Page 51 of 105 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2624
    Goddammit. Fuck.

Vibes to the survivors, friends of the deceased, and the first responders.

This season is just brutal.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Fuck

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fuck. 25 short was always a relatively safe tour. Can’t remember a fatality there. RIP.

In the box this morning they said hunt was D4 with a 72” crown.
    Fucking huge.
    Those pics are savage

Be safe. Think twice.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Fuck. 25 short was always a relatively safe tour. Can’t remember a fatality there. RIP.

In the box this morning they said hunt was D4 with a 72” crown.
    Fucking huge.
    Those pics are savage

Be safe. Think twice.
    This avalanche was on the north side of 25 short. Whole different animal. Steep rocky terrain. And on the front side of 25 short, dropping into any of the gullies that drain it to the east puts you in large terrain traps where there have been multiple avalanches over the years. Stay on the ridges!

This wind is driving me crazy. Supposed to tour top of the pass on a Pro 1 and I can't help this feeling of dread. Hope I can make it back home tonight. And tomorrow we are headed to Togwotee. Don't want to get stuck at Togwotee Lodge til the wind stops, so I better bring my toothbrush, haha.

++vibes to y'all up there, sounds similar to what's happening down this way. Stay safe out there, make smart choices, ski another day.

I'm headed up thatta way this Friday, just in time to add a green plate to the junkshow. Staying in rideit's driveway most likely, skiing Sat-Sun then headed to SLC to meet up with a friend. Mountain Collective mini-tour if you will. Wouldn't say no to a lap or a beer with any of y'all, I'll do my best to keep up. Bringing touring gear, but with the snow y'all have been getting I'm perfectly content to staying on the avy-controlled side of the rope, inbounds JH is super fun and plenty challenging for this guy.

Question: is there a good source for info on I-80 closures, and how likely it is to be closed? I have a couple meetings during the day on Friday, kinda need to plan out my route and timing to make sure I have cell coverage during the drive.

Offer: If any of y'all need/want something schlepped up from Denvertucky, I could see about bringing it up for ya. Like a Craig's List score or something like that? A couple weeks back, rideit delivered a couple of fat bikes to me and my gal that we had bought from a shop in Jackson. Figured I'd throw it out there if anyone had a similar thing going and was trying to sort out shipping.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Snowing and blowing HARD at Targhee. Late opening seems likely. 33 is closed if you’re coming from that way.

full trucker - wyo dot i-80 page - https://wyoroad.info/pls/Browse/WRR....ectedRoute=I80

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    Snowing and blowing HARD at Targhee. Late opening seems likely. 33 is closed if you’re coming from that way.
    26 and 32 too. Snow day for the kiddos.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    26 and 32 too. Snow day for the kiddos.
    The Idaho 511 cams look like something out of Dr. Zhivago.

The wind is so strange this year, it's calm just a little more to west (not to jinx us). We had some breezes this morning, but now it is calm & sunny. Between all the road closure between here and there, and covid, I am not too sad to have not been able to get out much yet this season with work being crazy.

Holy crap was that a big windy squall or what?
    Nada at 7 at AV then nuking by 8:30 and a downright blizzard by 9.
    All done and sun breaking thru by 11. Musta dropped 6" in about the first 3 hours.
    On top of the trace they called it at 6am.

Skiing down Moran groomer with boottop wind deposited powpow, it was just plowing right up into the crotch, tickling the nads.
    For about a 1/2 mile and 200 turns. So sublime, that firsties lap.
    No one around, 20m turns and a ground blizzard with plumes flying up to the left as the crosswind grabs the turn splash.

Howling winds kept sublette down, tram made about 2 laps before shutting down, then thunder as well. I made a handful of tree laps and a coupla my usual stash shots to boot. Flawless as ever for a while, before the schoolers come tooling around.
    Another morning of fun short stacks of pow to play in. Untracked lines were still around at 11 and the upper mtn should be as flat as a piece of paper.
    Big mtn. just opened up...

curious if anyone knows why the village road was shut down for a few hours this morning. was it just the weather or was there an accident?
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

They call it the windy mile for a reason.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    They call it the windy mile for a reason.
    Buddy passes me the pipe for a toke and that stretch and the wind knocked my full size pickup sideways. I calmly steered us back on course and took a hit. Gotta day for a minute I thought I was a badass. That stretch of road howls and ices up like crazy,

Lotta bombs midday. Not sure if they came from gasex on pass or the resort, guessing the latter. Anyone know what was going on?
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

In the ranch lot, I had a 12" drift formed outside the door of my car between 8 and 11.
    I'd bet some drifting and snowload on the upper mtn. for extra late day avy control. Maybe couldn't get to some routes early on.
    And trying to get some big stuff to move that might've locked up yesterday.

I bet the moose-wilson road was a whiteout with some sweet ass drifts and berms forming on the southbound lane.
    It was only closed for an hour, while I was skiing pow laps all alone. Killing it.
    10 laps at mid mountain in 2 hours. All untracked, everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    In the ranch lot, I had a 12" drift formed outside the door of my car between 8 and 11.
    I'd bet some drifting and snowload on the upper mtn. for extra late day avy control. Maybe couldn't get to some routes early on.
    And trying to get some big stuff to move that might've locked up yesterday.

I bet the moose-wilson road was a whiteout with some sweet ass drifts and berms forming on the southbound lane.
    It was only closed for an hour, while I was skiing pow laps all alone. Killing it.
    10 laps at mid mountain in 2 hours. All untracked, everywhere.
    Country Club Djongo!! Those days are golden.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Lotta bombs midday. Not sure if they came from gasex on pass or the resort, guessing the latter. Anyone know what was going on?
    It looks like they were bombing the cliffs above Thunder terminus. Saw smoke come from that way around 11:30ish am.

Somehow, the day got better once the cold wind picked up again around mid day... But the lift lines were not fun.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    After the pass closed this morning around 9am the decision was made to do avalanche control work. Control work was done around 1130-12. Not sure why the picture it uploading sideways, but you get the ideaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	6840610C-9672-403B-8AA4-DA7C7AD729BD.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	579.0 KB 
ID:	364550
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31F6B9BD-A1AB-44F5-B9AB-AA6D4ECEFC64.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	697.3 KB 
ID:	364548  

the pass snow pack is bomber right now
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WYO22TetonPassWest.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	364553
    that looked like fun..

That was a fucked up day.
    But fkna awesome skiing. Once you found it.

Had many delayed openings over the years.
    But hearing four bombs upper mountain, from the top of Teton lift?
    At noon?

Then catching thunder open. And sublette. At 1pm?
    Bizarre
    . . .

Up on beards today, the wind ruined the entire face, turned bottomless pow to slab overnight, crazy.

The west slope pow blew over onto the east slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    The west slope pow blew over onto the east slope.
    Damn, that’s where it went!

https://buckrail.com/february-2021-o...ecord-at-jhmr/
    i think we all knew that this cycle was going to be historic. top 5 sweeet