The Mormon hand cart tragedy

. . .

My wife has cousins descended on both sides from mormons, some who were handcart pioneers and some who were more well off. She is descended from the non-Mormon branches on both sides.

I've explored the area where the Willie Company tragedy occurred, near the Sweetwater River south of the Wind River Range. Its barren, desolate country, nothing but sage brush and speed goats.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    aint much goin on west
    tween bridgers crib and
    them cottonwoods of the green
    they were life savers in the land of pinon sage and speedgoats
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Prior to the Willie Company departing Nebraska, they met to debate the wisdom of such a late departure. But, because they were unfamiliar with the trail and the climate, they deferred to the church elders. One of the missionaries and sub-captain in the Willie Company, Levi Savage, urged them to spend the winter in Nebraska arguing that a late departure would lead to suffering, sickness and even death. However, all the other church elders argued that the trip should go forward, declaring that the company would be protected by divine intervention.
    And so it was.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    aint much goin on west
    tween bridgers crib and
    them cottonwoods of the green
    they were life savers in the land of pinon sage and speedgoats
    That was some rough history.. I took a train accross Wyoming, Utah and Nevada. I remember looking out the window at the desolation. Thinking about being out there in a wagon. Fuck that. Now you can jump in a car and do 80 from Reno to the LCC Iin 8 hours to catch a good powder day

The Mexican Catholics are tougher.

I know it's BB, but, based on an actual shrine.

mur histories

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

"Fine" = Poop, right?!?!?

Those old timers were tough. I recently read Manly's "Death Valley in 1849." His party traveled that same region with similarly harsh conditions six years earlier (without the snow). Days and days of just about nothing to eat, and Manly was a hunter/scout. Course getting to the Mormon promised land wasn't difficult enough, so he turned it up to 11 continuing west from SLC. Recommended read.

I've heard some tales of the journey west trying to find a route to the coast. I've also read that they pulled handcarts through the Virgin River Gorge from St. George to Mesquite, something that looks almost impossible. Without their effort, we'd have no Cliven Bundy and crew.

yes, all very nice but lest we forget:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ows-110735627/

I believe the photo shows Lee sitting on the edge of his coffin as the firing squad takes aim. Why this photo isn't at Lees Ferry I ask whenever I'm there . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    And so it was.
    heavenly father dont fit the meter
    im not sure mr lee does either
    but

odaat

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    "Fine" = Poop, right?!?!?
    im not at liberty to discuss those particular waters

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    yes, all very nice but lest we forget:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ows-110735627/

I believe the photo shows Lee sitting on the edge of his coffin as the firing squad takes aim. Why this photo isn't at Lees Ferry I ask whenever I'm there . . .
    Fall Guy