Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Diesel engine cars-WTB

So forever I have wanted a diesel engine car, as they can often get close to 40 mpg on the highway and most of my driving is highway. So now I am looking at 2017/18 Jaguar F Paces as I need room for 2 people up front and 2 big dogs in the back. The reviews have been better than average with the major complaint being the dashboard fucks up. It has a pretty solid 5 year 60k mile warranty that includes servicing the car. The Jeep Grand Cherokee seems to have much worse reliability ratings, but a 3.0 rather than 2.0 liter engine. The Cheyenne is more than I want to pay and the 2013-2015 Audi Q7 also scares me regarding reliability. I have a wagon that I will likely never sell as my beach cruiser / dog mobile, so the BMW 328xd is out for being to similar. We have a nice BMW 4 series, so any normal sedan is out also.
    So what to do? Any suggestions? Trying to keep the price closer to $30k.
    Should I just blow it off and just wait for the new Genesis gas GV70? Love the way it looks and a 2.5liter 300hp engine is appealing for sure. https://www.cars.com/articles/genesi...etitor-429258/
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    So forever I have wanted a diesel engine car, as they can often get close to 40 mpg on the highway
    Why not an efficient gas engine car ?

Most maggots who have met me IRL will testify that I own the most uncool car by TRG standards. 2018 Chevy Cruze. 6MT with a 1.4 turbo gas engine. Gets 46-47 mpg on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Why not an efficient gas engine car ?
    This.

We're currently shopping for a RAV4 hybrid for Mrs C. 40mpg on regular gas, room to fit 2 large dogs, reliable.

OTOH, someone shopping Euro vehicles will probably dismiss a Toyota pretty quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

IME running 01 and 02 VW TDI for business keeping track of expense & doing the CCA write down of the car, when diesal fuel was cheaper than RUG it just made $$$$ sense but not when Diesel cost > RUG. so I suggest you run the figures and look at your cost per KM,

In the golf or jetta the engines liked being run long and hard so run the piss out of them, keep the revs always > 2000 rpm other wise you were just recirculating exhaust gas and plugging up the engine, a lot of salesman ran the TDi, the HW guys I worked with all ran them

the engines were zero clearance so if you forgot to change the timing belt & all the pulleys every 120 thousand klicks you got an expensive boat anchor. i never had any big repair bills but i felt like the big one was not far away

dealer wise I had a great VW dealer who understood diesels but that may not be the case especialy in the USA , becuz a much higher % ( I heard 65%) of VW's purchased in Canada were TDi's than in America where people mostly bought the gassers so the dealers may have more experience up here

When i was in Yurp > 9 out of 10 cars are diesel but N.A. is a place were people run gas engines, sure the small diesel is sexy as hell but might not be the best idea
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Any thoughts on 2019 Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravz5 View Post
    Any thoughts on 2019 Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D?
    Lower HP and fuel mpg estimates compared to other cars, so not on my radar. I did look at the Honda and Toyota, but the CVT is a killer for me. With 180 hp the F Pace it is neutered enough without going full gutless. Plus, they are fugly cars.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

VW Taureg. Buddy has one. Most solid driving SUV that I have driven. All day at 80 plus. Lost some responsiveness with the recall fix. Besides the fix has had no other issues.

Audi TDIs come with a pretty extensive dieselgate warranty. It will cover all emssions components, the turbo, the fuel system and any chech engine light that comes up. That should bring some peace of mind regarding reliabiity.

Some say the Fix totally ruined the larger TDIs. I have a 2015 TDI golf wagon and it drives great. High 40's on the highway is a given, even driving like a bit of a dick.

We have a 2015 Q7 TDI with the fix. it has some transmission lag at low speeds especially when cold but otherwise the fix did not change much. Tows our ~4500lb travel trailer like a champ. MPGS: 28-30 hwy, 20ish in town and 17-20 towing. It drives like the 5500lb tank that it is. I take my e91 325 wagon instead of the Q7 unless I am towing or need the space even though it gets worse highway mpgs and premium vs diesel are similar price.
    Overall I am happy with the diesel but would not recommend for non-towing buyers as the new gas engines get similar mpgs in unloaded scenarios, warm up faster and are likely easier to work on. (no 9qt $100 oil changes either). If you want 40+ mpg highway you need a smaller car. Happy to answer more specific questions as well.
    What do you want this vehicle to do that your current wagon doesn't?

Liv2Ski, as I mentioned in another thread, I loved my Cayenne Diesel. Of all the cars I've owned, and there are many, it's in the top 3 of the cars I wish I had back. In that same thread, I also lamented the Dieselgate fix. But as per usual, another mag chimed in to say that an update fixed much of the issues I hated.

The build quality, comfort, driving dynamics, soundproofing, and haul-ass ability on the highway made it a brilliant vehicle. I drove mine all over the west for skiing and shod it with BFGs and it was nearly unstoppable. As a bonus, it annoyed the Porsche wonks to no end I love that.

If for some reason, you don't want the Cayenne Diesel, any other VAG vehicle with that 3.0L V6 diesel powertrain will get you close. The Audi Q7 will be a larger vehicle, both inside and out, and the Q5 will be smaller than the Cayenne.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8gzUJMa.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	347012

Name:	PA2lp0h.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	347016

Name:	ERO2dr0.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	347023

Name:	zmCQ5oF.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	347024

I hear ya Bob, I may need to pay to play

Fred's TDi page was and might still be the source of info

https://www.tdiclub.com/

Wife loves her diesel ML 250 Bluetec Mercedes. Of course, they ain't cheap to service. But great vehicle for long distance trekking. MPG about 34mpg. That's doing about 70mph on the hwy with a roof top carrier on it.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I have a 535dx I'll sell someone. We're in the process of looking at new rides.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    This.

We're currently shopping for a RAV4 hybrid for Mrs C. 40mpg on regular gas, room to fit 2 large dogs, reliable.

OTOH, someone shopping Euro vehicles will probably dismiss a Toyota pretty quickly.
    Those rav4s and highlanders look sweet and I've been looking to get one for my wife as well. There's just no used market for them yet and that new car price tag is hard to swallow for a rav4

I just sold my 2003 vw golf with 500 000km, just broken in and still getting 60mpg. A little small for the vehicle you're looking for but the 2003 ALH vw Diesel engine is one of the best out there!

For how much you'd have to shell out for a good German diesel, you might as well get a Japanese 4 banger. Especially if you're going small SUV/big wagon. Do they haul? Depends. And last gen Outback H6 even gets decent mileage.
    And absolutely nothing English. A Jag? Stay far away.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Stuck, I need a little more room for the Mrs and I with the 2 big dogs, luggage, etc. Bigger gas SUVs get like 20-22 mpg on the highway and the diesel ones are over 30 mpg in most cases BUT you pay a bunch for them. It is a tough choice. I really did not want to pay $40k for the Cheyenne, but that is my 1st choice. I can get a newer Honda Pilot (right size) for $30-35k, but not really feeling it. I may say fuck it and just keep driving the 2006 V70R with 205k miles on it as my DD until it finally catastrophically fails.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    I just sold my 2003 vw golf with 500 000km, just broken in and still getting 60mpg. A little small for the vehicle you're looking for but the 2003 ALH vw Diesel engine is one of the best out there!
    I forget why but I remember the ALH was considered the best engine in the VW mk4's, listening to the turbo spool up was fun, very nice to drive but those are now almost 20yrs old! I remember the service manager in PG telling me to drive it like a sport car keep ze revs up !

but only 4" of ground clearance I blew a couple of oil pans before i put the skid plate on the car

it should be noted that any diesel is gona be a hard starter in cold, leaving one at trailhead and expecting it to start when you get back after a weekend of skiing could be a maybe, early season bi weatehr change if you still got summer fuel it might not start

heated seats are a must becuz the engine burns so little fuel it might not be making heat on short hop drives they take forever to warm up, my kid had a Webasto block heater on his which is the hot (literally ) setup

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Bigger gas SUVs get like 20-22 mpg on the highway and the diesel ones are over 30 mpg in most cases BUT you pay a bunch for them.
    Have you run the numbers? How many miles a year over how many years to make that diesel pay off in mpg/lower gas costs?

I mean, let's say a difference of 22mpg vs, say, 32mpg. Maybe the 32mpg car costs $10k more. If gas is $3/gallon, you'd have to drive approximately 234,000 miles to break even, if my math is correct.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^ These sort of calcs are why we're going for the hybrid RAV4. Around $30-33K new, AWD, 40mpg. Mrs C's Xterra has about 178K miles, and gets 18mpg. Time to unload it before stuff starts to wear out.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I have a 535dx I'll sell someone. We're in the process of looking at new rides.
    Wagon? I always lusted on those. What's your experience been owning it?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Wagon? I always lusted on those. What's your experience been owning it?
    Nah, not a wagon, sedan, though you could easily get 3 bodies in the trunk.

Other than a sensor fix and a lengthy warranty fix for the exhaust canister, trouble-free. Mountains of torque that make "what gear am I in" an irrelevant statement. We're just looking to swap to a wagon as we have a doggo now we'd like to cart around more easily.

Also what is the price of Diesel and what is it likely to be ?

cost per mile/km is based in large part on fuel costs so good milage is a moot point if the fuel is mo expensive

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^ These sort of calcs are why we're going for the hybrid RAV4. Around $30-33K new, AWD, 40mpg. Mrs C's Xterra has about 178K miles, and gets 18mpg. Time to unload it before stuff starts to wear out.
    We are getting the hybrid AWD* Sienna this spring for similar reasons, god help us. It has a claimed 36mpg, and we need to be able to haul around grandparents, cousins, friends, etc. so the dedicated third row is pretty much a necessity.

*Assuming these will actually exist. Toyota claims they will but they are not showing up as available yet.