Page 33 of 105 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Hitting the road and arriving in town tonight! Skiing the village mon-fri next week, turns with friends will be had. Rumor is sirvic is making an appearance next week too...

Looks like a bit of a sleeper today, wasn't expecting 9 more overnight!
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I don't know man. they're a bit much for me these days!
    I don't want you, or anybody for that matter, to get hurt... but, c'mon! (and we need photos of the adventure)

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Are you trying to rent tele gear as a means of accessing the backcountry? Why not rent AT gear?
    Nope, I have AT setups. Just have had the good fortune of skiing with some ripping tele’rs the last month or so and remember it being pretty fun last time I tried it (5 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    My tele setup is leather and pins. Probably should try a modern setup some time.
    It’s mind blowing.

Even stepping up from plastic boots to ntn boots was a huge change on edge control and power.

Years ago used to have tele day at the village. Was so weird not being able to ski normally. But also a fun change of pace in a dry spell.
    . . .

I used to get out on em too a few times a year. With poles I was not so good but with a long piece of bamboo I could get around pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Nope, I have AT setups. Just have had the good fortune of skiing with some ripping tele’rs the last month or so and remember it being pretty fun last time I tried it (5 years ago).
    Targhee can be fun to rip around on tele. I haven't had my set up out in a few years.

The rust on the edges of my tele skis mirrors the arthritis inside my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    The rust on the edges of my tele skis mirrors the arthritis inside my knees.
    Don’t go so low.
    A two foot spread is enough. Less pain and makes lead changes quicker.

It’s great thigh burning training. Do it early season when it’s groomers only.
    I tele a few days out east before skiing the big one. It’s the only way I know to get a solid leg burner (that’s also fun, eg gym lunges suck).
    . . .

Damn Fine Day was had. #grateful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any incoming mags need a quality place to stay in the village, my 2br condo open Feb 13-17 and 22-25. Can cut you a mag sized discount. Also a couple dates left in March. PM if interested
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Looks like a bit of a sleeper today, wasn't expecting 9 more overnight!
    Wasn't a day to sleep in for sure.
    People cooking breakfast in the tram line.
    Love it.

Word. No judgment — I asked because I have a few friends who have thought tele gear is THE way to get into the backcountry. They didn't know that AT gear is lighter and more capable.

Been a long time since I was on tele gear.

Tonights skies weren't as dramatic as last night's, but finishing a pow lap just before it got fully dark is always cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F5A2211.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	359253

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    People cooking breakfast in the tram line.
    Love it.
    GNAR
    . . .

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Any incoming mags need a quality place to stay in the village, my 2br condo open Feb 13-17 and 22-25. Can cut you a mag sized discount. Also a couple dates left in March. PM if interested
    PM incoming

Thefortrees and Kokomas, you guys will be friends quick, if not already. Good minds go together...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday sucked for me as I didn't even look at the snow report other than how much was on the pathy in the am.

Mistake.

Decided to go out anyway and promptly got behind the wydot plow.
    He began throwing sand down in town at about 8:20 and slowly headed out to the village. He created a line of 25 mph traffic from town to the vill.

I roll into the ranch lot and now the mile of traffic in front of me is parking and I gots about 75 peeps right next to me.
    Damn downright depressing. Told myself if I could deal with that drive, I could stand in a line for a lap.
    Had another sesh as peeps booted up and rolled out.

I got in tram line right where the snow meets the dock, took an hour and 10 from there to get to the top.
    There was a fair amount of obnoxiousness and a solid attempt at line cutting that got policed pretty heavily by two local boss types. GTFO.
    After a cup o' joe at the summit, I rolled a firsties lap through RS, which was well worth the wait. Boottop from the gates on down, kinda felt the wind affected snow in the bowl was stiff and shallower.
    Almost stopped for a pic or two but the clouds were all around and well, it just ain't my M.O..
    A solitary 4k vert with about 10-20" of untracked. No suckage there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CS - I remember those Tele Demo days. Likely the first and last season I tele'd was 1992 at such an event.
    Think I still have the Croakie with the Teton mountaineering or skinny skis logo on it with a Life-link demo phrase to boot.
    I could ski them alpinish right outta the gates, dropping a knee was not hard but not too burly. Five turns off piste and I'd be deep in the Kimchi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
    Nothing, and I mean nothing, says poseur like cooking in the Tram line. I put it right up there with smoking a cigarette in the middle of the maze, or doing shots before first box.
    In my tram dock time, I've seen it done maybe thrice.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TFT, SVS, and Pfluffenmeister to turn with this week, I am excited!

Day off from the shiteshow, to get my legs strong for ripping with the Mags...

Tetons deliver again... feel so fortunate to ski around here every now and then.

Name:	IMG_0440.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	359345

Name:	IMG_0408.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	359346

Name:	63311980247__3A6DF160-06C9-4AD5-BBB0-E1722AF1706C.fullsizerender.JPG 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	359347

Name:	IMG_0430.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	359348

Name:	IMG_0412.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	359349

Name:	IMG_0418.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	359350

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

Yesterday sucked for me as I didn't even look at the snow report other than how much was on the pathy in the am.
    Yeah.... that 1mm in town was deceptive!

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Nothing, and I mean nothing, says poseur like cooking in the Tram line. I put it right up there with smoking a cigarette in the middle of the maze, or doing shots before first box.
    In my tram dock time, I've seen it done maybe thrice.
    Lol... I think they're referring to this:

Name:	IMG_6169.jpg 
Size:	527.4 KB 
ID:	359356

I lived @ Squaw for a few winters.... back in the Shane/Gaffney/etc era. God it was so fun/not so serious.

Here's some more ridiculous stuff. Some of it probably only hits if you know Squaw/locs from that period:

Name:	IMG_6170.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	475.3 KB 
ID:	359357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6171.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	612.0 KB 
ID:	359358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6172.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	498.6 KB 
ID:	359359

Fuckin hell today was interesting. Between catching both tips on a rock first turn into pairachutes and almost tomahawking down, skiing untracked waist deep pow (seriously) that apparently the other people hiking the hw were not interested in, then blowing myself up in the flat light bumps on wally world. Good to be young lol.

Tele turns tomorrow

Also going to shoot you a PM kokomas

Fuckin hell today was interesting. Between catching both tips on a rock first turn into pairachutes and almost tomahawking down, skiing untracked waist deep pow (seriously) that apparently the other people hiking the hw were not interested in, then blowing myself up in the flat light bumps on wally world. Good to be young lol.

Tele turns tomorrow

Also going to shoot you a PM kokomas

See ya on the silk, I'll bring the meds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Suhweeeet shots TfT, That's a choice start to a vacation. Welcome back to the valley.

Holla whenevahs

Also... recently found this gem while moving some stuff. It's a scan of an old photo of mine (early 2000s) from the Squaw pond skim. That's Shane on the front, on a mono ski with 2 bindings, with Squaw legend Lee Dube behind him.

Was a lucky single-shot from a pocket point-and-shoot for me.

Name:	Lee-Shane-Monoski.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	359363

Still have a pair of Spatulas I got from Shane's garage. I sometimes think about mounting them with a set of Dynafits/tech bindings...or maybe I should sell 'em.

... skiing untracked waist deep pow (seriously) ...
    Can we talk about these terms for a minute?

Not doubting your experience other than it brings up a topic. In general I find people saying things like "it was knee-deep" or "waist-deep" or "chest-deep" when there is 6", 10", 18"...

People (broadly) are changing the meaning of those terms to mean "I made a couple turns and snow hit me in the (knee/waist/chest)." Like, yeah, a foot of snow billows up, but that's not the same as "waist-deep."

Not gonna argue that I can be crusty; in this case, words have meaning and I'd rather we just stick with them.

Anyone else?

^ Hehe, ok so maybe I was exaggerating a bit.. But, looking back at my trenches they were at least 2’. I would confidently say about thigh deep. I still don’t know the mountain too well but it seems this particular zone got loaded up, because the chutes directly below had about 6-8” over rocks. Ask me how I know

^ Hehe, ok so maybe I was exaggerating a bit.. But, looking back at my trenches they were at least 2’. I would confidently say about thigh deep. I still don’t know the mountain too well but it seems this particular zone got loaded up, because the chutes directly below had about 6-8” over rocks. Ask me how I know
    Wasn't so much commenting on YOU as a general sign of the times. When "12 inches" becomes "waist-deep", "waist-deep" has lost its meaning.

I also feel like we don't penetrate as far into the snowpack with fatter boards, so harder to truly be waist-deep on 115 underfoot.

On your tele gear you're gonna be neck-deep tomorrow!!! ;-) (I can see that as a fun reason to tele... IF one drops a knee. The Village locs who are wearing the stiffest boots in order to turn an alpine ski while not dropping a knee in 30 years.... has and always will be interesting to me.)
    Last edited by upallnight; 01-23-2021 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Autocorrect changed "locs" to "lots"; I changed it back

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Wasn't so much commenting on YOU as a general sign of the times. When "12 inches" becomes "waist-deep", "waist-deep" has lost its meaning.

I also feel like we don't penetrate as far into the snowpack with fatter boards, so harder to truly be waist-deep on 115 underfoot.

On your tele gear you're gonna be neck-deep tomorrow!!! ;-) (I can see that as a fun reason to tele... IF one drops a knee. The Village lots who are wearing the stiffest boots in order to turn an alpine ski while not dropping a knee in 30 years.... has and always will be interesting to me.)
    I always drop the knee, just haven't been able to get back up in the last 25 years Those 68 yo knees hurt. I ski tele gear to get where I need to go.