Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    The fact that Buff Pass isn't pay to play blows my mind. And the cat has been out of the bag for nearly a decade. The Grand Mesa is next, along with the Flattops.
    your gonna get simple bent out of shape even more with that

thatd be the reference to the next two places to get fucked hard soon

so the cat service kinda sucks twenty something years ago so it sucks harder today?

they hated a bunch of twenty somethings ruining their flow which is catering to shitty skiers
    we asked them to go faster wanted more runs than they normally provided complained that the lines they showed us sucked
    finally found some fun stuff for us and didn't like that we were having too much fun getting too stupid and being reckless
    that we wouldn't keep our lines close together to "preserve the powder"
    oh well at least after the second or third run they caved and let us smoke weed in the cabin on the way up

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    People who write guide books should be shot.
    Amazing nobody took out Fred Becky when they had the chance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fred-Beckey.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	347093

this is the culmination of years of steamboat locals being holier then thou protecting their stashes.......of meadow skipping bullshit. im all for a guidebook to blow up that area as a big fuck you to the steamboat elitism/hoarding. my mom has lived there for 30 yrs (just passed) and ive tried so hard to like that place as a so called skiers paradise but lets be honest.....the resort sucks.....buff pass is mediocre at best.....and the zirkels are rad but not exactly an easy hit from town.....rabbit ears is lame......and its cold as fuck. I never understood why so many so called "hardcore skiers" call that place home cuz its just the definition of over rated colorado skiing
    bring back the manifesto and fuck flatboat powdercats

Fred Becky told you where but not how.

Many new guidebooks use 3-4 pages to tell you how, when Becky gave the where in one sentence, often without a topo.

I've gone back and forth reading this. But does feel like 1-2 guys make like $20k on this selling some books, and put a good business with a decent number of (seasonal) employees at risk during a financially stressed season due to Covid. Bad karma...

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Fred Becky told you where but not how.

Many new guidebooks use 3-4 pages to tell you how, when Becky gave the where in one sentence, often without a topo.
    So who should we allow to live or die?

Fred Becky, mountain savage with more first ascents in WA, BC, and AK than just about anyone. Live? (well, he's already dead, so that one is easy).

John Baldwin, godfather of Coast Mountain traverses, but also encouraging Seatellites like myself to pillage BC huts and track out the Whistler sidecountry. Live?

Stuart Ruckman, author of Wasatch Ski touring maps (that I found to be extremely helpful when I lived in Utah 20 years ago), and author of other Utah climbing guides. Live?

I think we're supposed to kill all the lawyers, kill em tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Amazing nobody took out Fred Becky when they had the chance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fred-Beckey.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	347093
    I have a feeling Fred would have agreed with me. Something like "they're all a bunch of low skilled pussies nowadays" while drinking out of a recycled McDonald's coffee cup and staring at my girlfriends ass

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Where's goldenboy?

Shall we summon Fritz?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I think we're supposed to kill all the lawyers, kill em tonight.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    this is the culmination of years of steamboat locals being holier then thou protecting their stashes.......of meadow skipping bullshit. im all for a guidebook to blow up that area as a big fuck you to the steamboat elitism/hoarding. my mom has lived there for 30 yrs (just passed) and ive tried so hard to like that place as a so called skiers paradise but lets be honest.....the resort sucks.....buff pass is mediocre at best.....and the zirkels are rad but not exactly an easy hit from town.....rabbit ears is lame......and its cold as fuck. I never understood why so many so called "hardcore skiers" call that place home cuz its just the definition of over rated colorado skiing
    bring back the manifesto and fuck flatboat powdercats
    i thinks yur undersellins the awesomeness that is the james brown soul center of the universes bridge
    and hot chicks doing yoga in the pavalions along the yampa
    but reminded me why i dont go east to ski
    vibes on moms passin away
    and hopes to ski ya again sum times
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

There’s gonna be so much back country gear for sale in three months when all these beaters figure out it’s not easy and they will get sweaty and hot and then cold. Everyone has got to take a breath. Everyone wants to ski. The real skiers will be the only ones to continue.

But this all reminds me of the swimming holes in Vermont. Specifically one in Dorset. Now you pay to use what was public. Internet destroyed that for the locals 10 years ago. Now we destroyed it for the out of staters and most of use learned to stop posting the good shit online. That being said... I have a friend that is the owner of a large fly fishing and outdoor company that is local. I don’t take him to a lot of cool places because he won’t do it on purpose but he makes his lively hood off of that.

I think all of the prices on back country everything need to go up. At least for a year or two. And that’s to protect the wilderness. Vermont is trashed from all the out of state people and a lot of instate people that just realized there was a thing called hiking.

Double the cost of cat skiing. Double the cost of guides. Double the cost of equipment. And I really hate to say it but start charging for SAR and require insurance for back country travel and be able to write a fine. There is too much uneducated stuff going on and the internet makes everyone a 15 minute pro. There needs to be a way to limit people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spoken like an e pro
    joe bro
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I have no dog in this particular fight, but this thread makes me want to start writing and publishing incredibly detailed guidebooks that give away every last detail. No secrets: put it all out in the open.

You have no right to get bent out of shape when someone publicizes ANY area that is accessible to the public at large. The whole notion of preserving a "secret stash" is utterly laughable. You don't have exclusive rights to jack shit unless you own the land or have your exclusive access spelled out in writing. Sorry not sorry.

What is a secret stash is the day of Google Earth.

It ain't about rights, it's about style. Outta town ex-guide blows up a spot using the data he learned on the job. Classy!

Some of you just act like you post hole the skin track of life and are cool with it. "What's your problem bro? It's 2020, this shit is in the guide book. Don't tell me what to do, it's a free country, make another skin track if you don't like it"

My solution, as always: learn to enjoy skiing moguls, tracked pow, crud, chalk, hardpack, and ice.

If there’s pow, fucking awesome. If it has to be pow...all this sad ugly mayhem of burials and lawsuits and stash wars happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    It ain't about rights, it's about style.
    Yes...there is a segment of the population who cannot process this. They crowd surfing lineups catching every wave with stand up paddleboards, they roll coal through downtown with their cummins, they do 30 mph through pedestrians with their ebikes...

It’s a casualty of the post-honor society, where a ~40% bubble of us have collectively decided that traditional social decency is an expression of weakness and wild demonstrations of selfishness are expressions of strength.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 11-10-2020 at 09:40 AM. Reason: I do no english bad wrong word every sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yes...there is a segment of the population who cannot process this. They crowd surfing lineups catching every wave with stand up paddleboards, they roll coal through downtown with their cummins, they do 30 mph through pedestrians with their ebikes...

It’s a casualty of the post-honor society, where a ~40% bubble of us have collectively decided that traditional social decency is an expression weakness and wild demonstrations of selfishness are expressions of strength.
    This place needs more Yeti! I had a conversation about this with a new neighbor of mine who seems...so far...to be a decent person. Twice I saw her garage door open up, she zipped outta the drive doing...I don't know something zippy.

I was walking my dog and a saw here outside. I introduced myself and told her that people in this 'hood don't drive like that. It's not about whether you are gonna get a ticket, I've never seen a cop on my street.

I explained the vibe of the slow roll, dogs of leash, kids on bikes, street hockey, beer drinking in the middle of the street. I told her she could do what she wanted but if she wanted to be friends with her neighbors to chill out.

Oh....'round here they are always hiring for bus drivers with benefits. Hockey goes about 9 months a year. We got that upper midwest hot dish and cheese curd vibe covered....and lots of moguls.

It’s a casualty of the post-honor society, where a ~40% bubble of us have collectively decided that traditional social decency is an expression weakness and wild demonstrations of selfishness are expressions of strength.
    Nailed it.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    all except Danno and MTM and, well, maybe a couple others.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    What is a secret stash is the day of Google Earth.

It ain't about rights, it's about style. Outta town ex-guide blows up a spot using the data he learned on the job. Classy!

Some of you just act like you post hole the skin track of life and are cool with it. "What's your problem bro? It's 2020, this shit is in the guide book. Don't tell me what to do, it's a free country, make another skin track if you don't like it"
    yep.

yep.

put in the work to find cool shit yourself, respect the style of the predecessors, quietly enjoy the fruits of wild earth without writing guidebooks for wannabe-kenobi's.

^^^ wannabe-Kenobi. I laughed.

im jus gonna leave this here
    cause my shits right side ups in this one &
    if ya watch it my godchild might gits his allowance