Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world

Winter riding shoes...

anyone have experience with Fizik Artica X5 or Lake MX145 winter riding shoes? I am embarking on yet another quest to fix a footwear problem. I currently have Specialized Defrosters but for the life of me cannot get rid of ankle pain apparently caused by the neoprene cuff seam or the wrap. I have a wide-ish forefoot which causes fit problems as well. Heads up there may be a pair of Defrosters in gear swap soon. thanks.

For me it was between the 45nrth ragnaroks and shimano mw7s. I liked how the shimanos had the flap over the front and went with those. But yeah I notice they dig into my ankle a little. On the first ride it was uncomfortable but the last time I went out with them I didn't really notice so I guess they're breaking in.

Sizing on them is that they run big, i think by design to wear thicker socks. I'd say they went a little overboard but it's fine I guess, it's not like I'm doing sprints on the road when them. Point being you definitely do not want to size up on them.

Other thing is that yes they're gore-tex but I'm not sure how you keep water from coming in through the top. I feel like I'd need water resistant tights/leg warmers that go over the cuffs. I had them out on wet roads and some light rain and my socks just gradually got wetter starting at the top.

The good thing is that the are really warm. Went on a night mtb ride in them a few weeks ago, it wound up being 2.5 hours, 32f when I left the house and got down to 21 for a good portion, and my feet were comfy. I'd rate them as warmer than the 45nrth fasterkatts i had before these.
    Last edited by jamal; 11-11-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Lake makes many of their shoes in "wide" sizing, so that might help. I have the MXZ303, which I think is now been replaced in their line. Warm, fits me well enough - I bought a half size larger than summer bike shoes, so I can wear a thicker sock.

https://www.amazon.com/Lake-Cycling-.../dp/B07ZK13GDJ
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

So, a million years ago I started riding in winter and bought neoprene over boots/covers to go over my cycling shoes, and I still have them. They were $15 or something. They work really well, I don't have to worry about fit issues etc. Last winter I went on a few fat bike rides and they were almost too warm, as it was dry, (but very cold).
    Why not just get neoprene or whatever over shoes/covers?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    So, a million years ago I started riding in winter and bought neoprene over boots/covers to go over my cycling shoes, and I still have them. They were $15 or something. They work really well, I don't have to worry about fit issues etc. Last winter I went on a few fat bike rides and they were almost too warm, as it was dry, (but very cold).
    Why not just get neoprene or whatever over shoes/covers?
    I have some of those too. They work fine for warmth. Not great if you ever have to walk. A good choice for cold weather road riding though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Per Plug's post, just get these. Super easy to get on and off. In my experience they are warm down to around 20 deg.

https://www.planetbike.com/comet-cycling-shoe-covers/

Lots of similar brands of the same design. The key is the velcro (zipper suck)

That's what I do for my road shoes and it's been totally fine, especially as I'll usually not go out on my road bike when it's super cold. But they don't fit over my mtb shoes and I haven't bothered tracking down a set that do. Plus that metal cleat and pedal makes them not nearly as warm. I do need to find some for those more in-between and slightly damp days. Going out when it's 45 and your feet get a little wet in racey well ventilated mtb shoes isn't really comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I have some of those too. They work fine for warmth. Not great if you ever have to walk. A good choice for cold weather road riding though.
    Agree on the waking part. My wife’s have some sort of Kevlar/incredibly durable rough stuff on the bottom (that isn’t open to the cleat), and they seem to at least provide some traction.
    I just don’t walk much. I mean maybe i kick out and have to get around something I can’t clean and start up again, but that’s it.

They don't make them any more, but my 45nrth Japanthers are on their 3 winter and still look new. They're rated as a "shoulder season" shoe but I wear them in single digit temps and my feet are still very warm. It looks like the Ragnaroks replaced it and I'm sure that's just as good.

I use Shimano for trail shoes and 45nrth quality and durability is far superior.

Agree on the waking part. My wife’s have some sort of Kevlar/incredibly durable rough stuff on the bottom (that isn’t open to the cleat), and they seem to at least provide some traction.
    I just don’t walk much. I mean maybe i kick out and have to get around something I can’t clean and start up again, but that’s it.
    I've tried a couple different pair of the over boots Plug, I wish they worked as well for me. Never felt warm enough for me due to (I think) heat pouring out the bottom and crap circulation. Also possibly because the models I had let in too much water. I also rarely walk but have destroyed a pair from the occasional small hike a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    They don't make them any more, but my 45nrth Japanthers are on their 3 winter and still look new. They're rated as a "shoulder season" shoe but I wear them in single digit temps and my feet are still very warm. It looks like the Ragnaroks replaced it and I'm sure that's just as good.

I use Shimano for trail shoes and 45nrth quality and durability is far superior.
    Good to know thanks, I have no experience with 45North, I need to check if the Ragnaroks have any insulation. My toes get really cold... as mentioned above I think I have poor circulation. I've tried several shimano models in the past, never really clicked fit wise. I'm looking for something that will keep me comfy on 4+ hour trail/gravel/road rides in shitty cold-ish (upper 20s to mid upper 30s) PNW weather. Having a reliable waterproof membrane is important, while I know full downpours will soak your feet regardless of fancy shoes due to water running down your tights into the socks (unless you are in full waterproof pants pulled down over the ankle).

If it's below freezing w/ precip (SLC area) I'll run a wool ski sock in the shoe with a clapped out ski sock over the shoe, then a thermal water resistant overshoe. Yeah it's a process, but I get cold/block feet pretty easy and if sh*t gets really cold you can plop in heat packs between the outer sock and shoe with decent success. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191229_114442464_BURST000_COVER.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	347348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191116_170818171 (1).jpg 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	347350

Quote Originally Posted by ####### View Post
    If it's below freezing w/ precip (SLC area) I'll run a wool ski sock in the shoe with a clapped out ski sock over the shoe, then a thermal water resistant overshoe. Yeah it's a process, but I get cold/block feet pretty easy and if sh*t gets really cold you can plop in heat packs between the outer sock and shoe with decent success. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191229_114442464_BURST000_COVER.jpg 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	347348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191116_170818171 (1).jpg 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	347350
    how do you keep the corndogs warm

The mx145 shoes are marketed as 3 season, last I saw. I have the Lake mxz303 winter shoes and like them. I also have spec Defrosters which are slightly warmer but unfortunately too large for my size 12 feeet. Which reminds me, I gotta put the Defrosters in Gear Swap.

Yeah, mx 145 is a shoulder season boot (at least here in mn) I like mine down to mid 30’s, then 303s, eventually sorels

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    The mx145 shoes are marketed as 3 season, last I saw. I have the Lake mxz303 winter shoes and like them. I also have spec Defrosters which are slightly warmer but unfortunately too large for my size 12 feeet. Which reminds me, I gotta put the Defrosters in Gear Swap.
    What size are your Defrosters? Mine are wearing out and probably a size too small. Need a replacement, guessing yours are too big

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Winter riding shoes...

I ride everyday, year round. The Lake MXZ303 are far superior to any shoe cover combination, keeping your feet warm and most importantly, dry.

I have a used pair of 43 Wides (9)I can’t get the SPD cleats off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	347371

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	347372

Name:	IMG_0416.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	347373

$100 shipped via USPS US.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    What size are your Defrosters? Mine are wearing out and probably a size too small. Need a replacement, guessing yours are too big

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Size 47. Got maybe 30 miles of use on them.

had a 0Cel ride today in Squamish, a couple cm's of snow, also some big puddles, definitely on the chilly side of what I normally ride. The Shimano MW7 with sealskinz above the calf socks, and race face pants was golden and my feet stayed fully comfortable and warm for the entire ride...and that's a first in more than a few years for me, amazing what you'll tolerate for some reason, should've done that a lot sooner.

I’d you are riding in truly wet conditions I definitely recommend “waterproof” neoprene socks. They are like a wet suit for your foot, and you stay warm when wet. This has been my best upgrade for cold/wet conditions at freezing and up to 50F. They work in your flat pedal shoes as well where shoe covers don’t really work.

https://www.showerspass.com/products...oof-crew-socks

I keep hearing about waterproof shorts for wet winter mtbing but am a little skeptical of potential steamy-ness...

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Thanks. How do the Lakes compare to the defrosters for rideability, "performance"? I'm not fatbiking in frigid snow, more long training rides on xc trail, gravel, with lots of climbing etc. Defrosters don't feel "too" clunky, heavy to me. Of course more clunky, heavy than summer shoes but that's expected. Trying to figure out if the Lakes mxz303/4 would be about the same or worse than Defrosters. For anyone interested in Defrosters, if I figure out another solutions, mine are size 44/US10.5 and will head to Gear Swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I ride everyday, year round. The Lake MXZ303 are far superior to any shoe cover combination, keeping your feet warm and most importantly, dry.

I have a used pair of 43 Wides (9)I can’t get the SPD cleats off.
    Thanks for sharing. Too bad I'm at least a size bigger according to Lake site. Looks like I'd be a 44 wide on their chart (after tracing and measuring my feet). Are you full on hobbit feet or just a little wider than a normal foot? Curious how wide is wide from a fit standpoint. I wear Sidi Megas typically, which are quite wide, but I need that extra over a normal/narrow last and to accommodate footbeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I’d you are riding in truly wet conditions I definitely recommend “waterproof” neoprene socks. They are like a wet suit for your foot, and you stay warm when wet. This has been my best upgrade for cold/wet conditions at freezing and up to 50F. They work in your flat pedal shoes as well where shoe covers don’t really work.

https://www.showerspass.com/products...oof-crew-socks
    Yep, those socks are great. I wear those when I know its going to be really wet. When it gets into the low 40s, upper 30s is when I need some additional warmth.

My foot is slightly wide, D width and I wear 100mm Langes. If it’s really cold, single digits, I’ll be wearing pretty thick socks.

Chaka, I think my defrosters would match the rideability of the 303s if they were the right size. The Specialized shoe is very high quality and seems a bit warmer and well sealed, but the sole is a harder plastic and not as grippy for walking. The Lake 303 leather has a black coating that scuffs off easily—probably the biggest complaint from my friends who own them—but the fit is great and the outsole is nicely lugged.

How thick are these? When I feel sealskins at my local shop, they feel too thick for my foot/shoe combo. I ride regular old defeet, sock guy, PI, wool socks.

What about flat pedals, mostly dry and below freezing winter fat biking conditions? Using Sorels now which aren't bad, but something with a little more grip would be ideal.

How thick are these? When I feel sealskins at my local shop, they feel too thick for my foot/shoe combo. I ride regular old defeet, sock guy, PI, wool socks.
    the pair I have from a couple years back are quite thick... remind me of old school wool backpacking sock thick. And they are stiff, they can almost stand up by themselves stiff. But, if you have the room in the shoe, they work exceptionally well keeping dry in downpours, assuming you aren't also getting water running down your legs from your pants/tights.