Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Salomon Stance 102

I picked these up on a whim. The shape looks better than I remember last winter. Flex feels pretty good hand flexing, the tips are softer than I remember so we will see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01356FD0-632A-4ED3-A1F6-41DBAA172A37.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	478.9 KB 
ID:	346460

Name:	ADE74465-C92C-48F2-9BC4-ECE502D48559.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	419.2 KB 
ID:	346461

Name:	4DA0AD5B-D426-41EF-9E3F-D9A43851D135.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	507.5 KB 
ID:	346462
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

That ski rips. Along with the K108, probably my top new pick of the 2020 spring testing sessions.

Really interested in trying out some Stance skis as well. I liked Salomon’s Q series, but always wished I could ski 1 size shorter without over-baking the ski. These might be the ticket for harder snow!
    Gravity. It's the law.

I jumped on the stance as well this year. It was a stand out for me as well this year. Can’t wait to get some more time on them this year.

Looks like a great shape. Dig the tail profile.

Quote Originally Posted by cjump View Post
    I jumped on the stance as well this year. It was a stand out for me as well this year. Can’t wait to get some more time on them this year.
    wait, what year?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Looks like a great shape. Dig the tail profile.
    Echoed.

Also, they should've had that tail on the Q-Labs!

I wish they had a 108mm version. Hopefully next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    wait, what year?
    Last year. �� broken thoughts and a lack of proof reading can make any look dumb. I don’t need much help to be honest.

Made a bunch of laps on the Stance 90 and 96 last Spring. Rock-solid platform. Damp, takes lots of pressure in stride, smooth moves in and out of turns and holds a line really well on smooth or junked-out surfaces. Likes to go fast. Quiet on hard surfaces and inspires confidence. Impressive. Grippy trench-digger when asked with business-like attitude rather than playful. Salmon might have a winner with the Stance series... only lacks a bit of zip at the end of the turn, even when loaded with lots of flex. The 102 might be the daily driver for directional fans West of the Mississippi. Good change of personality for Salomon's ski lineup.
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I wish they had a 108mm version. Hopefully next year.
    Agree something around 110 with this shape would be sweet.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I'll post some thoughts once I spend a few days on them, but I'm pretty excited to try these out. They seem like a great daily driver for the RFV. Lord knows you only need more float than a 102mm underfoot ski with a shitload of tip rocker can provide about twice a decade in Colorado.

Curious how they stack up to Mantra 102

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Curious how they stack up to Mantra 102

That's my question, too. They definitely look cooler. I have some older 187 Bonafide which I like, but don't love. Also have older 190 QLab. If this could give the same gas pedal as the QLab in a more front side ski, it could be the perfect ski to fit the 98mm-102mm slot in my quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    That's my question, too. They definitely look cooler. I have some older 187 Bonafide which I like, but don't love. Also have older 190 QLab. If this could give the same gas pedal as the QLab in a more front side ski, it could be the perfect ski to fit the 98mm-102mm slot in my quiver.
    You’re looking at the wrong 102...try a Mantra M102 191. My 184 M102’s are very reminiscent of a Q-Lab...but with a little looser feel off trail. So good!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    You’re looking at the wrong 102...try a Mantra M102 191. My 184 M102’s are very reminiscent of a Q-Lab...but with a little looser feel off trail. So good!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Yeah, but I don't get Pro Deal on Volkl.

They might be the first pair of skis I own that I put stickers on. Camo on anything (or anyone) is an abomination, IMO.

Or they may get sanded and Krylon'd.

Anybody spent time on these yet this season? Curious to hear some feedback

I have about 8-10 days on my pair of 183's so far. They're mounted on the line with P15's. They're smooth and damp in terms of snow feel. I'm going out to ski them again today, I'll post some more detailed thoughts this evening.

IMHO, they have too much tip rocker (both rise and length) for a ski this skinny. A 102mm underfoot ski should rail hard snow, and these do, if you drive them from a centered stance, but the shovel is so heavily rockered that you really can't ski them aggressively forward, there's just not enough contact with the snow to drive the front of the ski.

For a mixed-conditions, everyday ski that errs more toward charging than playfulness, they're a strong contender, but not quite as frontside/hard snow oriented as I was hoping for.

Maybe I was under the wrong impression about what people use 100mm underfoot skis for, but as someone who hasn't skied anything skinnier than 115mm underfoot for the past 4 or 5 years, I was hoping these would be some Ginsu knives for the boilerplate. Turns out they're more like a Cutco, which isn't a bad thing. An all mountain skis for sure, not a frontside/firm snow specific one.

Have a couple days on the Stance 90's, and they're everything Salomon advertises them to be. Frightening that I'm reaching for these over my Ripsticks... I usually hate skis with metal, but these are not dead-damp. They're quiet, but not like the crypt. Very happy with them.

Also - my first set of Warden 13's on these boards, and I find ZERO flaws with them so far. They ski at least as good as the Attack 13's I have on everything else.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Salomon Stance 102

V
    Last edited by slowroastin; 01-16-2021 at 12:38 AM.

Anybody have more time on these? Local shop has the 96’s on sale. The 102 looks good too. Im assuming its better to size up rather than down given the rocker profile.

Picked up the 96s in a 182 and imo they do not ski short. Granted im on the E.C. but couldn't see me on the 188s. These do everything great for me, damp but lively...good tweener ski for me. Legend 106s for snow days, volkl deacon 84 for firm corduroy.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    Picked up the 96s in a 182 and imo they do not ski short. Granted im on the E.C. but couldn't see me on the 188s. These do everything great for me, damp but lively...good tweener ski for me. Legend 106s for snow days, volkl deacon 84 for firm corduroy.
    I have the stance 96 in 182. Little over 6 ft, 195 lbs (without gear). Skiing them this year only on the east coast.

Great all-around skis. They pretty much do everything well, very nice suspension, enough float i powder, and I don’t find the tail punishing at all. I’d be happy taking them into tight woods, ripping icy/firm groomers, up to 4-5 inches of powder - they do everything very very well. Not the most exciting skis, but on the other hand are easier to ski than others and strong enough to push hard.

Compared to the 183 Bonafide 97, Mantra 102 (177) and new M6 in 184 - the stance 96 is easier to ski. The others have better edge grip and a much higher top end. But they’re also more demanding - the bonafide and M6 are a little harder in bumps, and the Mantra 102 requires a bit more attention. You can relax on the stance 96 and not pay attention and be OK. The others are more “game-on” skis.

If I had to pick one ski out of all of them as my only ski, I might take the 184 M6. But I’d really hate to give up the m102 because I think its just a ridiculously good ski in all conditions - it has a speed limit in that length but there is no reason I need to go more than 50, 60 mph. And I find the M102 to be super maneuverable in bumps, trees, all conditions. Then again I also love my Bonafides and would happily ski them other than in extremely tight trees.

All great skis. The stance is more relaxed than the others while retaining a lot of the benefits, but isn’t quite as exciting and doesn’t have the highest gear that the Völkls and new Bonafide do. If precision is important and you’re a strong advanced skier, I would go Bonafide or Volkls. If you don’t need the highest top end and most precise skis, then the stance would be fine.

If you’re looking at the stance 96, also check out the dynastar m-pro. Took me a while to realize how capable these are. At 186 they float better, are easy to pivot in tight terrain, handle bumps very well and I’d have no issue taking them through any trees.

Liked the 96 so much I'm grabbing the 90 as well....suprise of the year for me.