Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Yeti nailed it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    dude always does
    he tends to dial the frequency lima charlie style that not everyone else gits reception to
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

“I’m totally pro mogul.”

That’s awesome, I didn’t know that still existed. How much do you make from that?

“No, I just...umm...like, I’m for moguls. I’m a mogul advocate. I’m not anti-mogul, I’m pro mogul”

Oh...hmm. Well that’s weird.

Is "style" and "predecessors" universally defined?

My motto, follow laws, don't worry about what someone else is doing unless they are breaking those laws. If you don't like those laws, use the system of government to try to change those laws. Going to be tough to follow this motto since we have killed off all the lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    How lawyerly of you
    He’s been fucking that chicken to death lately.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    the text i got the other day from an og mag said irul can stay
    but tgr would be better without
    dudes clairvoyent or sumthins
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post

My motto, follow laws, don't worry about what someone else is doing unless they are breaking those laws. If you don't like those laws, use the system of government to try to change those laws. Going to be tough to follow this motto since we have killed off all the lawyers.
    do u even GoldenRule, bro? lotta shit head behavior is allowed by law

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blog.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	896.9 KB 
ID:	347128

Your motto sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Your motto sucks.
    i don't like his motto either. what the fuck does one do for fun without breaking laws?
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    i don't like his motto either. what the fuck does one do for fun without breaking laws?
    Bootlick mostly

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yes...there is a segment of the population who cannot process this. They crowd surfing lineups catching every wave with stand up paddleboards, they roll coal through downtown with their cummins, they do 30 mph through pedestrians with their ebikes...

It’s a casualty of the post-honor society, where a ~40% bubble of us have collectively decided that traditional social decency is an expression of weakness and wild demonstrations of selfishness are expressions of strength.
    Give me a fucking break. The righteousness in this thread is boiling over. you are not comparing apples to oranges.

Like no one has ever used a guidebook in here? Every vacation you've ever gone on do you first go to the local tavern to pay your respects to the elders and learn their ways so you can access their trails? Of course not. Is using a guidebook a sign of weakness in your opinion? because from my experience, I'm typically more successful when I have good beta for an objective and I like to be success. Failing sucks, no matter how you slice it.

We are talking about a guidebook for public lands. it's different than posting specific up to date conditions on the internet or your instagram. It doesn't really matter who wrote it because someone was going to write that guidebook eventually.

Fuck your elitism and "holier than thou" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    do u even GoldenRule, bro?
    The guidebook authors are following the Golden Rule. They want more people in the backcountry. They want to expose a wider audience to the sport. Not saying you have to support their cause, but they are doing to others exactly what they want done to themselves.

But it's only "stylish" to rely on older guidebooks, google maps/earth, and the plethora of TRs that already exist on the internet of pretty much every backcountry stash in North America. Guidebook authors are a convenient scape goat for the other reasons the backcountry is getting more crowded.

The problem I see is it used to be if you don't want to see people, go farther. Now when you go farther, you are running into people coming from the other side. There are still places of solitude, they are getting harder to find. It's going to get worse.

The bigger problem is there used to be some intrinsic value and reward for looking at some hills and going to explore them or buying an old USGS quadrant and figuring things out. That is being replaced by how many thumbs up one receives in a digital world. We've turned a corner.

Sure, I've used guidebooks. But I've never bought a guidebook to explore a new place. I've always bought them after finding a place and wanting to know more about it. Good or bad, that model is going away.

Edit, resp to snob:

Well of course we're all NIMBYing here to a degree.

More people in the backcountry is not what anyone wants, except those who can profit from it. The guidebook authors want to profit from book sales and guide gigs and web beta cred or whatever. This is better accepted by area locals when a local long timer draws upon years of firsthand lore to produce a work of art. There are stories worth hearing in the pages, and the (sometimes) discretion to leave the place not quite fully described, as they are more valuable to us all that way.

New bro to the scene writing a how-to is different. Not all modern guide material is like this, but the subject here appears so. It looks shitty to charge in and set up shop selling local lore without having done the time.

/opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    The problem I see is it used to be if you don't want to see people, go farther. Now when you go farther, you are running into people coming from the other side. There are still places of solitude, they are getting harder to find. It's going to get worse.

The bigger problem is there used to be some intrinsic value and reward for looking at some hills and going to explore them or buying an old USGS quadrant and figuring things out. That is being replaced by how many thumbs up one receives in a digital world. We've turned a corner.
    The crowding has more to do with overpopulation and beta on the internet than the publication of a guidebook imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Sure, I've used guidebooks. But I've never bought a guidebook to explore a new place. I've always bought them after finding a place and wanting to know more about it. Good or bad, that model is going away.
    Honestly, I'm just the opposite. When I go to a new place, I like to look over guidebooks, comb the internet for TRs, call buddies that have skied/climbed in the area, etc. Shoot there are a ton of threads of people asking for that specific advice on here. Is it better to do that research on the internet where it's likely free and available to all than it is to use a published guidebook that costs money?

Is the anti-guidebook sentiment in here stem from a fear of change?

For reference, here's the current usage map.

My feelings are somewhere between "100% public land, go pound sand" and "Established commercial permit, be respectful of our interests".

Steamboat sucks and I never understood the appeal. Mountain is flat no two ways about it. Spent a month there in 97, revisited in 2007 for nostalgia, still sucked.

Powder cats was decent in 97 due to novelty and being in my 20’s, sucked in 97 and I’m assuming now it’s cooked with traffic

Place hasn’t been the same since the inferno closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Edit, resp to snob:

Well of course we're all NIMBYing here to a degree.

More people in the backcountry is not what anyone wants, except those who can profit from it. The guidebook authors want to profit from book sales and guide gigs and web beta cred or whatever. This is better accepted by area locals when a local long timer draws upon years of firsthand lore to produce a work of art. There are stories worth hearing in the pages, and the (sometimes) discretion to leave the place not quite fully described, as they are more valuable to us all that way.

New bro to the scene writing a how-to is different. Not all modern guide material is like this, but the subject here appears so. It looks shitty to charge in and set up shop selling local lore without having done the time.

/opinion
    But overall that's just a mute point, because this is America and anyone is welcome to write a book if they choose to do so. Its a shame that no locals stepped up to the plate and thought the "good old ways" would last forever. The powdercats thought they had a monopoly on the powder on these public lands, which is not the case. or maybe it is, i guess we'll see how the lawsuit plays out.

good lord man, laws are important and all but they don't connect to lots of other important stuff, like human decency. If your motto is to follow laws, and you always follow laws, that doesn't make you a good human. I mean, it may be a part of being good but FFS, it shouldn't be your motto.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Steamboat sucks and I never understood the appeal. Mountain is flat no two ways about it. Spent a month there in 97, revisited in 2007 for nostalgia, still sucked.
    Yeah! He's right. Nobody should go there. It sucks donkey balls.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    The crowding has more to do with overpopulation and beta on the internet than the publication of a guidebook imo.

Honestly, I'm just the opposite. When I go to a new place, I like to look over guidebooks, comb the internet for TRs, call buddies that have skied/climbed in the area, etc. Shoot there are a ton of threads of people asking for that specific advice on here. Is it better to do that research on the internet where it's likely free and available to all than it is to use a published guidebook that costs money?

Is the anti-guidebook sentiment in here stem from a fear of change?
    My comment on more people was not in response to guidebook or no guidebook...just that it's happening.

Sounds like we're different. I like pulling the coffee and beer stained gazetteer out of the back of my old Landcruiser and looking at a map to find a place off the beaten path I haven't been and then going there to see what's there. Part of the adventure for me. Others want to research and get the most out of trip with more pre-planning. I pre-plan for trips too but looking back at the places I've gone, I've got more fond memories of the shoot from the hip trips.

I'm not anti-guide book whatsoever. It does ruffle my feathers like many here it seems where a dude shows up to guide for a bit, gleans all the knowledge he can from people that have been doing it for decades, moves home, and writes a guidebook for an area and won't return phone calls to the people who showed him around. I'm not intimate with the situation so maybe that is not what is happening here.

There are people who move through this world with grace. Everyone has a different definition of grace or don't care about it. The dude writing the Buff book doesn't strike me as graceful in this situation from my limited knowledge on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Honestly, I'm just the opposite. When I go to a new place, I like to look over guidebooks, comb the internet for TRs, call buddies that have skied/climbed in the area, etc. Shoot there are a ton of threads of people asking for that specific advice on here.
    Everyone does this. It's hard to believe someone claiming they have never bought a guidebook. I haven't bought a paper map for an area in the US in 20 years. Most of the places I find are due to guidebooks, internet TRs, and looking over online topo and satellite maps. Here's my guidebook collection, most purchased pre-2005. The last one I bought was for the Cordillera Blanca in Peru, which is probably the best one I own.

Name:	20201110_102247.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	347147

Lots of pencil notes on these.

Name:	IMG_8630.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	878.1 KB 
ID:	347150

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    good lord man, laws are important and all but they don't connect to lots of other important stuff, like human decency. If your motto is to follow laws, and you always follow laws, that doesn't make you a good human. I mean, it may be a part of being good but FFS, it shouldn't be your motto.
    Does it bother your soul if someone cuts in line, or do you zen out and let them do what they want. I fall in the later category. Doesn't mean I cut in line or don't try to teach my kids how to be good human beings. But I try not to worry about what others are doing (unless they are breaking a law).

I don't profit off more people in the backcountry, but I have no problem with more people in the backcountry. Our society is not static. More people that enjoy the wilds means it is more likely those wilds will be preserved for future generations.