Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ski Trip Quivers: 1, 2, 3 pairs of skis, what are you bringing

You are going on a trip, you are flying, so you can’t load your Toyota Tercell up with your 24 ski quiver. Where are you going? What skis, what bindings, and what boot(s) you are bringing? And why?

I’ll start:

Breckinridge, meeting my family for their yearly trip out west. Little bit of teaching 3 and 5 year olds to ski, little bit of cruising groomers with my mom, right up to t-bar laps with my uncle.

Bindings will all new Look Pivot 18s, old reliable. Fat skis may have CAST so I can get some exercise in before or after the lifts spin, but this is family time.

Boots will be Head Raptor 140RSs for everything because we won’t be touring or hiking much. They have CAST tech toe inserts, so I’m covers for an inbounds skinning lap if I want to.

1 ski only, I’m going with old faithful, the 194 cm Kaestle MX 98, my go to every day ski for going on 6 years now. Is it the best for teaching kids, nope, is it the best for t-bar laps, nope, but it does everything pretty darn well.

2 skis, this takes a bit of looking at the forecast the day before I leave. If it looks dry, I’ll stick with the 194 cm Kaestle MX 98, and toss in the Blizzard Rustler 9s. The MX 98s for the same reason as before, it’s just good. The R9s get tossed in because they are fine on groomers with mom, easy to get around to pick kids up, and still enough ski for the bowls. I can even toss in a small or medium jump lap if I’m feeling frisky. If snow is in the forecast, I’m probably grabbing my 187 Blizzard Brahmas to have a groomer zoomer ski that can handle just about anything else thrown at it. Second ski I’m probably grabbing the Rossi Sender Squads. I haven’t skied them yet, but they look and feel like they are going to be money. I think they will be fine on low snow days as well as deep days, so I wont be missing my MX 98s.

3 skis, I thought this would be hard but it’s actually pretty easy. I’m grabbing the 194 Kaestle MX 98, same reasons as above, it and I just do well together. The Rustler 9 comes next, same reasons as with the two ski quiver. Third spot is weather dependent, if it’s going to be dry, I’m packing my Head World Cup Raptor i.speed Pro skis. Can’t think of a better place to rip GS turns all day long. If their is snow in the forecast I’m grabbing my other old faithful, the 193 Volkl Shiro. Can’t go wrong here. It bashes, it floats, it lets me double when I want to, it even carves on the way home.

What do you have? Where are you going? Jackson? Squaw? Interior BC Powder Highway? Japow? Cham? AK?

If you get the Toyota Tercel comment, 10 points for you and next time you see the wild one say hi and chat for a bit. He’s one of the goats in the ski bum world.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by skibrd; 11-10-2020 at 02:03 AM.

I am in Breck. I'd bring the sender squads and the Kastle's. Even if it doesn't snow much you could get big wind blow days up in the bowls, particularly in the Whale's Tail. The Rossi's would be fun to ski there.

well if I'm flying to ski, it's overseas, which means it's probably europe, south america or japan... so either my Black Crows Solis / ATK Trofeo / ZGTP for the first two or, if it's japan, I'm buying some new powder sticks, and putting my extra pair of Trofeos on them and skiing them with my ZGTPs still.

for the first time in as long as I can remember though I'm very content with something (Solis) as a 1-ski quiver (though I still have 3 or 4 setups)

I have horrible FOBO....out of sight/out of mind.

So I believe in.....any trip anywhere......1 ski....Katana.

Deal with conditions....

the only way i'd take 3 sets of skis on a trip is if i'm driving from home in my own vehicle

182 Woodsman 96 with Pivots and 188 Rustler 11 with Shifts
    XT3 boots.
    Yeah, sucks to tour with the shifts but I can.

unless I'm traveling to tour in which case the right pair of zeroGs

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I am in Breck. I'd bring the sender squads and the Kastle's. Even if it doesn't snow much you could get big wind blow days up in the bowls, particularly in the Whale's Tail. The Rossi's would be fun to ski there.
    Good thing I actually drove to Breck and don’t have to choose I bring as much as I want and just leave them in the back of the truck. I’m really excited about the BOSSs. If I make it down that way this year, let’s meet up for a lap!

Opposite ends. 192 GPO w cast, Dynastar SL FIS 165

I rip the groomed on tele gear

If I have to take three skis at gunpoint they are:

186cm Mordecai 114
    179cm Sick Day 110
    186cm Supernatural 92

I can deal with anything with those. Yes, they're all Lines. Sorry, I have a type.
    Last edited by EWG; 11-10-2020 at 02:54 PM.

184 Kastle MX98 (2016) w/ P14 and LOOK SX130
    191 Lhasa Fats w/ same binding/boot
    188 Kastle TX98 w/ G3 ION and BD Methods.
    I would take all 3 on road trips from UT and/or plane.

I have a nice big old ATOMIC bag that holds them nicely.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Kastle 89
    Bonafides
    FR117
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Flying with lots of skis and boots sucks. I try to select the ski for the best days that I am hoping to have at a given location/for the type of trip and deal with conditions when I get there. Choices that I have made and do not regret:
    Japan - 187 Protest/Tecton/Maestrale RS
    Norway - 190 Deathwish/Dynafiddle/Maestrale RS
    Various backcountry locations in B.C. - 184 Steeple/Tecton/Maestrale RS
    Resorts around western N.A. - 190 Bibby Pro
    Future decisions will incorporate a lighter touring ski and Billy Goat into the above equations.

Current quiver for utah, Jackson or the ghee

Daily driver
    Billy goat, Lhasa fat, corvus or bmx 108

1-2’ of fresh
    Kusala, Nocta, spur or lotus 120

Deep days 2 feet plus to 4’
    Pontoon, protest, redeemer, ARG or new spur

Touring
    Camox, wootest 2.0, voile drifter or V8

Also have megawatts and wootest 1.0

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I took Lotus 120's/ Verts/ Vulcans and a spare vert heelpiece to Hokkaido and i wanted for nothing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Depending on who I am with and where I am going.

1 ski quiver:
    Kastle MX 98

2 ski quiver: Head Monster 83 and MX98

3 ski quiver:
    Icy/firm groomers: Rossi FIS SL or Head Monster 83s
    variable: Kastle MX98 or Moment Belafonte
    Got lucky: Line Pescado or ON3P Billy Goats
    Last edited by Utagonian; 11-13-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Good thing I actually drove to Breck and don’t have to choose I bring as much as I want and just leave them in the back of the truck. I’m really excited about the BOSSs. If I make it down that way this year, let’s meet up for a lap!
    ^^ Sounds good.

As for me if I am traveling;

1 pair: K2 Mindbend 179s
    2 pair: Praxis 9D8 185s and MBs or Woodsman 116 182s depending on weather projection
    3 pair: 9D8s, MBs and Billy Goat 184s

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Current quiver for utah, Jackson or the ghee

Daily driver
    Billy goat, Lhasa fat, corvus or bmx 108

1-2’ of fresh
    Kusala, Nocta, spur or lotus 120

Deep days 2 feet plus to 4’
    Pontoon, protest, redeemer, ARG or new spur

Touring
    Camox, wootest 2.0, voile drifter or V8

Also have megawatts and wootest 1.0

You aren’t supposed to just list off your quiver! Make a choice, we are making you choose! Listing the quiver is for the quiver pic thread.

1 ski only and no new snow - 189 Wren 98...

2 ski and snow - 189 Wren 108 and now maybe my new 192 Woodsman 108 and 192 Rustler 11...

No need for 3 as the above mentioned skis cover it all...

Boots - my trusted and multiple back up pairs of Salomon X Max 130 with Booster straps...

No touring for this lazy ass lift chair rider...

Hoji
    Hoji
    aaand fatter hoji
    But you knew that 🤣

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    skid luxury

Last time I drove west took OG 108 with vipec for touring and Nordic’s Enforcer (the old 98 ones) and your Blizzard Spurs

Last time I flew I only brought the OG 108. Worked great for a week of lifts and touring

Not anticipating any ski trips this year

I usually travel from the East Coast out to Bridger or BC most years. My quiver has gotten huge mostly because I’ve got to entertain myself planning on being stuck on the East Coast all Winter this year. But, if I were to travel West this year...

1) 184cm Volkl Mantra 102 as the daily. Brought it to Revelstoke last year and it was really good.

2) add 184cm Volkl VWerks Katana for when Ullr smiles and it gets deep... or side country or touring options come available.

3) add 191cm Movement Goliath for when it gets tracked out/chopped up, warms up and gets crudded/heavy/manky, terrain is wide open, or I want to ski angry.

(Although I added a 194cm 1st gen MX 98 and a 190cm Dynastar LPR to my quiver this year to ski off against my Goliaths and 188cm Rossi E98 to determine a winner in the “ski angry” category... Results TBD)

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Hoji
    Hoji
    aaand fatter hoji
    But you knew that 🤣

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Fatter Hojis, aka Hokkaidos

192 Rustler 11 with CAST.

Thats right... some of us have a one ski quiver and ride em regardless of the conditions. Skis can do that now.

Brahmas w/dukes
    Protests w/dukes

Next April AK trip (assuming it hangs together!)...
    maestrale RS boots
    192 line super natural 115s with tyr attack2 AT
    190 4frnt ravens with dynafits