Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How to needlessly spend $ for enduro prep?

That’s not that much further up than what I’d consider normal on flats. I wonder if a softer soled shoe would help, allowing you to move your foot back a bit and better wrap your forefoot around the front of the pedal for support?
    Last edited by bagtagley; 11-13-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I can't remember the name, but there's a flat pedal brand out there that uses a much more rectangular shape. That might help you drive through your heel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I can't remember the name, but there's a flat pedal brand out there that uses a much more rectangular shape. That might help you drive through your heel better.
    These?

https://pedalinginnovations.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Interesting...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Yeah, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Nice! I also heard there's a bike park incoming? Was bummed when the Abrams enduro was cancelled, was looking forward to doing something close to home.

I ride an Offering now! 140 in the back. Just barely enough to qualify for full enduro.

Just trying to get top 10 amateur class for the 30 y/o's. Best I've done after bc skiing for the winter, doing some inconsistent interval work on the road bike in the spring/summer, and riding like normal is 12th I think. Last race I did the non-pedaly stuff I did better (maybe 11th in the stage), pedally stuff I fell back in the pack (more like 16th). so IMO I do think getting in better pedaling shape (and practicing pedaling in the jank) will make a big diff. If it's steep and rowdy, unless it's wet, I feel more in my element. Could definitely see making an effort to get out on the road bike as soon as the roads are dry-ish sometime in March, if they are, and then riding consistently (b/c I tend not to) would help a ton.

For those of y'all curious, this is generally what my foot situation looks like (from the Thunder enduro last year): https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/4601141
    I guess my point isn't that fitness doesn't matter, it's that you'll get the fitness you need just by riding your mountain bike and pushing hard. If you practice by riding technical trails at race pace, that's basically interval training. Sprint all the little climbs, and don't rest at the top - roll into the tech sections with your heart rate pegged, because that's how it is in a race.

I've had plenty of friends go through the exact same thought process as you. The ones that put more time on the road bike got a bit more fit, and their race results got worse, presumably because they were spending less time on their mountain bikes for only a marginal gain in fitness. Gaining 3 seconds on that pedally bit is great, but not when it means you've forgotten how to corner and blow off trail on every stage.

For those of us that don't ride bikes for a living, 2 wheel time is a finite resource. For enduro or downhill racing, I think spending all of your limited riding time riding the types of trails that you're trying to be fast on makes the most sense (and put in the effort to gain fitness while you're doing that).

As far as pedals go, I'd say stick with flats and get a better pedal. Off the cuff ideas:
    1. Deity TMAC. Significantly better than other main stream "big" flats I've been on.
    2. TAG Metals T1 Large Pedal. 115x120. They are massive. Buddy of mine just bought a bike that came with a pair of these. He'd previously been on TMACs and said the TAG pedal is "almost" too big. But he doesn't have neuro deficits in his feet either.

As far as being bummed that you're mid pack: Seriously dude, you're obviously coming from a hudge step behind the rest of the 30 year olds. Good on you for putting it out there. Have fun, work on consistency rather than burning yourself out trying to move up a few spots. That's a super competitive field.
    However many are in a shit ton.

On the fitness front I’m just gonna be a the shit out of that dead horse that riding a road bike in the spring is too late to make a big difference for summer fitness. Just like weight lifting, large bike fitness gains take months of hard work. So if you really want to go for it you’d be in the gym lifting right now + on the trainer, then you’d spend the middle of winter on the trainer. All of which would be following a real training plan. Then when you can ride outside do what toast said and do your highest intensity intervals on the terrain you’ll be racing right before race season begins.

(I’m not saying you should do all that, just saying if fitness is the goal it’s a fuck ton of work and you better get going quick if it’s a priority)

I've been on top of too many podiums to count at this point, but titanium derailleur pulleys and throw one of these on during the winter

I blister too easy for any type of actual training

I suggest plenty of cornering drills. You can never hit a corner hard enough or accellerate fast enough out of it

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Dunfee, you should get yourself a pair of these to try. I have a friends wife with some foot issues that uses them and they were game changers for her as far as foot pain and biomechanics go. If they don't work there is enough people into them you will be able to resell them.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

This needs more traction.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    I've been on top of too many podiums to count at this point, but titanium derailleur pulleys and throw one of these on during the winter

I blister too easy for any type of actual training
    And I would add lots and lots of Twinkies. Bicycling magazine once called them the best gas-station power food for cyclists, so...

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    And I would add lots and lots of Twinkies. Bicycling magazine once called them the best gas-station power food for cyclists, so...
    I was always under the impression that fritos were the best pick. Fat + electrolytes + high calorie to volume ratio. And you can crumble them up and eat them with a squirt from the water bottle to make a frito energy slurry.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    a really bad idea, strengthen your feet

i seen a guy riding his e-bike with heels on the pedals, he was just moving the peddles so the motor would run and it looked really fucking stupid
    I don't know about heels on the pedals, but i ride with my arch above the pedal shaft, it then better said, the tibia, and it's great.

Much better power.

You don't squat on the balls of your feet!??

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk