Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    I’ve tried several Praxis and I’ve wanted to like them but just don’t get along with them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    PM sent for options.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    I like the concept -kind of like the shiro with tapered tips- but just a tad too wide. For what I'm looking for, would be perfect in the 110-115ish range.
    I have heard a lot of talk about the old shiro, I never got a chance to ski it. Out of curiosity what does it do that say a moment wildcat, dps koala, Rossi blackops, mfree 118 etc doesn’t do?

Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    I have heard a lot of talk about the old shiro, I never got a chance to ski it. Out of curiosity what does it do that say a moment wildcat, dps koala, Rossi blackops, mfree 118 etc doesn’t do?

The Shiro is stable, it’s dead easy (even called boring) to ski powder, and it’s only quirk is the massive tip. And it’s a true 193. The tips don’t fold up going into and out of pow, it holds an edge like a carving ski once you get it up there. There is zero tip flap, it just holds. They are just locomotives that roll through and over everything.

I haven’t been on the Koala and I think I was on the old Bibby, just can’t remember it. So I don’t have an opinion on those, but I do remember the Black Ops and the MFree 118. Both are super pow ski, able to do just about anything you want, but I’m too big for them. The length makes me feel like I’m going over the tips unless I get back. The tips are also fairly soft. If you just ski from a tack to a pow patch, the tip folds up and you get that over the bars feeling. Even crossing other tracks, I get the same feeling with both. The mount points on both have me in the back seat to try to keep the tips up on both, but the Shiro has a further back mount, so I don’t have to lean back to keep the tips out of the snow (the tip is also massive so that helps).

The Shiro is also full rocker, and it just does what I want. Other skis I have had to put more thought/work into them to get them to go and do what I want. No matter where I go, they just come around when I want them to.

Last thing, the 203 and the 193 are so alike that I can switch between the two depending on what I’m doing that day. No one else makes a pow ski over 196 that skis like the 193.

In a perfect world, the Shiro replacement would be the same flex/stiffness/suspension. The tip would be 5-10mm narrower, and the widest part of the tip would come back 8-10cm, with what’s in front of that tapering appropriately. They also would go on a diet to lose 150-250 grams.

Thanks for the awesome input skibrd! My ideal pow ski length is 185-190 so I’m lucky to have a ton of options plus I get along well with forward mount points. I can see how that ski would be hard to replace for people looking for 193+

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post

In a perfect world, the Shiro replacement would be the same flex/stiffness/suspension. The tip would be 5-10mm narrower, and the widest part of the tip would come back 8-10cm, with what’s in front of that tapering appropriately. They also would go on a diet to lose 150-250 grams.

Obviously... skis are always subjective but I totally agree with the above ^^^^ as to what I would want.

As I noted in my first post, I think I narrower Pon2oon (around 115ish) with a bit more stiffness to handle chop would be perfect!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

I really like the Chipotle Banana from Moment. Sort of feels like a Pontoon but 122 not 132 wide. Might mount it back a few cm though.

Curious about this. I don't really see much similarity between the two. They are both rc skis, but the pontoon/pon2oon(or the Shiro ftm)both have huge tips w/ quite a pintail. CB much straighter sidecut, no pintail.

How bout G3 Slayr 114. Comes in 195 and 2 titanal layers

If they did it would measure 7cm shorter then they say

Get Leeper in the squat rack, maybe they'll start making adult sizes!

The reason I'm skiing the Anima is not because I thought it was some special beast, but because it's one of the few "playful charger" type pow skis that come in a 190+. Well that and they were $200 at STP. At 6'6" my center of mass doesn't play well with shorter skis in soft snow

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Curious about this. I don't really see much similarity between the two. They are both rc skis, but the pontoon/pon2oon(or the Shiro ftm)both have huge tips w/ quite a pintail. CB much straighter sidecut, no pintail.

How bout G3 Slayr 114. Comes in 195 and 2 titanal layers
    I was excited about this ski, but the blister blurb in their buyers guide calls it dead easy to ski. Fwiw. That and it's silly light. But still a big ski on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    Get Leeper in the squat rack, maybe they'll start making adult sizes!

The reason I'm skiing the Anima is not because I thought it was some special beast, but because it's one of the few "playful charger" type pow skis that come in a 190+. Well that and they were $200 at STP. At 6'6" my center of mass doesn't play well with shorter skis in soft snow
    Gym isn’t in the vocabulary there, and he’s happy with them exactly how they are. I can’t argue with it, he’s pretty good.

Oh I’d like it for that price too! Or at least give it a shot.

The G3 sounds interesting. I haven’t skied any of their stuff

Love the monster pow-ski quiver talk. I've honestly loved all the powder skis I've owned, but I just can't help continuing to search for new sensations on snow!

My pow ski history (though I've only ever owned one at a time):

196 Bodacious: never had more fun going mach-looney above treeline.

193 BMX 115: wanted a ski a bit less "monster-truck" than the 196 Bode so I could have more maneuverability in tight places. Lighter weight on the BMX definitely helped there, but since my daily driver is the 105HP, I ultimately decided I wanted my pow day ski to have a more meaningful difference in "feel" - just to keep things interesting.

190 Bibby/Wildcat: given all the hype, I had to try them for myself. Really impressive ski, crazy easy dynamic skiing, but I always wanted some more ski in front of me. If the Bibby added 2cms to the tip and shaved a little width off the tail, I think it'd be my god ski. In lieu of that, I started looking for something that might have those dimensions and a little bit more of a traditional mount point.

189 Billy Goat: listed as 189cm, but measures similarly to most other manufacturer's 191's. Shockingly maneuverable ski that can still straight-line chop without blinking. Best ski I've been on when the pow has a little more moisture to it. Fantastic Revy ski. Less of a "stand out" ski in Utah blower.

I've yet to find something more fun than the Goats for your standard resort 8"+ pow days that have a mix of high alpine and tree skiing, but my next experiment will likely be something like a Renegade, Rapture, Protest, Nocta, etc

The Shiro is stable, it’s dead easy (even called boring) to ski powder, and it’s only quirk is the massive tip. And it’s a true 193. The tips don’t fold up going into and out of pow, it holds an edge like a carving ski once you get it up there. There is zero tip flap, it just holds. They are just locomotives that roll through and over everything.

I haven’t been on the Koala and I think I was on the old Bibby, just can’t remember it. So I don’t have an opinion on those, but I do remember the Black Ops and the MFree 118. Both are super pow ski, able to do just about anything you want, but I’m too big for them. The length makes me feel like I’m going over the tips unless I get back. The tips are also fairly soft. If you just ski from a tack to a pow patch, the tip folds up and you get that over the bars feeling. Even crossing other tracks, I get the same feeling with both. The mount points on both have me in the back seat to try to keep the tips up on both, but the Shiro has a further back mount, so I don’t have to lean back to keep the tips out of the snow (the tip is also massive so that helps).

The Shiro is also full rocker, and it just does what I want. Other skis I have had to put more thought/work into them to get them to go and do what I want. No matter where I go, they just come around when I want them to.

Last thing, the 203 and the 193 are so alike that I can switch between the two depending on what I’m doing that day. No one else makes a pow ski over 196 that skis like the 193.

I’ve been putting a few days on my 183cm Shiros. In more usual and easy skiing soft snow conditions I prefer a livelier ski, but with 30 -40cm of light fluff on top of a variable crust they’re strong, smooth and predictable, while still manoeuvrable (in the 183cm) in the tight stuff. A great ski to have in the quiver, and widely available for cheap used.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I’ve been putting a few days on my 183cm Shiros. In more usual and easy skiing soft snow conditions I prefer a livelier ski, but with 30 -40cm of light fluff on top of a variable crust they’re strong, smooth and predictable, while still manoeuvrable (in the 183cm) in the tight stuff. A great ski to have in the quiver, and widely available for cheap used.
    Sounds about right. Just predictable and easy.

Helping non mag friend who will be living in Japan for several years starting next autumn. Some mags may know him. Hard charging directional skier who wants something “playful enough for Japan.” He’s a Tahoe skier and loved in SLT for ~5 years. He usually enjoys skiing “in” the snow rather than on top. He recognizes Japan is deep and treed and may not be as steep and open as Tahoe. He was on his widest skis yesterday at sugarbowl (it was deep!) and knows that he needs something wider for Japan. He’s 6’3”. Quiver: kastle fx96hp in longest length, stockli older stormriders (longest length), volkl g41 198cm.

He’s looking for a short list that hopefully he can demo this season and buy before he moves. He also tours but hasn’t for a few seasons (we discussed the shifts). We discussed maybe two pow skis, but he is focused on one at a time. He’s mentioned curiosity with the big dynastars, Kore 116, and the lotus 124. I responded that he may want to look at the koala.

Thoughts and feelings?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Helping non mag friend who will be living in Japan for several years starting next autumn. Some mags may know him. Hard charging directional skier who wants something “playful enough for Japan.” He’s a Tahoe skier and loved in SLT for ~5 years. He usually enjoys skiing “in” the snow rather than on top. He recognizes Japan is deep and treed and may not be as steep and open as Tahoe. He was on his widest skis yesterday at sugarbowl (it was deep!) and knows that he needs something wider for Japan. He’s 6’3”. Quiver: kastle fx96hp in longest length, stockli older stormriders (longest length), volkl g41 198cm.

He’s looking for a short list that hopefully he can demo this season and buy before he moves. He also tours but hasn’t for a few seasons (we discussed the shifts). We discussed maybe two pow skis, but he is focused on one at a time. He’s mentioned curiosity with the big dynastars, Kore 116, and the lotus 124. I responded that he may want to look at the koala.

Thoughts and feelings?
    He might want to check out Moment Chipotle Bananas, Line Vision 118, and maybe the Kaestle BMX 115. I know, three drastically different skis. If he is a bigger guy, he won’t have an issue with any of them in tight trees.

Moment is making a touring version of the Chipotle Banana, that ski intrigues me for Japan a lot. Fat ski, all rocker, good suspension, good weight to tour on, just seems about right.

If he doesn’t really care about weight, K2 Pontoons are maybe the easiest deep pow ski I’ve ever been on. A bit heavy to tour on, but well worth it I bet.

When I go back to Japan I’ll take Moment Chipotle Bananas (maybe the tour ones if I get a pair) with CAST 2.0, Line Vision 108s with some touring binding, and if I have weight left in my bag, K2 Pontoons with Pivots.

Where does pon2oon fit in the whole directional vs new school / playful vs beefy- - long desired to own a pair and will grab some at the end of season for next year but just wondering more about its profile, presumably it’s unchanged since it became the pon2oon (from pontoon1.0) which was a long time ago so I imagine the mount point (relative to other powder skis) is probably pretty trad? Anyway the magic j and the pontoon were two long-standing love affairs of long standing old models, on the magic j this year, pontoon next!
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Where does pon2oon fit in the whole directional vs new school / playful vs beefy- - long desired to own a pair and will grab some at the end of season for next year but just wondering more about its profile, presumably it’s unchanged since it became the pon2oon (from pontoon1.0) which was a long time ago so I imagine the mount point (relative to other powder skis) is probably pretty trad? Anyway the magic j and the pontoon were two long-standing love affairs of long standing old models, on the magic j this year, pontoon next!
    The Pon2oon is both? It had this weird ability to charge if you want in a weird stand up straight and roll over everything, yet pivot and be thrown sideways on a dime. I have only had them out on really really deep days, so I don’t really care how they charge cause I’m skiing deep pow.

The Magic Js seem like they would be a ton of fun. I’d also love to get on a pair some day.

The Pon2oon is both? It had this weird ability to charge if you want in a weird stand up straight and roll over everything, yet pivot and be thrown sideways on a dime. I have only had them out on really really deep days, so I don’t really care how they charge cause I’m skiing deep pow.

The Magic Js seem like they would be a ton of fun. I’d also love to get on a pair some day.

Nice! Glad I won’t be sad to meet my heroes. Magic J is really fun, if you like the BC/JjJ type of fun but want something a bit more truck like and brute to it, it’s great, doesn’t unseat the original spur or Kuro for favorite ever, but it’s very very good. Makes me way better then I am through pillow lines.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Nice! Glad I won’t be sad to meet my heroes. Magic J is really fun, if you like the BC/JjJ type of fun but want something a bit more truck like and brute to it, it’s great, doesn’t unseat the original spur or Kuro for favorite ever, but it’s very very good. Makes me way better then I am through pillow lines.
    Oh, I like the sound of that. Like it a lot. I’m really happy with the Chipotle Bananas, but I will keep an eye out for a deal for Magic Js. I also need to sell multiple pairs of pow skis in order to justify Magic Js.