Page 81 of 105 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2624
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    it feels like a train speeding to a washed out bridge and no way way to hit the brakes.
    It really does. I tilt back and forth on my feelings about this pretty much multiple times a day depending on whether I'm looking out the front window and see it coming, or look out the side and enjoy the view.
    Live Free or Die

For me, alas, it has been akin to a marriage.

She's beautiful, everyone wants her and her magnetism and sex appeal is undeniable.
    But she's got issues, serious ones.
    I've been able to see past them until lately.
    She's still amazing, but now I'm pretty sure she's crazy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've kinda known this train was gonna crash for a while now. I was really hoping jumping off wouldn't be so painful. With a lotta luck, I'll find a soft spot to aim for.

I moved here straight out of college in '16 thinking this was "the place". Sad that feeling has since faded. I've got a few more years of the big red box of fun in me, but talk about an "expiration date" really hits home in the worst kind of way.

Thanks forthetrees for giving this stoke thread a breath of fresh air. Here's a dump of some memories from last season that make this place very difficult to give up on...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	379271

Name:	IMG_2777.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	379272

Name:	IMG_0344.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	379273

Name:	IMG_2794.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	379274

Name:	IMG_0607.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	379275

Name:	DSC02712.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	379276

Name:	DSC02719-3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	379277

Name:	DSC02693.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	379278

Name:	DSC02405.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	704.5 KB 
ID:	379279
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Vibes to all you folks and I understand. It’s happening everywhere. But, it’s been a dry and hot summer. Maybe a little mediocre stoke is all we need to give a small bump in morale and remember what your home is all about? So many good memories from your back yard…

Attachment 379208
    Attachment 379209
    Attachment 379210
    Attachment 379211
    Attachment 379212
    Attachment 379214
    Attachment 379215
    Attachment 379216
    Attachment 379217
    Attachment 379218
    Attachment 379219
    Attachment 379220Attachment 379221
    Attachment 379222
    Attachment 379223
    Attachment 379224
    w00000t.
    Bravo.

Condolences for you Tetonistas.

It may have been a good run with a hot bitch, but maybe the ugly ducklings aren't so ugly after all.
    There's a place for you, keep looking and you'll find it. Maybe Yurp, maybe Dayton, WA, maybe North Powder, OR or Poncha Springs CO or South Fork or Creede.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I think you guys are expressing how a lot of people in a lot of mountain towns are feeling about now. Its not so much that it snuck up on us, more that the place of change has been so rapid the last couple of years.

Community involvement is great and apathy is the enemy. The problem is that sometimes the taste left in your mouth after you realize just how much momentum there is in the wrong direction is just a bit to bitter. It wears you down.

Personally, I'm lucky that I got my foot in the homeownership door during the last downturn, I own a business that benefits from the growth, I has other passions besides lift served skiing and I haven't figured out and better alternatives.

There is a public hearing is a week or some regarding a completely unnecessary Highway 40 bypass that could go through my backyard. I don't imagine I'm gonna be quiet at that one.

That Hwy 40 bypass should be a goddam tunnel.

Great stoke Bronic, that video is the perfect essence of POW skiing here.
    Man, I have miles of that and many thousands of turns, just like those.

I try not to complain.

Tittaaaaaaaayyyyzzzzz!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Tittaaaaaaaayyyyzzzzz!!!!!
    Amen brotha!
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

I’m loving the winter stoke! The smoke in the air is pissing me the fuck off. Nice to see a taste of winter.

I’ll admit to thinking about jumping ship over the last few months. Thankfully we have owned a home here for a good long time. If my kids wouldn’t kill me if I threatened moving, I would likely be studying maps of another, less populated and a little cheaper, mountain town. I have realtor friends beating down door to sell my house for stupid $. Given the trajectory of this valley, cashing out with a smile and good memories seems like a decent idea. Plenty of people I know went that route over the last year. But…I’d miss the shit out of my friends here and at the end of the day, I ain’t leaving cuz I paid stupid $ for 4 village passes for next season.

I’ll be enjoying Midnight North on the Center lawn this evening. Hope to run into a few of you there.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Ten years from now newbies will hear stories about how you "used to be able to rent a room in a house for only $1500 mo."
    Evolution of a ski town. I spent summers in Whistler way back in the day, skied the glacier in the AM coaching. People were already complaining about Blackcomb being built before they dug the first hole. Unfortunately it's what happens to cool places.

On a side note the camp director used to take kids who really miss-behaved to the end of the road that would eventually become Blackcomb and make them walk back in the dark a couple of miles. Heavy bear country back then...never had to do it twice. Probably jail time if you did it now.

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

As a complete noob here I’m still blown away by the beauty of this place, and have been lucky enough to connect with people my age who are super cool and all grew up in Jackson. I haven’t connected with anyone that shared similar passions while moving around the country until relocating to this area.

Despite the direction of the vill, town, etc, you have to understand this place still kicks the shit out many other locations. Any time I have friends visit they are completely blown away. The novelty wears off quickly though, so can only imagine what some of you long timers are feeling.

Still had a blast skiing with DJ and others this past winter and will be back for another next season.

PS- still want to ride with some of y’all this summer, hopefully the smoke clears up!

PPS- This recent weather is kind of fucked, they are having all boats pulled from Colter Bay by July 30th, possibly earlier…

Bronic... those are awesome life changing situations depicted in those pics ! Nice !

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Ten years from now newbies will hear stories about how you "used to be able to rent a room in a house for only $1500 mo."
    Evolution of a ski town. I spent summers in Whistler way back in the day, skied the glacier in the AM coaching. People were already complaining about Blackcomb being built before they dug the first hole. Unfortunately it's what happens to cool places.

On a side note the camp director used to take kids who really miss-behaved to the end of the road that would eventually become Blackcomb and make them walk back in the dark a couple of miles. Heavy bear country back then...never had to do it twice. Probably jail time if you did it now.
    Was walking back from the village one night , 12 or 13 tripping of some damn good beesters when I saw 2 Labradors coming down the path. As I got closer I realized it was 2 cubs and mama was to my right in the trees. Fuck that!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I was talking to my buddy who is losing his housing yesterday- he's gotten to the point where he's ready to go mentally. There's probably something to be said for the philosophical side of approaching those life changes with grace. He has an incredible run, and now he's off to kickstart a career and maybe a family in his mid 30s. He seems way more happy about the things he had and what he's got to look forward to than what he's losing.

Hats off to all of you who found a way to navigate yourselves into the golden age of Jackson Hole and be in the right place at the right time living out your dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I was talking to my buddy who is losing his housing yesterday- he's gotten to the point where he's ready to go mentally. There's probably something to be said for the philosophical side of approaching those life changes with grace. He has an incredible run, and now he's off to kickstart a career and maybe a family in his mid 30s. He seems way more happy about the things he had and what he's got to look forward to than what he's losing.

Hats off to all of you who found a way to navigate yourselves into the golden age of Jackson Hole and be in the right place at the right time living out your dreams.
    preservation worthy post -
    Very well stated !

And
    Thank you to those who have contributed "stoke" to these threads ( and these forums ) --
    I am grateful for the encouragement I have found here, and the friends I have though these forums - Thank you --

skiJ

Kinda like Schwerty said earlier, I paid the money for the 21-22 season pass so I'll be here, one way or another.
    Not skiing would hurt more than losing the money.

I think what we're all seeing and feeling is how bad it has become in just the past few years. Incrementally worse in 3-5 years than all 25 before it that I can opine on.

And my anchor here has always been the skiing at the village. I'd have been gone long ago had it been just Snow King.
    What with the vill having just recently sold out to the draw of the almighty dollar, and town going to hell in a hand basket in the last 3 years, what's left to love?
    I'ma gonna find a place short term hopefully and maaaaaybeee have a room to rent.
    (If so, I'll get back with those few of you who have already reached out to me about that for next winter.)
    Next summer though, who knows?
    The plan to close the Moose-wilson road all of next summer will put a crunch on traffic that most in this town have yet to confront. I could do without that.

I for one am dreading the 22 bridge replacement starting I believe next year. Hello 2 hour evening commutes to Teton Valley!
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I for one am dreading the 22 bridge replacement starting I believe next year. Hello 2 hour evening commutes to Teton Valley!
    Year after next according to wydot. And it's gonna be a major shitshow between the bridge, and redoing the 22/390 intersection. Be a good year to work in ID, and not commute.

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

Honest to god that traffic signal at the 22/390 intersection needs to go and be replaced with an over/under pass. Eastbound 22 uses right lane to access 390 and southbound 390 uses left lane to access 22 to town. In most circumstances I was able to avoid traffic after the ski day but left the village at the wrong time on a couple instances and it took 30-40 min just to get to 22. Must have taken over an hour to get back to town.

Not a huge fan of adding a ton of infrastructure because it will in inevitably encourage more development, but I think the right improvements to certain areas would make a huge difference.

It sounds like the 22 bridge is a done deal, maybe look to hop on with whatever company wins the bid as it could time out well with the conclusion of my current project.

WYDOT also currently lists 9 deficient bridges on the stretch from Rock Springs to Jackson (corridor 4).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Honest to god that traffic signal at the 22/390 intersection needs to go and be replaced with an over/under pass. Eastbound 22 uses right lane to access 390 and southbound 390 uses left lane to access 22 to town. In most circumstances I was able to avoid traffic after the ski day but left the village at the wrong time on a couple instances and it took 30-40 min just to get to 22. Must have taken over an hour to get back to town.
    How about a nice, big roundabout??

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    How about a nice, big roundabout??
    I chuckled.

But having moved to the land of rotaries, I must confess they do work well. But only if there are enough of them for folks to understand the function and rules. The tourist season here sucks. They just don’t have the balls and brains to make it work.
    And that JH airport rotary is stupid as fuck. The only reason was to slow people down. It had nothing to do with roads intersecting
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I chuckled.

But having moved to the land of rotaries, I must confess they do work well. But only if there are enough of them for folks to understand the function and rules. The tourist season here sucks. They just don’t have the balls and brains to make it work.
    And that JH airport rotary is stupid as fuck. The only reason was to slow people down. It had nothing to do with roads intersecting
    Yeah - I was half-kidding. I'd think that with the lack of a southern exit and most traffic probably going the same direction during parts of the day... a rotary might actually be a nice solution there.

But the lack of brains in the general population, as you indicate, would probably kill it before it got a chance.

The idea for a roundabout was discussed but they decided it wouldn't handle the volume.

Google wydot hwy390 and 22 and a coupla articles come up via the NaG and AP concerning the plans for that spot. A Florida T is the option they decided upon iirc.

When I moved here there was a stop sign on 390. Drive thru on 22 unimpeded. Almost all broken yellow to town and no Spring gulch light. And 55 year around.
    Simpler, faster times then.

I can still make it from town to the village in under 15 minutes at 6 am...
    edit: 12 minutes if it's nuking.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 07-13-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Name:	roundabout1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	379386

I was in Texas last week and had to explain to my Uber driver how roundabouts worked we can’t have nice things in America...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums