Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    to your doctor. tell them that you're flying and would like a script for ambien because you have difficulty sleeping on flights. They might even set you up with a hep c shot if you need (and being a swingin single guy maybe you should get the a or b shot too)

ummmmm gimmie a call later too.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Oh yeah, as far as essentials go....

Condoms. Even if you don't need them you can still throw them at your friends while they are trying to be smoooove with the ladies. (cough Telepath cough)
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Good call, I'll add that to the list.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    Agreed with Yoss theory on being nice in airports my dad who is no slouch bidness traveller lives by the golden rule, be nice to everyone at the airport because they can make your life fucking miserable if they want and can totally fucking style you out if they want to as well.
    Seconded, or thirded, or whatever... I've had plenty of experiences on this, the best one being having the plane door opened right before they pull off the gate to let me on. And the first time they actually checked my ticket was right before I squeezed through the plane door
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

This needs to be a sticky

nice work
    Points on their own sitting way up high

excellent contribution to the collective, you did the thinking so I wouldn't have to...
    think I'd keep the peep in the carry-on (unless its a security no-no), could be crammed into boot w/ socks too?
    fresh duct tape kept on poles for 911 on-hill sticking...
    love to see the fris on the list, but I'm a nut for throwin 'em...
    extra shades of the cheap variety? less worry for travel damage/loss...
    I need an ipod and an account for miles- I'm a no-flyin idiot, heh

a great read, great tips, hope to see ya at one a them stormchasin destinations...

Actually, the duct tape wrapped around broken off pencil is the way to go, not the ski pole. When your poles are all frozen the duct tape is too, and good luck trying to get it to unstick in one piece.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Ummmmm a broken pencil? Jesus dude, that is entierly too expensive and too much weight. You can make little 2x2 packets by just folding the first layer in 2" over onto its glue and then just making enough wraps to get a good amount. Cheap and light.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by hop
    your poles are all froActually, the duct tape wrapped around broken off pencil is the way to go,
    ...in the first aid kit. Standard. I've got a small dry bag with my 1st aid kit, tiny tarp/bivy, food, 2X fire that goes anyware I'm traveling.

good comments! I haven't worked on this in a bit, but I'll try to round out the last couple big sections in the next day or two. Everybody, PLEASE feel free to throw in useful info in the meantime!!!

Thanks Yossarian, excellent thread, wish it was here prior to my most recent ski trip.

I have a few little tidbits to add:

Regarding ski bags: A few years ago I did a trip to Europe with a buddy where we were bringing a lot of gear. We went and bought a tarp and rolled up 3 pairs of skis, 1 snowboard, poles, ice-axes etc like a big burrito and tied webbing around it to make a carrying strap. It came in just under 70 pounds and was checked as a single ski bag.

A skateboard can be a fun thing to have along in the spring, is somewhat of a form of transportation, and best of all can be used to pile all your shit on and drag through airports etc.

A basic tip if you're traveling alone, but easily forgotten when bringing ski gear; make sure you can carry everything at once. Even if your bags all have rollers, you may end up dragging all of your shit through the mud, uphill, and over sharp pointy rocks or leave it sitting in the great wide open as you make a second trip back to claim it.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

bump for a bunch of Section 4; more airport goodies coming very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    Drugs, one word: Ambien
    Three more words for you: Klon-o-pin*

For those over 6' tall, sleeping on long trips is often difficult and air travel can be excruciatingly painful when traveling among the peons. These tiny pills (generic name of clonazepam) have been a life-saver for me. Technically, they're supposed to treat panic-attacks, but .5 mg is perfect for 4-5 hours sleep and 1+ mg will knock you out for a 1000 mile bus trip across Argentina. Unlike most of the competitors, I wake up feeling refreshed, alert, and my mouth is no more dry than after a normal night's sleep.

*From the people that brought you rohypnol...

Frequent Flier Mile Tickets -

For a fee (up to $75) you can have the miles recredited to your account. Like to reserve that ticket to S. America for next year? Make the reservation at the earliest possible time(330 days for the return leg), then credit it back if the season doesn't materialize.

Beware, some airlines now charge a fee for date changes on FF tickets for "partner" airlines. Alaska does this.

Luggage- Northwest and some other airlines are now charging for all baggage over 50lbs on international flights. It's only $25 for 50-70lbs, but that may change.

Airports

PDX- MAX drops you off at the terminal, and takes the same time as driving from downtown on a holiday weekend. It stops running at midnight, so if you've a late return you may be cabbing it.

LAX- Longterm parking at a variety of places. Security at TBIT is a cluster fuck, especially when the Aeroflot steers are queing. The back security stands are best for bag inspection.

S. America-

Net - As Cletus said, net access is plentiful and cheap. Every bus station/airport/etc. as a room of terminals. Class of machine can very, but TGR posting isn't a problem

Money - ATM's are widespread, and on most major networks. There can be connection difficulties with your bank and/or currency withdrawl restrictions. If the transaction doesn't go through try a smaller amount (under US $100). Make sure you call ahead and notify your bank you will be travelling internationally. Otherwise they may refuse all charges and transactions. Including amounts as small as NZ$25
    Elvis has left the building

bump. Keep working beeyatch
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

bump uhhhh YOSS! You ain't done yet dude.

Froz- can you make this a sticky?

tip: Being clean shaven and reasonably dressed can only ease your trip through passport control and customs.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    emphasizing one more time about recent increase in sesitivity to overweight baggage. On a recent trip to Nepal, via Thai air from Bangkok to Khatmandu, I was politely informed that the fee for exceeding the baggage weight was $1100. ! ! !. That's right, US$, not Bhat. Luckily I have rock solid FF status in Star Alliance, of which Thai Air is a member. They waived it.

If you are going on a climbing/mountaineering trip, it is getting increasingly difficult staying under the alloted weight limits.

This is an awesome thread Yossarian.

Okay, someone linked to this thread in response to mine https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36534
    and this is great. Thanks Yossarian. I have a question regarding the ski/snowboard bag size. How do you stay under the 62 linear inches? I just measured my bag and it is about 73x15x7" !!!!. I am also thinking that a lot of the skis you mags use are way longer than my board (which is 159cm). I know it was not a problem with Delta last year except when we came back the bag was somehow "overweight". I am seeing special sporting goods allowences on some airlines, but it is hard to tell if this overides the weight or size limits. Here is a copy of America West which is what I am looking at for the trip I currently need to book. But this looks like a no go since my linear diminsions are over the 80" allowed even with extra fees. Is it really this hard to fly with my gear?

Size Restrictions

Total dimensions for checked bags may not exceed 80 inches (add length + width + height); however each bag greater than 62 inches will be subject to a fee of $80.

Bags greater than 80 inches may not be checked.

Checked Bag Dimensions Fee Per Bag
    Less than 62 inches Free
    62 inches-80 inches $80
    Greater than 80 inches Send via Sports Express or other commercial shipper

Weight Restrictions
    Total weight allotment per checked bag is 100 pounds; however, bags weighing 51 pounds or more are subject to the following fees:

Checked Bag Weight Fee Per Bag
    50 pounds or less Free
    51 pounds to 70 pounds $50
    71 pounds to 100 pounds $80
    More than 100 pounds Send via Sports Express or other commercial shipper

Bags heavier than 100 pounds may not be checked.

Special Items

Ski Equipment*

*One unit of sporting equipment can be checked for free in lieu of one piece of checked baggage with a few exceptions. Sporting equipment that exceeds the number, weight, and size restrictions is subject to excess baggage fees (I am thinking this means it is still a no go at 73x15x7"). Sporting equipment that carries a mandatory charge is listed below.

Ski Equipment:
    Ski equipment may be accepted in the normal free baggage allowance in lieu of a piece of baggage. One unit of ski equipment consists of:
    One pair of skis or one snowboard
    One pair of ski poles
    One pair of ski bindings
    One pair of ski boots
    America West will accept double ski bags, however, the maximum free allowance, per passenger, is one pair of skis, one pair of ski boots, one pair of ski poles and one pair of ski bindings.

The passenger must provide acceptable encasement/packaging for the ski equipment, such as fiberglass or cloth bag to protect the ski equipment and to prevent damage to other bags. (America West may provide plastic ski bags if available). If the ski equipment is not properly packaged/protected, the customer assumes all risk of damage.

Edit: Just took this off American's website
    Item; Allowance/Requirements; Cost; Maximum Size and Weight
    Snowboard; 1 Snowboard with boots; Free in place of one 62 inch bag; 50 lbs 62 inches. There are some baords under 62", but a lot are over and how can you get under 62" for total diminsions when one diminsion is already greater.
    Last edited by Markhpnc; 10-16-2005 at 11:11 PM.

whoops! sorry, I'll finish my thoughts this week. But hey, thanks all, for adding great info. Please don't hold back. The Collectif by definition has more good nowl-ledge than I alone.

sweet, thanks Yoss. Have a nice barfday party?

Mark- They bend space and time to let you bring a long ski bag onto the plane. The difficulty comes in when they unbend it to get the bags off the plane, frequently they go missing.

Stay under the weight restriction and you s/b golden on your ski bags.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Mark, I'd concur with the Yellow Tart, mostly generally usually, weight is all that matters (within reason). If you have a ski/board bag, no one will look twice at the size issue. The only time I've gotten shit for size (instead of weight) was once, traveling with the PM Gear Double Trouble bag, which - while bomber and perfect by all other measures - clocks in as HUGE. I once fit three pairs of skis in there (190cm Tankers, 188cm AK Enemies, and a 184cm 10.EXs) along with other gear. And even then, they eventually let it go, although that might have been the result of my pleasant demeanor and so-suave threads.

Ok well thats good then. Thanks. I was just getting a little sketched because most were supposed to be under 62" and then up to 80" with the extra charges and beyond that not allowed and I would have been around 95" w/ total diminsions. So has anyone flown America West? I would leaving from Raleigh NC and going through Phoenix to Tahoe.

I haven't had any problems with the length of my PM Gear Double Trouble bag that a $20.00 bill waved in front of the red cap (do they still call them red caps?) hasn't solved. I do make sure to keep the weight within limits.
    I ski because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

"This deep snow makes my skis stupid!"

Bump for 2 quick tips. Figured this place is as good as any for this. I'm at Tokyo International (NRT) right now.
    1. There are no ATMs here, so bring cash to exchange.
    2. I was in Terminal 1 for 3 hours this morning just hanging out. There are internet kiosks and shops, but I came over to Terminal 2 and found a free internet station. Great way to kill some time. They also have movie stations here where you can watch them for about $4. Both terminals have showers and day rooms, and there are some really great places to catch a quick nap around here. That's all, if anyone cares.