Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Silver->Turner->Montana Snow Bowl->Lost Trail->Discovery Basin->Maverick Mountain is a great route.
    After we got sick of the big resorts, we did variants of this itinerary for a couple of years.
    I forgot Turner, that's high up on the list for me.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I forgot Turner, that's high up on the list for me.
    I'm still pissed at myself for missing a trip with a buddy that ended up at Turner with like 40 friends, pow, and a keg at bottom of lift. It's pretty cheap to rent too if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    PLEASE No talk of PEBBLE CREEK it blows.

Buster your words on Silverton were an understatement.
    Yup, it's s pretty cool place, imho.

pRay for SNOW my FRIENDS AND if YOU Make pebble let us know we or some of the other assholes will give u a front/backside tour.
    I drive by so often, it's another for which I should make a stop.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Hey buster considering your original list:Kaprun is rather mediocre on the frontside. The back is pretty interesting (supposedly) although only with someone who knows his way around.
    Stubai and pitztal are the typical Austrian glacier experience, plus half of Innsbruck instagramers when it actually snows.
    Since you're in Austria Add the kripp in right conditions ( global warming does not make 600m asl a skiing destination these days, but when it's good it's good. )

Bormio looks good on paper, but apparently everything worthwhile is kind of forbidden (and by forbidden I mean Italian carabinieri forbidden) or maybe it's just what the locals want you to believe.

Livignio is very mellow (a. K. A. Boring) and usually not much snow... really nice place though. .
    Tignes and Val disere is not the experience you're looking for.... terrain is great though.
    I wasn't that impressed with revelstoke, but maybe I'm just not used to the US (yeah yeah I know . 51st friendly neighbor state...) resort experience.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'm pretty easy
    I'd go back to yurp or ak and ain't to picky where
    I'm more in tune with froggy goggles
    Pebs in prime pow conditions or the sames satch stuffs I've been sharing with friends for decades now brings me as much pleasures as a destination just to add to a list
    One of these seasons I'm gonna git my Silverton shit togather and I had the spanser sold on jappow
    Before a global pandemic
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Hey buster considering your original list:Kaprun is rather mediocre on the frontside. The back is pretty interesting (supposedly) although only with someone who knows his way around.

Stubai and pitztal are the typical Austrian glacier experience, plus half of Innsbruck instagramers when it actually snows.
    Since you're in Austria Add the kripp in right conditions ( global warming does not make 600m asl a skiing destination these days, but when it's good it's good. )
    I've never skied any of those big Osterreich glacier places, I just want to ski some to see what it's like. I've read about Krippenstein too.
    Bormio looks good on paper, but apparently everything worthwhile is kind of forbidden (and by forbidden I mean Italian carabinieri forbidden) or maybe it's just what the locals want you to believe.

Livignio is very mellow (a. K. A. Boring) and usually not much snow... really nice place though. .
    I thought Bormio had changed their offpiste rules, similarly for Livigno, so it was accessible. Santa Caterina is right there too.
    Tignes and Val disere is not the experience you're looking for.... terrain is great though.
    I know, I know, but I skied Trois Vallees, St. Anton and Verbier and had a good time, not likely to make either of those a destination of a trip, but it was cool to ski. Thing is, I've wanted to ski Val d'Isere since I was a little kid, home to JCKilly, yknow, plus supposedly awesome sidecountry.
    I wasn't that impressed with revelstoke, but maybe I'm just not used to the US (yeah yeah I know . 51st friendly neighbor state...) resort experience.
    It's just another place I haven't been, it's kind of low on the list.

I'm down for a Queyras trip, though!

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I
    One of these seasons I'm gonna git my Silverton shit togather
    Yeah? Well?

I definitely have some ski life goals. Many of them revolve around skiing with friends I have made on this forum. A small list:

Silverton with Buster.
    Ski Bridger Bowl Ridge with Norseman.
    Rent out Turner Mountain with a bunch of Maggots attending.
    Ski Shames with GfromT.
    Red Mountain > Whitewater > Revelstoke > Rodgers Pass > Kicking Horse > Panorama > Castle > Fernie. Meet/ski with local maggots at each hill.
    Montana & Idaho little hill roadtrip with my wife and various maggot friends.
    3 Months (or however long they'll let a Yankee stay) Living/Working Remote/Skiing in a village in the alps. Ski with Euro mags and immerse in Euro ski culture.
    Ski/Stay with Vendul again.
    Train hop the alps with Buster, perhaps with a few close mags in tow, learning the path of the toque and woolen pants.
    Tour a glacier in the summer with Klar. Help with scientific measurements.
    Ski Couloir Cosmiques in Chamonix.
    La Grave...
    Jackson Hole with Django.
    Lots of days at Schweitzer with the Inland NW crew.
    Taos with the_flying_v.
    Ski at Magic with ECRC haters club.
    New Zealand, at least once.
    Rip groomerz at Sun Valley.
    Ride forbidden pow at The Yellowstone Club with Harry.
    Another week at Golden Alpine Holidays freeride touring camp w/Hoji.
    Cat Skiing in Canada, eh?
    Touring/camping on a glacier in Canada or Alaska and skiing big terrain.
    2 weeks skiing in Banff.
    Ski Washington Pass in winter conditions.
    Ski Harts Pass/Pasayten in winter conditions.
    Ski Fuhrer Finger on Rainier.

I should add Alpental to my list.

TGR has hyped it up like a Frazier Vs. Ali bout, I hope it delivers !

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Big Sky
    Squaw, (or whatever the new PC name will be.)
    Hokkaido
    Dolomites
    Val D' Isere
    Crested Butte
    Jay Peak
    St Moritz
    Portillo
    Courchevel
    Sunday River
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I've skied a number of those areas on your list; Soldier, Pomerelle, Pebble and a number of other tiny/small areas in Idaho, shooting for the Idaho Ski Area Association. You are onto something, for sure. Going to those areas is a blast! Small town ski hills are at the root of skiing and as the ISAA tagline states, they represent the Soul of Skiing. They're fun, very welcoming, many run by volunteers. Pomerelle gets lots of snow and is largely untracked in the trees for days. Granted, they don't have the great terrain that many areas have (although Pebble, if you hike for it, has some fun stuff) but they're not tracked out and the people are great.

Here's some video we shot at Pomerelle a few years ago. Kind of shows what's there.

I hit up Pomerelle on the way to Utah a couple years ago had a great time skiing low angle powder in the trees and no lift lines on a Saturday
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I
    I'm down for a Queyras trip, though!
    Yeah, count me in.

I can understand going where you've never been just to have a look. Hell, I've been to cham and verbier knowing what i'd get into (well not verbier i was young and innocent back then). Luckily I went to Zermatt as a kid so i don't have to go there just for the views...

This thread is fascinating to me. My perspective on this stuff is 180 degrees opposite of most mags. Different strokes for different folks. Hope ya'll get your skiing chores done.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This thread is fascinating to me. My perspective on this stuff is 180 degrees opposite of most mags. Different strokes for different folks. Hope ya'll get your skiing chores done.
    Don’t be shy, share.

Mount Cain

Shames.

Closing day party at Highlands.

Get my daughter to Jackson, a day with heli drops at Silverton.

Ski more at Taos/Santa Fe.

I'd like to do the whole Euro ski experience where you ski from village to village, drinking cool red wine and assorted cheese and sausage plates, finishing the days with Euro disco party's on the patio's of some quaint chalet but that may never happen. I'm ok with that too.

I'm not really a big list person anymore. I barely give a shit these days. Hell, in another 10 years I'll probably hang em up and spend more time in warmer climates.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Don’t be shy, share.

Yeah I'd like to hear where one of the resident cynic pessimists wants to go. Benny is rather dolce vita in that regard.

[QUOTE=raisingarizona13;6124325

I'm not really a big list person anymore. I barely give a shit these days. Hell, in another 10 years I'll probably hang em up and spend more time in warmer climates.[/QUOTE]

That is one of the most interesting things I've heard. How can you just walk away from the thing you love? I mean I'm not a surfer that much and still I would not want to stop. How can you stop doing something you love? Unless you are a wreck and really can't do it anymore.

I mean I can see myself shift towards fun climbing in the future just because I can't push myself anymore, but stopping?

In skiing the whole idea is unfathomable to me.

That is one of the most interesting things I've heard. How can you just walk away from the thing you love? I mean I'm not a surfer that much and still I would not want to stop. How can you stop doing something you love? Unless you are a wreck and really can't do it anymore.
    I get it. Skiing has been the biggest constant in my life for 40 years. It ain't what it used to be. I'm thinking this season will be a mulligan for COVID. After that we'll see. The whole going to the ski area or going to Berthoud just doesn't have the same allure. It has nothing to do will not loving skiing. In someways is has everything to do with loving skiing. I don't want to ruin what it was by polluting my brain with what it has become. I'm gonna try really hard to make it fun and exciting but I'm gonna be honest with myself if it isn't.

Oh, forgot about Taos. Add that to the list.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I'm not a list person either but when you have two kids, job and all that shit and you are getting old....you better prioritize your trips before you die, or just get too old, because otherwise they ain't happening. All the places I listed are just 'would be nice to go to' except Europe, which I purposely turned down many trips to when I was younger, for 'better' BC trips, knowing I'd get to Europe when I was older...

Thanks Buster for the reminder to actively make shit happen in my world.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post

I mean I can see myself shift towards fun climbing in the future just because I can't push myself anymore, but stopping?

In skiing the whole idea is unfathomable to me.
    It's kind of like having an addiction. It can be a burden.
    shit, it's not like an addiction it literally has been one. It's steered my life and decisions for as long as I can remember. that's not a bad thing but I also feel like there's a lot of things I've missed out on because of it. Add in the fact that I'm extremely poor compared to a lot of people on this forum which makes keeping up with the gear, buying season passes and traveling for skiing more of a stressor in my life than it's value as a source of pleasure makes it hard to stay driven for it. I probably won't ever give it up completely but I'm definitely ready to take a few seasons off for the most part. I'd like to put in a good month or two up at Taos over the next bunch of years but keep my season at that. Then head down into the dessert and be warm. I don't like long winters any more, that shit gets old.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I'm not a list person either but when you have two kids, job and all that shit and you are getting old....you better prioritize your trips before you die, or just get too old, because otherwise they ain't happening. All the places I listed are just 'would be nice to go to' except Europe, which I purposely turned down many trips to when I was younger, for 'better' BC trips, knowing I'd get to Europe when I was older...

this is why my main goals are to share places with my daughter. I don't give a crap about myself or personal experiences like I used to.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Oh, forgot about Taos. Add that to the list.
    Put it on the top. Im biased though, it's definitely my favorite place to ski these days.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

The Checklist: What's Yours?

Le Grave

Cham

Whistler

Powder Highway with sleds/Revi/Kicking Horse/Red/etc

Retallack (any of the Canadian Lodges)

Tordrillo, just to get in a heli with wstdeep and TMoe would be amazing, and scary because they know how to get me to safely push my limits more then anyone else I’ve skied with

AK

Taos

Portillo

Japan (Hakuba this time)

Kashmir

Baker on a Baker day

Montana

Silverton

Follow around Norseman at Bridger for a day

Alps, just take my 194 MX98s to their home land and let them run

Call it what you want, I think and dream about where I'd like to go, what I'd like to experience and who would like to go with. That fills a bunch of my random hours. I imagine some people have more fixed goals, others have more wishful dreams (like Mica Creek, ha). So I just wonder what other dreams/plans/imaginations are spinning. Waiting for an invitation is pointless.

But I think I understand Fogsters point. Last year for example was such a shit show at the place I've skied for 40+ years, I only went 8 or 9 times. Or if the cost is just too much whatever the currency. But I'm still dreaming and plotting ways to get around the crowds, the bad vibes and prune the experience down so that there's more joy per hour. That is getting harder.