Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    How thick are these? When I feel sealskins at my local shop, they feel too thick for my foot/shoe combo. I ride regular old defeet, sock guy, PI, wool socks.
    the pair I have from a couple years back are quite thick... remind me of old school wool backpacking sock thick. And they are stiff, they can almost stand up by themselves stiff. But, if you have the room in the shoe, they work exceptionally well keeping dry in downpours, assuming you aren't also getting water running down your legs from your pants/tights.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Chaka, I think my defrosters would match the rideability of the 303s if they were the right size. The Specialized shoe is very high quality and seems a bit warmer and well sealed, but the sole is a harder plastic and not as grippy for walking. The Lake 303 leather has a black coating that scuffs off easily—probably the biggest complaint from my friends who own them—but the fit is great and the outsole is nicely lugged.
    Weird. I have been riding 303s for a few years and don't have this issue.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Another Lake MXZ303 user here. Great shoe. Not super warm for me when you get into single digits but survivable. Especially when the snow gets too deep and you end up walking. I pair with neoprene socks which helps. If there's deep and/or loose snow something to go over the top of the shoe like extra long pants or micro-gaiters are pretty nice to keep the snow off of/out of the top of the shoe. The standard Lake's run real wide and these are even more generously sized, plus they have a wide option for really fat feet. They're way too wide for my narrow feet but fine for winter riding with a thicker sock, allow for better circulation. Overall I recommend the shoes and Lake's are well known to last forever.

45North have some options for true sub-zero extended adventures if that's what you're looking for. Popular on the Iditabike.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I have some of those too. They work fine for warmth. Not great if you ever have to walk. A good choice for cold weather road riding though.
    Agree on the walking aspect of shoe covers. I've run many toe covers and full shoe covers over the years. They just don't hold up to off road use for me. Plus they're a pain in the ass to put on. Also gotta make real sure your shoes aren't too tight, like a bit loose, so you don't cut off the top of the foot circulation. This is true for any cold weather riding or activity but especially important when you're pulling a tight shoe cover over a tight XC-style shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    That's what I do for my road shoes and it's been totally fine, especially as I'll usually not go out on my road bike when it's super cold. But they don't fit over my mtb shoes and I haven't bothered tracking down a set that do. Plus that metal cleat and pedal makes them not nearly as warm. I do need to find some for those more in-between and slightly damp days. Going out when it's 45 and your feet get a little wet in racey well ventilated mtb shoes isn't really comfortable.
    For shoulder season I usually just run a *slightly* thicker sock and put sandwich bags over my toes. Keeps the wind out and acts as a vapor barrier to reduce evaporative cooling. Works surprisingly well.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I do need to find some for those more in-between and slightly damp days. Going out when it's 45 and your feet get a little wet in racey well ventilated mtb shoes isn't really comfortable.
    I aquaseal'd a pair of shoes for exactly this. Racing CX means no shoe covers, but running through mud quickly leads to cold toes as the breeze blows through. Not enough to be a full on winter shoe, but certainly more comfortable on chilly and wet mountain bike / gravel rides.

Selling my near-new Defrosters: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...68#post6131368

Once you’ve owned a pair of shoes like this it’s hard to go back. NSMB.com had a review (May have been the defrosters, which are lighter than the 303s I think) describing how he started wearing them on any damp and cool day, not just those sub-35 F days.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Selling my near-new Defrosters: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...68#post6131368

Once you’ve owned a pair of shoes like this it’s hard to go back. NSMB.com had a review (May have been the defrosters, which are lighter than the 303s I think) describing how he started wearing them on any damp and cool day, not just those sub-35 F days.
    100% agree with Frorider... even with my fit issues, once you ride in a proper pair of winter shoes, you will find yourself reaching for them all the time when the weather is dodgy. It was a 'why the fuck did I wait/suffer so long' moment for me a few years back.

Pics of the scuffing on my 303s...first pic shows the scuffing from your fingernail near the Boa wheel:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB013336-FF97-4186-BAD3-7FFE8FE6A752.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	555.9 KB 
ID:	348045

Second pic shoes the marks from light use (no hike a biking):

Name:	D42CDCFE-D757-4135-AA82-8E29C0FE7029.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	622.0 KB 
ID:	348046

Not a deal breaker for me, since I like the fit and the sole grip so much.

Speaking of fit, if you comb thru the reviews the fit of the regular 303 is generally considered narrow—as you’d expect from Lake in general. In fact some people upsize the 303 to compensate. Fortunately Lake offers Wide versions in many sizes...though even those aren’t considered especially wide by reviewers. All this correlates well with my experience.

@Fro I agree on your width comments based on me tracing and measuring my feet and comparing to their published width and length sizing charts: https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts. I'm a D+ street shoe width, and fit a 98 last Hawx ltd with a little punching in 6th toe area, so a little wide not crazy wide. My trace lines up very well with Lake's "Wide" sizing, so its not crazy wide at all (at least from width measurement).

I found that I had mixed success with even being able to get winter shoes on. I had success with Defrosters, Wolvhammers, and Scott Heaters.

but not with the original Bontrager OMW, Diadora (or was it Northwave). Something to keep in mind.

It's just so nice to be able to quickly slide my feet into my Defrosters and not have to fuss with shoe covers, not to mention having to adjust the shoe covers every time I have to get off and walk. I've even put the shoe covers on top for those extra cold days (where Wolvhammers wouldn't be overkill).

Showers Pass waterproof socks. Work with normal 5.10s or whatever down into the upper 30s in really wet conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    How thick are these? When I feel sealskins at my local shop, they feel too thick for my foot/shoe combo. I ride regular old defeet, sock guy, PI, wool socks.
    They are much thicker than summer socks, but I still wear them comfortably in my flat pedals shoes and stiff carbon xc race clipless shoes. If your shoes are as tight as humanly possible with summer socks maybe it would be an issue, but it's not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    the pair I have from a couple years back are quite thick... remind me of old school wool backpacking sock thick. And they are stiff, they can almost stand up by themselves stiff. But, if you have the room in the shoe, they work exceptionally well keeping dry in downpours, assuming you aren't also getting water running down your legs from your pants/tights.
    I would actually say they still work if water is running down your legs. I don't find that they keep my feet dry exactly - more that my feet stay warm even when damp - much more so that with thick wool socks.

thanks for everyone's inputs. I picked up a pair of Lake MXZ304 wides. Sized per Lake's directions with a foot template. Appears to be a very well engineered piece of footwear! Better be for the price. For those that have the 303/304s... Does the leather around the ankles break in at all? They feel great walking around the house, except for just a little bit of pressure over the insides of my ankles.

updating this thread with some initial impressions on the Lake MXZ304s. I have two rides totaling about 7 hours on them now. I'm impressed. No extreme conditions tested yet but they are comfortable for several hours in mid to upper 30s temps with lightweight socks. They fit me better than the defrosters, I had issues with the defroster's neoprene collar wrap creating a pressure point on my ankles. That is almost entirely gone with Lake's design, however I still notice some pressure on the ankle bone, likely due to one of the boa strings pulling right on top of the ankle bone. Its not a hot spot, just noticeable, and will likely become less noticeable as the fit breaks in more. They appear to be really well made and thought out. It appears the boa system is intentionally designed to not allow you to overtighten the forefoot area, to allow/promote better circulation. This felt weird at first as I'm used to ratcheting the shit out of my stiff summer race shoes out of habit. My foot is plenty secure in the Lakes, no heel lift, and I can freely wiggle my toes which surprise helps circulation. I followed their sizing instructions, carefully tracing my feet etc ended up with size 44 Wide, I wear a 27.5 shell, 10.5 street shoe for reference. I would not go a half size in either direction, feels like I got the right size. My only ding on them so far is they are a little heavier/bulkier than the defrosters, but this is minor. Very light scuffing from brushing the crank arms, but that is to be expected for me as my foot rotates a bit through the stroke due to some minor knee alignment issues. So I'll give the Lake MKZ304s about an 8.5/10.

Now that you mention it, Yes the 303s ankle area broke in and got more flexible after some use.

I have a few more rides on the shimano MW7s and am pretty happy with them. Was out for over 4 hours the other day, saw a low temp of 24, and had comfy feet the whole time. Thinking about trying to figure out a mini-gaitor or something that wraps around my ankle that goes under the tight/leg warmer and over the neoprene cuff. You can feel that little gap and also it would probably prevent some water from getting in the shoe when it's wet.

Name:	IMG_20201125_162055038.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	492.0 KB 
ID:	350700
    Last edited by jamal; 12-01-2020 at 06:01 PM.

I have a few more rides on the shimano MW7s and am pretty happy with them. Was out for over 4 hours the other day with a low of 24 and comfy feet the whole time. Thinking about trying to figure out a mini-gaitor or something that wraps around my ankle that goes under the tight/leg warmer and over the neoprene cuff. You can feel that little gap and also it would probably prevent some water from getting in the shoe when it's wet.

Name:	IMG_20201125_162055038.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	492.0 KB 
ID:	350700
    Maybe this. VeloToze cuff

I got a fatbike Spring 2020 and am just now getting stoked to ride some snowy trails. I've seen a couple people post about 45Nrth boots. I've been eyeing the Wolvhammer. Have people had good experience with those? I'm not sure if I'd go clipless right away, do they have good grip on flat pedals?

Also, thoughts on pogies and best brands/models? I know its a little off topic, but I've got the attention of the cold-weather riders here...

Winter riding shoes...

Bumping this thread, I still use my neoprene over booties, but I ride so much that I think I might want to blow some money, as pulling those things on every time I ride is a pain.
    I found some Northwave x-Celsius arctic gtx on sale. Anybody have any experience?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Can't comment on those but I've been digging flat pedals with some Etnies winter skate shoes. I don't ride a ton in the winter so it is nice to also have something that is also useful for throwing on to take the dog for a walk or whatever.

Winter riding shoes...

My $0.02 is that I will never again use a winter over boot as long as I live!

I bought a bunch of years ago some winter boots, Diadora I think. They’re no where near as comfy or stiff as my summer riding shoes, but feet are warm and dry w/o messing with the neoprene covers.

Depending on temperatures I find a thicker sock works for my Shimano AM7s pretty well down to mid 30s as do my 5-10 free rides on flat pedals. So unless on the road/gravel or really cold on the MTB the less ventilation of gravity shoes does pretty well for me when it’s not quite time for full winter boots.

My lowest temps I’m willing to go outside is around 10-15* though. So YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone is looking for winter shoes I’m selling a couple pair. Specialized Defroster (39s I think) and 45nrth Japanthers (46 ). Wifey and I just use flats and winter boots more…pm me for pics and prices.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwaterbird View Post
    If anyone is looking for winter shoes I’m selling a couple pair. Specialized Defroster (39s I think) and 45nrth Japanthers (46 ). Wifey and I just use flats and winter boots more…pm me for pics and prices.
    Edit for size-defrosters are 41s.