The price gouging begins

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

I can tell you that actual cost of goods has increased, yes they will pass this on to the consumer.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

“Begins”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

You misspelled "continues".
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Fuck those tucking fuckers

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

This will backfire and the bike industry will have its tail between its legs in 2021. Thanks Obama

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    This will backfire and the bike industry will have its tail between its legs in 2021. Thanks Obama
    I can only hope that all those new bikes sales this year will result in a plush used bike market in the coming years. I can't imagine everyone will stick with it....

Trails were only really busy around here through June.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I can only hope that all those new bikes sales this year will result in a plush used bike market in the coming years. I can't imagine everyone will stick with it....
    Oh yeah, there is going to be so much barely used shit for sale by the spring.

Retail? Pffft.

Just wait for all of the dentists to bail on their exercise plans.

Just wait until they come up with the idea of "standards" in the bike industry...then we're really in for it!!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

PS: I don't know if they forgot to add it or if it was in a different article, but 2021 Trek's seem about $400 more for their GX offerings that their 2020 models.

EDIT: if I read past the headlines, I see that Trek is mentioned as "no price increase." I dunno if that's just in Euroland, b/c it doesn't seem that way in the U.S.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

how much has pricing gone up in the past 10 years? if that number is very low, then this is the bump to correct it.

If all prices on parts, to the big companies have gone up (shimano, fox, FSA, etc) then yes, increased prices will be passed on.

If the influx of new bikers sticks, this increase makes sense. If not, this will disappear quickly. Components skyrocketed this summer and are still out of stock for many key items

oh no, are bikes going to be expensive now?

This is happening in every industry...
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    oh no, are bikes going to be expensive now?
    Very
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

My 2021 Stumpjumper Evo is worth every penny at 4K. But I did sell my old ride for 3500. The strength of the used market definitely supports some price increases.

"The increase in tariffs to 25% from 10% is particularly painful for the bicycle industry because much of the production comes from China. ... They come on top of the 5.5% to 11% tariffs on bicycles and bicycle parts that were already in place before the start of the trade dispute between the U.S. and China."

"Companies have been looking at shifting production to other locations. But such moves are disruptive to an industry that operates with a three- to six-month time frame between factory order and delivery for parts, he said, and up to 12 months for frames and bikes. When companies shift production, they typically retest products for safety, Mr. Moore said, adding to the expense and delay."

Source: May 17, 2019 WSJ
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/tariffs...-11558108496#:

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Components skyrocketed this summer and are still out of stock for many key items
    The pandemic really slowed down Asian imports this year and when one of the largest bike component makers (Shimano) is based in Japan, you'll see an industry-wide effect. It was amazingly difficult to find a lot of Shimano components this summer. I personally had to track down a bottom bracket, brake lever, HG chain and derailleur this summer, and I was surprised how many places I had to call to find some of those parts. I think late-July to early-August there wasn't a Shimano chain in all of SL valley, at least I couldn't find one.

Just wait, it gets better. At this point most companies are saying something like "if you don't have your preseason order in you won't be receiving 'XX Cool thing' next year, it will be produced to order and a few percent more but there's no more capacity available so there most likely won't be inventory for on time ordering". So, if distributors and shops here aren't ordering it now they probably won't have it in May or June and a lot of them are feeling thunderstruck from this year and won't commit. A lot of stuff will be scarce and prices are up between 10-25% already, before the new tariff pricing hits.