Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA: Inreach Mini $250 from REI

That is a good deal. Also, right now REI members get an additional 20%.

I am thinking about picking up one of these for treks in the backcountry (skiing, camping, kayak trips)
    https://satellitephonestore.com/cata...-phone-kit-322
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I bought one this summer for solo backpacking trips. My family is a huge fan knowing they''ll hear from me if there's a serious problem or just a delay. They are an amazing little device paired with a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Also, right now REI members get an additional 20%.
    Nope, the 20% coupons are for a full price item or an outlet item (the InReach is neither).
    Still a solid price, I ordered one.
    Last edited by adrenalated; 11-13-2020 at 10:40 AM.

I am thinking about picking up one of these for treks in the backcountry (skiing, camping, kayak trips)
    Doesn't seem to be working with the inReach

I love mine. Small enough to always have in the pack. Use the pre-defined texts on at least 50% of outdoor adventures (even if it's just "alive and headed home")

These have been sold out on Garmin site for a while, anyone know if they are planning an upgrade cycle?
    "Last one to the bottom is a Coward"

Snagged on to replace my Spot 2 which works well enough when everything goes well but could be a problem if shit hits the fan and it's a 1-way communication device.

Edit: if anyone is interested in said Spot Gen 2 in perfect working order shoot me a PM, I'll send it your way for cheap.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Doesn't seem to be working with the inReach
    "Discounts not valid on ... any item with GPS technology, action cameras and accessories, fitness trackers, personal locator beacons, avalanche transceiver and airbag products."

Still bought one and appreciate the PSA - even if I never use it in the field, it will definitely help with peace of mind on the home front.

Pretty sure the 20% is off full priced items or outlet items only. Not sale items.

Just to reiterate, the 20% REI coupon is NOT valid on this item. In case anybody was still wondering...

I bought one a few months ago since more of my outings have been alone and avoiding people this year, in more remote areas. What are you guys doing on subscription plans? My initial thought was to do the month-to-month cancel at any time, but I decided to do a year long contract. Thought being that if I had to activate before an outing, I'd be tempted to just go without and not pay.

I encourage new users to test it out sending and receiving messages. It's fairly easy but has a learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I bought one a few months ago since more of my outings have been alone and avoiding people this year, in more remote areas. What are you guys doing on subscription plans? My initial thought was to do the month-to-month cancel at any time, but I decided to do a year long contract. Thought being that if I had to activate before an outing, I'd be tempted to just go without and not pay.

I encourage new users to test it out sending and receiving messages. It's fairly easy but has a learning curve.
    I got one as an Xmas present from fiance's parents a few years ago and we did the cheapest year contract. If you go over the allotted messages it's really not that expensive, and having it always be "on" means there's no excuse to not bring it, even on pretty mellow outings. Just in case.

I have also made pretty good use of it during international travel when it didn't make sense to get a SIM card or upgrade to an international plan (like weekend trips to Canada).

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

I bought the year round plan, as I bc ski, hike and backpack alone more frequently than I should, and if i'm not bc skiing I'm hiking and backpacking. I bought the basic plan and mostly use the preset messages. May feel the need to upgrade, but haven't yet.

Does the members 20% off work on this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

You need to read above.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyadolescent View Post
    I bought the year round plan, as I bc ski, hike and backpack alone more frequently than I should, and if i'm not bc skiing I'm hiking and backpacking. I bought the basic plan and mostly use the preset messages. May feel the need to upgrade, but haven't yet.
    Same here, for the same reasons plus mountain biking. I posted in one of the Sprocket Rocket threads and there was a little InReach chatter.

What are you guys doing on subscription plans? My initial thought was to do the month-to-month cancel at any time, but I decided to do a year long contract. Thought being that if I had to activate before an outing, I'd be tempted to just go without and not pay.
    I keep it on year round on the cheapest plan ($12/mo Safety ???)
    Decided I don't need the remote location tracking. It's possible I could be solo and incapacitated and regret that but.....

Similar rationale as others - encourages me to just take it everytime skiiing, hiking, biking, jeeping etc .. Never know when you'll need it, for yourself or someone else you come across

Also did the math. By the time you pay a higher monthly rate and turn subscription on and off a couple times it's cheaper to have the annual subscription.

I started on the month to month plan, but eventually switched to year round for the same reasons as everyone else. If you have a wife/partner at home you will end up using it plenty.

One thing to think about if you're on the fence about owning one of these - so of course it gives a margin of safety in some situations where things might otherwise get dire, but it also means that many situations that would previously be a search and rescue are now just a rescue. Eliminates all the time, money, effort and hazard that SARs has to take on trying to find your (my) dumb ass. Now they can just get straight to extracting your broken self. I suppose this mostly applies to solo adventuring, but that's mainly why I have it.

As I mentioned in the other thread- I’ve never felt like I needed one, but on the other hand I can’t think of a reason not to have one.

Been on the fence about one for a while, and I've definitely been pushing it to more remote areas lately. Thanks for the PSA.

If you recreate in areas without cell service, buy this thing. It's a no brainer.

I use a Somewear; the subscription plan is a little cheaper and easier to cancel, but my buddies with InReaches can send text messages, which I'm pretty jealous of (Somewear has its own messaging app.)

Thanks for the heads up, been meaning to pick one of these up. I do a lot of solo trips and will def bring some peace of mind.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yup. Finally pulled the trigger. Between solo hunting, skiing, mountain biking etc. I should have bought one of these years ago.