Page 1 of 105 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21 ++GT, KC, PC & SK

ATLANTIS, SHANGRI-LA, CAMELOT, JACKSON HOLE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome one and all to Ground Zero for the 2020-2021 ski season. I hope all mags are safe, healthy and jonesing for their ski fix. With any luck, we'll ski many of you soon.

For skiers it's been a tough time what with losing the end of last season and the looming issues of this next one.
    It's been really easy to feel a bit down on the upcoming season and hard to stay positive.

I try to look, listen and consider the situation all over the country and I feel fairly confident that this winter at the Village will be better than most.

It's a challenge to compare situations as all of our home mountains are so different.

Regardless of size, location or vibe, they all have their charms.

Charms - the power or quality of giving delight or arousing admiration...
    Now let me tell ya about the charms of Teton Village.

1. The Challenge Charm -
    This is what JH has always been known for. Roughly half the in-bounds acreage is Mid advanced to High expert.
    The whole mountain is tilted, hardly a flat spot bigger than a half acre. If you want to get vertical, there's a LOT of that here.
    Some are short shots at 60+ degrees, most are longer, in the 35-50 degree range.

That's the open stuff. We have a few closed ares that will open with enough coverage and they can get as vert as a cliff drop/huck.

From tight steep trees, to cliffs and 4 story granite buttresses, we have something to throw you off of...

2. The Snow Quality Charm- For a variety of reasons, JH gets some of the best snow on the continent.
    Our weather tracks predominantly from the SW but any storm making landfall between San Francisco and Seattle is likely to brush us if not slam us directly.

If a SW'erly storm hits the Snake river plain in Spudrovia, it'll hit us 99/100 times.
    But it's the More NW storms that tend to give us the big blower pow systems, just less frequently.
    This season's La Nina may be good for us as the trend is for a big winter when that materializes; El Ninos, less so.
    Our snow averages between 8-11% snow/water equivalent. 8 is light for us, blower pow. We average about 450" in any season, with a 600" season every 3-7 years; with luck, multiples...

3. The Vibe Charm - Teton village exudes a feeling of really being in the mix. Although it's Wyoming and we're mostly free and easy, you can tell there's a sense of seriousness.
    Standing on the tram dock at 6:25 am on a 19" overnight dump? OMG the giddiness of the first box team is contagious.
    But about 8:45 shit gets real, Locs start tightening up the gear, loosening up limbs and pleasantries fall off.
    It's every man, woman and kid for themselves. I have seen dads full on ditch the family upon exiting the box.
    Depending on their gear, I've taken a few who got ditched for a more epic first trax run than their SO. Then accept some gratitude and roll into the white.

4. The Mountain Charm - The Big One - You can ski the Sublette Ridge from 10,450' summit down to 6,311' base, about 60%expert and 40% advanced and never hit a flat spot. I'm not sure there are any other 4k exp. runs around, mebbe.

Only 2500 acres inbounds, the villy is not as broad as many western ski areas. Just taller. Not short and wide but tall and stout, with attitude.
    An attitude that says ' I dare you '. To ski better, go faster, launch bigger.

A true expert skier can ski almost anywhere on this mountain and be happy.

The lesser terrain has so many variables that make it great...nary a grove of trees that are unskiable, car sized rocks are scattered all over the lower mtn. from millenia of peeling offa the Crags and Casper Bowl, mini-ridges, gullies, boulder fields, and all of it under a soft blanket of white silk.

5. The Boundary Charm - In 1999 the area boundaries were opened and the surrounding Gazillion acres of the southern half of the Tetons became easily accessible from the summit.
    From increasingly popular sidecountry runs to big mountain test pieces for the Master level experts, (Like SkiJunky, Babybear's hubby.)
    Many of the younger devil dogs will head up and out first thing on any good day, snowy or sunny. Kicking around the side/backcountry at the Village is an eye opening experience for anyone who has not ducked a rope or slid thru a gate.

6. The Risk Charm - This place can be really dangerous. Like our beloved Bucking Bronc 'Steamboat', you gotta respect it. It will kick your ass. It can Kill You.
    You would not be the first.
    Many skiers prefer a chilly willy day but almost all want to get better, go faster, ski harder. Do that here and you'll swear you're ski life changed with the experience.
    If you ever wanted to push it, well then, we welcome you. Charge dog!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	high risk.jpg 
Views:	22617 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	346163 1/11/2020, about 10 days of uncommonly light and deep storminess elevated the concern. Of course I went.

Name:	sij msg..jpg 
Views:	16601 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	346164 This is printed on a piece of 4x6 plywood above the tram dock; except for the Bootfitting/hostelx plug... Rest peacefully, Stephen. The ski bum gene pool for the Vill lost a solid provider this summer. I will turn and burn for you my lost friend.

7. The Racing Charm - Simply put, this place offers some of the best groomers one could ask for.
    Uber consistency in smoothness, Major league visibility, easily avoidable speed wranglers and fast chairs mean mega laps at superschnell.
    Racing the Tram: Either ski the bowl and rip the groomers to the base, fast would be 4k vert/4 miles in about 5 minutes or go off piste and crush a lower face.
    Catching the same car you just got off of at the top, multiple times a day is a rush that never gets old.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    These are the things that have kept me here in da Hole for 31 years now.
    They've always been here.

I was just LUCKY enough to land here, now howzabout you?

<strong><em>

Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 11-07-2020 at 08:06 PM.

Awesomely put per usual DJ! Will be here in spirit until early Dec then here in body the rest of the winter. Can't wait
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Thank you my friend.

And thank you for introducing me to this surreal little corner of the webz.

Ski ya soon.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'm still trying to figure out how's comes it took yur aged ski bum ass so long to find us
    And how I'll ski ya if the opportunity and preparation result in such blessings
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how's comes it took yur aged ski bum ass so long to find us
    And how I'll ski ya if the opportunity and preparation result in such blessings
    SFB - you are my good ski bum friend. Thank you for taking a chance on me for BBIMT18.

I avoided all things TGR as I stand on the other side of the fence from the Jboyz. Ultimately though, I realized there was a lot to offer me here; and maybe I could give a little back.

God knows I ain't got much, so that's why I try and edumacate the masses on what is great about my hill and home.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are expecting a mid january visit from the PNW crew. All have expressed a desire for you to come up to rip around. Maybe JH, or Pebble...

Djongo...1989? That was my first season also. We had to have bumped into each other. There was only like 50 guys and 3 girls living there then.

Reports from 'Ghee and surrounding areas shall follow

^^^^^^Yesssss!

All along the Watchtower, Princes kept the view...

The crew at GT is solid and enviable, Man the post!

Hopefully Sander will kick out some Jams from Pebble Crick; The SLC boyz floated some great pics from there last season. PC, the hidden gem in the gem state.

And with LittleBigLost carrying the torch for Kelly Canyon, we have a solid line of Powder commandos ready to get some.

Then we got our secret weapon 2BJenny in her ghillie suit, watching the NW flank.

With a new WMD parked to the east, we are good to go.

Name:	Hollywood.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	346222
    Hollywood Howard Henderson JHAF RIP

Yesssss! This is just what I needed to get more excited about this season. Thank you!! Let it snow!!

Hope it goes off!!!

Fingers crossed I can make it out to Jackson again this winter and chase you and a few others around the mountain. Suggest anyone who hasn't yet, do so and take up Djongo on his hospitality...he will show you a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I feel fairly confident that this winter at the Village will be better than most.
    Hard to believe it can get any better then last year. But that's what I've been saying every year for the last few years. Bring it on!

Hope to be able to post some stoke here this year.

May Ullr smile upon you and bestow his bounty on the Tetons.

Time to tune the skis.

New thread, new season, same vibes! Great work Djongo- cannot wait to come up in early February for a visit from Steamboat. Stoked to be there in that special early morning tram line on a deep day!

New thread, start of a new season. Hopefully only a few weeks out from having skis on our feet, although I got the x-country skis out last week but it was a bit on the thin side. Decided not to get a pass this year, first time in years. 100% touring this season. Will miss the Trap for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This still the thread for those of us on the right side of the Potato Curtain as well?

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    This still the thread for those of us on the right side of the Potato Curtain as well?
    Hellz yeah!!!!! and we expect you to bring your usual level of high quality Stoke and pics.
    The diving board pic was stellar. Wall worthy.

I suspect the Targhee crew is thicker and sicker than you all let on. Low pro but down to let 'em go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're gonna have a get together here with a few traveling mag gypsies during the middle 2 weeks of January. Anyone thinking on a trip out, that's gonna be a cherry time, and all youse guys/gals are welcome.

Bout damn time this thread kicked off!

Y'all got great tits. I see them from over here, lightly goosebumped behind a sheer sparkly top, elegant and intriguing, perfect relief.

Wanna come play but cooties might spook me away. We'll see.

Thanks for getting it going, DJ. Been a while! Let’s catch up soon!

Stoke meter starting to climb with this new thread (thanks DJ!), weekend forecast, and taking ski gear tubs out of garage.
    I heard this morning tram capacity will be approx. 45%.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Y'all got great tits. I see them from over here, lightly goosebumped behind a sheer sparkly top, elegant and intriguing, perfect relief.

Wanna come play but cooties might spook me away. We'll see.
    Holy shit did that get my brain racing! NOICE!

We'd be amped to have you and if you were inclined to drive, You could stay at my place, park offstreet, plug in, Yada. And SVS can vouch for the Motel6 as a decent alternative too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Schverte' - we gonna ski some this season, hows dat lego?

Parvo - Laughing at ski tubs...I bet there's 50 million dollars of gear in tubs in this valley.
    Dang 45%, Might stop getting on last and start racing for the front so as to keep the air blowing past me.

Good to hear everyone clicking in and ready to get on the clock.

I'm Lexi and I approve the stoke in this thread!

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

Hey LB! Hope to fish soon!

DJ - knee fuckin sucks. Gotta get sliced at some point. Will see how it holds up early. If I can’t make it happen...winter slice and dice. Hows your knee?
    Let’s have a porch drink to discuss soon.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by schwerty; 11-05-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Djongo...1989? That was my first season also. We had to have bumped into each other. There was only like 50 guys and 3 girls living there then.
    I was out there that winter - '88/'89 worked at the parking lot gas station, made sandwiches, did not realize at the time that it was a "mountain operation" and was granted the "red pass" - took me a few weeks to then figure out I could get on first trams no questions asked...yeah, pretty good winter, from memory i think we just got over 500"...

Been back several times, and am thinking about a visit during kings and queens...will keep this thread posted

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    ^^^^^^Yesssss!

All along the Watchtower, Princes kept the view...

The crew at GT is solid and enviable, Man the post!

Hopefully Sander will kick out some Jams from Pebble Crick; The SLC boyz floated some great pics from there last season. PC, the hidden gem in the gem state.

And with LittleBigLost carrying the torch for Kelly Canyon, we have a solid line of Powder commandos ready to get some.

Then we got our secret weapon 2BJenny in her ghillie suit, watching the NW flank.

With a new WMD parked to the east, we are good to go.
    Checking in! Things quite on this front, but ready for this storm coming in this weekend.

who's the culprit?

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 9.59.39 AM.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	863.8 KB 
ID:	346363
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

Been so long since I belong here
    Ever since i left my way
    Still I like to ski beside you
    So, tell me, can I slay?

Been so long since I turned off around Burley and kept the sled pointed east, since 1994 for us. God I have so many memories of blaster storms shutting stuff down, hunkering down in the HostelX, stumbling through howler stormblasts to get food at the Moose or coffee at the Vuarnet. Hiking the headwall and yeah, we did a tour out from 4 shadows, Cody Bowl, standing up on top of Green River watching other k00ks slashing the windows out on No Name.

I'll be rolling through around the beginning of March. I've got no passes this year, but maybe this is the year to return?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<