Tech Bindings for Clydesdales

I'm advising a 6'4" 240lb friend on a touring setup and I'm not sure what to say about a tech binding for a guy that big. I am inclined to race bindings and I know several ~200 lb skiers using speed superlite, etc with no consistent issues. But this guys big, and strong. Not a super hard charger but a good skier who will exert force on the setup.

Does anyone this size have experience with light tech bindings, or any tech bindings besides Shifts etc., they can share?

there are plenty of tech bindings that work for bigger dudes or guys needing high RV's.

start with ATK freeraider14's

Honestly I use Salomon Guardians. I'm 6'6" and 250 w/o gear on. I had Dynafiddle's and didn't like them (didn't spend enough time on them) they felt frail and weak. I know it's not what you're asking for but just what I have found. Binding weight isn't going to make a difference in my set up. I could lose some LB's first

The Salomon mtn is bomber

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

New Duke PTs or CAST system would probably be ideal

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A CAST system is probably your best bet

6’4” and 245. Fritschi Tectons have been great. I’m not jumping off shit but they ski and release like alpine bindings.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

PM Big Steve. I think he's a pretty big guy who tours and knows equipment. However, I don't know if he spends much time on the board anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    PM Big Steve. I think he's a pretty big guy who tours and knows equipment. However, I don't know if he spends much time on the board anymore.
    My sense is that Steve is about endurance missions and that he's easy on gear. Also, he's a fan of Speed Turns, which doesn't fit the OP's buddy's profile.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

ATK FR14
    Does the new Duke come with a tech toe with DIN up to 16?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Thanks guys! keep it coming.

I'm 105kg in boxers, so far about 120 days on Atk Freerider 14 2.0. When I ski with customers, I have also quite heavy backpack. No problems with these bindings.

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I'm 6'2" and my weight ranges from 200-240 lbs depending on the year, time of year, etc.

I'd recommend ATK bindings as a low tech option. Salomon mtn explore or atomic backland have been good to me.

I havent had any issues with dynafit bindings either if your friend wants something with a better lateral release.

I'd also emphasis that you won't get away with skiing AT gear like you do your downhill ski gear. They are just not designed for that abuse.

Don't let your buddy buy plate bindings. That's the biggest waste of money possible. I won't even ski with someone plate bindings because they will be SLOW no matter what (and I'm not particularly fast).

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    ATK FR14
    Does the new Duke come with a tech toe with DIN up to 16?
    It is a tech toe for up and a DIN (alpine) toe for down. Has a toe piece that folds out of the way (or can be removed). DIN 16 for the toe piece. Jester heel like normal alpine binding.

I am in that range and have no problems with SSL2.0s and regular Ion 12s. I am not sure how much difference there is between a weight of 190 and 240 compared to a light guy landing switch off of a 40 footer on the ability of a binding to, well, bind. Force is force. Now, maybe a big guy skiing super aggressively will need to pick a binding more carefully, but I suspect for normal skiers, most bindings are going to be fine.

I am 6'2'' and have a weight of 230 lbs in boxers. I use ATK 14 Freeriders and Beast 14 and Beast 16. I ski rather fast and my skiing style is quite questionable (read: Jerryofthe…). Those bindings all work great for me and I never had any Problems.