw, cable internet in a rural areas?! We have dsl at 6mbps max. Most of my neighbors have satellite internet. No cell coverage.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 11-13-2020 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

I did it for years. Then one time your not at home and the basement floods.

Home generator specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I did it for years. Then one time your not at home and the basement floods.
    Sorry to hear about your basement bitcoin farm.

We would take a different approach if we needed power for something like that. Situational dependent.

Before I went with the system we have in place, I consulted with an electrician referenced to me (not the one that I hired). He came to my place, checked out out energy demands, and gave me a BS spitball quote for a 15kw generator. Telling me that it was the minimum size that he’d recommend for our home.

Depending on your budget I would be taking a hard look at driving your house with battery systems. Charged by multiple sources. Solar panels, utilities and a generator " just in case"

Batteries have lots of advantages. The biggest being well filtered uninterupted power. Electronics and appliances are even becoming more available in DC only "No inverter" to turn ac to DC.

I believe this is the future. It's just a bit pricey

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Thx
    reread, go with propane, with power not out weeks on end in this area, you don't need an overpriced system

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The term I used was "glorified" lawnmower. I'm sure Kohler, Cummins, etc, each glorify theirs too. You didn't visit the others I guess.
    the crankshafts on gen sets engines are completely different than any other small engine, duh
    you've never rebuilt any internal gas engine before, have you?
    btw, Cummins doesn't make ANY engine that will work on a "lawnmower"

How do you wire the well pump(s) so you can plug them into a portable and disconnect from main box?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app