Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    1 ski - 186 billy goat
    2 ski - BG and 192 protest
    3 ski - BG, Protest and voile V8 (touring)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Flying probably means Japan for me, but I haven't been yet (had big plans for this winter but, ya know).

One ski: 190 Deathwish w/ Outlaws
    two ski: 190 Deathwish w/ Lynx, 189 Cease and Desist w/ Outlaws

Scarpa TX Boots only because of the amount of touring I would hope to do. If two pairs of boots were possible I would also bring my trusty Crispi Evo World Cups. I think flying with three pairs of skis would be a bit much.

If I am flying to ski in the US or Canada it is probably a short trip to chase snow so would bring the Cease and Desists and maybe Deathwishes with the Crispis. If I am driving (most likely scenario) I have plenty of room in the Excursion for all 10 pairs .

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    If I am driving (most likely scenario) I have plenty of room in the Excursion for all 10 pairs .
    And that's how to travel with ski equipment

Bump cause it’s summer, it’s hot, I’m at work and am looking forward to days when the boarders are open again.

Trying to decided between a Japow trip or Powder Highway with sleds and hopefully end up in AK super road trip. New skis are fairly low on my priority list with a career change in the near future, so I have to pick from the bloated quiver.

I ended the season with the Rossignol Black Ops Sender Squad and Salomon Blank being my go to skis. I didn’t get a chance to get the Blank in deep pow and need to do that before I commit, but for Japow right now I’d take either the Sender Squad or Blanks with Cast 2.0 and Pon2oons with Pivots. It would be hard leaving the BMX115s home, as well as the Mindbender 116C. I might put inserts for a tech binding in the Sender Squad or Blank, depending on the crew I went with. A ski dedicated to touring would be really nice, but you have to know your self and with the Blanks/SS and Toons I’m covered for what I’m looking for in Japan.

Super sled ski road trip is a lot easier because we are driving, so I can bring 3 or 4 pairs. Again I need to see how I like the Blanks in deep pow before committing to them for that long. So it’s Sender Squads/Blanks, 203 Shiros, Kaestle BMX 115 and possibly Mindbender 116C. The 203 Shiros probably don’t get touched until we get to AK. I grab the 115s or SS/Blank on sled ski or resort days. And the MB116C to tour on.

Part of me wants to sell the MB116C and put a tech binding on the 115s, but my touring boot can but can’t really handle the 115s. That would make some of these decisions a lot easier.

Oh boots is easy, Head Raptor 140RS w/ Cast toes goes for both trips. If a ski with a tech toe makes either trip, then I toss in my Lange XT Free 140s.

It’s only June and I’m already itching to ski.

Feel like it's taken me years to pair this down to skis I actually like, but with 3 skis to bring I'm super happy with this setup.

190 salomon stance 102 w/ grip walk p18s. Awesome awesome hard snow biased resort charger ski that can rip bumps, carve and drift around and still super poppy and fun.

189 head Kore 117 w/ adrenalines. Fatty ski that can rip up some harder funkier snow when needed. Short tours or worth dragging uphill for teh uber deepness. Would be fine as a one ski setup for somewhere like Utah or BC.

189 head Kore 105 (actually 108 underfoot) w/ mtns. Great touring setup that can easily handle a resort pow day as long as it's soft on soft.

Boots - Fischer Ranger Free 130

Renegades w/ cast devestators or ehp w/ p18 and Ravens w/ pin binder. I’ve got a 20+ ski active quiver. But I could be happy with nothing but the above

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Renegades w/ cast devestators or ehp w/ p18 and Ravens w/ pin binder. I’ve got a 20+ ski active quiver. But I could be happy with nothing but the above
    I’d be pretty good with the MX98 w/ Pivots, Blanks w/ cast, and BMX 115 w/ Pivots. I just don’t tour that much. It’s nice having options, but those three get the most use by far.

If I ever end up skiing AK, I'd probably bring MF108s, Bent Chetler 120s, and either a RipStick 106 Black or a Vision 108.

After being on Shifts this season, I'm having some serious considerations for switching to CAST + G3 Ion for my binders. Currently quiver killed all my skis, so I'd just switch between CAST and the G3s for whatever my purposes would be.

The Vision would be a no brainer, but I know a few people that have broken theirs so I'm not sold yet. RipStick Black meets a lot of my criteria sans the twin shape, but not stoked on the weight. Otherwise, I don't see a lot of other options for twin-shaped touring skis.

I'd probably just ski my cochise 130s the whole time.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    If I ever end up skiing AK, I'd probably bring MF108s, Bent Chetler 120s, and either a RipStick 106 Black or a Vision 108.

After being on Shifts this season, I'm having some serious considerations for switching to CAST + G3 Ion for my binders. Currently quiver killed all my skis, so I'd just switch between CAST and the G3s for whatever my purposes would be.

The Vision would be a no brainer, but I know a few people that have broken theirs so I'm not sold yet. RipStick Black meets a lot of my criteria sans the twin shape, but not stoked on the weight. Otherwise, I don't see a lot of other options for twin-shaped touring skis.

I'd probably just ski my cochise 130s the whole time.

Can you expand on your Shift comment? I’m not following the Shift thread if you expanded on there.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Can you expand on your Shift comment? I’m not following the Shift thread if you expanded on there.

I think I had slightly higher expectations for the shifts. Probably unrealistic expectations. Some of the more aggressive terrain I toured in this season i found myself wanting a more substantial binding. Had some releases I didn't want, and I can tell the difference in elastic travel compared to my STH 16s.

I figure for the times I want to ski hard, I'm willing to deal with the extra weight from CAST. For the times I'm skiing conservative, I'd rather have something like the Ion.

Got the shifts thinking it would have a larger spectrum for aggressive skiing, but I don't find it very confidence inspiring. Biggest thing keeping me from CAST is I like my STH 16s too much.

I think we all had high expectations for Shifts. I didn’t give them as big of a test as you did, but I agree with you on them.

I came to the same conclusion, if I want to ski hard, and some touring is involved, CAST for me, but I’m a P18 guy. If I’m going to your, I’ll take it a big easier and Kingpins are fine.

If I'm heading to Utah I'm always bringing my 2012-2013 Bent Chetlers. I also bring a ski in the 100-110 range. Currently that would be the Enforcer 100. If I am absolutely neurotic and I am going with someone who only brings 1 pair of skis and has room in their tube or ski bag I might bring a pair of groomer skis like the Nordica Firestorm 80s.

Without fail I end up skiing the OG Bent Chetlers 80%+ of the time. They are so much fun at alta that I cannot justify skiing anything else right now.

Hoping to replace the Enforcers with something a little more playful and lively.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This coming season I will bring these, both will be new so depending on how they work for me I may change it up...

Moment Deathwish
    Bent Chetlers

I would usually take trips from new england to somewhere in the Western US and had it pretty dialed to a 1 ski trip quiver by the end that also allowed me to only check a non overweight ski bag and not another bag as well. 190 Moment Bibby quiverkilled for pivots and dynafits. I'd then put one pair of boots in the ski bag along with some clothes and avy gear and carry on the other pair with a backpack with the remainder of my clothes. Not the most efficient to bring two boots but I had some trips where we'd be charging inbounds for a few days and then go on a multi day hut trip so I never regretted bringing both
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I would usually take trips from new england to somewhere in the Western US and had it pretty dialed to a 1 ski trip quiver by the end that also allowed me to only check a non overweight ski bag and not another bag as well. 190 Moment Bibby quiverkilled for pivots and dynafits. I'd then put one pair of boots in the ski bag along with some clothes and avy gear and carry on the other pair with a backpack with the remainder of my clothes. Not the most efficient to bring two boots but I had some trips where we'd be charging inbounds for a few days and then go on a multi day hut trip so I never regretted bringing both
    How was it switching bindings? I’ve thought about quiverkillers for bigger trips where I want to ski both inbounds and out, but it always seemed like too many moving parts.

For the last ten years when I have traveled it has always meant a touring setup was coming. If I was driving it was easy to bring two pairs of boots. Flying worked, but was more challenging with one bag underneath. Last time brought just 0g 108 with vipec and got along well. Unfortunately the vipecs failed again and I am done with them for a while. Going forward the key for me will be one pair of stiff touring boots with alpine bindings that adjust. Hopefully that is BBI Euro this year.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    For the last ten years when I have traveled it has always meant a touring setup was coming. If I was driving it was easy to bring two pairs of boots. Flying worked, but was more challenging with one bag underneath. Last time brought just 0g 108 with vipec and got along well. Unfortunately the vipecs failed again and I am done with them for a while. Going forward the key for me will be one pair of stiff touring boots with alpine bindings that adjust. Hopefully that is BBI Euro this year.
    A Euro is the one where I can never (theoretically for now) decide what skis to bring.

Right figured I would just bring my touring skis 0g 105 and EC powder skis nordica 104 and rent as needed

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    How was it switching bindings? I’ve thought about quiverkillers for bigger trips where I want to ski both inbounds and out, but it always seemed like too many moving parts.

It's really not bad I've switched them multiple times in a day before and it takes like 5 mins. Only annoyance I ever ran into was skiing inbounds and then having people decide they wanted to do a sidecountry lap since a lot of my buddies ski on touring gear inbounds, but that'd be the same issue with two pairs of skis vs just two pairs of bindings. The hassle of switching bindings was definitely worth avoiding the extra cost of checking a second bag or having an overweight bag for me

For me it's mainly about the boots - I have tried trips where I just bring touring boots with two sets of bindings but I just really dislike charging on touring boots inbounds even stiff modern ones
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Chipotle Bananas with CAST
    Bibbys with CAST
    Deathwish with CAST

One CAST freetour set, and two second ski kits. Pick two out of those three and you have a damn good travel quiver.

Ski Trip Quivers: 1, 2, 3 pairs of skis, what are you bringing

Renegade CAST
    Raven Kingpin

That would be my advice for two skis for JP.

Any old snow days and just rent something if you must ski.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Renegade CAST
    Raven Kingpin

That would be my advice for two skis for JP.

Any old snow days and just rent something if you must ski.
    Next winter is supposed to be my first trip to AK, but you are making me itch for Japow...

I think I’d take Pon2oons with CAST and Salomon Blanks with CAST. I’d have a hard time leaving my BMX 115s or Mindbender 116C w/ Kingpins home, but decisions must be made. Probably take just my Head Raptor 140RSs with CAST inserts too. Keep it simple.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9021.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	960.7 KB 
ID:	378338
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9022.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	378339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9023.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	378340Name:  IMG_0778.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  259.0 KB

Looks okay I guess...

Ski Trip Quivers: 1, 2, 3 pairs of skis, what are you bringing

Technology has come a long way since the Pon2oon. And in dry northern Japanese snow almost anything will work.

But the ultimate rule to live by is—stiff reverse camber holds up at high speeds and will let you float the low speeds.

Those softer, earlier-tech pow skis might float great at low speeds but they fold at high speeds.

If you’re in Japan after the first two meters, and the forest floor’s base is covered, and it’s tron season— fuck those fat softies. Those are for early season floating over meadows and hollow snow.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Technology has come a long way since the Pon2oon. And in dry northern Japanese snow almost anything will work.

But the ultimate rule to live by is—stiff reverse camber holds up at high speeds and will let you float the low speeds.

Those softer, earlier-tech pow skis might float great at low speeds but they fold at high speeds.

If you’re in Japan after the first two meters, and the forest floor’s base is covered, and it’s tron season— fuck those fat softies. Those are for early season floating over meadows and hollow snow.
    Good to know, I took Protests last time I went and they were alright. I don’t see the Pon2oons being soft, but taking something narrower would be easier on the knees getting back to the lifts. Maybe my opinion on the Chipotle Bananas will change with more time on them.