Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stetina just set a new White Rim 1 day record

5:28. Good lord. That's pretty damn fast for that 100 miles.

https://www.velonews.com/news/mounta...rim-trail-fkt/

So averaging like 18 mph? Fuck.

Woah. He sounds like a cool dude too. I've done 3 100 mile races, and it hurts a lot, and I'm slooooooow. But unsupported ? wow
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Completely insane.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Woah. He sounds like a cool dude too. I've done 3 100 mile races, and it hurts a lot, and I'm slooooooow. But unsupported ? wow
    You stash water ahead of time in various places, but yeah, mostly you just hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And there are a number of serious climbs, one that is a complete bear climbing back up the Island in the Sky, another about halfway, and then a bunch of little grunts. Some of which are quite steep. Plus there is sand. That time is stupid fast.

You stash water ahead of time in various places, but yeah, mostly you just hammer.
    I was wondering, I haven't watched the video yet.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    having done many dirt 100s I can't even wrap my head around that time. wow.

was thinking of attempting this early december. all these fkts offer no reference for what my experience might be like. anyone here done it in a day?
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Didn't Kurt just beat Lachlan's Koko record too?
    Yeah, and Kate cleaned up for the women as well. Fast people doing fast things.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    was thinking of attempting this early december. all these fkts offer no reference for what my experience might be like. anyone here done it in a day?
    I mean, have you done other 100 milers?

not on dirt. i've done 7 hours mtb rides though. i have a hardtail with tons of zits so i should be good, no?

more wondering how bad the road could be in december. might be risky. my buddy wants to do it on his fatbike, im trying to convince him to get some aero bars like Stetina's rig.

I have no specifics to the rim trail other than sand sucks.
    That said, for me it was miles and miles on the mt. bike on dirt. Nothing compares, really. When I was training for these, I could knock off 75 miles on my road bike for kicks, (meaning no preparation). I did supported centuries in the months preceding to stave off boredom.
    How far did you go in 7 hours? My 100's were at Leadville and the Creampuff which you should research, and my fastest was 11:37, (and that had aid stations).
    Absolute no on the fat bike, you want as little rotational mass as possible.

Riding partner and I just did Kokopelli in 2 days (Moab to Dewey, Dewey to Loma) to recon for a 1-day in the spring.
    Day 1: 64 miles / 9,400ft. 7 hours (https://www.strava.com/activities/4178301705) (Unfortunately about 15min of stopping time at the beginning to take a phone call from the car-shuttle service).
    Day 2: 74 miles / 5,400ft 7 hours (https://www.strava.com/activities/4183134249)

1. Biggest issue is carrying enough water. I believe that technically for an FKT you cannot drop ahead of time. For you, me,
    and the other schmoe's; restocks can be key. I carried almost 5L for each day and we still begged water off the OHVer's on day 1. White Rim is short enough time that you can likely carry, but Kokopelli you'd have to filter.

2. Next biggest issue to success is getting in enough calories. I was averaging 400+ per hour, but I brought more so that I'd have a variety of what I felt like eating.

3. Third is course management. Nailing Start and End times so that you're not riding technical sections in the dark / climbing in the heat of the day / etc. For Koko this means starting early and riding Sand Flats road / major climbs in the dark. Figuring out which way the wind blows, how much daylight you have, where mud makes things impassable or sand miserable and the best days / times of year to balance everything.

In regard to experience: Expect highs and low. At times it's going to be beautiful, at times it won't matter because you're struggling. At times the riding will be fun, others not so much. For me I'm typically great through halfway. Then it's a slow downward spiral to 3/4s of the ride, with my spirits lifting from there to the finish.

I think these types of rides are different from other long-rides with friends where you're taking it easy and stopping etc. The week prior I did 5 hours on our enduro bikes with friends on Kenosha (36 miles, 6k ft) and it felt much harder because my mindset with "having fun with the boys". https://www.strava.com/activities/4135147505

If anything Kokopelli was "easier" because I had a purpose. Every choice we made was around moving forward; faster. We only stopped when necessary (Need to go through a gate, might as well pee and eat too!) and basically just kept the hammer (moderately) down the entire time. It was refreshingly simplistic.

I've done White Rim around 10 times, but all in three days. I've done 24 hours on dirt solo, but it was much more technical. I've done centuries on pavement. I have friends and ex-teammates who have done it in a day. So with that background to help you decide if I'm full of shit or not, here's what I know.

A big chunk of this is essentially dirt road. I think he did it counterclockwise, which is the way I've always done it. First maybe 25 miles are fast as shit and either rolling or downhill. The first 10 or so miles are pavement, actually. Then the dirt, and when you dip down for arroyos it gets sandy. Gotta power through. Frankly, I would never, ever, ever do it in a day on a fatbike.

So then you drop down to the river, off the plateau, and it gets sandy. Big tires help. If you are doing it for speed keeping your power high in the sand is critical. Lots is flat through here but again, lots of up and down in between flat sections. If I remember right it starts to get hillier and there are a few climbs. At about halfway there is a big steep climb up to the overlook and a camping area, then a downhill back off that actually gets kinda technical if you are bombing it due to exposure. Then more sand and rolling terrain. Then long flatish sinewy dirt road on which you can absolutely haul. Gets a little hazy for me at this point, but it's good road, though very shelf-rocky from this point up to the bottom of Shafer, which is the big climb out, which SUCKS if you are going for a time. Like sucks, sucks. You can crank on it if you get into a rhythm but you will be shelled by then.

Usually guys would leave water/food at at least the midpoint, and often at quarter points. 8 hours is a decent time for someone is quite good shape but is not turning themselves inside out, if I remember correctly.

Personally, I have no interest in doing this on a hardtail. My ass would hurt too much form the constant mini shelves. But most of that is the next day, so maybe who cares? Also keep in mind it can snow in Moab in December. My lovely wife once got caught be a snowstorm in Dec there and it wasn't awesome where she was with her tent. I can't remember if there is cell service on most of it or not, so I don't know if you can call for a pickup if you have to cry uncle or run out of daylight. I know someone that took 12 hours to do it, and in Dec if you take that long you can get caught in the dark. And the desert is cold at night in the winter. Also, if you get a high wind day it can be very tough.

Feel free to ask questions if there's more you want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    In regard to experience: Expect highs and low. At times it's going to be beautiful, at times it won't matter because you're struggling. At times the riding will be fun, others not so much. For me I'm typically great through halfway. Then it's a slow downward spiral to 3/4s of the ride, with my spirits lifting from there to the finish.
    This is so true. I did 24 hours in the Sage solo while I had the flu. That was pretty fucking stupid, but I experienced pretty much every human emotion every hour...

I had a few friends that would do it every year. But they had different goals. They had friends with motorcycles meet them every ten miles with cold beers, a 12 pack for the day. There might also have been mushrooms and whatnot involved. Seems like a good way to have a preme every 45 minutes or so...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

thanks for all the info everyone. aiming for 8 hours, counter-clockwise and keeping her within daylight with some buffer. my bud is deadset on his fatty but he's a jackmo lunatic and beyond fit. he thinks he can average 13 on it but we'll learn more over the next month.

I'm having flashbacks. This is good:
    At times the riding will be fun, others not so much. For me I'm typically great through halfway. Then it's a slow downward spiral to 3/4s of the ride, with my spirits lifting from there to the finish.
    No on hardtail, you want to pedal through the bumpy shit. Or not. The dude in the vid did it on his gravel bike and couldn't walk afterwards, but OK.

my bud is deadset on his fatty but he's a jackmo lunatic
    Please report back with stories.

He went way to fast to enjoy the view

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I did, several years back. I was maybe 45 on a 29er HT and my buddy 40? Anyway, we cached water a ways down toward the Visitor's Center, then drove and camped at Mineral Bottom just outside the park. Got up early, rode CW and got the biggest climb and endless grade out of the way first w/o having to carry much water on us. Easy pace, enjoying the day, taking a brief stretch every hour, we finished in 11 hours. That sub-6 time is crazy fast, but even were I capable, it just seems like racing WRT is a sure way to suck the fun right out of it. Different strokes, I guess. But anyway, as 100 milers go (108 if you skip the cutoff) it's an easy one.

IIRC, there is cell service on some of the second half if you're running CCW, none on the first half.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

not that anyone was holding their breath, but the hard tail, rattle death white rim TR will have to wait a couple more months for COVID to get better or worse here in utar. hopefully it will be blower game march/april and it will be the last thing on my mind.

Has anyone broke the news to Nobis?