Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Live2ski, are u still planning to move to SLT? Are there reputable euro diesel mechanics there or nearby?
    Ha, SLT was in the cards before Covid and a disputed election. So all that is up in the air at the moment. My wife was talking to my sister in Kelowna the other day and they hatched up us moving up there for 6 months winter of 2021 to see if my wife can deal with it. So really, I have no idea what will happen in 2021, but good point. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

There's always a 1 ton lol
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Only 650 miles? you must have a heavy foot, our q7 is closer to 700 if its pure highway.
    True and true. You can bank on 650 doing normal life driving. Last summer we got 740 on a flat road trip with 20 miles left on fuel range. I get a kick driving home from the mountain and making it 68 miles on almost 1.5 gallons with the help of decline and moderate mountain driving speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Black Book has made some of their analysis public since covid. 10Nov2020 report. babybear probably has access to better data but what I've read says dealers are making record profits on reduced volumes; i.e., fewer sales at higher prices.
    used car pricing is still elevated but what I was saying is that it's come down from the highs.
    ie it's +20% from last yr but -10% month/month- so still +10% elevated vs typical pricing, but getting a bit better
    The used car dealers have been killing it though! I'm still driving my old volvo bc of it. I want a new one so badly, but I know that I'll pay more than I will in a few months so I just can't do it
    I like threads like this bc I can expand my search criteria which keeps me occupied
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I tend to roadtrip NV/NorCal/UT/ID/WA and usually diesel is same price as reg gas. During the past 5 yrs there have been two periods where diesel was significantly cheaper than RUG in my neck of the woods >50 c/gal.
    Missed this.

I've been toying with the idea of a diesel vw for years, and one of the things in the no column was high fuel prices, but I'll admit that my observation was basically noting the sign price wherever I happened to be rather than actively looking for the best price.

Good to know, thanks.

Diesel engine cars-WTB

Dumb question: what about running biodiesel? There’s a chevron station in Davis ca with a biodiesel pump. In past years, the biodiesel was cheaper per gallon than the regular diesel (i believe it was an 80/20 blend).

what does your car mfg'er say ?

cuz if it fucks up they will check
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think biodiesel is a no go for cars with particulate filters. At least my manual says to run nothing more than B5.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Dumb question: what about running biodiesel? There’s a chevron station in Davis ca with a biodiesel pump. In past years, the biodiesel was cheaper per gallon than the regular diesel (i believe it was an 80/20 blend).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I think biodiesel is a no go for cars with particulate filters. At least my manual says to run nothing more than B5.
    I looked it up for that Davis station. My bad, it was b5. Part of a large research project between UCD and chevron.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    B5 is a common grade in Yurp, so at least some newer euro diesels (eg Sprinter) get warranty voided by >B5. Just car mfgers making life easier for themselves by ignoring NA market reqmts. It’s pretty fucked up, since there are areas in Midwest where B20 is the only grade available. Not to mention pumps that have b20 but aren’t labeled as such. Yet another reason I bought a diesel Transit...and it’s no mystery why Ford marketing dept slapped a big B20 logo on the rear door.

If you wana go down the alternative fuel rabbit hole check out the alternative fuels forum at fred'sTDi

from what I have read the newer/more modern an engine is the more likely it will be to get phucked-up by using alternative fuels

Lots of guys on TheSamba run home-brew BD all the way to pure used kitchen fry oil.

Doubt they care about warranty though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Lots of guys on TheSamba run home-brew BD all the way to pure used kitchen fry oil.

Doubt they care about warranty though.
    A kayak guide used to come up here from oregon and he could make the whole run in an 86 diesel ford van for no fuel cost, he would be towing a trailer with a couple of 50gal drums one full of processed WVO and one with WVO to be processed ... it was a life style