Page 29 of 105 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Thanks @wstdeep. No doubt. Wind howled over here, and it was warm and wet. I heard it was pretty cracky at ridgeline on the pass.

In other news, I finally got the permit (through Yostmark) to install a brand new Beacon Park in Coal Creek. I could insert a full-fledged rant about dealing with the Forest Service, but should probably keep my mouth shut. Scheduled to put it in on Saturday, but that might change. It'll be about 75 yards north of the parking lot- look for the orange box.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk
    This is awesome! Thanks! Good location.

Upallnight, I feel ya... sorry for the crowding you are seeing. Maybe the beacon park won’t have the effect you are thinking? I’m just a tourist a few times a winter over the past 8-9 years and I’ve also noticed the same trend you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    This is awesome! Thanks! Good location.

Upallnight, I feel ya... sorry for the crowding you are seeing. Maybe the beacon park won’t have the effect you are thinking? I’m just a tourist a few times a winter over the past 8-9 years and I’ve also noticed the same trend you mentioned.
    That location just might save a life or three
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

[QUOTE=upallnight;6199364]Kind of a bummer. That lot is not managed and seems to be filling up earlier and earlier. The average tour tends to be quite a bit longer than from the upper lot = less turnover. My gut tells me the average with 3-4h.

A beacon park is presumably going to bring more people, which creates more of an issue for parking. That said, with fewer spaces and less turnover, it also means many people who just want to show up for the beacon park are going to be turned away.

I haven't been turned away from that lot yet, but I have been the last person to get a legit spot on a given morning. With fewer people carpooling, it seems to be an issue.
    [QUOTE=upallnight;6199364]

@upallnight, I hear you. We tossed it around and around. Exum had a beacon basin up in Trail Creek for ten years and it didn't get much use. I think that this site won't draw new or specific users, but will hopefully entice some of the current users to take a practice spin through it, refresh some skills. I've been skiing the pass since the winter of 81-82, and can't even bear to think of the current traffic, whether I've been part of promoting it or not by guiding and teaching avalanche education.

@upallnight, I hear you. We tossed it around and around. Exum had a beacon basin up in Trail Creek for ten years and it didn't get much use. I think that this site won't draw new or specific users, but will hopefully entice some of the current users to take a practice spin through it, refresh some skills. I've been skiing the pass since the winter of 81-82, and can't even bear to think of the current traffic, whether I've been part of promoting it or not by guiding and teaching avalanche education.
    Yeah, it's not like there's a better alternative on the pass haha. Every lot is bursting at the seams. That said, I'm really stoked on the new R park beacon park, and I'm talking to the city about doing something at 5th Street Park. Not as fancy with real gear and such, but some target beacons, and instructions, maybe some free posters too.

I've tried to use that Trail Creek one a few times, and I've always been either too frothy to ski pow, or it hasn't been set up when I've gone by. My thinking is that something more accessible, in town, where there are no parking woes, and no fun skiing to miss out on would be sweet. I want to ride my bike over to 5th Street, drink beer with my friends, and dial in my beacon skills.

Stoked you made this happen HMS!

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Yeah, it's not like there's a better alternative on the pass haha. Every lot is bursting at the seams. That said, I'm really stoked on the new R park beacon park, and I'm talking to the city about doing something at 5th Street Park. Not as fancy with real gear and such, but some target beacons, and instructions, maybe some free posters too.

I've tried to use that Trail Creek one a few times, and I've always been either too frothy to ski pow, or it hasn't been set up when I've gone by. My thinking is that something more accessible, in town, where there are no parking woes, and no fun skiing to miss out on would be sweet. I want to ride my bike over to 5th Street, drink beer with my friends, and dial in my beacon skills.

Stoked you made this happen HMS!
    NM

It'll be interesting to see what the usage turns out to be.

As it happened, the friend I skied with today was stoked about it, saying he'd practice while waiting for a partner to arrive (he had to wait 30' for me today).

That said, I've passed the SK & JHMR beacon parks a ton and don't recall ever actually seeing anyone practicing. I've heard people TALK about it, just haven't witnessed it.

Will it save a life? Definitely cannot hurt, but it sounds like it would not have prevented the most recent deaths we've seen — no beacons/beacons not turned on. Perhaps taking up parking/reducing turnover is a form of prevention, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Man, I'm really needing my local mag fix... I got no Koko for my Crags, no Schwerty for my bowl laps, ineeds da babybear on my back. I crave an infusion of JHMags. S-I-J withdrawals are setting in. Oof.
    Gonna have to score me some lindenle...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skiing with EoB and his joisey bud yesterday provided me with a real treat.
    I'm running drag behind all the racers in the posse with 2bjenny when jersey comes screaming down between us and recognizes there's the dreaded cattrack right before him.

Of all the launch points he could have, he nails the tongue and boing...Pop goes the weasel!
    He skys about 30 vertical feet and goes maybe 40 feet forward. It was a very big arc, I can tell ya. He kinda backseats it and his tails flex a good 720 degrees before he sits it out.
    He only loses a pole.
    There was such an explosion of snow I couldn't even see him at first. Thing is, there was maybe an inch of rubbly pow. I think he left a crater where his impact vaporized some snow.
    As I ski towards him, he's up and at 'em. Hand him his pole, snicker and roll away. He passes me maching again. So funny.
    Haha cracking up rereading that play by play.

Nice meeting and skiing with ya 2bjenny. That was quite the crew we had going, I think 8 of us.

We’ll be out again Sat, if anyone’s around give a shout.

Forgot to post a bit of stoke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F5A1864.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	357976

Looking for a BC guide on Jan 23, 24 or 25th. Teton Pass or preferably GTNP. Will pay. Prefer someone who is a certified guide.
    PM me please.

Name:	Image1610744450.882385.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	358098

Name:	Image1610744476.789722.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	358099

Name:	Image1610744520.961237.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	859.9 KB 
ID:	358100

Had a couple great storm skiing days this week. Wednesday winds were about the strongest I’ve ever hiked the Glory Boot Pack in....

Yesterday, I made turns in the park with a couple friends, and had soft, creamy, snow in the safety of some trees.

Rain crust down low was very apparent, however!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPow View Post
    Looking for a BC guide on Jan 23, 24 or 25th. Teton Pass or preferably GTNP. Will pay. Prefer someone who is a certified guide.
    PM me please.
    Mr. Pow, if you’re looking for a certified guide you should probably just go through Exum or JH guides.

Although there certainly are guides on here, many will probably want to go through their employers due to insurance reasons.

Now, if you’re looking for a ski friend… might want to take a different approach

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Haha cracking up rereading that play by play.

Nice meeting and skiing with ya 2bjenny. That was quite the crew we had going, I think 8 of us.

We’ll be out again Sat, if anyone’s around give a shout.
    Nice meeting you guys too! The play by play had me cracking up - I just saw the explosion of snow and couldn't figure out why he was sitting on his tails.

Had fun skiing with the crew and got to visit with my sister that I had not seen in over a year. The open bar every afternoon at the 4S and dinner weds night of lobster tails and beef tenderloin was quite nice. They flew David Spade in for entertainment. He wasn't great, but he wasn't horrible either.

Now back to reality and putting out all the little fires at the office today.

Hope to be back that way soon! Need to hit up the Ghee too. We should get a crew together and go ski with LBL one day at Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post

Name:	Image1610744450.882385.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	358098
    Now that's a sweet shot. Lots to see with the clarity.

Snow pennant off of Mt. Owen,
    Nez Perce's shadow over Garnet canyon.

Great view of Irene's Arete and all of the buttresses of Disappointment peak.

Teepe Pillar looks amazing there as a gust of snow blows down the Middle Teton Glacier, over the Lower Saddle into the Moraine and Upper meadows.

I bet a winter bivy in Garnet that night would've sketched out 99% of peeps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2b - So glad we got some turns in; last time was too few. Next time, soon, we'll double down.
    David Spade...man I wish you would've thrown a shoe at him or something.
    So cool that you got the FoSaisons treatment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    EoB and Joisey - I'll be out early but no promises. As I got jacked multiple times this week for firsties, Today I was on the dock for 45 minutes before #'s 2 and 3 showed. it was the Pucker face rippers planning another onslaught.

Skied with the ladies long enough to introduce them to the 'Blue Room', a cave system on the upper mountain. They crawled in far enough for me to lose their voices; Me, I sat in the sun and seshed while they spelunked.

Peeps already in for the long weekend so early laps and patience will be key. And maybe alcohol and weed.

I'm missing my mags. we've had a parade of visiting friends so have been tied up doing ski meet-ups with them. But we'll be out tmrw with no other obligations so will holler to try to rendezvous

Are there still college groups taking trips this year? it felt that way a bit this week whenever I got out. or maybe just so many more youths around for the race

@babybear lets ski or ride!
    both!

bummed to miss 2bjenny again- but yess a KC meet up would be super fun
    I also like how many Superior sightings we've had this winter!
    skid luxury

Name:  youts.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  6.7 KB

Holla tomorra, EoB and ski220 will be around too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds like it's time for a mini summit at Kelly canyon; The east slopers, the west slopers and everyone else we can pull into the vortex of delirium.

Cool shot of The Grand ! I tried (successfully) getting a way from the crowds with field trips to check things out north and south. Didn't expect great turns but found a few decent ones here and there at mid elevations. On the dark side there were some pretty significant slides to poke around/view with debris piles across the out track 3-5 ft deep. One by AF has been detailed on the avi page but this one ran as far and about twice as wide.

Name:	IMG_4012.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	358144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4013.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	925.2 KB 
ID:	358145 .

"Zion" if you twist your head sideways, released up high, stepped down a bit and really strafed the rocky area below...wet in nature.

The big slide on Hunt was worth taking a look at all on it's own...no pics sorry

Looking forward: Super dense crusts/slab ranging from 4-6" up high over 2' of low density snow and a hard rain crust from about 7500 ft down and deep piles of Grauple all over in low or wind scalloped surface areas should be interesting with the next load.

I'm calling the day a win.

Hey folks
    Had my first real day at the village today after being gone for 5 wks. Went out to help my daughter prep for a Freeride comp next wknd.
    A handful of you guys/gals know but I recently lost my Dad to Covid. And..it had absolutely nothing to do with his life choices! Got it in a very reputable teaching hospital and couldn’t overcome the disease.
    So go figure, I’m a fucking asshole if someone comes within about 8’ of me without a mask.
    End take today - well, my kid might not ski with me at the resort for the rest of the year. Holy shit. The amount of people I told to their face that they were fucking idiots was silly!
    The under nose maskers were out in force. We had fun talking really loud about how dumb the under the nose people were. Made a difference, especially when I was upfront and said WE want to ski after your vacation. My kid was on fire calling out the fuckin morons that could follow really simple rules!
    We also saw a silly amount of really awful skiers out.

Pass tomorrow. Look out for the physical distance enforcer! I’m comin out swinging. Might even sharpen my tip.

DJ - my daughter asked if we could meet up with you today. Figured you were sans phone. If you’re out weekdays next week we’d love to catch up. Two lines picked out. Given my status I can only
    Coach from below. If you’re knee is up for a lap there she’d probably include you in her will.
    Last edited by schwerty; 01-16-2021 at 04:33 AM.

Love it, Schwerty!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    The big slide on Hunt was worth taking a look at all on it's own...no pics sorry

Name:	Mt Hunt slide.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	358165

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Hey folks
    Had my first real day at the village today after being gone for 5 wks. Went out to help my daughter prep for a Freeride comp next wknd.
    A handful of you guys/gals know but I recently lost my Dad to Covid. And..it had absolutely nothing to do with his life choices! Got it in a very reputable teaching hospital and couldn’t overcome the disease.
    So go figure, I’m a fucking asshole if someone comes within about 8’ years f me without a mask.
    End take today - well, my kid might not ski with at the resort for the rest of the year. Holy shit. The amount of people I told to their face that they were fucking idiots
    Surpassed my lifetime of telling people they suck. The under nose maskers were out in force. We had fun talking really loud about how dumb the under the nose people were. Made a difference, especially when I was upfront and said WE want to ski after your vacation. The single layer buffs got a beat down too. My kid was on fire calling out the fuckin morons that could follow really simple rules! (She sports a surgical mask and two layer cotton mask while skiing or training). Some 7 hour days, (no she ain’t a “schooler” with lift privileges), all the time and makes it home without suffocating!
    We also saw a silly amount of really awful skiers out there today. Watch your step over the weekend.
    Lots of train wrecks at the Village!

Covid monitor day1.5 = 3 people got my pole in their stomach, hard. One turd got it in his nose.
    Lots of fun telling idiots, they suck!
    One rippin young skier able to speak up and explain why we want to keep skiing. (I didn’t give her permission to jab people under their goggles but I fully endorsed her use of “fucking idiot” to anyone wearing a single layer buff under their nose).
    Pass tomorrow. Look out for the physical distance enforcer! I’m comin out swinging. Might even sharpen my tip.
    Upvoting this.

I haven't been out much at the village, it's not worth my anxiety. Early season when it was super quiet was almost like heaven, but when tourons started to rush in before the holidays was when I became very cautious. For some reason people like to get real close unless I stick my board right out. People taking off their fucking mask to eat in the line, making a mask useless while they eat and cough. Still people trying to run over my tail with their tips... uhhhh I hated this before covid and now with covid i'm like hell nah. I got some people shouting at me when I take a solo chair even when I line up in the general line... nah. I know enough people in town getting sick... This season I'm doing more conservative walking and skinning outside of the village. Taking me places I don't normally go... great to mix things up I think. I can always make up the days at the vill next season.

agree shwerty and xtine
    it was better early season but I've not been psyched with more recent occasions
    In line I've gotten to the point of dragging my skis way behind me like a lazy person bc invariably the people behind just crowd TF in if you don't create the barrier

around the holidays I just stayed away- figured we're lucky to be here and let the tourists have their enjoyment. but dang- we are getting all the snow in the region so then everyone wants to come here. which you can't blame them
    My buddy that lives in Park City said only 25% of the mtn is open
    skid luxury

Schwerty, really sorry about your Dad. You guys continue to be in our thoughts. And I'm damn glad you are giving them hell out there, they deserve it. Btw it's only two weeks till fishing season so hopefully I'll ski ya or fish ya in February.

BB I was using the double pole drag as well. We are going to need bigger poles!
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by xtine View Post
    Upvoting this.

I haven't been out much at the village, it's not worth my anxiety. Early season when it was super quiet was almost like heaven, but when tourons started to rush in before the holidays was when I became very cautious. For some reason people like to get real close unless I stick my board right out. People taking off their fucking mask to eat in the line, making a mask useless while they eat and cough. Still people trying to run over my tail with their tips... uhhhh I hated this before covid and now with covid i'm like hell nah. I got some people shouting at me when I take a solo chair even when I line up in the general line... nah. I know enough people in town getting sick... This season I'm doing more conservative walking and skinning outside of the village. Taking me places I don't normally go... great to mix things up I think. I can always make up the days at the vill next season.
    Hear ya! I throat punched, ( pole tip), some asshole today on Casper that bitched about me asking him not to join me and my kid on the chair. Lifty laughed and gave me a fist bump
    Last edited by schwerty; 01-16-2021 at 04:29 AM.

Ya baby ^^^^^^ fuck these assholes. I am beyond tired of telling people in my bubble to cover up and hearing "we're eating" or "do you work here" or any one of a dozen more comebacks. The resort puts up a big show but really shows that they could care less if you monitor actual enforcement after the morning rush.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    agree shwerty and xtine
    it was better early season but I've not been psyched with more recent occasions
    In line I've gotten to the point of dragging my skis way behind me like a lazy person bc invariably the people behind just crowd TF in if you don't create the barrier

around the holidays I just stayed away- figured we're lucky to be here and let the tourists have their enjoyment. but dang- we are getting all the snow in the region so then everyone wants to come here. which you can't blame them
    My buddy that lives in Park City said only 25% of the mtn is open
    I was dragging skis behind me on line. Same reason. Bridger line was crappy most days like that but we only had to ride it once I guess.

Snowbird tomorrow for me. Hope it’s more than 25% open.