Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    Liked the 96 so much I'm grabbing the 90 as well....suprise of the year for me.
    I was a CC purchase away from doing the same (but getting 96's since I have 90's), but decided on the Nordica Soul Rider 97, as I wanted something just a bit more playful, and was really enjoying them as tele boards, so I duplicated them in the alpine quiver. To be fair, I have no doubt that some Stance 96's will be in my future quiver however...

Slowroastin - the Stance is a ski that skis pretty true to length, so I would try to demo if you can. I'm glad I went with the 182cm in the 90 and I'm 6', 195# without gear. They have no problems being ridden hard and show no signs of being overpowered. Knowing that, I'm definitely in the NO camp as far as sizing up.
    Gravity. It's the law.

^^^^agree on sizing.

How do these compare to say an enforcer 100?

I personally like the stance 102 in 183 more than the E100 in 186. E100 is versatile, but I kind of view the stance as cross between the E100 and E104, if that makes sense. If you have good technique I think its just as maneuverable as the E104 in bumps and trees, while also being able to “charge” as well as the E100. It’s also a better floated than the E100. Also, the graphics are way cooler in the stance line IMHO. E100 is a more energetic carver (get more energy from the tail out of turns).

I think the stance 102 in 183 is like a slightly toned down, more maneuverable, more woody feeling Mantra 102 (184), with a less metallic feel and more rocker. Really like the ski.

You want the mantra 102. It’s a hattori Hanzo, even on NE ice and refrozen crud. First time i got on them, it had been under 0 degrees for a few days and was windswept with no new snow so super firm and icy. I laid some of the best trenches I’ve ever made and had a 50 ft high trail of cold smoke behind me. Like nothing I’ve ever experienced. I thought I should give them away or I’m going to kill myself, but there was absolutely zero chance of that. After a few days, realized they’re incredibly versatile and can be skied at slower speeds, great in trees and bumps (I sized down to 177), blast through heavy wet snow just as well as they blast through everything else. Only very minor complaint is that sometimes I don’t enjoy the metallic feel, but I don’t notice it now unless it’s super cold (prefer the feel/sound of the bonafide 97, for example, which is also an unbelievably good ski).

One thing about the 102 - it is stiff throughout, but has nice flex - it’s sort of more inclined to flex in the middle (bend in half) rather than just at the tip. I think its how they get it to be so unflappably secure at ridiculously high speeds but also feel forgiving. Love these skis in big tight bumps (again, I sized down).

new ski, but has anyone tried the Praxis Slugger yet, 102 mm as well, and looks to have less tip rocker length
    I/ve only skied my GPO's for the last 5-6 years. so looking for something in the low to mid-100's waist width.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Just picked up the stance 102 in the 190 length. They did not have as much tail rocker as I expected. The tip rocker is interesting, it is kinda low and long. I was thinking about mounting them at +2 because 190 is on the long side for me. Has anymore played with the mounting point on these?

The rocker profile of this is the inverse of a mullet: party in the front, all business in the back. The tips want to slide, smear, pivot, slarve, whatever, but the tails don't like to do anything but carve. I think the ski could use a little less tip rocker, or a little more tail rocker, but as it is now, it feels unbalanced because the "personalities" of the tips and tails are so different.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The rocker profile of this is the inverse of a mullet: party in the front, all business in the back. The tips want to slide, smear, pivot, slarve, whatever, but the tails don't like to do anything but carve. I think the ski could use a little less tip rocker, or a little more tail rocker, but as it is now, it feels unbalanced because the "personalities" of the tips and tails are so different.
    I think Salomon created a really cool and unique ski with the Stance series. They aren't tanks but have some beef and the (relatively) soft flexes seem to match up well with the weights. The 102 is the outlier though, but only because of that tip rocker. I think they should have stuck more to the tip rocker profile of the narrower sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by troth View Post
    Just picked up the stance 102 in the 190 length. They did not have as much tail rocker as I expected. The tip rocker is interesting, it is kinda low and long. I was thinking about mounting them at +2 because 190 is on the long side for me. Has anymore played with the mounting point on these?
    Did you ski them yet?

I had a few days on stance 90s now and found them to be super powerful responsive and dead stable

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    Did you ski them yet?
    Yes, they are a ton of fun. End up with +1 but the recommend line is also good as well. The tips are soft enough that you can bend the ski into a lot of different turn shapes but still burly enough to let them run in crud/chop/whatever. I have a pair of enforcer 104s in 186 and the stance is more stable at speed than the enforcer(not sure how much of this is due to the length differences), the stance has more of a damp feel, if that makes sense.

Yes, they are a ton of fun. End up with +1 but the recommend line is also good as well. The tips are soft enough that you can bend the ski into a lot of different turn shapes but still burly enough to let them run in crud/chop/whatever. I have a pair of enforcer 104s in 186 and the stance is more stable at speed than the enforcer(not sure how much of this is due to the length differences), the stance has more of a damp feel, if that makes sense.
    Thanks this is great to know. I wish they made this ski in a wider platform, but I still want to try.

Thanks this is great to know. I wish they made this ski in a wider platform, but I still want to try.
    Yeah I would be curious to see what a wider stance might be like but Salomon does have the Blank coming out which is 110 but I think it is a bit of a different animal than the stance series.

Out of curiosity why...? I skied the 90 and 96 and loved the ski... They are a great ripping zoomer groomer ski that do ok off piste... If you want a wider version Dynastar and several other companies make a ski that you are asking about and have not sold great... I bought 192 106 Cochises for nothing and there are still LP Pros for the same price on Corbett’s... Stiff, chargey skis with metal do not sell great... Thank god as that is what I like and always get them cheap...

Yeah I would be curious to see what a wider stance might be like but Salomon does have the Blank coming out which is 110 but I think it is a bit of a different animal than the stance series.
    For its target market, the Blank looks great, but for me personally I'd want a longer turn radius. Based on specs and Blister review. 17m radius in 186 and 18m in 194. The Stance at 23m in 183 is perfect for me in this quiver spot. I prefer the 190 stance size over 194 blank size too, especially for bumps. I already have a 98mm and a 105mm ski though, so no need for a Stance 102. Bummer. Still worth a try. I am specially looking for a 110-115mm ski for daily driving, and the Blank will be demoed for sure.

Stance 113. 190cm, 24m radius, same rocker profile as the 102. Possible Unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Out of curiosity why...? I skied the 90 and 96 and loved the ski... They are a great ripping zoomer groomer ski that do ok off piste... If you want a wider version Dynastar and several other companies make a ski that you are asking about and have not sold great... I bought 192 106 Cochises for nothing and there are still LP Pros for the same price on Corbett’s... Stiff, chargey skis with metal do not sell great... Thank god as that is what I like and always get them cheap...

I already have Pro Riders, love them, but I am looking for something better in bumps. Have Menace 98s, but want something more directional and burly. Specifically, I like the Stances shape and rocker profile(different than the thinner stances), but want something 110-115mm underfoot. Picky, I know, but this is TGR..I still will try the 102. But a wider one seems like a nice 2011-2014 Katana replacement.

For its target market, the Blank looks great, but for me personally I'd want a longer turn radius. Based on specs and Blister review. 17m radius in 186 and 18m in 194. The Stance at 23m in 183 is perfect for me in this quiver spot. I prefer the 190 stance size over 194 blank size too, especially for bumps. I already have a 98mm and a 105mm ski though, so no need for a Stance 102. Bummer. Still worth a try. I am specially looking for a 110-115mm ski for daily driving, and the Blank will be demoed for sure.

Stance 113. 190cm, 24m radius, same rocker profile as the 102. Possible Unicorn.

I already have Pro Riders, love them, but I am looking for something better in bumps. Specifically, I like the Stances shape and rocker profile(different than the thinner stances), but want something 110-115mm underfoot. Picky, I know, but this is TGR..I will try the 102.
    Enforcers... Own 90, 94, 104 and 115 and easiest going charging ski I have been on... And they always sell out - killer line...

Enforcers... Own 90, 94, 104 and 115 and easiest going charging ski I have been on... And they always sell out - killer line...

I edited my below post to add my Menace 98s.

Thanks for any info, I appreciate it. Skied the older 193cm 93 and 115 Enforcers. Too long, too soft tip. Had that problem with the Patron. Perfect damp feel and carved amazing tho, I must say. There was a point in the front of the ski that would bend too much for me, and throw me forward in crappy off piste (I ski a lot of that) too often. I heard the newer ones, the ones you listed, have improved that, but that's a must demo based off previous experience. My demo list is huge and growing.

I was recommended the 193 Mindbender 108ti or 191 Katana 108 by a shop in Squaw, but meh idk. Demo list.

The 192 Rustler 11 could be good, now that it seems to have added a 1/4 lb per ski to the layup. I know I'm so picky, but I can feel it !

I edited my below post to add my Menace 98s.

Thanks for any info, I appreciate it. Skied the older 193cm 93 and 115 Enforcers. Too long, too soft tip. Had that problem with the Patron. Perfect damp feel and carved amazing tho, I must say. There was a point in the front of the ski that would bend too much for me, and throw me forward in crappy off piste (I ski a lot of that) too often. I heard the newer ones, the ones you listed, have improved that, but that's a must demo based off previous experience. My demo list is huge and growing.

I was recommended the 193 Mindbender 108ti or 191 Katana 108 by a shop in Squaw, but meh idk. Demo list.

The 192 Rustler 11 could be good, now that it seems to have added a 1/4 lb per ski to the layup. I know I'm so picky, but I can feel it !
    Absolutely hated the Patrons and thought the Mindbenders were ok... My favorite 108 until recently was Wren 108s in a 189 and still love it but dam the 191 Enforcer 104s are fun as shit... Have some time on 108 MFrees and 106 Cochises and dig both but newer Enforcers are no slouches... To me all are better then K2s but opinions are like assholes...

So many good skis and not enough time to ski them all... Will not lie the limited time I had on the 106 Cochises were pretty off the charts... 192 Rustler 11s and 106 Cochises could be the new perfect travel quivers...

Absolutely hated the Patrons and thought the Mindbenders were ok... My favorite 108 until recently was Wren 108s in a 189 and still love it but dam the 191 Enforcer 104s are fun as shit... Have some time on 108 MFrees and 106 Cochises and dig both but newer Enforcers are no slouches... To me all are better then K2s but opinions are like assholes...

So many good skis and not enough time to ski them all... Will not lie the limited time I had on the 106 Cochises were pretty off the charts... 192 Rustler 11s and 106 Cochises could be the new perfect travel quivers...

I miss Wren 108s. I took them for granted, thinking they were too soft snow orientated for 108mm. I could make them work with my current quiver though. I want to try the Wren 110 Pro, but thats not quite what I'm looking for.

I was hand fiddling the 190s MB108ti, Katana 108, and Cochise in a shop yesterday, and the Cochise stood out for sure. Mainly as the Goldilocks ski I’m looking for. Where the Mindbender is too long, and the Katana is too close to the Pro Riders..the Cochise seems in between. Albeit closer to the Katana than the MB108ti. 189.9cm true length on the 192 Cochise is perfect for me too. Blister reviews lead me to the same thought.

I personally liked all the K2 skis that people hated on here. Shreditors/Pettitors, Obsethed, Poachers, Line Blends too. That’s what I learned to ski more seriously on, and it’s stuck with me. When I was under 200lbs, I could rally 179 (181cm true) K2 shreditors almost as hard as my big Billy Goats in sloppy chunder. They were a bit beefier than to Steeple 112s. Center mounted, or close to it. Look at Collin Collins, bigger guy pro skier, absolutely rips on short K2s.. Now that I’m heavier, I can’t go shorter than 185ish though.

My problem with the Rustler 11 and Cochise, is I can't find them on sale cheap enough. I understand why, but as much as I want to build a better quiver, I am limited by my current budget. My quiver would be done with those two tho, that's for sure.
    Last edited by AEV; 05-13-2021 at 09:46 AM.

I don't feel like researching my comment before I make it so take it with a grain of salt... but isn't the blank series a multi radius sidecut kind of like the volkl 3D radius?

I know that salomon athletes are paid to say they like a ski, but every video I've seen from a Solomon athlete skiing the blank, I doesn't look like an overly turny ski that the short radius would imply.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

If SkiBrd likes it, then it can't be ridiculously turny or catchy.

IIRC, there was a video that a Salomon athlete posted though, and a small group of people ridiculed the ski for being turny on said athlete. I personally don't ski the super duper gnar that the professionals do, so I don't think this really applies to me anyways. For general resort freeriding on steeps, it should no doubt be great. I've heard some really good things about the QST lineup in general, and can't imagine Salomon fucking up now.

In the Blister review they say it can feel turny in a few situations, but they said the same thing about the new Katanas, so..

If SkiBrd likes it, then it can't be ridiculously turny or catchy.

IIRC, there was a video that a Salomon athlete posted though, and a small group of people ridiculed the ski for being turny on said athlete. I personally don't ski the super duper gnar that the professionals do, so I don't think this really applies to me anyways. For general resort freeriding on steeps, it should no doubt be great. I've heard some really good things about the QST lineup in general, and can't imagine Salomon fucking up now.

In the Blister review they say it can feel turny in a few situations, but they said the same thing about the new Katanas, so..
    I'm on the blaze 106 and not the katana 108 but the short radius has never been there for me when I didn't want it and always there when I did.

I don't know how that compares to the blank... but it's possible.

I'm also at +2 on the blaze FWIW.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I'm on the blaze 106 and not the katana 108 but the short radius has never been there for me when I didn't want it and always there when I did.

I don't know how that compares to the blank... but it's possible.

I'm also at +2 on the blaze FWIW.

Definitely possible. Super Possible IMO. And I'm even a bit pessimistic in this regard, but I have definitely skied skis with short radius on paper that feel great for long radius turns, and skis with long radius sidecut that feel turny/hooky. I have had a few Bi-Radius skis, but don't know about the triple decker yet.

The older I get the more I realize demoing and local ski shops are so important.

Picked up the Stance 102 in 190cm last spring. Got about 10 days on them in spring conditions and 15 or so this year from ice to deep powder. I've been very pleased with this ski. Im not sure how different the big length is from the shorter ones but these things are freaking guns that can easily handle whatever you throw at them. Solid edge hold but still quite poppy when you get on the tails, great in bumps(if you can handle the speed required) and carve like a mofo as long as you like longer radius turns. I pulled binding from a pair of old school Legend Pros and I'm surprised how they feel like a much friendlier LP. The Stances seem to have not much sidecut underfoot and at low edge angles they like to run straight down the hill just like a LP, get up onto a higher angle and the ski starts to come around to fit the listed 25m radius. But unlike most newer skis I've tried the Stances are totally happy making enormous dh turns straight down the hill. Fantastic ski for for someone who likes to haul ass and skis no matter the conditions. Handled bottomless pow very well, fun and poppy and no nose dive, but is at home in windbuff and firm conditions. The stiff tail combined with quite a bit of tip rocker and long radius almost reminds me as well of the old moment garbones, where you have to be on point with your balance because too far forward and you loop out and too far back you get kicked, but find the sweet spot and they destroy anything in their path. Been happy to grab these every day so far this year knowing they can handle anything I might encounter up on the hill.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect