Material or thoughts for Feb TAR?

Hello Friends of The Avalanche Review! How many of you watched the VSSW or any of the SAWs this fall? Did you see a talk that you want us to explore at TAR?

I am looking for science-related topics (or case studies, or...???) for the Feb TAR, 39.3. Reach out to me with tips or ideas at avalanche.review@avalanche.org. Or post them up in this thread please.

Illustration that will be in the Dec TAR from @cydwhit for your entertainment:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tar3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	775.6 KB 
ID:	347139

VSSW:
    I continue to discuss Probability/Likelihood with colleagues and touring partners. How are we using the same words but with widely varying definitions and meanings? Jamieson's (et al) presentation was interesting. It's also a good follow up to one of the TARs from last year.

CSAW
    Birkland and van Herwijnen's "Hunting Whumpfs" was sciency and interesting!
    I really dug Statham's ATES update, but not necessarily science-y

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    VSSW:
    I continue to discuss Probability/Likelihood with colleagues and touring partners. How are we using the same words but with widely varying definitions and meanings? Jamieson's (et al) presentation was interesting. It's also a good follow up to one of the TARs from last year.

CSAW
    Birkland and van Herwijnen's "Hunting Whumpfs" was sciency and interesting!
    I really dug Statham's ATES update, but not necessarily science-y
    Thanks. I have an email in to Bruce Jamieson about the Whumpfs material. He was session co-chair so I am hoping he will introduce and explain it all for us.

More probability conversation, eh? I am a little sick of it after putting together that previous TAR. But Jamieson is always worth his weight. Have you looked at his video library yet? http://www.snowline.ca

And I'll have a look at the ATES piece. Grant Statham always does such a good job with theory AND how we use it in practice. We are using the original ATES in all our Rec avy classes- interesting to see his updates.

Thanks again, gnarbro365.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Thanks. I have an email in to Bruce Jamieson about the Whumpfs material. He was session co-chair so I am hoping he will introduce and explain it all for us.

More probability conversation, eh? I am a little sick of it after putting together that previous TAR. But Jamieson is always worth his weight. Have you looked at his video library yet? http://www.snowline.ca

And I'll have a look at the ATES piece. Grant Statham always does such a good job with theory AND how we use it in practice. We are using the original ATES in all our Rec avy classes- interesting to see his updates.

Thanks again, gnarbro365.
    Haha, understandable. When COVID shut things down some of my partners started a virtual "book club" discussing TAR pieces, along with other avalanche based research and literature. We spent a couple of solid hours one week on the probability/likelihood article last year. We revisited it after VSSW. I'm a little fatigued as well, but it seems like a basic concept that needs to be nailed down. Thanks for the link! I'll be sure to share it with my LIKELY exhausted book club group.

That is great you use ATES in your courses. It seems a bit more applicable in places where it set standards and regulations for the industry, but I can also see its use for the general population. I've been a fan for a while. The updates, including expanding the range and removing mentions of glaciation, make sense. and Listening to him talk about their thought process of version 2.0 was so interesting to me. His CSAW presentation was fantastic.

Thanks for your work. Such a fantastic resource and the publication continues to get better and betterr.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Haha, understandable. When COVID shut things down some of my partners started a virtual "book club" discussing TAR pieces, along with other avalanche based research and literature. We spent a couple of solid hours one week on the probability/likelihood article last year. We revisited it after VSSW. I'm a little fatigued as well, but it seems like a basic concept that needs to be nailed down. Thanks for the link! I'll be sure to share it with my LIKELY exhausted book club group.

That is great you use ATES in your courses. It seems a bit more applicable in places where it set standards and regulations for the industry, but I can also see its use for the general population. I've been a fan for a while. The updates, including expanding the range and removing mentions of glaciation, make sense. and Listening to him talk about their thought process of version 2.0 was so interesting to me. His CSAW presentation was fantastic.

Thanks for your work. Such a fantastic resource and the publication continues to get better and betterr.
    Arright so you knew this was coming, I bet.

I am both flattered and curious about your virtual book club. Wondering if you'll write me a short piece for What's New on how you do it/ what got you all started/ and what kind of conclusions you've come to? It might OUT you from the TGR handle, though.

In TAR I love to get people thinking and talking about our material, and my touchstone for theory is How does this apply to Practice? A virtual book club does this for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Arright so you knew this was coming, I bet.

I am both flattered and curious about your virtual book club. Wondering if you'll write me a short piece for What's New on how you do it/ what got you all started/ and what kind of conclusions you've come to? It might OUT you from the TGR handle, though.

In TAR I love to get people thinking and talking about our material, and my touchstone for theory is How does this apply to Practice? A virtual book club does this for sure.
    Incoming PM...

I just popped in (to see what condition my condition is in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meJP410N9Gg) to post the cover for the Dec TAR, which we just sent to the printer yesterday. Woo hoo!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAR_39-2_Cover.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	348520

^^^Look forward to reading it!

Wow. Strong work.