Page 67 of 105 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2624
    no trams for anyone this summer, free or $$ , due to maintenance, right?
    not that I’m disagreeing with any part of “fuck them”.

Can’t argue with you DJ.
    I’m gonna need a really stiff drink before AND after I buy 4 of those fuckers this spring.

can't tell if the fire reported in the woods at jhmr from buckrail and news and guide is legit or april fools.

Yah, fuck em. Conceptually in the past there was a bit of sense of pride and ownership of the resort...picking up a candy wrapper or coffee cup left on the ground in the tram line kinda thing. In short that's gone, now it is just about us defending us from them.

So sad that they can come in and just wreck such an Iconic (hate even using the word properly) place in such a short period of time.

More slow signs will show up next year, run closures because conditions are slippery and dangerous will become the norm instead of a now unpleasant occasional inconvenience because the crowd they are bringing in can't accurately judge if the conditions suit their abilities. Save a trail map from today and pull it out in ten years...greens will be blues and blues will be blacks for the same reasons...protecting the people that should really not even be skiing here in the first place.

Follow up on my granite escapades: I ran into "Granite Ted" today on the Cody hike...he currently sits at 173 laps for the season. Makes my current 111 seem a bit piddly but doesn't diminish the joy from them one bit !

I’m seriously thinking about getting a Ghee season pass since they are throwing in 50% at MC resorts. Don’t know if they did that this season. I haven’t bought a season pass for a few seasons but I really need to get more time on the snow. It’ll probably come out the same cost in the end but feel a little less painful on the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    no trams for anyone this summer, free or $$ , due to maintenance, right?
    not that I’m disagreeing with any part of “fuck them”.
    As a matter of fact, You may be correct.
    Funny thing is, why didn't they do it last year when they had a reason to be closed already?
    But it really begs the question, What do you need to do that takes 3 seasons.

The old tram never once missed a summer due to maintenance, afaik.
    Doing a slack pull and shortening the haul rope didn't take more than a month.
    And it's only 13 years old, wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Can’t argue with you DJ.
    I’m gonna need a really stiff drink before AND after I buy 4 of those fuckers this spring.
    I'm buying.
    Both times.
    The liquor, I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    can't tell if the fire reported in the woods at jhmr from buckrail and news and guide is legit or april fools.
    Oddly, seems real. I'll investigate tomorrow.
    Gaper day used to be strictly daily locals goofing on folks.
    Since the Resort officially signed on and kinda co-opted it, most hard locals eschew it now. It's kinda poserish anymore.
    But for those looking for any reason to dress up and drink on the hill, well, there you are. Saw a handful of dressed up fools absolutely hammering on the mank today, so there was that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Bulletproof turned to CornBurg, USA by 10:30 and the kicker offa the Hoback roller is in prime form. 8 chairs for 20k in 3 hrs. ski-on everything...lotsa safety discussions.

Missed yas NY...

Yup, wstdeep, Yup. It's a sad state of affairs. We just steel up and plow the pow.

The spring breakers were out in force.

Oh, and also, no Farmer's breakfast for 100 day skiers this year.

In lieu of that ya get a 20 oz. Yeti Rambler mug. Yeah, the one that has a product recall on it...
    And a 100 day sticker and a patch. Their patches suck. It could be a cool seasonal thing but instead it's the same shot of the red box. And in the tiniest thread print available, your accomplishment is shown - 100 days. Fucking JH marketing blows.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Has it occurred to you that February was a record month for snow and that March will likely be in the 5 lowest snowfall seasons recorded?
    A solid winter where we got strong on decent conditions early, got pownded once we were on it, and great coverage to hold out and have a healthy corn bounty for weeks with OB off the charts for stability.
    Stellar season for around 500"; which we should crest this week.

What happened with this? At Casper today

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    As a matter of fact, You may be correct.
    Funny thing is, why didn't they do it last year when they had a reason to be closed already?
    The story is that they needed *people* from Switzerland here to do some special work, and the people couldn't get in due to COVID.

For whatever that is worth....

Agree with you on all points, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post

Drunks throwing snowballs at people on the lift.

Most of you don’t even ski inbounds what does the trail map matter?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post

Now that's some crazy shit right there. Never seen anything like that happen on the hill.
    Honestly, I gotta believe there's a lotta non-local influence in that. Most locs don't wanna antagonize the workers.
    Obviously goofing off with folks is one thing, making them angry enough to wanna throw down is not a viable approach to partying. And old man Kemmerer is proud of his Security force; Maybe the only thing more ignorant than the speed wranglers.

Gaper day used to involve gang banging slopes with 60 of us completely skiing like beginners in tough terrain, having flip contests beneath the box in Thunder Bumps and a pony keg beneath the Wall of Voodoo.
    JH needs a soul injection to vaccinate against the pussification invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    The story is that they needed *people* from Switzerland here to do some special work, and the people couldn't get in due to COVID

For whatever that is worth....

Agree with you on all points, as always.
    Well hell, that does make sense.
    Not sure what special issues they had but don't doubt that. They could fuck up a free meal.
    The last actual engineer at the tram was cut loose many years ago. He'll be supervising the installation of the new gondola going in at Snow King this off season.
    He shoulda stayed the mtn. mgr. at JH. It woulda been the place we wish for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    My interest in what happened yesterday after I split is absolutely piqued.
    Will report...

DJ, All being said we had a wonderful first day ay JH, the Niblets(tm) delivered a tasty meal as promised. Never under estimate the venality of management, but in the end, it's the snow and the mountain that count....and that amazing February!!. Sorry we missed you, we gave the pack of fomites at the bottom of Casper a wide birth. Ski you next year, Pomy perhaps or Lost Trail maybe Kelly. Finish strong and have a great summer.

Gaper day used to involve gang banging slopes with 60 of us completely skiing like beginners in tough terrain, having flip contests beneath the box in Thunder Bumps and a pony keg beneath the Wall of Voodoo.
    JH needs a soul injection to vaccinate against the pussification invasion.

Yes. Old school. On thunder bumps. Back when it had bumps.
    . . .

Hit Twin Slides yesterday around 5 pm, man it was warm. Nothing like slushy, cornish evening after work snow. Still plenty of snow out there. Looks like someone ride either a sled or timber sled right up the face of little Tuckermans, hard to see in the picture. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7827.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	370074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7826.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	370075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7819.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	370076

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So how do ya'll feel about the changes coming to Snowking?

I'm indifferent but I don't live there. Some of the upgrades do seem awfully ambitious to me for the little town hill but I dunno.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Yes. Old school. On thunder bumps. Back when it had bumps.
    They don't let the bumps develop any longer on Thunder? I guess it makes sense from managements perspective but dang.....

I've been following this thread all season and the more and more I read the less and less I miss the place and I no longer doubt my decisions for leaving. that valley is just too damn stressful for us poor folk.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

um to quote the bro. 'holy shit'. That fire was real

https://www.reddit.com/r/skiing/comm..._jackson_hole/

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    So how do ya'll feel about the changes coming to Snowking?

I'm indifferent but I don't live there. Some of the upgrades do seem awfully ambitious to me for the little town hill but I dunno.
    There is a relatively small, but a very vocal, group that has held this up for years because they like accessing Snow King for free by hiking and are ultimately worried they will lose this access. I find this amusing since they are blatantly just trying to mooch Snow King's grooming and infrastructure as there are literally thousands of other runs they could do this at in the valley but they aren't groomed or avi controlled. Otherwise, I don't think anyone really cares that much. Snow King will never be the draw, but I do think the backside development will actually make it a relatively nice place to ski and not just east coast conditions all winter, and a restaurant at the top would be pretty neat. They already have a building up there that has basically sat unused for the 15 years I've been here.
    Live Free or Die

um to quote the bro. 'holy shit'. That fire was real

https://www.reddit.com/r/skiing/comm..._jackson_hole/
    The ghost of RJ.

I thought it was gaper fools. Apparently it was just fools!
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    They don't let the bumps develop any longer on Thunder?
    It's still bumpy. Only groomed a few times/season

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    There is a relatively small, but a very vocal, group that has held this up for years because they like accessing Snow King for free by hiking and are ultimately worried they will lose this access. I find this amusing since they are blatantly just trying to mooch Snow King's grooming and infrastructure as there are literally thousands of other runs they could do this at in the valley but they aren't groomed or avi controlled. Otherwise, I don't think anyone really cares that much. Snow King will never be the draw, but I do think the backside development will actually make it a relatively nice place to ski and not just east coast conditions all winter, and a restaurant at the top would be pretty neat. They already have a building up there that has basically sat unused for the 15 years I've been here.
    TBH I think there is a mischaracterization. I'm sure there are people who just want access for free.

However, there are many of us feel that the development could have been done in a different way — most notably without a really wide road cutting back and forth across the mountain. Ask Rod Newcomb & Bill Briggs their opinions.

I support paying for uphill access (*snowmaking* is reason enough, esp with our low snow early season in town).

It's interesting that they basically got everything they asked for, despite a large amount of public feedback.

Also, the lift on the backside.... WTF? There's barely any snow there. That lift would NOT be approved in Europe....... seems likely there will not be any snow at that elevation/aspect within 5-10 years.

http://snowbrains.com/gaper-day-fire...-hole-wyoming/

To celebrate "Gaper Day" J-hole locals go out and light tree's on fire? WTF? It sounds like they've become what they are celebrating. Interesting vibe you have going on up there.

So much angst in North Alabama, my favorite thread, just for the meltz
    crab in my shoe mouth

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Thanks all for the vax updates, seems like we're close to getting shots for all who will have it. Git sum!

I made a midnight ride to SLC to ski with some mags and had a great shebang with Skifishbum, Telefreewasatch, Happytimefunbox, Schindlerpiste and a secret PNW special weapons unit.
    Left at 2 am monday and didn't see a single car for 60 miles, only four between here and IF. Cakewalk.
    Had to detour off hwy. at Chubbuck only to see 6 troopers and the dead horse in the road. That sucked.

Skied Solitude and Alta for the wins. And winds. Kinda felt like home.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Safety 3rd.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    didnt suck thanks fer comin down
    next season its on yo turf
    and theyre will be bowling

"like freaks of feathers we all flock togther"
    and im still chucklin bout bob space invading ya
    sans chocolate
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno