Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Surfy Pow Skis

Surfy Pow Skis

The Protest was the first ski I was ever on where I truly felt "surfy". It was one of the most fun days I've ever had and it was an 8" day. I'd imagine full reverse/rocker would be max "surfiness" but would be no fun on a groomer. What're your favorite surfy pow skis that can still survive a groomer?

Praxis Powderboard. Groomers absolutely survivable. Just go straight ish.

The no longer produced Jeffrey 122. Plenty of rocker, easy to get loose, and obviously plenty of float, but when things get cruddy or groomed, there's still enough camber under foot and stiffness to not feel completely lost.

Protest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Anyone skied both the Protest and Chipotle Banana? Also curious about this question as my old Lotus 138 that I've since parted with has left me missing that surfy feeling.

Moment Chipotle Banana, but it won’t survive the groomer, it will destroy it on the way back incredible ski, imho. So stout, loose when you want it and locked in when want it that way. There is a thread on it here besides in the Moment thread.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

PB's
    Kusala's gonna be a surfin' destroyer too

I've got an old pair of powder boards in 195 you could have for cheap. I'm in NC WA if you happen to be heading this way.

Chetlers!

Protest and now I added redeemer which is a reverse camber protest

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    The Protest was the first ski I was ever on where I truly felt "surfy". It was one of the most fun days I've ever had and it was an 8" day. I'd imagine full reverse/rocker would be max "surfiness" but would be no fun on a groomer. What're your favorite surfy pow skis that can still survive a groomer?
    1st gen Black Crows Nocta (circa 2011-2014, 146-125-140) with rocker-camber-rocker had way too good groomer performance for their purpouse. Heavy with today's standard ~2500 g per ski, but great performers.

Protest, I love the way my Praxis Lhasa Pow Fats float and get sideways in pow.

Surfy Pow Skis

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Anyone skied both the Protest and Chipotle Banana? Also curious about this question as my old Lotus 138 that I've since parted with has left me missing that surfy feeling.
    Ping me later this winter
    Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Moment Chipotle Banana, but it won’t survive the groomer, it will destroy it on the way back incredible ski, imho. So stout, loose when you want it and locked in when want it that way. There is a thread on it here besides in the Moment thread.

Yes, moar CB stoke Renegades, Hojis, Volkl Ones belong on this list
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 11-11-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I've got an old pair of powder boards in 195 you could have for cheap. I'm in NC WA if you happen to be heading this way.
    Probably not, but depends on how cheap hah. Where's NC WA? I thought North Carolina Washington but I don't think that's right

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Surfy Pow Skis

For inbounds pow I love my Faction Candide 5.0's, flat rocker and 122mm waist (152-122-140). Mounted mine at -0.5 from Candide's rec of -4.35cm, so -4.85cm, with Pivots. Easy to throw sideways to kill speed. These were epic in super tight, super steep trees at Red last year.
    Had Rens which are good too. But Candide 5.0s better on groomers with their big, non-tapered tips that grip when you roll the ski on edge on groomers.

And cause I believe in overlap I just got some Bentchetler 120s with Shifts for sidecountry pow (will go -2 cm from rec mount on those at -4.9).

Pow skis are good!

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-11-2020 at 11:02 PM.

202 Lotus 138 in the crazy floppy rocker (R3.2?) is definitely the surfiest I've ever felt. My knee is kinda messed up and didn't like how the extreme rocker pivoted on 2D snow, but they sure surfed for me in a way no other ski ever has.

I'm now content with the 202 L138 in a previous rockered version that's flat underfoot and lower rocker in general.

edit: I've also skied Protests, Billy Goats, Renegades, Lotus 120, and 191 Lhasa Fats. IMO, none compare to the Lotus 138 for being surfy.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 11-11-2020 at 10:56 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Meeting your criteria, Protest. Super surfy that can carve if the groomers are soft. Albeit you are laying huge 40+meter carves but they are carves nonetheless and a hoot!
    My 191 Lhasa Fats are surfy, like surprisingly surfy for their shape. The new ones with tail rocker are even more so and easier to get loose. They also absolutely lay trenches in firm snow.
    I would kill to het both of them in a big steep face in AK to throw down some huge drifty turns.

Doesn’t get better than the Protest for what you seek. Don’t fix it if it ain’t broken. Never leave fish to go find fish.

Kuro.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    202 Lotus 138 in the crazy floppy rocker (R3.2?) is definitely the surfiest I've ever felt. My knee is kinda messed up and didn't like how the extreme rocker pivoted on 2D snow, but they sure surfed for me in a way no other ski ever has.

I'm now content with the 202 L138 in a previous rockered version that's flat underfoot and lower rocker in general.

edit: I've also skied Protests, Billy Goats, Renegades, Lotus 120, and 191 Lhasa Fats. IMO, none compare to the Lotus 138 for being surfy.
    Have you been on powder boards?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Moment Donner Party for me. BGs are loose and pivoty but don't have quite the same "surfiness"

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    1st gen Black Crows Nocta (circa 2011-2014, 146-125-140) with rocker-camber-rocker had way too good groomer performance for their purpouse. Heavy with today's standard ~2500 g per ski, but great performers.
    The more recent Noctas are also pretty great. No more camber so IMO it makes them even more surfy...

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen-Shot-2017-12-27-at-6.20.45-PM.jpeg 
Views:	159 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	347537

Owned spats, surfy? Absolutely. They are zero fun on groomers on the way back tho..Frightening at times. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Have you been on powder boards?
    No. Also haven't skied the DPS Spoon. But I'm pretty sure they're both worse on groomers.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos