Raceface Ride bottom bracket

I finally got around to cleaning up the fat bike last night and found that my bottom bracket needs replacement. At least this is what I'm guessing. The crank spindle moves through the BB (drive side to non drive side) a mm or so and up and down (toward and away from the saddle) a mm or so. I have been looking for info on the crank and BB but can't find much. It is a Raceface Ride crank and BB. The retention bolt on the crank arm is plenty tight so I can only assume that the BB needs to be replaced.

Can any 100mm wide 24mm Bottom bracket work for this? Something like this? https://www.modernbike.com/fsa-mega-...bottom-bracket

Thanks in advance.

Seth

If you have vertical play, I'd take that thing apart before you go ordering any parts. Vertical play in a bottom bracket is rare. It can happen, but it'd mean your bearings are very, very destroyed, and it wouldn't be surprising to find damage to the spindle as well.

That said, any 24mm BB should work fine, although different brands tend to be slightly different widths, so you might need to fuss around with spacers if you get something different.

Yeah, toast, I think you hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately that's a bit more than I was hoping to spend on this particular fix. :-/

Putting some grease on the threads Ave tightening the crank helped with some of the side to side movement. Guess I'll be looking for a new fat bike crank along with that BB...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Race face bottom brackets have aluminum bearings as opposed to the steel of hope, enduro, etc... I have them on a some bikes and am phasing them out. Not the place to try to save $40.00 or a few ounces of weight in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Race face bottom brackets have aluminum bearings as opposed to the steel of hope, enduro, etc... I have them on a some bikes and am phasing them out. Not the place to try to save $40.00 or a few ounces of weight in my opinion.
    Huh? I've never seen any bottom bracket, raceface or otherwise, that uses aluminum bearings.

The raceface bearings are pretty generic. More or less on par with the cheap shimano bb's. You can certainly spend more money and get something with better seals and tighter tolerances. Whether that's worth it vs. just replacing the cheap options more often is debatable.

Seth: bummer that yours is toasted. Tough to tell from the pics, but if a new bb still fits snug around the spindle, you might be ok.

That crank is likely fine. The slack in raceface x-types cranks is taken up with spacers since there is no preload adjuster. Try adding a small spindle spacer and a new BB.

Race Face bb's do not use aluminum bearings, the X-type ones tend to be better the Cinch ones but still not great. FSA are 24mm but they fit different in my experience. Its a wear item and I havent found any that last for ever especially on a fat bike since it doesn't get used in the best of weather conditions.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Ron,

Thanks for the input. Any recommendations? I'm having a tough time finding much in stock. . .

Seth

Assuming its a english threaded raceface BB just order the 68/73 model and reuse the plastic spacer/shield if you cant find the 100 version in stock. You can run without but on a bike that seens the conditions a fatbike does I would want it.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I had this same thought and ordered one up through Wheaton's.