Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

those all are pretty old... the hitchhikers guide is probably the only one still relevant.

do you know where your towel is?

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I'm not sure that "Go Fuck Themselves" is the appropriate way of opining constructively.
    I'm not sure that there is a more raging pseudo intellectual on here than you, but hey, life takes all types

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    good lord man, laws are important and all but they don't connect to lots of other important stuff, like human decency. If your motto is to follow laws, and you always follow laws, that doesn't make you a good human. I mean, it may be a part of being good but FFS, it shouldn't be your motto.
    I feel like that would be covered in some sort of class in law school.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    That's what I'm talking about! I think we are in a similar camp. As someone with BS in earth science I would nerd out on maps hardcore. MSU library used to have big topo sales that were awesome.

I got no dog in this fight but inlaws have a place in steamboat and have spent some time there. A bit too coloradbro for my tastes but that's why I live somewhere else I guess.
    I struggle with marking up maps and books but I like both. At some point I should mark some of the routes I've done but I kind of like having maps without a trace of me on them.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    At some point I should mark some of the routes I've done but I kind of like having maps without a trace of me on them.
    They're maps, not nudey magazines. Just kidding, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The guide appears to drop his inside hand and ski a bit back seat: https://www.steamboatpowdercats.com/...21/bassomatic/
    Oh, come on, everyone drops their inside hand. Just look at my avatar. Elitist!
    Name:  190204155533-marcel-hirscher-slalom-skiing-world-championships-schladming-exlarge-169.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  70.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    They're maps, not nudey magazines. Just kidding, mostly.
    Ha!
    Missed that....

If backcountry skiing guidebooks got things too crowded you should tick off a few routes in this book:

Name:  51eM-EHka2L._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  39.1 KB

Steamboat Powdercats can kindly go fuck themselves

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    .....are you telling me that you have to pay to go to the dorset quarries now?!? that is the absolute suck of the suck. i spent most of my teenage summer days there jumping off buzzards point and "kissing the rock" blazing all day every day.......sad state of affairs if so...... sorry for thread drift

thanx dibs
    Ya bro. 5 bucks a person. 10 a car. We are harvesting the flatlanders for every penny they are worth. I wouldn’t jump in that water now if you payed me either. Fucking nasty. Oh and the cops patrol the shit out of it. No booze no weed. No snookie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cokey McBlowjob View Post
    I'm not sure that there is a more raging pseudo intellectual on here than you, but hey, life takes all types
    But there is
    You

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1605041921.053189.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	347172

anyone want these?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

^^^ if serious, throw them in with the shovel, good to put in camper

yeah buddy
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    If backcountry skiing guidebooks got things too crowded you should tick off a few routes in this book:

Name:  51eM-EHka2L._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  39.1 KB
    Heh, I was wondering if Kelsey would come up in this thread. Say what you will about that guy, but he self-publishes everything, is probably still driving and camping out of his '81 VW Rabbit, and is insanely fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Heh, I was wondering if Kelsey would come up in this thread. Say what you will about that guy, but he self-publishes everything, is probably still driving and camping out of his '81 VW Rabbit, and is insanely fit.
    "Officials at Utah's Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument will no longer sell Kelsey's books. His enthusiastic write-up on the Black Box has helped popularize the route; some 70 search-and-rescues have taken place in the past two decades.

"Michael Kelsey makes things look easy," says Barbara Sharrow, assistant manager for visitors at Escalante. "We find that his books mislead the public." At least one early reviewer of the Slot Canyon Guide sees potential potholes. Steve Brezovec, 30, a canyoneer who read a draft of the book for Kelsey, was shocked that it included a little-known Escalante slot that's regularly choked with impassable 20-foot logjams. If a group enters it in the wrong conditions, Brezovec says, "they'll probably die."

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The guide appears to drop his inside hand and ski a bit back seat: https://www.steamboatpowdercats.com/...21/bassomatic/

Sorry, I have nothing else to offer.
    Fuck this Bass guy and yes he looks like a fucking gaper in that photo!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    All's I knows is if the not so straight shooters book never appeared in the shop
    I'd be able to zipper line with yeti
    And on sumbodys 10% list
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Some of the runs that would be published are extremely dangerous. The patience that the guides use to stay off the slopes until they are ready can not be described in a guidebook. You bet your ass they are doing avy work...just not mitigation.

I've used the publishers other products in CB etc and you can get seriously fucked on some of the lines of you deviate slightly.

Buff Pass is no different. We have rescued a few people already and I would rather it not increase
    you buy the publisher's books but when it comes to your turf the author is a dick.... hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    "Officials at Utah's Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument will no longer sell Kelsey's books. His enthusiastic write-up on the Black Box has helped popularize the route; some 70 search-and-rescues have taken place in the past two decades.

"Michael Kelsey makes things look easy," says Barbara Sharrow, assistant manager for visitors at Escalante. "We find that his books mislead the public." At least one early reviewer of the Slot Canyon Guide sees potential potholes. Steve Brezovec, 30, a canyoneer who read a draft of the book for Kelsey, was shocked that it included a little-known Escalante slot that's regularly choked with impassable 20-foot logjams. If a group enters it in the wrong conditions, Brezovec says, "they'll probably die."
    I have a hard time blaming the guy for other people's stupidity. At this point there's really no excuse for not knowing that serious canyoneering is a very dangerous activity.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    But this all reminds me of the swimming holes in Vermont. Specifically one in Dorset. Now you pay to use what was public. Internet destroyed that for the locals 10 years ago. Now we destroyed it for the out of staters and most of use learned to stop posting the good shit online. That being said... I have a friend that is the owner of a large fly fishing and outdoor company that is local. I don’t take him to a lot of cool places because he won’t do it on purpose but he makes his lively hood off of that.

I think all of the prices on back country everything need to go up. At least for a year or two. And that’s to protect the wilderness. Vermont is trashed from all the out of state people and a lot of instate people that just realized there was a thing called hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the dorset quarry? are you for real. that quarry is on the quick way to manchester from many towns in the albany / saratoga area. It's just not the internet my friend and this bullshit in vermont if something get's used that is literally next to a major road is so fucking stupid

I have a hard time blaming the guy for other people's stupidity. At this point there's really no excuse for not knowing that serious canyoneering is a very dangerous activity.
    no, it kelsey's fault since he insists on using the metric system in all his guidebooks.... I've definitely gotten sandbagged using his books.

C'mon. If you are you going to put a guidebook that could kill someone, try to do it responsibly and with some accuracy. Just like the Buffalo Pass author should. Even it's just for the sake of Search and Rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Where's goldenboy?
    Lurking. Staying the hell away from this.
    Hoping zeedashbo won't shoot me.

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app

brittneys kinda hot though.....so they got that goin for them

My non winter passion has been traversing and looping western ranges using foot, bike, vehicle, thumb, and $ to complete the loop without technology.
    Been doing this 40 years now, and usually go to new ranges however obscure; covered a lot of ground.
    Only beta I want is how to access public land when pretty much surrounded by private.
    The rest is adventure.
    No guidebook.
    No smart phone.
    Map + compass.
    True adventure means minimal beta.
    All western ranges have absorbed an ever increasing influx of use.
    Winter and summer.
    Specially near cities.
    Guidebooks suck.
    Deal with it.
    Don't wanna see anyone?
    Recommend central Nevada in July / August.
    Jimmy
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.