Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    4frnt devestators and renegades for anywhere. Shifts on renegades pivot on devastators. Can’t imagine not being able to shed any conditions with these two skis. Devastators absolutely destroy all inbound conditions. I’m shocked how well the slay groomers. I was at bachelor 2 springs ago and a guy in the lift line was shocked at my skis. He’s seen me below the chair railing groomers and assumed it was on gs race boards. And renegades speak for themselves. Always bring your renegades, that way you’re not on top of something rad saying I wish I’d brought my renegades.
    If they both came in different sizes I’d say the same for me, but at 5’7’’ and newly ~174lbs they wore me out in the 194/196 sizes. Never tried 186 Ren but feared the rocking horse effect in chop. 184 Dev felt more suitable for NE.

It’s hard to believe how hard you can carve the Devs while being predictably able to break into a slarve or drift. The MVPs I replaced them with do not carve like that (although maybe the 187 will carve a little better than the 193)

1 ski out west: 4frnt Hoji or Volkl One.

2 ski travel quiver for (most) resorts out west:
    187 praxis MVP — recently downsized from the 193
    186 Moment chipotle banana — going to AB these against some early model 188 Protests this winter

If skinning is on the menu:
    184 Praxis Piste Jib with Shifts
    187 Hojis with Shifts (186 EHP with Dukes if I feel like blasting the hip flexors)

Anywhere -

190 deathwish tour/tectons
    192 bent chetler w/ shifts

Zero g pro.

Park to pow. Doesn’t matter
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

1-ski
    Woodsman
    2-ski
    Piste Jib
    GPO
    3-ski
    SD95
    Woodsman
    Protest

If touring, GPO and Katanas.

I’ve skied on a Blizzard Bodacious every day out since December of 2019. Some days I took a 186, some days a 193. All with 916s, and all on Cochise 130s.
    The 193 is better on good vis days when you can see a little farther, but the 186 can handle everything else.
    I took them on a little road trip to Montana last March just before the world stopped, and they were perfect at Disco and Lost Trail even though the conditions weren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I'll just leave my last two years 2-ski quiver setup:

186 Atomic Backland 117s with Shifts
    177 Salomon MTN 88s with MTNs

I'll just say I could have gone thinner on the fat ones and fatter on the thin ones, but overall it worked well. Except for the snowfall in 2018-2019 part...

The Atomics are surprisingly fun on groomers and can hold their own through crud.

My usual ski travel, airplane and car rental, gets me on the Powder Highway, with stops at Red, Whitewater, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Fernie and Castle. Inbounds mostly and a tiny bit-o-cat.

1 ski only would be 190 Bibby Pro w/pivots

2 skis are Bibby and 187 Praxis MVP w/pivots

3 skis would be Bibby, MVP and 186 Legend Pro w/pivots
    Last edited by skuff; 11-14-2020 at 10:31 AM.

1 ski- automatic 109
    2- Mantra and Old 192 bent checker
    3. Mantra automatic and 189 first Gen spurs
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Ski Trip Quivers: 1, 2, 3 pairs of skis, what are you bringing

Usually I ski 10 Baker days, 30 Whistler and 10 on the Powder Hwy (Whitewater, Red, Fernie, Kicking Horse). Helps having a wife who grew up in the Kootenays who loves skiing as much as I do.

This year we’re heading to Nelson Dec 15-29 to avoid Whistler Covid crowds. Booked my 7 res days at whistler for late Dec and January weekends. No Baker this year as border is closed. Will head back to Nelson/Rossland in Feb and Mar if Whistler (Vail) is f’d up.

All these skis are in my current quiver:

1 ski: Rustler 11s with Shifts

2 ski: Salomon QST 106 with Pivots and Bentchetler 120s with Shifts

3 ski: Enforcer Free 104 with STH, Rustler 11 with Shifts and Faction Candide 5.0s with Pivots.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-14-2020 at 01:38 PM.

I have more fun skiing on hard snow on a 120mm waisted ski than skiing sun crust or mank on a 105 mm ski.
    So I always opt for the fatties as first choice.

Last year, with all the touring in skinny euro skintracks in the morning firm, I was questioning that choice until it warmed a bit. On the down in the corn to guanch, I was glad for the fatties.

The only times I fly, want to travel light so I bring just that one pair.

If I roll down through UT to Co, the most I ever take is 2 pair, but most of the time I'm so loaded down with family support supplies, I just take the one pair of fatties.

The bindings have been the Marker rail binding, the tour f12, heavier than tech binders but versatile for the in bounds as well as the lift assisted tour. But this year, I'm going to try the tectons as the one binder fits all.

In general, I'm over lugging the variety and a couple years ago switched to the one boot to r00l them all, the Roxa R3 130.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

fun discussion! I'll be touring wherever I go, so ..

High altitude climb/ski --> billygoat tours.
    Deep touring like UT or BC or Japan --> C&D (+pillowfights if Japan).
    cat/heli? BC or AK --> C&D (+pillowfights if I'm taking 2 pr).

All with shifts and Maestrale RS's.

The pillowfight is a milk and honey in the right conditions, and the rider of a pale horse in the wrong conditions. Too risky as a quiver of one no matter what the destination is.
    north bound horse.

Wow. This is a rich crowd. Three pairs of skis?!?!
    And now you want more, so that you have to pick what 3 to bring?
    FFS. Maybe it is time to donate your extra to a needy family.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post

I've bought most of my gear used off TGR and craigslist. 3 pairs used skis = 1 pair at retail. Thanks for this valuable insight. Take a lap.

Ski Trip Quivers: 1, 2, 3 pairs of skis, what are you bringing

Next we’ll start a thread about which 3 bikes to bring on a trip. That’ll send him over the edge.

Have you seen the quiver pic thread? Your head is gonna explode.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

He’s got to be trolling...

EWG, I rolled my eyes at your bike comment then realized I do indeed have 3 bikes, a mountain bike, road bike, and dirt jump/pump track bike...

Yeah maybe I fed the troll. Bike comment is definitely valid. I unloaded 2 bikes on craigslist during peak COVID demand and I still have 3 haha.

Being in the southern hemisphere makes this especially pertinent to me...well at least until I left a couple of pairs in Whistler.

1 ski - Either ZG105 or Bentchetler 100. I like to tour and can live with compromise in the resort.
    2 ski - BC100 and Rustler 11
    3 ski - BC100, Wildcat Tour (or Rustler 11) and Mindbender 99ti

Shift feels too heavy to tour on nowadays, so I just use Tectons and have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    He’s got to be trolling...

EWG, I rolled my eyes at your bike comment then realized I do indeed have 3 bikes, a mountain bike, road bike, and dirt jump/pump track bike...

Road, cross, fully, another fully, ss MTB, tandem, fixie/ss, cruiser.

My name is EWG and I may have a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Road, cross, fully, another fully, ss MTB, tandem, fixie/ss, cruiser.

My name is EWG and I may have a problem...
    My bike shop convinced me to get a cross instead of a road. They don’t steer me wrong with full squish bikes, so I went with it. I’ll see how I like it. They are working on convincing me that pedaling around a 7in Freeride/enduro bike on XC trails isn’t the best idea, and I need a Scott Spark, or something similar, like a v3 Following. If anyone things a ski quiver is expensive, they haven’t looked at nice full suspension bikes...

Ok back to skis! What do you have? Where are you going? Why are you bringing those skis to slid around on snow on?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    personally i only donate time so none of it gits skimmed
    maybe its time you quit cuntin threads with smjw crap
    and git a job that pays enough $$ to have a quiver
    id drive
    with a pair of praxis rx
    rollin down the road
    baked bob
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

If traveling to the western part of US or Canada:

1 ski - present year QST 106 with shift. Does most things pretty damn good.

2 ski - Stance 102 for harder snow and GPO with shift for softer snow

3 ski - Stance 102, GPO and C&D

If traveling to Japan:

1 ski - Kusala with MTN because the snow is soft.

2 ski - Concept and Kusala. Something a little more resort friendly and something to tour on.

3 ski - Concept, Kusala and OG Pillow Fight. Something a little more resort friendly, something to tour on and the PF kicks ass in the right conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Boots will be Head Raptor 140RSs for everything because we won’t be touring or hiking much. They have CAST tech toe inserts, so I’m covers for an inbounds skinning lap if I want to.
    How are the CAST inserts? I love my Raptors so much, I'd be hesitant to switch over to a different boot. What do you think about them?

Quote Originally Posted by willgoelz View Post
    How are the CAST inserts? I love my Raptors so much, I'd be hesitant to switch over to a different boot. What do you think about them?
    I’m probably not much help since I toured on Lange XT Free Pros last winter. My cast tech toes were just put in a few weeks back.

I will say in the past, touring for more then an hour in my old Lange RS140s or ZBs sucked, but for quick skins off the resort, it’s fine. Leave the cuff buckles dangling, same with the booster strap, and it’s fine. Not great at all, but you get used to it quick. Just remember you get to come down in your Raptors, and that’s 100% worth it.

^^ what he said. I have Lange ZB's with inserts and it sucks to tour, but like anything, you can get used to it. I have a friend who used to tour 2000hm+ days on head raptor B3's. Most of the 'La Liste' movie Heitz and Anthamatten are on Salomon Ghosts.
    The best part is switching over to a touring boot the next day and feeling like you are walking on flip flops

Fun game, I'll try.

For anywhere in the Alps:

- 1 ski quiver: Monster 98 with Peak 18. For about the same reasons some pick MX98. Owning both, I just find the Monster 98 better almost everywhere. Maybe in 184, more versatile than 191, but still very capable.
    - 2 ski quiver : Monster 98 191 with Peak 18 for hard pack, and Hoji 187 with Shift for pow.
    - 3 ski quiver : Monster 98 191 with Peak 18 for hard pack, Hoji 187 with Shift for pow, and BC Solis with ATK FR14 for couloir and tour.

Japan or British Columbia (or any pow destination).
    - 1 ski quiver : Lotus 138 192 with Shifts. Guys, we're talking about jappow!!!
    - 2 ski quiver : Lotus 138 192 with Shifts, Hoji 187 with Shifts.
    - 3 ski quiver : Lotus 138 192 with Shifts, Hoji 187 with Shifts, Monster 108 191 with Peak 18 . Or Devastator 194 this one one has just join the family and is still to try.