Quiver Killer/Binding Freedom Mount - Multiple Bindings on the same skis

Howdy Folks!
    I recently scored a deal on a used set of Sick Day 104's last night, and reading all these blister reviews on these, I am fixing to mount them up to both tour on, and ski them in bounds.

I've got Jesters, Kingpins, Pivots, and Radicals available to mount.

I have run a kingpin and pivot on the same ski before as their hole patterns are different enough, but setting forward pressure on the pivot is a real pain. So I was curious if anyone has overlaid a jester/radical?

I would imagine some nerd has put together a spreadsheet they could share, right?!?!?!

Another option would be to get a pair of Tectons, but less desirable.

NOTE: I'd like to use different boots for resort, and touring, but not a hard requirement.

Also open to other options as well that I maybe have not thought of, but not to keen on the shift, and not ready to buy a set of Duke PTs.

Your boot quiver and whether these skis are candidates for midday side country excursions is another consideration.

If your resort boot is alpine & you want a side country option midday, it's a different set of options than (for example) if your inbounds boots are Lange Freetours (or whatever they're calling them this year).

Also, everyone thinks that with inserts, they'll swap binders out depending on the day. No one ends up doing it.

If I were in your situation, it would be either Tectons, Shifts, or CAST.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quiver Killer/Binding Freedom Mount - Multiple Bindings on the same skis

Save the skis and yourself, drill for shifts on the line and forget it. That’s a great setup and well balanced for weight, resort use and side country use.

If you have a long mission and need a pin binding you can mount a Zed or Ion at +1.8cm or -1.5cm with only 4 more inserts.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can snag a deal on some tectons. Anyone had any warranty issues on those with harder skiing?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Your boot quiver and whether these skis are candidates for midday side country excursions is another consideration.

If your resort boot is alpine & you want a side country option midday, it's a different set of options than (for example) if your inbounds boots are Lange Freetours (or whatever they're calling them this year).

Also, everyone thinks that with inserts, they'll swap binders out depending on the day. No one ends up doing it.

If I were in your situation, it would be either Tectons, Shifts, or CAST.

... Thom
    I mean, I most certainly change mine out depending on the day. It's pretty easy. Biggest deterrent on Binding Freedom is what type of binding you put inserts in for. I had some Tyrolia Adrenalines a while back and they were a PITA to change out. Given options like an STH or Shift it's pretty simple to change em out.

I agree that the Shifts achieve most everything you want. If there's any hesitation on retention with the Shift though, CAST or Binding Freedom may still be a viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post

I would imagine some nerd has put together a spreadsheet they could share, right?!?!?!
    On this Google drive there is a pdf called "Compare binding patterns" which is handy for this.

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    On this Google drive there is a pdf called "Compare binding patterns" which is handy for this.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    Yeah, this is exactly what I was looking for, Nerds Rule!

www.experiencedgear.net

Is this really that "bad" of an idea? It seems like it'd make sense depending on the use. For example, you mostly tour but want the option to stick an alpine binding on for a few resort days or as a single ski quiver for traveling purposes? It takes what, 30 min tops to swap out bindings?

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Is this really that "bad" of an idea? It seems like it'd make sense depending on the use. For example, you mostly tour but want the option to stick an alpine binding on for a few resort days or as a single ski quiver for traveling purposes? It takes what, 30 min tops to swap out bindings?
    My take: it's totally reasonable for the kind of use you're describing, but it's enough of a PITA that I'm not inclined to do it on a super regular basis myself. YMMV.

This is exactly what I do. But I would say I only make the switch three or four times a year max. It definitely doesn’t take 30 minutes either...mare like 5-10 depending on the bindings.

With that said, if it was something I had to do once a week, it would get annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinB View Post
    This is exactly what I do. But I would say I only make the switch three or four times a year max. It definitely doesn’t take 30 minutes either...mare like 5-10 depending on the bindings.

With that said, if it was something I had to do once a week, it would get annoying.
    ^^^ this ^^^

Some binders are more fiddly than others. Pivots come to mind. Another is Verticals/Comforts if you use brakes.

It's been too long, but I recall with Verts (and brakes), you have to loosen the horizontal release screw which means resetting upon reinstall. This may have been because of the fore/aft adjustment. It's been quite a while, so I can't say for certain. If it's one thing I hate doing, it's dialing in my horizontal RV.

Sollys,Tyrolias, and most current tech binders are easy-peasy.

If you take time to Vibra-tite, it's another 10 minutes of drying time (and smelling the stink).

Doing it for a trip is about the only time I'm inclined to do it.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Cool, thanks. I'd be going with a STH2/Zed combo so should be pretty easy swapping between the two.

^^^ this ^^^

Some binders are more fiddly than others. Pivots come to mind. Another is Verticals/Comforts if you use brakes.

It's been too long, but I recall with Verts (and brakes), you have to loosen the horizontal release screw which means resetting upon reinstall. This may have been because of the fore/aft adjustment. It's been quite a while, so I can't say for certain. If it's one thing I hate doing, it's dialing in my horizontal RV.

Sollys,Tyrolias, and most current tech binders are easy-peasy.

If you take time to Vibra-tite, it's another 10 minutes of drying time (and smelling the stink).

Doing it for a trip is about the only time I'm inclined to do it.

... Thom
    Thom don't you QK almost all your skis though? IIRC, almost all your listings are QK'd.

I actually have done/do this - Multiple skis mounted for Kingpins so I can swap the single pair of bindings around. With my JJ's mounted with KP and Pivots. Typically if I am doing the swap, I'll crack the screws by hand then unscrew with a cordless drill. For re-mounting, I'll set the cordless drill to the lowest torque setting, then snug up by hand. Typically do this at least the night before in a warm room.

Another thing I've done since I'm swapping so often, is I changed the drive type on the screws from No. 2 Philips to Torx T25, as its way less likely to strip the heads.

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Thom don't you QK almost all your skis though? IIRC, almost all your listings are QK'd.
    I think I'm weaning myself from this, but ya never know ;-)

On some skis I've QK'd, 'coz I was on the fence as to whether I'd use 'em for touring vs. inbounds. On a couple of pairs, I was going back and forth with mount points, so I QK'd them for that purpose.

Speaking of which (shameless plug), I'm gonna put my 2014 BGs (186s) up on Gear Swap. Lots of holes (and if memory serves - QK'd for Pivots @296). The "active" mount is on the line for Wardens at 304 BSL.

Tomorrow or Tuesday is photo day.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Speaking of which (shameless plug), I'm gonna put my 2014 BGs (186s) up on Gear Swap. Lots of holes (and if memory serves - QK'd for Pivots @296). The "active" mount is on the line for Wardens at 304 BSL.

... Thom
    Hmm interesting... i could always use another ski... ill keep my eye out when you post em

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

www.experiencedgear.net

I think I'm weaning myself from this, but ya never know ;-)

On some skis I've QK'd, 'coz I was on the fence as to whether I'd use 'em for touring vs. inbounds. On a couple of pairs, I was going back and forth with mount points, so I QK'd them for that purpose.

... Thom
    I think I bought some 2017 BGs from you? At least they were QK'd for Wardens at 304-305 BSL. I've since moved them (slight regret since I only got one day on them), but I didn't like the loosey goosey feeling on that day.

We happen to have the same BSL. What else you got with Warden's QK'd you'd want to move

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I think I bought some 2017 BGs from you? At least they were QK'd for Wardens at 304-305 BSL. I've since moved them (slight regret since I only got one day on them), but I didn't like the loosey goosey feeling on that day.

We happen to have the same BSL. What else you got with Warden's QK'd you'd want to move
    Damn! What a memory! I used to keep a log of this stuff (who knows why?) and yup, that was me. I'll probably regret selling these. I think folks are right about the 2014 being a more fun powder ski (not as good on hardpack). These 2014s are a bit looser than the ones I sold you however, so you'd probably not like 'em. My justification for selling them? If I have that much remorse, I can always get some Cease & Desists at some point. That's a bigger hole in my quiver than the mid-teen width.

/thread drift

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-16-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    Galibier Design