TR - Night mission hike on PCT

So I went for a pretty cool hike weekend before last. Night mission.

With Covid, fires and forest closures this year I’d have to be creative to do my annual PCT backpack. Dispersed and backcountry camping are currently prohibited in all Socal national forests. But I noticed a full moon was coming up, and figured if I hiked through the night then it isn’t camping if you don’t stop to set up camp. Temps looked good and I had a reasonable route picked out that looked mostly doable in one push. Thought I might need a nap around sunrise which would make the route doable. The route would be PCT from Fuller Ridge above Idyllwild and Palm Springs, south to Fobes Saddle.

Headed up mid afternoon and dropped the moto at the end of the hike on Fobes Ranch Rd. The drove up Black Mtn Rd to Fuller Ridge. Had a nap, caught an awesome sunset and at my burrito.

The full moon was almost as spectacular as the sunset

With the full moon no lights were needed for much of the hike, pic taken using Pixel phone night sight

Fuller ridge is a pretty nice hike. I recalled it being overgrown but didn’t seem like it going up. I wasn’t going super fast so it took around 3 hrs to get to the trail intersection at the top of the ridge. Trail got real nice from there, like a dirt sidewalk

Uneventful hike around past Strawberry trail camp and intersections for Marion Mtn, Deer Springs and Seven Pines trails that climb up from Idyllwild. Night view of Idyllwild and Tahquitz Peak from PCT above Suicide Rock:

I passed Junction Saddle around 330am and thought I’d seen headlamps on the trail below, heading for San Jacinto summit for sunrise. Starting to see hints of first light as I reach the corner to turn south around Red Tahquitz peak

I’ve seen sunrise here a few times, it is always spectacular

Looking down the desert divide towards the Santa Rosa mountains, Salton Sea in the distance

This area burned in 2013 and 2018, leaving some lonely snags

The sun finally makes an appearance

I love how the trail traverses the spine of the ridge here. So rugged, with amazing views off each side

Morning golden hour

The rockfall below Antsell Rock is still there. Still sketchy to pass, even with the climbing rope someone installed

Rare patch of trees further south

After a number of miles peppered with downed trees and overgrowth, the trail gets nice again towards the end for me at Fobes Saddle.

The final miles took longer than I thought as the trail seemed to stretch on and on with some extra climbs that didn’t seem to register much in the elevation profile.

Finally hit Fobes Saddle around 1030 as it was starting to warm up, and then it was a quick drop down to the moto. Felt good the whole time, never even felt tired until I got home. Feet felt good, knee was bugging me a bit the last 6-8 miles but not terrible.

This was a pretty rad way to do the hike. I barely needed lights even under heavy tree cover I could pretty much see the trail. Turned lights on for descents mostly so I wouldn’t twist an ankle. Temps were great, the only time it felt cold was when I had some wind exposure up on Fuller Ridge, otherwise it felt like shorts and t-shirt weather, mid to upper 50s which is not bad for 8-9k elevation in November. I’ll definitely be doing something like this again at some point.

Stats 24.9mi, +4100/-6,800ft. Time around 15 hrs.

I feel like I get out there but man, you do some cool shit. Thanks for putting these out there.

i could feel the warmth of that sunrise. thanks for sharing.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Classy way to work around the closure! Those sunrise pics are $$, there nothing quite like the feeling of watching your surroundings slowly emerge outside of the little bubble of headlamp light...
    Your post makes me want to put together a mini-TR of some of the dumb hikes I did in the Uintas this summer when I couldn't ride.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Do it!

I've taken my bike for a few walks in the Uintas. Cool place. Interested to see what you got up to!

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ghlight=uintas

Good stuff. Thanks.

Great post, I love that section. I used to live in Idyllwild and helped rebuild that trail after the 2013 fire. This time of year is so perfect up there, I'd be trying to move back except I got hooked on skiing

Approve

Very cool hike and beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing!

Love that view of the Salton Sea!

awesome photos! Nice work on the timing too, because now covered in snow.

very cool photos. gloomy at first, and then warm. I felt the whole range of emotions. cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Idyllwild View Post
    Approve
    Username checks out!

Gorgeous photos! Thank you for sharing.
    Shake it, shake it Sugaree...