Page 68 of 105 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2624
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    http://snowbrains.com/gaper-day-fire...-hole-wyoming/

To celebrate "Gaper Day" J-hole locals go out and light tree's on fire? WTF? It sounds like they've become what they are celebrating. Interesting vibe you have going on up there.
    Fucking Schoolers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    http://snowbrains.com/gaper-day-fire...-hole-wyoming/

To celebrate "Gaper Day" J-hole locals go out and light tree's on fire? WTF? It sounds like they've become what they are celebrating. Interesting vibe you have going on up there.
    Yeah, 500" over 4 months and a record snowfall of 196" for the month of February. Our vibe is rock solid.
    Also, Snowbrains for a source. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Fucking Schoolers.
    Fucking Toolers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That fire was nothing. 100% out of the ordinary? - Yes.

I went by yesterday and it appears one dead tree was lit and before it could even flame over to any others, they were felled. Actually more loss and damage from the response. Hardly any burned and a few ashes and cinders strewn around. Big fuckin deal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gdf3.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	370282

Name:	gdf2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	370283

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    So much angst in North Alabama, my favorite thread, just for the meltz

Name:	gdf1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	370284

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

SFB - I'm pretty dense, molecularly speaking. It takes some real oomph to get me to move my ass. Even for my brother...
    That was a great 'me and my friends' shebang, wasn't it?

Man, lot to unwrap in these last few pages.

- JH passes... discount prices start now? What the actual fuck, for the reasons mentioned earlier. I wonder how long they’ll honor those prices. Bought my pass in June or July last year when you could do the 40% down and pay the balance in October. Hopefully that’s still on the table.

2k could buy a full on fancy touring setup.. Targhee pass is in the options at this point.

Gaper day antics - I think the overall vibe was there, but was overshadowed by the transient drunks who heard about it through the grapevine and didn’t really understand what it was supposed to be about.

Casper was a shitshow, not because of the beach per se, or the snowballs being launched from the beach. It was the shear amount of absolutely hammered people on the slope. Someone at some point was gunna get run over, or be doing the running over. At the time it seemed like a lame proposition but in hindsight it was the right call. I don’t mind having a few beers on the hill but keep your fucking shit together.

Party seemed to move over to the Thunder Grand split under the tram. That group was way more in control, got a much more locally vibe there.

They actually had troopers dispersing people at Casper beach at the end of the day.. Multiple people taking the ride of shame down the gondi, too hammered to get down under their own power.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    and theyre will be bowling

If this covidz thing abates, I'll be more communicative.
    You're due in Silverton at some point.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 04-03-2021 at 10:24 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

In case anyone's missing/remembering Doug...

Today is 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Yeah, 500" over 4 months and a record snowfall of 196" for the month of February. Our vibe is rock solid.
    Also, Snowbrains for a source. Ouch.
    That fire was 100% out of the ordinary? - Yes.

Name:	gdf3.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	370282
    It's well known that Snowbrains founder Miles Clark is a highly respected, ethically sound, literarily gifted ski journalists as well as being the best skier on the mtn. Additionally, could this deliberate act of environmental terrorism have been perpetrated by extremists in an attempt to frighten Ikoner's into not coming to JH next season?

Yeah I don't know crap about snowbrains honestly. Their article just seemed to be a repost of the NaG and Buckrail articles. The worst part is when the fire marshall says Maybe there was a controlled burn going on...On the ski area? Hmmm.

But your thoughts on the ikon scare tactics are excellent and shall be filed away for further guidance. Nice insight.

I followed your thread this winter. Good stuff.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EastorBust nails it.

The transient drunks at Casper, The locals at Thunder.
    The gondy ride of shame...if you can't ski off the hill. well, go home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

The Man, The Myth, Our Legend -

Name:  doug1.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  22.1 KB
    Name:  doug2.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  9.1 KB
    Name:  doug3.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  3.8 KB
    15 years now...

Didn't get here soon enough to meet Coombs but can certainly feel his presence/effect in the people here.

Respect

Hopefully I'll see some of you kooks at Casper tomorrow.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Mag nano-summit : this Sunday at Casper restaurant at 11 +/- 10 minutes. Outside on the deck with the tables. It's gonna be warm. Swing by, meet some new mags, be social, yet distanced...maybe take a few laps and whatnot.
    Re-posted, look forward to seeing mags today.

Attending nano-mag summit virtually.

Big shout out to those I was fortunate enough
    to make some turns with this year - DJ, EoB, BrockLander and FullTrucker.

Had a little of everything.
    Early tram laps

Name:	20210404_103752.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	966.8 KB 
ID:	370402

Near constant snow in February.

Name:	20210404_101140.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	779.0 KB 
ID:	370397

To go with blue sky days.

Name:	20210404_101332.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	370399

And soft turns

Name:	20210404_100950.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	795.9 KB 
ID:	370400

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210116_074637.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	722.3 KB 
ID:	370396  

Today's meet up was a success with 6 rippers from here in the borderlands spinning power laps around the hill.
    Locals Swerve, SuperGaper, Lindenle and myself were joined by EastorBust representing the Spudrovians and Stevied, who's been turning here aplenty this winter from the True Upstate New York.

After a short meet and introductions we took laps on all the big zoomers.
    It was a little like old times.
    Everyone was more than comfortable slaloming the pokes and the corn just got better as we went and hit the upper mtn.

Hit a coupla Cheyenne bowl laps, thanks SG for showing us it was goodtogo. Popping and lockin' thru the steep slushy bumps with swerve and Stevie.
    EoB, quiet as usual and always right there. Kinda Ghostly.
    Lindenle and I went past the bowl for the trees. Choice 4" of corny sweetness thru steep, tight kinda fucked up bumps.
    You only really get one option in a few places. The 194 LPR's were reminding what it was like skiing this same line together over a decade ago.
    I was stronger, they were stiffer...

After multi laps we finished solid with a Cirque jaunt which was good but a little firm/soft. Worky for me.
    Was a long day. My 3 6th gear buds snagged me before the meetup and we spun about 8 laps maching early corn.

Thanks fellas for taking some time to turn; make a new friend or two, connections here are always good.
    And we thrive on our Passion together. That's good living right there.

Name:	codybowl 4421.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	389.3 KB 
ID:	370464

Rolling into the valley tomorrow evening, trying to decide if closing day is in the cards! I could stand to party a bit at the Hoback bench....

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    TBH I think there is a mischaracterization. I'm sure there are people who just want access for free.

However, there are many of us feel that the development could have been done in a different way — most notably without a really wide road cutting back and forth across the mountain. Ask Rod Newcomb & Bill Briggs their opinions.

I support paying for uphill access (*snowmaking* is reason enough, esp with our low snow early season in town).

It's interesting that they basically got everything they asked for, despite a large amount of public feedback.

Also, the lift on the backside.... WTF? There's barely any snow there. That lift would NOT be approved in Europe....... seems likely there will not be any snow at that elevation/aspect within 5-10 years.
    I don't know man, I'd be more inclined to believe that if every little thing, notably the replacement of the summit lift, wasn't blockaded for the better part of a decade every step along the way.

The access road is not unreasonable in my opinion and the only gripe is it will be more controlled in terms of the hikers and where/when they are allowed on it. Having it extend a couple hundred feet under the s chutes is not going to change the overall aesthetic of the mountain. I also suspect that it is a requirement imposed upon them in certain respects.

Also, didn't the zip line get punted? Seems to me the FS approved the ski area stuff but has kicked the can on the amusement park stuff, which seems fair enough in my eyes. I think the backside will be a nice ski when open, which it can be for probably Jan and Feb without to much effort. It will also basically be the only intermediate terrain on the mountain.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I don't know man, I'd be more inclined to believe that if every little thing, notably the replacement of the summit lift, wasn't blockaded for the better part of a decade every step along the way.

The access road is not unreasonable in my opinion and the only gripe is it will be more controlled in terms of the hikers and where/when they are allowed on it. Having it extend a couple hundred feet under the s chutes is not going to change the overall aesthetic of the mountain. I also suspect that it is a requirement imposed upon them in certain respects.

Also, didn't the zip line get punted? Seems to me the FS approved the ski area stuff but has kicked the can on the amusement park stuff, which seems fair enough in my eyes. I think the backside will be a nice ski when open, which it can be for probably Jan and Feb without to much effort. It will also basically be the only intermediate terrain on the mountain.
    I was following a Facebook page for a while, some sort of save the King kind of movement and I couldn't help but to troll em a little. It was like, you guys are seriously butt hurt over some changes at Snow King? Like really? Wow.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

500"

Another Stellar season in Jackson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    As for the King, I support the incoming Gondola. It'll make that somewhat unbearable ride so much better. And that mountain deserves more business.
    A lot of the other shit that they are pushing, not so much. Natural recreation is off the hook here. Ziplines and alpine slides are for places that have very little to offer otherwise, IMO.

I would support a zipline at the village from above Corbet's, over tensleep to the top of the Gondy. From there, traversing the village in about 8 separate sections to the base.
    How long until the first cardiac arrest rolling out over 10sleep bowl ??!!!!

From where is the gondola funding coming? Does Snow King expose that?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

500"

Another Stellar season in Jackson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    As for the King, I support the incoming Gondola. It'll make that somewhat unbearable ride so much better. And that mountain deserves more business.
    A lot of the other shit that they are pushing, not so much. Natural recreation is off the hook here. Ziplines and alpine slides are for places that have very little to offer otherwise, IMO.

I would support a zipline at the village from above Corbet's, over tensleep to the top of the Gondy. From there, traversing the village in about 8 separate sections to the base.
    How long until the first cardiac arrest rolling out over 10sleep bowl ??!!!!
    A friend is behind the anti-Snow Kong development group, and I haven’t agreed with her on it once. Is a zip line and slides maybe a bit over the top? Yeah, but if it allows SK to make more money to offer a better product in the winter, I’m not really against it. I just wish they hadn’t dropped the MTB trail expansion idea, that to me was the most attractive thing in their expansion plan.

Oh, zip line from the top of the tram to the top of the gondi? Count me in!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    From where is the gondola funding coming? Does Snow King expose that?
    Max Chapman.

And as to MTB development, I am of mixed opinions. As much as the idea of hot laps from my house is attractive, the thought of dozens and dozens of riders coming off the top and down Ferris’s, Wilson’s, Josies Ridge, (sink or swim) is absolutely a non-starter for me. We have too much potential conflict on those trails already.

Disclosure: in ‘13 I was hired by Manuel to design and build trails. I told them that in my opinion, anything interesting would have to run from the top to Josies, and maybe up into Cache, but that was in no way a possibility with the FS, and I wasn’t interested. If there were trails only on the FS permit land, it would be *maybe* two trails from the top, which would be steep with about 30-50 switchbacks that repeatedly crossed the road. There just isn’t enough lateral acreage. In other words, crappy. I think they consulted with some more known trail designers, but I wasn’t privy to those conversations.
    Last edited by rideit; 04-06-2021 at 04:39 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Chapman, owner of Brooks Lake lodge as well. Google about the fishkills in the lake beside it due to his ineptitude with their sewage.
    Not a ton of fans in this town for him.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Walk-on lifts everywhere now. Dang quiet on the hill.

Nice...

Hearing Music on Main is a tentative go in some capacity. Mag mini there this Summer?

Solid idea, Really missed MOM last year. Still have some free beer tokens to boot.

I'm down for a summer mini summit fosho.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I heard the other day from a solid mag that the tram work needing to be done is to spruce up the bollards on top. That's def a no fly time.

A slight dislocation of the Fibular head has made me second guess turning anymore this year. Not over it yet but pretty full of turns for a few months. Just clicked thru the century mark and gots no goals remaining for this season (except don't fuck it up again).

Vax #2 today, stoked for that.

The village is dead. Ski-on anywhere, anytime, on super coverage and quality turns.

Buddy vouchers abound in here. I'ma gonna give mine to a Dad who's spending the coin on his family. Prolly this weekend. That should cover the food and fuel expenses...

A slight dislocation of the Fibular head has made me second guess turning anymore this year. Not over it yet but pretty full of turns for a few months. Just clicked thru the century mark and gots no goals remaining for this season (except don't fuck it up again).

Vax #2 today, stoked for that.

Hope you heal up fast and come back strong.
    Looking forwards to next season already.

Got my second Pfizer yesterday. Feeling liberated.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Hearing Music on Main is a tentative go in some capacity. Mag mini there this Summer?
    This is relevant to my interests.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.