Page 83 of 105 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2624
    Came through the park (outer road) at about 11 last night, there were rv’s, campers, Sprinters, etc, in every pullout marked ‘no camping’. Was curious myself.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

So, anyone have a great engine repair dude in the valley? Got an estimate from Roy who suggests a complete engine rebuild, but I *think* it only needs one cylinder head/valve worked on. Looking for a second opinion.

Howzabout Jimmy Burnside?

You know I'm not a Roy fan...

every wrench is no doubt charging the premium rate now too.

I'd be looking in star valley, surely there's a decent truck mech down there with a sense of morals/ethics.

Just noticed yer looking for a 2nd opine, dangit.
    can you get it to the dealer?

Yeah, drives fine for now, apparently running on 7 cylinders instead of 8. I *might* try IF...

One cylinder head does not equal one valve. But assuming it is one valve, the labor load to get to that one is basically the same as doing all of them, at least on that side. And if one is gone, the rest aren't far behind IME, assuming it has enough miles this was a wear and tear type thing and not a fluke failure.

I feel ya though. I'm currently in a wave of car repair annoyance myself. Tires and windshield for the Tundra for 2k. Brakes on my Wrangler for 500, plus suspension bushings as its getting a little wobbly with its solid front axle, so tack on another 500 or whatever to fix all that. And I've got a pinhole leak in my Lexus radiator. At least the radiator is cheap at like 200 bucks. My next like 4 weekends are pretty much going to be spent rolling around in my gravel driveway.
    Live Free or Die

I also like Mark's Foreign Auto over by Bison Lumber. Full disclosure, he isn't cheap, and is very much like the mechanic from Seinfeld who will think you don't take good enough care of your vehicle, but he is very good at repairs and is very fair in terms of only replacing what is needed.
    Live Free or Die

Thanks for that. I think our current strategy is to just limp along with it until either it fails, or the used market comes back down from the stratosphere. We will just mostly use wifey’s car for now.

Disney princess forced out JHMR CFO and their dir of communications, both of whom cared just a bit too much for the soul of the resort dying and can't have that on her watch!

Whoa
    Live Free or Die

Reading the tea leaves, when I see ouster of top brass with no effort to replace I'm smelling sale on horizon. Caveat: I'm prone to wild conjecture and baseless conspiracy theories... which always turn out to be true in my experience.

Publicly they are leaving of their own volition and are wished the best of luck in future endeavors.
    I say forced out.

It has all the hallmarks of gearing up for a sale in my experience as well.

I put the over under at one billion dollars. Place your bets.
    Live Free or Die

What will the baked potato bar cost now? $30?
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

~ ~ SKI THE BIG ONE ~ ~ JACKSON HOLE '20-'21

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    It has all the hallmarks of gearing up for a sale in my experience as well.

I put the over under at one billion dollars. Place your bets.
    Under, but close. Biggest day is 12-14k people, usually closer to 6k. They might bring in $150m on off tickets a year, with a bit of rounding. Say maybe 3x that with guides, lessons, food, retail, rentals, so $450m. Big leap to get to $1b...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Under, but close. Biggest day is 12-14k people, usually closer to 6k. They might bring in $150m on off tickets a year, with a bit of rounding. Say maybe 3x that with guides, lessons, food, retail, rentals, so $450m. Big leap to get to $1b...

TGR Forums

I would be curious about actual numbers --

lodging ?

IF lodging is all third-party, that's a pretty big hit --

I have a hard time believing ancillary income is twice lift (ticket. including passes ) at JHMR ;
    I would guess on "an average day" sixty-five percent of JHMR riders are passholders. That's different than 6k x window price.

150M in lift sales ? I will take that bet ;

operating expenses... ( vail has a nice model )

My gut reaction is two times annual revenue would be a Great deal for a buyer...

is the ski area leased or Private ? OneB for that piece of rock, ,,, I believe is Very possible in 2021...

an area in my region sold a while ago with 80G down, and 2.4M in government-guaranteed loans ;
    two years later, the chalet burned and they built a 6M dollar monument ( new chalet ) .

IF annual revenue is 450M, I will take the over on OneB ( Especially If the ski area ( at least original boundaries is Private ))

but that is just me, talking out of my butt.

Good luck.
    skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    A quick search puts JHMR's annual revenue around $125mm. I'd be surprised if it sold for less than $1b when the time comes. Cheaper to buy it than to try to build something comparable I'd bet, especially since it seems like leasing land or securing land for new ski resorts is all but impossible.

The ski area lies on Forest service land, leased.
    The Kemmerer family bought it in mid 90's for about 20 Million +/-.

All but 2 lifts have been replaced and 2 gondolas added, and the marmot chair.

Most on mountain infrastructure is the same as ever except the retail space at the bridger top station and the snowmaking...which is actually becoming detrimental the more they add.
    Retail at the base has expanded, Bridger center, TVS...

The mass exodus for this valley draws nearer I think. Even the K clan are ready to cash out. I don't think it'll be a billion, but 450M+.
    It'll be between Vail and Alterra as they both have the money and desire to own it. It will undoubtedly become the crown jewel in their portfolios and a bragging right.

If you think the skiing has begun to blow now, give it 5 years.

I am forced prematurely to initiate my exit strategy and expect to leave here within 2 years.
    I never planned to live here for so long, one of those guys who came here and got stuck in the deep pow.
    Hearing about 20 year overstays used to make me laugh; now, 31 years into it, I realize what a grand ride it's been.
    In today's paper, there's a 4 bedroom townhome/condo in the Aspens for 2.25M. Or you could spend 1.9M for over 100 acres on a kinda famous historic ranch down Pinedale way, the old Brazille ranch. Bring yer hat and cattle.

The village is the only thing that has kept me here for so long.
    Mother nature has her business dialed tight out there.

Unfortunately human nature has succeeded in undoing some of her wonder.

And fucking dirt pimps.

^Damn, Django. I hope to get some turns with you before you bail.

Anyone looking for a place to rent? This seems like a steal, since it lets you set up Wyoming tax residency and your kids can walk to school!
    Name:  218374502_10108922967079343_6949678567493665696_n.jpeg
Views: 424
Size:  65.9 KB

My previous company was profiting <$30MM per year and recently sold for $1.3 billion. I can't envision JHMR selling for less than a billion dollars- asset valuations are through the roof at the moment and leveraged debt acquisitions are insanely cheap for companies like Vail because interest rates are so low.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I am forced prematurely to initiate my exit strategy and expect to leave here within 2 years.
    I
    I hope I can make it up there to ski the village with you before you are out.

I saw the writing on the wall for Little Cottonwood last year and decided I needed a break. Not ready to say I'll never be back in a ski town, but for now anyways.

I don't love driving 75 min each way to ski, but being away from the BS that living in a ski town is currently I guess I'm okay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    ^Damn, Django. I hope to get some turns with you before you bail.

Name:  218374502_10108922967079343_6949678567493665696_n.jpeg
Views: 424
Size:  65.9 KB
    I plan on being here all of this winter but who fuggin knows at this point...

I've seen that ad, makes me wanna puke. 45k just to step thru the doorway.
    Fuck you, you're a rapist.
    Pet negotiable. For that kinda money, it should include 2 cool pets.
    In Wilson next to the elementary school? I don't think the Teton views are likely or good, if you can see it.

Why would you need a 15k security deposit? If someone does that much damage, I'd expect a lawsuit.

I got $.37 says it's a dirt pimp listing of some Prugh box new west cubicle.

hey, Dj - thanks for the insight --

I am sad and feel badly for my contemporaries who are moving on this side of Fifty. it is not easy...

There are future adventures to be had - they may not be Powder days ( although I think there can still be Good skiing If Life allows one to relocate within a reasonable distance of a smaller ski area ( nameless. Choose yours ! ) )

I was in Aspen in the 1960s. it was a Cool mountain town. Today, I don't even have any interest -

Same for Ketchum - where I spent a week in 1987, where I got a one bed cabin for 35. / night --

each generation has it's 'glory days' ...

I look forward to hearing of your future adventures - including another year ( or two ) opening the tram at Teton Village...

Thank you for the "stoke" you have created through these threads...

Respectfully. skiJ

SA91 - I'm probably gonna be ok getting outta here as the cost of living is becoming unbearable for a ski bum; and the skiing is just not what it used to be.
    Had they ditched the Ikon, those days may have lasted a bit longer but now it's just a matter of time before the village becomes another broken model for quality skiing.

But no, they couldn't pass up rejoining the destroyer of quality skiing. For a moment I liked the idea of Ikon allowing more people to enjoy skiing. Ultimately though, I see that it is the maximizer of people on slope and to me, that's the experience breaker.
    'Who cares if the acreage can carry only so many skiers, we're gonna make a mint offa doubling that capacity with flatlanders that ski twice a decade.'

Last year I had to get in the tram line at such an obnoxiously early hour to get first tram/tracks.
    Sooooo many locals bailing out because of that kinda crap. My friend just sold his restaurant, The Blue Lion, and moved over into the Drictor zone. 42 years here for him...
    I'd almost say that over the hill is the place to go but they're prepping to attempt to explode the 'Ghee size and scope. It'll be fucked sooner than later.

It's gonna snow 700" next season.

Trying to end on a good vibe...

definitely need to make it up there this winter. missed the annual pilgrimage. I enjoy skiing the village regardless of conditions, and the mag force up there is one of the best around.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I, too, need to get up to the Village this winter...

At what point do we stop calling in the Village and start calling it Vail north? Doesn't look like a village anymore.

Asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    At what point do we stop calling in the Village and start calling it Vail north? Doesn't look like a village anymore.

Asking for a friend...
    When Vail buys 'em?